• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL: WELCOME TO RACCOON CITY Review Thread

Azurro

Banned

So, I've been watching it, sorry for being late to the party...is there a party? Anyway, I kind of forgot the movie was coming out and came across Joe's review. I don't know if this is considered a spoiler but ... . It really is too bad, even with Leon looking like Carlos and all the casting problems I had hope, but it seems this ended up being a mess.

Last edited:

nkarafo

I still don't know who these people in the movie are. It looks like those movies made by Youtubers who got successful so they decided to make one.

Bragr

Banned
Mortal Kombat 1995 is 45% on rotten tomatoes
Silent Hill 2006 is 32%

Both are generally agreed to be some of the better game adaptations. 29% ain't that bad.
29% is bad. You can't equate some old controversial scores and hope it means this movie got some of those qualities.

GinSama

You have shit taste in movies

maybe…. At least I had fun 🤔
I feel sorry for who didn’t enjoyed… probably theres no way they will get a sequel since the numbers are so low. so better luck next time.

Way better than the Alice movies.

Doom85

I feel sorry for who didn’t enjoyed… probably theres no way they will get a sequel since the numbers are so low. so better luck next time.

Seriously, the fact these characters are the actual fucking leads instead of the OC Alice Mary Sue fan fiction from a director desperate to show the world “how cool” his girlfriend and later wife is automatically makes it a superior adaptation. I‘ll gladly take newbie Leon over a Leon who works for Wesker (seriously, in RE4 he shows contempt over the idea Ada is working for Wesker, this is basic shit you’re fucking up), or a different looking Jill who at least doesn’t exist solely to be incompetent to a new female lead nobody fucking asked for.

The funny scene with Leon at the desk, or Wesker playing Moonlight Sonata, or the Ashford twins moment, or seeing Lisa Trevor albeit a different take, etc. were all better than anything in the prior films. Yes, they changed stuff too but barely anything made me that mad. I’m disappointed Barry, Rebecca, Mr. X, and Nemesis (hey, better than seeing that gawdawful fight Alice had with Nemesis) were absent but if they’re presumably aiming to tackle Code Veronica in a potential sequel then if they keep Leon and Jill* there they could add a few characters we missed.

Yes, this new film wasn’t a fully accurate adaptation, but geezus fucking Christ even the garbage The Last Airbender followed its source material more closely than the prior RE movies. One can like them if they want, but claiming they’re ”more faithful” due to superficial elements is ridiculous. Hell, the fact that an actual zombie apocalypse occurs in those films shows how much they didn’t give a shit. RE games were refreshing as the zombie genre almost exclusively falls back on the apocalypse trope, so good job prior RE movies for intentionally making yourselves less unique.

This new movie was a fun B-movie with some respect for the games. Flawed, oh yeah, but still fun. The prior films were lame, generic action films (and the action wasn’t even good) that gave zero fucks about the source material. I’d gladly watch the new movie again, but someone would have to pay me to watch any of the prior films.

*also, seeing Leon and Jill in the same spot near the end of the film was amusingly ironic as they’ve never been in a game together despite arguably being the two most iconic heroes of the series

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
The Licker vs Lisa Trevor scene was a mess

amfPuaX.jpg

What the fuck am I reading?

fart town usa

Gold Member
I have legit seen cosplayers that look better than Leon, Jill, and Claire. I am kinda glad I left the series behind since I was burned out by it. I loved it back in the PS1 and Dreamcast days, but now it's just dull to me. Oh well.
At least check out REmake 2. That game is brilliant. RE7, 8 and 3make are great too but if you're a fan of the old games, you're doing a major disservice to yourself if you haven't played 2make.

fart town usa

Gold Member
You have shit taste in movies
You are a child.

I thought it was great too.

I mean, it was legit one of the worst movies I've ever seen but I don't really give a shit about that. I found it pretty interesting because of how bad it was. It did have some legit awesome moments though.

There's so many shit movies that make hundreds of millions. Seeing people get all up in arms cause a RE movie disappointed them is just laughable. People forget that it's entirely possible to acknowledge that something is bad but still enjoy it. I think it's amazing that WTRC is what it is, you really don't see stuff like that too often. Back in the 80/90s you did but not these days.

GinSama

You are a child.

I mean, it was legit one of the worst movies I've ever seen but I don't really give a shit about that. I found it pretty interesting because of how bad it was. It did have some legit awesome moments though.

There's so many shit movies that make hundreds of millions. Seeing people get all up in arms cause a RE movie disappointed them is just laughable. People forget that it's entirely possible to acknowledge that something is bad but still enjoy it. I think it's amazing that WTRC is what it is, you really don't see stuff like that too often. Back in the 80/90s you did but not these days.
I really like the fact that although the movie had “few” zombies action sequences, they were built perfectly, building the tension with the incredible ost and then …….BANG!

