• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City - Exclusive First Look Photos

Kimahri

Banned
WPEOImc.png

Am I reading you right when I assume your point here is that this is a trainwreck because a woman in a mansion full of zombies isn't as attractive to you as the same woman just after being readied by a crew of stylists for a photoshot where the main goal is to make her look hot?

Or am i completely off base here?

nkarafo

How hard is to cast actors that somewhat look like the characters?

It's like they are trying to do the opposite.

Soodanim

I always like to pretend that I've watched a full movie and be able to render judgment off it by looking at 3 photos.
If they made a game about a red room but when they adapted it the movie adaptation set pictures show the room be purple, you would be forgiven for thinking that someone wasn’t that bothered about making a faithful adaptation.

When characters look like cosplay at a convention because they casted in the opposite direction, it’s not unreasonable to lower your expectations for what is definitely not going to be what you hoped it would be. They’re intentionally making changes, and the audience on GAF is fans of the source material. It’s never going to go any other way.

supernova8

Banned
Am I reading you right when I assume your point here is that this is a trainwreck because a woman in a mansion full of zombies isn't as attractive to you as the same woman just after being readied by a crew of stylists for a photoshot where the main goal is to make her look hot?

Ahaha like clockwork

Dave Chappelle Gotcha GIF

I mean if they're going to absolutely butcher Leon and Jill, may as well give us some eye candy in the form of Claire. Sue me.

Kimahri

Banned
Ahaha like clockwork

Dave Chappelle Gotcha GIF

I mean if they're going to absolutely butcher Leon and Jill, may as well give us some eye candy in the form of Claire. Sue me.
Right, excellent point you got there. Women really should spend more time making sure their eyeliner is just right while fighting zombies. It's only right.

playXray

Looks good. Honestly, the fact that the actors don’t look much like their in-game counterparts is no issue for me. I mean, Sean Bean is nothing like Boromir is described in the books but he was 100% awesome in the LotR movies.

GrayFoxPL

Good thing they are in the costumes and in the classic locales. Remember how unwatchable Milla Jovovich movies became?

Might be good B - tier romp. Note: B-TIER.

Pic 2 - I like Wesker's costume and Chris's + shotgun. Rest = lulz.

video games GIF

supernova8

Banned
Imagine how good this movie would've been if it was directed by someone like Danny Boyle (28 Days Later)... I thought that movie was fucking terrifying. The way they shot it and just everything. One of the best (survival) horror movies I've seen in a long time.

Azurro

Banned

Yes, let's shoot for ultra realism in the zombie movie where the protagonists punch boulders in active volcanoes, turn people into bioweapons and joke about bingo after blowing up the heads of 20 Spanish villagers.

Just be honest and say that watching beautiful women offends you.

Kimahri

Banned
Yes, let's shoot for ultra realism in the zombie movie where the protagonists punch boulders in active volcanoes, turn people into bioweapons and joke about bingo after blowing up the heads of 20 Spanish villagers.

Just be honest and say that watching beautiful women offends you.
I don't shoot for realism, I shoot for some semblance of believability.

For the record, since this seems to fly way over your head, context is a thing that matters to some people. I don't want people running through the dirt to look like they just got out of a spa, it's dumb as fuck. That doesn't mean I can't enjoy it elsewhere.

I don't get people like you. Someone has the audacity to disagree with you on something, and your brain just short wires and goes directly to "urr durr, you don't like beautiful women".

That daid, this is probably gonna suck.

Azurro

Banned
I don't shoot for realism, I shoot for some semblance of believability.

For the record, since this seems to fly way over your head, context is a thing that matters to some people. I don't want people running through the dirt to look like they just got out of a spa, it's dumb as fuck. That doesn't mean I can't enjoy it elsewhere.

I don't get people like you. Someone has the audacity to disagree with you on something, and your brain just short wires and goes directly to "urr durr, you don't like beautiful women".

That daid, this is probably gonna suck.

Believability in what context? RE is a sci Fi/fantasy horror franchise set in locations inspired by the real world. The videogame always had traditionally good looking characters.

So, the lady that they got to play Claire Redfield only seems to be pretty when under tons of make up, which is not what we expect when the fans think of Claire Redfield.

Then you chime in and get offended about how we are asking for someone that looks like the character, implying that all women look ugly without make up along the way, with a tone of how we DARE to question the woman not looking good enough.

Which is ridiculous and the reason why people are reminding you that fighting for her honor is not going to get you a date and later sex with her. Which is how people that behave similarly to you seem to think.

Well, I have a better solution: how about the creators of the movie respect the character design and cast a naturally pretty woman for the role? But then you'd be offended how a pretty woman actually got the role

Last edited:
Still looks potentially WAY better than the Paul W. S. Anderson RE film abomination.
Lets remember that he lifted some of the set pieces from the George Romero script, the laser room which protects the computer servers, and i think the tram that goes down to the lab. Also i don't think the pic of them in the mansion looks good. Just looks like they are in someones house.

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
Believability in what context? RE is a sci Fi/fantasy horror franchise set in locations inspired by the real world. The videogame always had traditionally good looking characters.

So, the lady that they got to play Claire Redfield only seems to be pretty when under tons of make up, which is not what we expect when the fans think of Claire Redfield.

