• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Village - Review Thread

AGRacing

Gold Member
I like a few of the Easy Allies guys... but haven't been getting around to watching them... I'm shocked they aren't over 300K subs.

I remember Huber was a huge RE guy. I'd love to see him stream it.

Dr.Morris79

I would actually play FIFA more if it had a bonus 'gun mode' or a punch button. 😆
I found your perfect game!

j91KFG9.jpg

...'Get your ice cream'

Mozzarella

Oh i predicted 94 score, looks like i was mistaken.
Its a good score but if im being honest, most of the higher scores are overrated games, metacritic is not my go to when i decide to play games. I'm going to wait for community thoughts first, those are more honest people, and probably some Youtubers? though some of them these days are also sellouts that appeal and say whatever gets them more money and donations.

Astral Dog

Doesn't seem like an absolute must play to me.

Plus I kinda just want them to go back 3rd Person anyway, RE2R was great.
i bet IX is gonna be third person(with plenty action still, sorry horror fans), third person RE was never dead first person just works well for Ethan.

Anyways, for me REmake2 is a little overrated, its well made, its biggest strenght is the amazing level design, but when i play it i can't help but feel is not as scary as RE7 or with good action like RE4, and a lot of fanboys trashed VILLAGE for not being REmake 2 part 2 despite RE8 being in development at the same time as 2. 🤷‍♂️
Also the soundtrack, and B scenario aren't as good as they could have been.

im still very glad we got a first person Resident Evil again, what they made with RE7 was incredible, even if 8 doesn't reach the heights its still gonna be a great RE game with amazing atmosphere.

It’s really interesting reading polarized takes on the game’s scares.

One review says it’s not scary, next review says it’s the scariest RE game he’s played, repeat.

RE7 scared the shit out of me, I’m cool with Village being a little less intense.

Also, just based in the demo I think this might be low-key the best looking game
I’ve played on my PS5. People saying the art direction is boring seem to focus on the Village hub itself, the four other areas seem gorgeous and well done.

I know Demon’s Souls is the console gold standard so far but this game (based on the demos) is stunning, too.

Airbus Jr

Banned
So this game is about 10 hours long (with professional run)

I was expecting something longer ( This game look bigger than RE7 based on the map size)

IGN said Lady Dimitrescu encounter is dissapointing but has more enemy variety than 7

Last edited:

Stuart360

So this game is about 10 hours long (with professional run)

I was expecting something longer ( This game look bigger than RE7 based on the map size)

IGN said Lady Dimitrescu encounter is dissapointing but has more enemy variety than 7
GMAN said 8 hours, Easy Allies said 15 hours lol. Think of something in the middle of those numbers probably.

Retinoid

I expected an 85, so it's about in line with my expectations. As long as the game has some more enemy variety compared to 7 and doesn't have a weird second half/final act then I think I'll enjoy it. I'm not expecting anything super amazing or anything, but it should be pretty fun to explore judging by the big environments.

Last edited:

SantaC

8 hour campaign sucks a bit for this day and age. I mean wasnt Resi 7 averaging about 10-12 hours on a first playthrough?.
I knew it was a lie when developers said 10-15 hours

You can always detract a couple of hours from what developers say.

Certinty

Is it worth playing RE7 before this one? I’ve always wanted to give it a go but everyone says the second half is terrible.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The sequel to Resident Evil 7 leans heavily on Resident Evil 4's brand of action, but adds its own sensibilities to the mix.

Phil Hornshaw scoured the ramshackle houses and strange environs of Resident Evil Village for about 12 hours on PlayStation 5, which included blasting off quite a few lycan heads in The Mercenaries. Review code was provided by the publisher.

Resident Evil Village features engaging exploration and puzzles, thrilling combat, excellent level design, and a satisfying story with memorable characters. Calling Resident Evil Village a survival horror masterclass would not be an exaggeration in the slightest.

Last edited:
LOL yup! I’m glad you liked it enough to quote.

It’ll be just as “good” at $20 as it is at $60.

Reviews will never be the end-all-be-all for a definitive sale for me. But you go ahead and have fun with your ~10hr $60 Call of Duty: Resident Evil edition. /opinion 🙄

Christmas.
"Reviews will never be the end-all-be-all for a definitive sale" crazy you don't see the hypocrisy in saying that after literally just saying you're waiting for it to go on sale cause reviews have led you to believe its like "call of duty"

He was quoting from one of the reviews. Easy Allies (I think it was them but I might be wrong; I've watched a few reviews), used those exact words. Things go a little COD towards the end.
One action-based set piece doesn't equate to "this game is like call of duty"

fart town usa

Gold Member
Is it worth playing RE7 before this one? I’ve always wanted to give it a go but everyone says the second half is terrible.
There's a RE7 story recap in RE8. Not sure if it's in the options or beginning of the game but it is in there. Deluxe Edition contains 'The Baker Incident' which it a series of Files that go more in depth with the events of RE7. I haven't played RE8, just relaying info from a discord whose hosts received review copies.