Like you said before this kind of zombie movies is not Hollywood style at all….. and I love it.

amfPuaX.jpg

What the fuck am I reading?
lmao my point exactly! Like I said, the scene actually started off rather nicely but then she just beats the shit out of the Licker. Easily the dumbest part of the movie - it's on the level of the slow-mo dog kick in the Paul WS movie.

JT14

Banned
You are a child.

Your name is fart town USA 🤣🤣🤣🤣

JT14

Banned
You are a child.

You have shit taste in movies too.....Mr. Fart town USA 🤣🤣🤣

Azurro

Banned
I really like the fact that although the movie had “few” zombies action sequences, they were built perfectly, building the tension with the incredible ost and then …….BANG!

Like you said before this kind of zombie movies is not Hollywood style at all….. and I love it.

Really? Something I hear constantly in all reviews is that the movie is boring, that it basically starts at the hour point.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Watched last night and it's flat. Not THAT bad, has heart and soul, but is weak as hell.

It has nice stuff like the Jill Sandwich line, the piano puzzle, the Clock Tower shows from a distance, the overall scenario is very close to the source actually... but that's it. Candy for the eyes, bitter on the mouth

The casting is not well choose for the looks and for the personality. Chris is is kinda dumb, Jill is too much of a heated head, Wesker is just a muscle hollow guy, Claire is too much wise, Leon is a fucking moron, Birkin is too much involved for this story and too rushed at the same time, the zombies has a weird building and no pay off, there's a inexpiable quantity of zombies on the mansion - in the game it has a lot too, but it's a game, so it's ok

The story is just a lot of building and then "oh, final boss". Trailers screw up for showing basically everything. Combining both of the games sounds a good choice for the movie, but the execution is way too poor. There's no real catch for anything and, at least myself, predicted most of the scenes. Things just happen very quick and nothing is really exciting.

The flaws of the 2002 movie are overcome for some fun like the elevator scene, the laser room, nice suspense, that intro music... The new movie is like a fan got money and did this. It has a lot of potential, but falls short on everything

SegaManAU

Gold Member
I got some free tickets to watch this last night.

Overall it was better than I expected. Just a few random points from me

- Loved the look of the Mansion and the R.P.D
- Not sure why they had to make Leon such a fucking moron. For Hollywood I guess?
- I liked the fact that overall they kept close to the source material which for me automatically makes this movie better than Paul Anderson movies
- There is enough story that they could have made a movie for each game. I still can't figure out why they tried to mix these two together as it made the movie feel rushed
- Actor choices for Leon and Jill puzzled me

That's it off the top of my head for now. I enjoyed it for what it was.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Yeah the movie sucked just as I suspected. The main problem isn't the casting, but the fact that it tries to stick too close to the storyline of the games and focuses too much on providing fanservice (there's even puzzle solving in between fighting zombies lol). The story might also be difficult to follow for someone not familiar with the games, especially concerning the orphanage angle.
While Chris's casting was great and most of the cast is acceptable Jill's and Leon's casting is awful. What's worse they've turned Leon into a pathetic character that's a punching bag for others and only later in the movie he tries to prove his worth. A good soundtrack is definitely missing here as well. Instead of remixing the songs from the games (like the RPD theme) they've made some bland sounds mixed with 90s songs to remind everybody when the action is taking place.
The movie has several reasonably enjoyable scenes (like the one fighting in the dark that surprised me as I usually hate similar scenes) and Spencer Mansion looks cool, but it's not nearly enough to recommend anyone watching it. It's best to rewatch the 2002 movie that had great atmosphere, great soundtrack and wasn't so desperate on recreating scenes and locations from the games (but stop after the first one, because other RE flicks with Alice were more or less trashy).

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

When I saw Leon actor it was my cue the movie is shit. they couldn't find a blond guy in the universe? like at least fucking stick to the game a bit. how hard is this shit?

No offense to the actor. nothing personal against him. but It does kill the immersion for me quickly.

Haggard

Banned
Flat and cheap are the words I'd describe this with.
Both the wife and I started paying more attention to our phones than the film about half way through.

Arachnid

Fuck this lame movie. The entire thing felt like a low tier fanfic.

EDIT: Also, Leons actor was straight up pathetic. Lol @ them apparently casting for acting ability over physical similarity. You did neither.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I stopped watching any Resident Evil related stuff it just makes me cringe... even more so than the recent games... remember when it was a Virus and you fought zombies? Yeah it's getting harder these days.

However while I will never watch this I suspect it would be hard pressed to beat...

