• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil World Must Be Awful To Live In

The world of Resident Evil must be a very awful place to live. It seems like every 5 years or less there is a zombie outbreak. The public is well aware of zombies and the viruses and people are probably in constant fear.

There's probably been lock downs and quarantines that would make covid restrictions look like a pillow fight.

With all these mutant strains and giant monsters and zombies, people must be afraid to leave their house. The world of Resident Evil definitely is not the normal world we live in. I don't know how life must be but it's probably insufferable.

Last edited:

SHA

It's what's in players mindset that matters, everything behind the scenes supposed to be mysterious for thrilling purposes.

Jinjo

For a post-outbreak world, the infection spread actually seems relatively contained compared to most other zombie games like The Last of Us and others. There the entire world just goes to shit instantly. In resident evil there still seems to be a functioning government & society. But yes, it would be awful offcourse lol.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Resident Evil universe would be easy mode compared to a lot of places you could be thrown in a hypothetical like this, I think. I mean, as always, would depend upon your armaments and skill with said armaments.

I mean, I picture living in like....Dark Aether from Metroid Prime 2 without the ability to activate light crystals. Just sitting there smiling anxiously as your face dissolves into emo-filter Alex Mack bullshit that T2JD's itself into hentai spiders or the fuck ever and it's like...yeah, fuck it, I'll let your tentacle bug tickle my spine Mr. Mendez, sure thing, better than FUCKING EVAPORATING

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
After playing Dead Space remake I would say what happened in Ishimura was much worse. The Marker will make everyone close to it lose their mind make kill themselves or kill each other, similar to Event Horizon movie.

basically no matter what, either you gonna be killed by necromorph or lose your insanity.

Kuranghi

Most RE games are isolated incidents that are covered up at the end/after the fact.

In 2/3 and 5 you have to suspend disbelief a bit further since they'd have to stop photos and videos from proliferating on a mass scale but it's usually played off as the survivors/evidence holders are seen as crazy conspiracy people.

I don't think your average Jack and Jean of the RE universe know anything about the virus or zambies. Umbrella probably makes media - like movies, books, TV - that is eerily similar to what they make so that when someone sees some shakey footage of a zambie that got out somehow they just think it's a joke/hoax due to the similarities with fiction.

Shifty1897

Would you live in a world where zombie outbreaks exist BUT everyone alive is hot?
Season 9 Idk GIF by The Office

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
Would you live in a world where zombie outbreaks exist BUT everyone alive is hot?
Season 9 Idk GIF by The Office
I was about to say that there is a price to pay for living in the same universe than the apex chad Chris Redfield, and to a lesser extent that toyboy Leon :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Gojiira

Banned
Yeah Idk, getting infected and turning into one of the intelligent monsters like Wesker with a bunch of tentacles sounds good to me…
In all serious though, Silent Hill or Doom or Bloodborne probably have worst worlds to inhabit.
Its easier to list ones worth inhabiting lol

Doom85

Most RE games are isolated incidents that are covered up at the end/after the fact.

In 2/3 and 5 you have to suspend disbelief a bit further since they'd have to stop photos and videos from proliferating on a mass scale but it's usually played off as the survivors/evidence holders are seen as crazy conspiracy people.

I don't think your average Jack and Jean of the RE universe know anything about the virus or zambies. Umbrella probably makes media - like movies, books, TV - that is eerily similar to what they make so that when someone sees some shakey footage of a zambie that got out somehow they just think it's a joke/hoax due to the similarities with fiction.

Viral outbreaks definitely became public knowledge after 5 and especially 6. No way was anyone covering up what happened in 6.

Also, Umbrella would never have made anything like that. The outbreak was caused by James Marcus, or rather the Queen Leech controlling his body, so why would the rest of Umbrella be making zombie fiction to cover for something they never intended to happen in the first place (Birkin was also plotting on giving it to the military, but again he kept that under wraps so he would not be making movies with anyone)? Also, after RE 3, Umbrella soon went under with only individuals like Wesker still posing a threat. Nobody was making movies after that.

By the time of 7, everyone knows about the bio outbreaks. Hell, the recruitment ad for Terra Save in Revelations 2 specifically cites bio terror as what they’re fighting. Everybody knows by this point.

jaysius

Banned
After playing Dead Space remake I would say what happened in Ishimura was much worse. The Marker will make everyone close to it lose their mind make kill themselves or kill each other, similar to Event Horizon movie.

basically no matter what, either you gonna be killed by necromorph or lose your insanity.
Not really, space is vast, it’s only ever impacted a small portion of it, just don’t go to those zones and don‘t be a pudding brain cult follower and your good.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Resident evil would be terrible as even 2 strategically placed zombies may be a threat.

Gears of evil not so much. Everyone is a one man army.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
So, everyone is hot, and some remote village gets nuked and some horror creatures get loose every few years. Yeah, most everyone would be fine.

It's the most realistic one, as in other games or zombie movies, somehow logistics and the military break down within hours for no reason.

Last edited:
No, they contain that shit immediately. It's really impressive. America wouldn't have the balls to drop a nuke on an entire city in an expedient manner.

Has there ever been a worldwide outbreak in any of the games? Movies don't count.

fart town usa

Gold Member
The saddest part of all of this is that Capcom just let the series go completely off the rails. Clearly I'm a huge RE fanboy but the plot in the game has been dumb beyond reason for 2+ decades now.

I really wish they would just kill everyone off, end the series as it stands and reboot it with a completely fresh start. They need to restrain themselves. Main reason I continue to enjoy the games is cause of the gameplay and atmosphere. If they go back to RE5/6, I'm gonna dip out.

Hohenheim

The world of Resident Evil must be a very awful place to live. It seems like every 5 years or less there is a zombie outbreak. The public is well aware of zombies and the viruses and people are probably in constant fear.

There's probably been lock downs and quarantines that would make covid restrictions look like a pillow fight.

With all these mutant strains and giant monsters and zombies, people must be afraid to leave their house. The world of Resident Evil definitely is not the normal world we live in. I don't know how life must be but it's probably insufferable.
I love how grounded this take is! I find it very funny.
People must be afraid to leave their house?? Well, that's quite the understatement! I mean, people are scared to leave their houses IRL now, even without zombies and monster lurking in the neighbourhoods.

I can't stop smiling at the scenario with some dude looking outside the window of his house, going "oh, well. Zombies and giant monsters are lurking outside AGAIN. I'll stay in and watch a show then.."

Top Bottom