RE7 is great dude, if you like horror or other RE games you should definitely check it out. Second half isn't terrible either, honestly surprised to hear that your heard that from people. I mean, the setting changes for a bit but it's still good and creepy. Game is straight up petrifying at times too. Has a great way of keeping you on edge, especially if you're using headphones and playing alone in a dark room.

Last edited:

Arachnid

One action-based set piece doesn't equate to "this game is like call of duty"
I couldn't tell you. I haven't played the game. I'm not sure if you have either, so maybe you have some kind of insight there I don't. The reviewer equated the action as the game went on to COD, where he was killing enemies left and right and running from area to area. That's what the guy you quoted was referring to. For some reason, him quoting a review seems to have offended you.

fart town usa

Gold Member
"Reviews will never be the end-all-be-all for a definitive sale" crazy you don't see the hypocrisy in saying that after literally just saying you're waiting for it to go on sale cause reviews have led you to believe its like "call of duty"
I noticed that too in the post but figured it wasn't worth replying to, lol.

Certinty

There's a RE7 story recap in RE8. Not sure if it's in the options or beginning of the game but it is in there. Deluxe Edition contains 'The Baker Incident' which it a series of Files that go more in depth with the events of RE7. I haven't played RE8, just relaying info from a discord whose hosts received review copies.

RE7 is great dude, if you like horror or other RE games you should definitely check it out. Second half isn't terrible either, honestly surprised to hear that your heard that from people. I mean, the setting changes for a bit but it's still good and creepy. Game is straight up petrifying at times too. Has a great way of keeping you on edge, especially if you're using headphones and playing alone in a dark room.
Thanks man, will definitely give RE7 a go first then. Seems like it’s worth it.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Thanks man, will definitely give RE7 a go first then. Seems like it’s worth it.
Yea dude, you could easily plow through 7 in 2 days if you really wanted. It's not too tough either if you're familiar with how RE games play. One piece of advice, crouch when searching for ammo and stuff. There are a lot of items in lower nooks and crannies that won't always register if you're standing up.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

I’m seeing something of a consensus in the reviews that this game dials back on the intense horror of 7, going more for a theme park, haunted house style of ‘easier’ horror, built for a broader audience.

That’s great for people who found 7 too much, but greatly disappointing for someone like me, who played 7 exclusively in VR and loved every second.

I’ll be waiting until this one comes down in price. I love Resi games, but so disappointed they’ve watered the experience down again.

Velius

Banned
The restera types have been heard and apparently the devs on this dumbed it down because it was too scary for the pussies. What has the world come too....everything is pansied down to accomodate everyone. Might as well say Fifa has too much football and introduce guns 😂😂
What a bunch of dumb cunts

Rippa

Reading comprehension much?

Reviews will never be the definitive/deciding factor in a sale. It’s never guaranteed with me.

Never did I say I wasn’t buying it. Just not at full asking price.

Therefore $20 sale by years end will work for me and many others like me. That’s what I feel this game will be worth to play.

Again, go and enjoy your $60 COD:RE edition.
🤘🏼

JRW

Is it worth playing RE7 before this one? I’ve always wanted to give it a go but everyone says the second half is terrible

say what.. I feel anyone interested in Village should of wanted to play RE7 already, It's definitely worth playing through and Not a game I'd wanna miss out on.

Ive played through it twice which is a rare thing for me. You can probably buy RE7 cheap on cdkeys they seem to have capcom games for less pretty frequently (steam keys)

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
Definitely. It's great. I never felt it was terrible at any point, really. The beginning might be scarier than the latter half of the game, but it's still fun imo.

rapid32.5

Newegg pre-orders are live, playing it right now. First hour of Village, like it more atmosphere wise than VII.

I couldn't tell you. I haven't played the game. I'm not sure if you have either, so maybe you have some kind of insight there I don't. The reviewer equated the action as the game went on to COD, where he was killing enemies left and right and running from area to area. That's what the guy you quoted was referring to. For some reason, him quoting a review seems to have offended you.
Offended? No, I pointed out how stupid his conclusion from a plethora of reviews was when, as you admit yourself, one guy said one thing and it changed his whole opinion on purchasing. Is that guy your little online friend or something? Imagine saying i'm "offended" for calling out that weak minded influence one review had on him, but not calling him out ? lmfao

Top Bottom