• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Village - Review Thread

Reading comprehension much?

Reviews will never be the definitive/deciding factor in a sale. It’s never guaranteed with me.

Never did I say I wasn’t buying it. Just not at full asking price.

Therefore $20 sale by years end will work for me and many others like me. That’s what I feel this game will be worth to play.

Again, go and enjoy your $60 COD:RE edition.
🤘🏼
lmfao. Again, a review was literally the deciding factor for you though, and you are literally saying that while contradicting yourself. Goddamn this is just kinda funny now lmfaoo

Markio128

So not as good as Returnal?

That must be why it’s a bit cheaper.

James Franco Flirt GIF

Madflavor

So it sounds like it's really good, but isn't in the same club as REmake, REmake 2, or RE4. I guess I can live with that, I just wish it was better because I absolutely dig the setting.

Arachnid

Offended? No, I pointed out how stupid his conclusion from a plethora of reviews was when, as you admit yourself, one guy said one thing and it changed his whole opinion on purchasing. Is that guy your little online friend or something? Imagine saying i'm "offended" for calling out that weak minded influence one review had on him, but not calling him out ? lmfao
After looking at more reviews, most of them bring up the strong action slant this entry takes. It's not even just one review. That one review was just the only one to equate it specifically to COD. Your overblown reaction to both our posts at this point makes you come off as disingenuous and, yes, offended. You being so defensive about it now doesn't really help either.

And no, I don't even remember the initial posters name. I'm just wondering why you're so mad about an internet rando not enjoying the idea of RE8 taking an action slant (especially given this series' past with that). You're mad enough to feel the need to insult and "call out" someone over that?

THEAP99

Banned
Watched SkillUpYT's review. I keep hearing about this final act just not being great. I really wonder what happens in it

As well as xbox series x

It's not rock solid on Series X though.

Series X has a more dogged grip on its target 60fps, with slightly less consistent throughput from PlayStation 5. At best though, Series X delivers 10 per cent more performance in stress-test scenes, but I did note one scene where both consoles dip from 60fps to exactly the same extent.

You need to play it on PC if you want a locked 60FPs unless you don't mind turning RT off.

Like I said both versions are solid.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I loved the opening hour or so of Resident Evil VII. It was tense and genuinely unnerving to play. After that first boss and it became more combat focused, my enjoyment steadily declined. I don't regret the play through but I can't say I was itching to go back to it. Capcom's never been able to recapture the satisfaction from using weapons in the series since RE4. REVII was definitely the low point in that regard. I guess that's all to say that I'm conflicted when I hear reports of this being the marriage for RE4 and REVII. An action packed version of REVII just doesn't sound appealing. The setting looks great as does the cast of characters and I'd be lying if I wasn't a little more than excited for RE4 style inventory management and upgrades, but the first person combat...not so much.

Rippa

lmfao. Again, a review was literally the deciding factor for you though, and you are literally saying that while contradicting yourself. Goddamn this is just kinda funny now lmfaoo

😂🤣😂
Someone obviously can not read. Let’s try this again, see if you can understand in more laymen’s terms.

Reviews are just ONE part of a deciding factor in purchasing a game.

Reviews are NOT THE ONLY deciding factor in purchasing a game. (Hence “Not the End-all-be-all”) Even if the game reviews well with 9’s and 10’s doesn’t mean I’ll buy just because.

Many other factors help decide purchasing a game. Eg. Gameplay, Lore, Story, MP, Developers track record.

I will buy it based off my enjoyment of the RE franchise and its Lore. Along with Capcom’s dev track record. I’m also interested in it’s continuing story for Ethan. I’m just not in a hurry to play it at launch for $60. The COD like nature of the game referenced in multiple reviews have helped deter me from buying instantly.

Last edited:

Madflavor

There's absolutely nothing wrong with making your purchasing decision based off of reviews. I wish some would get off people's nuts about that. We'll do what we want with our time and money, and you do want you want with your money. Spend it, burn it, wipe your ass with it, I don't care. Not everyone wants to spend $60-70 dollars and "form our own opinion on it." If you're an adult and you know you're own tastes, and the reviews are saying things you know you won't like, then there's nothing stupid about not purchasing the game because of that.

Madflavor

I guess we can't have a big budget horror franchise stick with horror for long, gotta get those eye balls looking at the game.

Well you can blame some fans (particularly in Japan) for this shit. At least based on that poll posted above.