Skifi28

Leon's Mexican cousin had me laughing throughout the film, for all the wrong reasons. The previous RE movies were masterpieces compare to this crap

Watched it tonight with my wife. Completely shits on the entire series. The character and story changes are absolutely disgusting. The direction was so horribly handled and amateur, those black screens with the time felt like something out of a high school production. I'm glad I didn't have to pay to see it. I'd be fuming.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The actor who plays Chris looks pretty spot on. The actor for Wesker also isn't too bad. Everybody else was poorly cast.
It's Robbie Amell, Stephen Amell's (Arrow) brother
Good choice
Same with Claire and Albert
Sadly they was wasted on this project

Last edited:

JimmyF

Terrible movie, cramming 2 games in one movie killed it. No one gets enough screen time. Leon is an idiot. The first movie with Alice is sadly better than this crap.

CamHostage

Overall it was better than I expected. Just a few random points from me

- Loved the look of the Mansion and the R.P.D
- Not sure why they had to make Leon such a fucking moron. For Hollywood I guess?
- I liked the fact that overall they kept close to the source material which for me automatically makes this movie better than Paul Anderson movies...

See, that's what I thought was good about the P.Anderson movies, that they were original material in the world of Resident Evil (albeit kind of a bastdardized cinematic universe rather than canon stories that fit perfectly with the games,) rather than adapting individual stories faithfully.

I've played those games; I don't need to watch them again. I have Youtube for that, or a savegame on my PlayStation to just play the story again. The story of the early games was just sort of atmosphere as it was, kind of junky-but-fun material that didn't really hold up in the telling well (especially before the director's cut of 1, and at least now with REmake it feels like it's a story written by all the same alien creatures but still not the Great Amer'Japanese Novel.) Seeing the RE1 or even 2/3 story play out on screen, just with differently-bad actors, I don't know why I'd want that.

Also, the REverse has always been an expanding saga. Especially when the P.Anderson movies started, they usually had a recognizable character but then also a completely unknown character as the playable pair. New landscape, new characters, returning characters have often gone through some massive change since the last time we saw them... the Resident Evil games weren't this static or narrow thing, they always went unseen places and often with unknown characters. So it made sense for the cinema world to be a unique character in their own pocket of the RE saga, and their story would weave into the games here and there, and add addition contents to what you know about the grander Umbrella conspiracy, (which didn't really happen, but so be it,) but largely to expand the canvas of RE. A game-to-movie like Tomb Raider or Uncharted, that approach doesn't make much sense because those games are about Lara Croft or Nathan Drake, not about the tombs or the adventure, but RE was already going off into several directions, so why not one more direction with the movie timeline?

Show me something I don't already know.

The fact that the P.Anderson movies were schlocky didn't sell them as the better way to go, but to me, it made sense to start with a new character, because of my reasons above and also some of your reasons listed. Making a faithful set, that's easy; finding a good actor who can pull off a faithful portrayal of a game character, that's much harder. Paul Anderson certainly wasn't up to the task of finding those actors. What was good about the P.Anderson movies was that they were about somebody named Alice, and if you were interested in Alice, you got a shitload of it, and if you didn't, you never needed to watch any of those movies since they had no importance to the RE timeline.

(I guess you can also skip this shitty Welcome to Raccoon movie too, since it's just a haphazard rehash and I'm sure no changes matter to the games, but I just never want to have one of those nerd conversations of, "Oh, you must not know about blahblahblah that happened in the movie...")

Like, should I spare one single brain cell the energy of paying attention to the story of the Monster Hunter movie? No, because it's obviously bullshit with no connection to the games. But would my eyeballs enjoy seeing a Diablos churning through the sand of a desert or a Rathalos ripping apart everything it comes in contact with? I don't known, don't ask my brain, just make it look cool and put it streaming somewhere and who knows what'll happen when I'm drunk...

Last edited:

zokie

i am neutral towards this movie as i won't be watching any more movies directed by PWSA cos of various reasons

But the movie should have been better if it was split into 2 parts
Part 1 could be for the Mansion incident and Part 2 is for Raccoon City Incident
The whole movie seems to be rushing and leaving out good story elements in both mansion and raccoon city

fart town usa

Gold Member
Watched it again at home and still enjoyed it.

It clearly has pacing issues and the script is pretty awful but I still dig the overall tone and campy vibe.

SkylineRKR

Its not bad. I thought it was a fun romp.

The locations are spot on, the atmosphere is extremely well done and captures the RE feeling unlike any other live action RE movie. The characters and story is where it falls flat. I liked Claire, though she inherited a lot from game Jill. Chris was a good cast as well. The rest was bad to horrible (Leon).

The action is decent, its gory and it has zombies. The pacing is all over the place and the story is badly laid out and the liberties they took with it don't work. But for the settings and atmosphere I think this was a fun watch.

