• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Respawn Supposedly Rejected Calls for a Female and/or Black Lead for Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (IGN)

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That is the new asian obsession, a white face. This is evident in their tv shows, movies anime and manga. South korea is the most extremist for this practice.
You see that shit on dating apps all the time. Lots of them have the same photoshop/dating app look. Pale white, pointy chin, 50% bigger eyes. It's like all the apps doing Asian mode all follow the same visual algorithm. And it looks 100% retarded.

Amen.

People who look up to video game characters or athletes etc.... Never understood it.

As you said, for me even as a kid, games were all about racking up the highest score, beating the game and moving on. Who gives a shit about Italian Mario and the princess? I was never a speedrunner type of gamer ever but I was trying to max out pts doing turtle bopping combos and finding coins.

Sports is the same. I care for the team winning and have my fav players. But that's just for my team winning, not thinking about the guy like he's a father figure. The guy plays sports on TV. Has absolutely zero to do with me doing homework or finishing essays.
Wait, so you DON'T want your hockey team to be made purely of minority players? You bigot! 😂

(Which by the way brings up a purely logical/common sense point: an organization or medium of any sort made up of mostly "minorities" is by DEFINITION, not made up of minorites, since the "minorities" are the majority at that point...)

I think one of the best examples I can think of a "minority" character done really well was that PS4 game inFamous: Second Son. The main character Delsin and some of the side characters were of Native American heritage. It didn't feel forced, it felt very organic in the way it was portrayed and woven into the story. Clearly his heritage mattered to Delsin, but it was not something shoved in the player's face every 2 seconds. Hell, the main villain was a chick and even she was well done. More games should take note...

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Wait, so you DON'T want your hockey team to be made purely of minority players? You bigot! 😂

(Which by the way brings up a purely logical/common sense point: an organization or medium of any sort made up of mostly "minorities" is by DEFINITION, not made up of minorites, since the "minorities" are the majority at that point...)

I think one of the best examples I can think of a "minority" character done really well was that PS4 game inFamous: Second Son. The main character Delsin and some of the side characters were of Native American heritage. It didn't feel forced, it felt very organic in the way it was portrayed and woven into the story. Clearly his heritage mattered to Delsin, but it was not something shoved in the player's face every 2 seconds. Hell, the main villain was a chick and even she was well done. More games should take note...
LOL.

Funny how sports is one part PR game of anti-discrimination, yet when to comes to signing players the teams gun for the best player for that role and budget no matter what they look like.

You got the NBA promoting equality but is mostly black players. And the NHL does the same but is mostly white players. And both sports have hardly any other kind of ethnicity. The only Indian guy I've seen regarding the NHL is there's a Sikh play by play commentator.

As for the term minority, it doesn't even make sense anymore because the term technically means a situation where one side is in fewer numbers. So if solely looking at numbers it can be correctly used.

But the term has a different meaning. Not just numbers, but the term is also supposed to represent down and out groups.... broke, bad jobs, etc....

Yet within that "minority" classification, unless someone can find an obscure survey, every US and Canadian report I've read has Asians consistently ranking the highest in education, jobs, and average pay. So why would this group be lumped into the down and out image of minorities as if they need a helping hand against oppressive overlords?

Last edited:

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
She is beautiful. any 30+ dudes would like to go on a date with her.

30+ dude checking in. And nope, I'd rather jerk off forever.

Honestly I hope the devs spend their resources on solving the age old Star Wars gameplay nemesis of the "light-baton" versus debating skin colors.

Lightsabers need to cut things. I hate it when they turn into a baseball bats.

Last edited:

MAtgS

Why it's gotta be human all the time? When will Star Wars finally have alien leads? So racist, Disney!

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
"So I have this character, he's young and scrappy on some rare planet and finds out that he's force sensitive one day. He's white, younh with ginger hair"

"Can you cast him as black and a female?"

"Well, when I created the character in my mind I saw the character I mentioned....so that's the character"

"What is wrong with you.....wait until reeeeeeeeee hears about this!"

"I just wanted to make the character I invisioned" sadge

Meanwhile on the internet...."don't make games by commitee or focus tested"

Like I'm all for everyone and everything. Do, be and find what makes you happy. Life is short. But I get a worse image of game development if we pandered to all this. lik3, I can see a circle of people listening to the writer pitch their story and characters and then straight away the group being like "why don't we make the character a black female lesbian....that would be so inclusive and instantly get us brownie points with the majority of the gaming press and fans"

"What about an Indian protaganist" One person says....."don't be daft, we are no where near ready for that kind of protagonist yet!" Get the funk outta here with that shit I say.

I'm all for diversity in games, the world is a colourful place... but why does Diversity seem to just mean Black people?

Where are the Indian or Asian leeds?

I don't particularly care about the race of a character (I don't project myself on them, same as with female leeds), but diversity is not just Black people.

So true.

Also I feel like the medias mantra is: can't do the Indians because they ain't cool, or East Asians because they are actually privileged class of immigrants.

Unless you need a nerd character or someone to laugh at.