Then you chime in and get offended about how we are asking for someone that looks like the character, implying that all women look ugly without make up along the way, with a tone of how we DARE to question the woman not looking good enough.

Well, I have a better solution: how about the creators of the movie respect the character design and cast a naturally pretty woman for the role? But then you'd be offended how a pretty woman actually got the role
Believable in the sense that when you roll around in the dirt, you're gonna get dirty.

How you understand me to be offended is beyond me.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
Believable in the sense that when you roll around in the dirt, you're gonna get dorty.

How you understand me to be offended is beyond me.

You know, they say that people can see other people's noses very easily but they can't easily see their own. Go back, read your posts and realize why people are not taking you seriously.

Btw, I wasn't aware that rolling in the dirt makes women homely. That's a new one champ.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

Don't get me wrong, I do agree
But here is where that argument falls flat.
Jill is understandable she part of Stars and is on a Mission, in RE3 that's a different story
but someone like Claire.
They are not Military or Police and they not going into an Zombie apocalypse.
They just regular people wearing whatever they do on a daily basis
Nothing they wear is inappropriate for a zombie apocalypse because that's not what they was dressed to do..
I personally think Claire looks fine, no complaints from me.

Crocwrangler

Neo Member
Wonder how much of the games'bestiary will be there. Probably a few zombies, Lisa, CGI crows and a dog covered in strawberry jam at best. Still waiting for Yawn, hunters and neptunes.

Kuranghi

I think the whole "the characters should look immaculate" comes from how games, but also more specifically RE games do than in general. Look at the remakes of 2 and 3, they become dirty/scuffed up/change their model for thematic reasons at very specific points, up until that point they definitely would've gotten dirty/bloody from all the ridiculous events they engaged in but they don't because its part of the whole presentation that they don't.

Disclaimer is that they DO get bloody from close range killing of enemies in-game but that doesn't show in the cutscenes so those decals are outside of the narrative and not "canon", unlike the other model changes, like when you fall through the upstairs library floor (you get dusty) or when Leon gets shot (you get a whole new model with bloody bandage).

So I think people want that aspect preserved from the games going into live action media. Whether you should expect that to come over from the games is another discussion but I think it could be done properly, they do it well in the Marvel movies for instance. They look immaculate at the start but in the final battle they are all dirtied up.

I noticed in RE8 how some of the most valuable treasures are objects that are used by the characters in the cutscenes, so its like the game is telling you these things have value because they are part of the scenario/narrative, even though that makes no sense, its very gamey. Its about celebrating the narrative within the game itself, as you play, its weird when you think about it too much but I love it personally. Its a brilliant way to give meaning/context to collectibles in a game.

This thematic costume changing/"dirtying" is similar to that, they get dirty at a certain point to imprint them with new qualities or to remind you of the journey so far. It would be cool to convey that in live action too imo.

Kimahri

Banned
You know, they say that people can see other people's noses very easily but they can't easily see their own. Go back, read your posts and realize why people are not taking you seriously.

Btw, I wasn't aware that rolling in the dirt makes women homely. That's a new one champ.

I suggest you take your own advice and stop responding to things I haven't actually said.

Don't get me wrong, I do agree
But here is where that argument falls flat.
Jill is understandable she part of Stars and is on a Mission, in RE3 that's a different story
but someone like Claire.
They are not Military or Police and they not going into an Zombie apocalypse.
They just regular people wearing whatever they do on a daily basis
Nothing they wear is inappropriate for a zombie apocalypse because that's not what they was dressed to do..
I personally think Claire looks fine, no complaints from me.
Uhm, yes. I agree? Maybe I worded myself poorly, but all I meant is that your makeup isn't gonna be top priority during the apocalypse 🙂

Valt7786

Why don't these game-movie directors ever understand that the fans WANT to see the characters they like looking the way they do but in movie-form? It can't be that hard. Nobody would give a shit that most of them were white or whatever. No one gave a shit when the games came out, no one gives a shit now. Even the basic shit like Weskers hair, Jills' beret and shoulderpads. Just get that shit right!

Also if I'm remembering rightly, the actress playing Lisa Trevor did a little video about her doing all sorts of martial arts stunts to get ready to play her? If I watch this and see Lisa fucking Trevor doing backflips and wall-kicks I'm gonna puke out my eyeholes.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
i really dont understand, is it so hard to find suitable actors and actress for a well known IP like this? i mean its fucking resident evil.

Kimahri

Banned
i really dont understand, is it so hard to find suitable actors and actress for a well known IP like this? i mean its fucking resident evil.
I think Leon is all wrong (give him a haircut at least), but compared to that Albert Wesker juggling evil scientist while also being a father to two teenagers, the casting is spot on here, lol.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Wow.

It honestly looks pretty awful but I'm still gonna see it Day 1. I have much respect that they're even trying to make a movie that actually involves the early games.

evangd007

Leon's haircut isn't dorky enough.

Claire should have a ponytail, not Jill, who should in turn be wearing a beret.

Wekser is not wearing sunglasses at night.

Where's Barry?

Erebus

It would be quite the accomplishment if they somehow manage to make this worse than the Milla Jovovich movies.

Top Bottom