ZoukGalaxy

I saw it yesterday (the truth is that I had to watch it 2 times, I was unable to watch until the end the first time because I was so bored).

Verdict with no surprise: Legacy Resident Evil with Alice are now MASTERPIECES.

Also: WHAT THE FUCK WITH Leon: this "inclusive" cast is plain beyond ridiculous and he's SO FUCKING STUPID IN THE MOVIE. That's EMBARRASSING.

The cast choice is really average to EXTREMELY BAD (still looking at you Leon from [insert_not_Leon_country_of_your_choice]).

Then: FUCK YOU "LA LA LA CHILD MUSIC", what they were thinking ? This "music" is a parody of a parody from a cliché.
The guy behind this "music" choice should be FIRED, it's over used and this song is both unbearable and ridiculous: stop immediately doing movies.

I only liked the fact that they tried to kinda "respect" the timeline of the games.

2/10
(For the almost timeline and the RESIDENT EVIL red title font)

Last edited:
The internet really undersells the movie. me and my bro kept looking at each other for probably the whole first half like "this shit aint bad at all" It was actually kind of good. The end bit wasn't so hot but i honestly enjoyed it.

Saw it a few weeks ago. I did like the atmosphere of the movie, particularly once in the Spencer mansion. Felt pretty in-tune with the classic games. I thought some of the characters were written at least kind of decently, too.

But honestly, the Alice RE movies are better films. They may not fully follow the canon of the games but at least they clearly establish the films as their own canon, and the character references they did do, they did very well. Claire, Jill (both her RE3 and RE5 iterations), Carlos, Wesker etc. were pretty faithful to their game counterparts in terms of style and looks, if not literal storylines (for obvious reasons).

The Alice films are also just flat-out entertaining for action/scifi/horror. It's nothing revolutionary, but the pacing is pretty tight and the films don't overstay their welcome in runtime. This new Netflix RE film had several parts that felt like they dragged, and while I actually liked the actress & actor for Jill and Leon respectively, I would have preferred they either played Sheva & Carlos or new characters, rather than the characters they actually ended up playing.

More I think about it now though, the movie also has a problem (IMO) with the way they kind of...well I don't want to phrase it like "that" so I'll just say...the way it kind of conveniently sidelined Leon and Chris, made Wesker maybe a bit too sympathetic, and massively amped up Jill and Claire. Jill and Claire were obviously major factors in the RE story proper, especially for the games they starred in, but that never came at the expense of Chris and Leon. Whereas with this Netflix film, it feels like Chris and Leon are only considered co-leads due to name status, not really due to anything they do in the actual film.

Most of the time they're either not on the screen, or always cede to playing the backup. None of their actions feel paramount to driving the plot forward, unlike with Jill and Claire. I would've preferred if the film found a way to keep the agency for Jill and Claire while matching that with equal agency for Chris and Leon. Sadly it just consistently fails at doing this.

Give it a watch if you want to see something new RE-wise. However IMO the Alice films and CG movies are better watches overall.

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
It was ok. It's pretty bad if youre a fan of the game and characters.

But in a bubble for someone not familiar or not really arsed, its a solid 6.5/7 out of 10. It had its decent moments and others not so good but overall it was a decent timekiller.

The CGI on the last scenes was pretty terrible tho lol.

yurinka

Saw it yesterday. Some actors like the gipsy Leon aren't a good choice but it's a great adaptation with tons of little details for the fans of the first games. Fits perfectly the cheesy story and horror B movies of the games.

Last edited:

TwinB242

It was so bad it actually managed to make me yearn for the Jovovich/Anderson films. The best thing I can say about it is that it does manage to be more faithful to the source material when it comes to the story beats but it still manages to execute them and everything else so poorly.

Neff

I skipped this at the cinema but I just copped the Blu Ray, and honestly my high church RE esotericism was not offended in the least. It's dumb, cringe-y as fuck, and has no subtlety whatsoever, but when it's good it's surprisingly good. The sets are great, and there are lots of nice, drawn-out moments allowing me to soak up the ambience. There are some pretty well-crafted creepy scenes too. The Licker scene with the swinging lights was particularly good. The Ashford home video was a genuine and welcome (if completely gratuitous) surprise. While I might not be strictly on the same page as the writer/director when it comes to defining RE, we both clearly love it, and I think a lot of sincere work was put in.

Easily head and shoulders above the Jovovich movies, which isn't saying much, I know.

It’s funny cause this movie was successful because it was so cheap.

That being said, you guys think there will be sequels?

I have no interest in the franchise, other than my girlfriend seems to like Resident Evil games for some weird reason. Even though I think the whole franchise is trash.

Top Bottom