• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Respawn’s Untitled Star Wars Game Will Be Inspired By The Jedi Knight Series

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
Dark-Forces-II-1536x710.jpg.webp

Back in January of 2022, Respawn Entertainment announced they were developing three new games set in the Star Wars universe. One of these was announced to be a single-player FPS game, with some speculating on some form of advanced movement mechanics being included.

Multiple job postings from Respawn Entertainment suggest the forthcoming game is inspired by Jedi Knight: Dark Forces and its sequel. The job postings for senior-level positions at Respawn’s Seattle and Los Angles studios All reference the classic Star Wars Jedi Knigtht games, including a line confirming their inspiration for the new FPS title.

Respawn-Posting-1-1536x703.jpg.webp

The postings for a Cinematic Lead, Lead Lighting Artist, Lead Mission Designer, and more all contain the same line about the game: “Inspired by classic titles like Dark Forces and Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2, our story-driven single-player game is being developed from the ground up leveraging the power of Unreal Engine 5.

Posting1.jpg.webp

A quote from a job posting from Respawn Entertainment

brian0057

Banned
Jedi Knight > Star Wars Jedi.
I hope they can pull it off because good Star Wars games are sorely lacking these days.

Last edited:
As a kid I played online on MSN's Gaming Zone and was part of one of the clans that did good in ladders, won some money as a youngin lol

1v1 NF Sabers or FF Guns Oasis tho

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
A Jedi game is ideal, Star Wars is an important franchise that currently has tv shows, movies and games in the works which gives it a signal to multiple media forms.

SCB3

Give me remakes of Jedi Knight and Academy with Kyle Katarn and maybe Jedi Fall Orders combat and I'd be very very happy

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
jedi knight roguelite loot tarkove like game!!!???

Imagine you died and lost your lightsaber, have to scavenge loot to build another one!

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Just bring back Kyle Katarn and redo Dark Forces. But, please do not make a "Jedi Knight" Series game without bringing back the AWESOME lightsaber combat from them. I still have no idea why nobody has ever taken Jedi Outcast and Academy combat and improved on it. Best melee combat in any game ever. I hate modern star wars games and their lightsaber baseball bat combat.

edit: Just thought about it some more and honestly think I'd be okay with them bringing back Mara Jade as well. She was the main character of a Dark Forces 2 expansion. We need FMV cutscenes though :p.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I replayed Dark Forces a couple years ago it was sooo good.

I also replayed Jedi Knight and the Mysteries of the Sith expansion. Both kicked ass.

I need to get to JK2 which I have never played.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
edit: Just thought about it some more and honestly think I'd be okay with them bringing back Mara Jade as well. She was the main character of a Dark Forces 2 expansion. We need FMV cutscenes though :p.

They wont bring her back I dont think because she doesnt work in the new cannon. Great character though.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
They wont bring her back I dont think because she doesnt work in the new cannon. Great character though.
She could be brought back as a love interest for Kyle Katarn. I just thought the idea of the Emperors Hand was really cool and she was fun character in the EU (Thrawn Trilogy and beyond).

Drizzlehell

Banned
Perhaps showing my age, but Dark Forces 2 sticks in my mind because of the sheer scale of the levels. At the time they seemed cavernous compared to Quake, which suited classic Star Wars locations like Nar Shadaa. From the people who made Titanfall 2, I'm interested in what they come up with.
6f0410e2-ac97-4825-bb41-712b4c04b8af_text.gif

Jedi Knight had massive levels indeed. They were mostly just flat textures of course but the sense of scale was truly unlike any other game at the time and it can be felt even today.

If they'd make a Titanfall 2-style FPS with similar sense of scale but infinitely more detailed environments, that would be dope-tastic!

Verchod

Excellent reference points. Solid games.
But personally, even though I enjoy the Start wars universe, being a Jedi is not interesting. I'd rather be a bounty hunter type character. Far more interesting. Maybe An immersive Sim in a Star wars universe, now that would be cool.

Barakov

Gold Member
Dark-Forces-II-1536x710.jpg.webp

Back in January of 2022, Respawn Entertainment announced they were developing three new games set in the Star Wars universe. One of these was announced to be a single-player FPS game, with some speculating on some form of advanced movement mechanics being included.

Multiple job postings from Respawn Entertainment suggest the forthcoming game is inspired by Jedi Knight: Dark Forces and its sequel. The job postings for senior-level positions at Respawn’s Seattle and Los Angles studios All reference the classic Star Wars Jedi Knigtht games, including a line confirming their inspiration for the new FPS title.

Respawn-Posting-1-1536x703.jpg.webp

The postings for a Cinematic Lead, Lead Lighting Artist, Lead Mission Designer, and more all contain the same line about the game: “Inspired by classic titles like Dark Forces and Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2, our story-driven single-player game is being developed from the ground up leveraging the power of Unreal Engine 5.

Posting1.jpg.webp

A quote from a job posting from Respawn Entertainment

Zdf Im Horny GIF by funk

MiguelItUp

I know this project has been talked about the last couple of years. An FPS that doesn't involve Siths or Jedis, and is all gun and gadget based. Stoked for more Star Wars games. But man, I want a new Jedi Knight so bad.

I have so many memories of Jedi Academy online and I was sooooo bad at dueling, but that was one of my first ever Star Wars games online.

This makes me excited.

I remember when i was about 7 my dad got a power mac for the family and he got me the dark forces 1 cd. lawd hammercy that was amazing. I hope we see Kyle Katarn as an old jedi dude

Last edited:
These were some of my favorite games on PC way back. Jedi Knight was awesome. Love everything about those games - I played so much of the multiplayer on MSN Gaming Zone, downloaded lots of custom levels and etc... It was a very lively community!

Top Bottom