Looking back on it, it truly is a remarkable thing we got RE7. It was peak horror, and the way it was marketed with those demo's was nothing short of brilliant. It's too bad it'll probably be the only one of it's kind in the series. The gothic setting of Village was fucking perfect. If they had leaned hard into horror with Village the same way they did with RE7, this could've been really something. It still stounds like it's a really good game, but as usual, focus groups have kept something good from becoming something special.

NikuNashi

As an absolute die hard Resident Evil fan I'm probably going to skip this. Enemies being bullet sponges, witches, FPS. Nah I will sit this one out but hope everyone who gets this enjoys their time with it.

After looking at more reviews, most of them bring up the strong action slant this entry takes. It's not even just one review. That one review was just the only one to equate it specifically to COD. Your overblown reaction to both our posts at this point makes you come off as disingenuous and, yes, offended. You being so defensive about it now doesn't really help either.

And no, I don't even remember the initial posters name. I'm just wondering why you're so mad about an internet rando not enjoying the idea of RE8 taking an action slant (especially given this series' past with that). You're mad enough to feel the need to insult and "call out" someone over that?
You're going all out here to defend the contradicting kid who claims reviews don't sway his decisions and then one sentence later says the review is why hes waiting for a sale. Really cute u guys are online friends and u have his back

😂🤣😂
Someone obviously can not read. Let’s try this again, see if you can understand in more laymen’s terms.

Reviews are just ONE part of a deciding factor in purchasing a game.

Reviews are NOT THE ONLY deciding factor in purchasing a game. (Hence “Not the End-all-be-all”) Even if the game reviews well with 9’s and 10’s doesn’t mean I’ll buy just because.

Many other factors help decide purchasing a game. Eg. Gameplay, Lore, Story, MP, Developers track record.

I will buy it based off my enjoyment of the RE franchise and its Lore. Along with Capcom’s dev track record. I’m also interested in it’s continuing story for Ethan. I’m just not in a hurry to play it at launch for $60. The COD like nature of the game referenced in multiple reviews have helped deter me from buying instantly.
"Reviews are just ONE part of deciding factor. I also need gameplay, story, lore"

"Reviews have led me to believe this game is like COD so I won't be buying"

This gets funnier and funnier. More please

As an absolute die hard Resident Evil fan I'm probably going to skip this. Enemies being bullet sponges, witches, FPS. Nah I will sit this one out but hope everyone who gets this enjoys their time with it.
Claims die hard RE fanship, but then shits on FPS which was done immaculately in the best RE in forever with 7. Hmmm.....

Shubh_C63

Well I am probably the one who shy away from horror setting especially first person. I have poor sense of direction when it comes to that. and first person f*cks me up.

But if they have really toned down the horror stuff and more about exploration (which I LOVED in RE2), maybe I will play it. I would have just ignored it otherwise.

Corgi1985

Banned
Reminder that prey(2017) the best game of the last 5 years scored worse than pokeshit sword, one of the worst games of all time. You can ignore reviews.

Rippa

"Reviews are just ONE part of deciding factor. I also need gameplay, story, lore"

"Reviews have led me to believe this game is like COD so I won't be buying"

This gets funnier and funnier. More please
Nah! You get nothing more.

Have fun playing COD. 🤣

Last edited:

NikuNashi

Claims die hard RE fanship, but then shits on FPS which was done immaculately in the best RE in forever with 7. Hmmm.....

Where to start with such an ill informed take.

7 was a terrible game, was only FPS due to being on PSVR, was not a resident evil game but rather a serious FPS horror game that Capcom didn't have the balls to release on its own merit and so slapped the Resident evil name on the box to boost sales.

Resident Evil 2 remake was 'the best RE in forever'.

Judging by the immaturity of your comment I guess Ive been playing RE since before you were born?

Arachnid

You're going all out here to defend the contradicting kid who claims reviews don't sway his decisions and then one sentence later says the review is why hes waiting for a sale. Really cute u guys are online friends and u have his back
What are you talking about? How did the conversation switch from "I don't like action and don't want to buy" to "reviews don't matter"? I'm seriously just talking about your overblown initial response, and haven't even read any other replies other than your quotes that keep dragging me back to this thread. I think you're getting your arguments mixed.

And if you say so. You're yelling at the clouds, dude. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

TMLT

7 was a terrible game, was only FPS due to being on PSVR, was not a resident evil game but rather a serious FPS horror game that Capcom didn't have the balls to release on its own merit and so slapped the Resident evil name on the box to boost sales.

I agree with a lot of this. The game felt like it started out as an original title that they then shoehorned into the Resi universe.

But...terrible? come on....

Side note: even though it largely felt disconnected from the Resi series, it actually fit the name "Resident Evil" more than any game since the original.

NikuNashi

I agree with a lot of this. The game felt like it started out as an original title that they then shoehorned into the Resi universe.

But...terrible? come on....

Side note: even though it largely felt disconnected from the Resi series, it actually fit the name "Resident Evil" more than any game since the original.

OK fair enough, I might have got carried away. I can agree it was a good game but not a good Resident Evil game.

Alvin

Banned
Exactly what I thought about 7. It started out so well. Up to the point of Marguerite battle. Then it all fell apart with the hooded guy. His battle replaced by a ridiculous large mutant form of Jack Baker. And then the rushed fake choice with Mia. Don't even get me started on the molded. Very generic and boring enemy. As far as Residen Evil goes, it does it's title well for the evil villager part, not for the bio virus stuff and over the top action segments. I actually hope there's more re7 first half than 7's 2nd half in 8.

tommib

now you piss off a different segment of fans who think this isn't scary anymore.
This might bite them in the ass. RE is horror and scary. Fans hated the action heavy approach of 5 and 6 and it’s so weird they seem to have fallen into the same trap again.

I’m such a fan of the series but looking at review videos it seems that the game is a shooting gallery on a freak circus. I’ve been day one with RE since forever but I’m waiting on a discount for this one.

mxbison

Not sure about the action heavy approach, especially since I don't think the action looks that good. Enemies look like bullet sponges barely reacting to getting shot.

Overall it still looks fun but I might wait for a price drop.

Calverz

I like a few of the Easy Allies guys... but haven't been getting around to watching them... I'm shocked they aren't over 300K subs.

I remember Huber was a huge RE guy. I'd love to see him stream it.
I used to watch them at gametrailers and when they made the switch initially. I then later unsubscribed. The videos were just too long imo. And the videos when they were all together was hard for me to follow as the audio and mic volumes were all over the place. Some would be quiet to hear so id put vilume up and then there would be a roar of laughter so instant volume down. In the end i got sick of it.
Did they move into a proper studio in the end?

Orpheum

Watched SkillUpYT's review. I keep hearing about this final act just not being great. I really wonder what happens in it

To be fair, the final act in RE7 wasn't that great either^^ and in my opinion it's a fantastic game overall. pretty stoked about RE8 but i set the bar too high for myself i guess since i've been playing a lot of RE2make recently

ethomaz

Banned
Where to start with such an ill informed take.

Resident Evil 2 remake was 'the best RE in forever'.

Judging by the immaturity of your comment I guess Ive been playing RE since before you were born?
Man some bad takes.
7 was terrible? lol

It was the best RE since original trilogy and I will say it is better than RE3.

Astral Dog

LOL yup! I’m glad you liked it enough to quote.

It’ll be just as “good” at $20 as it is at $60.

Reviews will never be the end-all-be-all for a definitive sale for me. But you go ahead and have fun with your ~10hr $60 Call of Duty: Resident Evil edition. /opinion 🙄

Christmas.
From the impressions i read from longtime fans, all are mostly positive and consider VILLAGE a great RE game, with some flaws that hold it back. But a worthy sequel to RE7 at the very least.(some prefer 7 though)

I don't wanna see RE become CoD either, but despite Village apparently jumping off a cliff somewhere, its NOT RE6 or 5. i just see a love letter to horror fans, the atmosphere, cinematics, writting, visuals, enemies all are classic horror the details on the village and castle are amazing, the other houses are creepy. Far more RE7 than the action games. It has the 💗 of an horror game. To me thats worth the price on day one because Capcom earned my trust with RE7 im not saying you are wrong if you wanna play the game later, but don't dismiss RE8 as a CoD clone yet! i believe its gonna be very special.

Looks plenty good! Hopefully it's playable on a PS4 Amateur, or I might have to wait quite a long time to play this one lol.
Alex (cvxfreak) played on base PS4 (and all other systems) and said it was very solid version, the only one he doesn't recommend is Xbox One S

Last edited:
Yeah will definitely do that but I was hoping for an ingame option since most likely there won't be a day 1 mod.

works on the demo. should work on the main game but who knows.

Top Bottom