But if we have black characters then tick tick tick all the racial quotas and claps all around.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I'm all for diversity in games, the world is a colourful place... but why does Diversity seem to just mean Black people?

Where are the Indian or Asian leeds?

I don't particularly care about the race of a character (I don't project myself on them, same as with female leeds), but diversity is not just Black people.

This I agree with.
I am not American and these days US media is so saturated with black/LGBTQ characters that it feels forced (which it is), and at the expense of other minorities. My wife genuinely thought US has like 50% black population because of this.

All US media, at least from the point of view of a non-American consumer, seems to be focused on one thing- shoving down as many black or LGBTQ characters as possible. Everything else like good story, interesting characters, screenplay etc., seems to have taken a hit. Or maybe it's just Netflix :p

I would love to see more native American characters, I think they are severely under represented. And it's a very interesting culture.

zkorejo

The actor that played Cal is really good. Idk how he was in the game but if he was bland, I blame the writing. And in that case the skin color wouldn't have changed much.

Last edited:

Former Respawn developer Nora Shramek has claimed that Respawn management rejected requests to make the lead to Jedi: Fallen Order Black and/or a

Funny how diversity seems to only allow for two other options. Why not request Native American, Hispanic, Middle Eastern or Asian leads as well? Why one specific race?

Last edited:

Amiga

What main character needed was better writing, not a different skin or sex. And it would all be fake because it has nothing to do with In universe diversity that would include Twi'leks, Mon Calamari, Wookiee, Chiss, Droids..

I don't get all the complaints about Cal. Cal's OK. Doesn't seem particularly more bland than the majority of other videogame protagonists. People expecting some Jack Nicholson-esque character / performance or something?

Gp1

Just go with the character creator route...
so all these folks that care for the game and the ones that complain can create their own white male protagonist 68% of the time. Like Mass Effect Remastered data showed us.

Last edited:
On a somewhat tangentially related note, would anyone else want a game where you play as either/both Mace Windu and/or Qui-gon Jinn?

Windu was badass in the Tartakovsky Clone Wars and they’re both underdeveloped characters that could maybe benefit from more depth. Then again pre-prequel era might not have much material to work with.

Shmunter

maxresdefault.jpg

Wohc

Banned
Jesus. I wish that for just one year every game would have a straight male lead and that other options would be in a 10 Euro DLC. You want a black lesbian with a half shaved head? No problem, pay for it. You want a super ugly female? No problem, pay for it. Would be interesting to see how many people actually care about that stuff. I bet the only DLC selling more than 10 times would be something like Tifa.

Majormaxxx

Mock all you want. This actress is phenomenal in both Fallen Order and New Colossus. She is beautiful and amazing.
She was good as the Harbinger in Halo Infinite as well as the general in COD.

She no longer plays the role of an ingenue/love interest so no need to try and push her as a "hot woman".

As for New Colossus - something was off there... The whole game was off. The Old Blood was great though.

Last edited:
What i find funny about this is A couple month back i had a thread about Short lived trends in gaming where i saw that black or brown-skinned female characters/avatar on game art promotion as the focus.

Not to get too political,
this Avatar is the epitome of progressivism. It goes deeper by targeting Gen Z with said characters as it show thing like "community" and social grouping.

OZZcFvf.jpg

Vjodan7.png

0OeaDEF.jpg

SsVAgFt.png

Nothing is by accident here

Kerotan

Black privilege strikes again. I wanted an Irish lead with a really thick Kerry accent that nobody outside of even Kerry could understand. These People are under represented in mainstream western media. We need more awareness.

But wherever I'll respect a ginger brother instead.

Honey Bunny

Yeh i was actually surprised to see the lead was white male. Of course the woke racists tried to get them to change it.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Era rn:
1BbQ.gif

But seriously cal is pretty boring, if the same character was a different race or gender, i dont think it would improve them without substantial character changes to go with it. Im fine if the next game ditches him for a woman or poc, as long as they are interesting
What a moronic thing to say.

Being a black women automatically means better writing and a more interesting character.

You put purple hairs and shaved sides haircut and you are in for a threat (yeah it's spelled wrong on purpose)

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Cal is such a boring fuck literally any other character would have been a better choice.....yeah bring on the woman or the POC cuz I can all bud guarantee we would have had a more memorable character.

Legit during the whole playthrough I was like why am I NOT playing as Trilla?
P.S Trilla needs her own frikken game:
165351_bwfpbi1ulw4tmc0wltatndkwltcyma.jpg

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Cal is such a boring fuck literally any other character would have been a better choice.....yeah bring on the woman or the POC cuz I can all bud guarantee we would have had a more memorable character.

Cal was boring because he was a white male?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Cal was boring because he was a white male?
No because his story was boring and the actor halfassed his way through an already boring character.

This is Trilla story:
Shes an Imperial Inquisitor who is the mainish badguy of the game was once a Jedi Padawan she survived Order 66, her former master betrayed her so she succumbed to the dark side, taking the title of Second Sister and setting out to hunt down surviving Jedi.
Yeah people might say her story would be kinda a rehash of Episode 3.....but it would have been alot more interesting surviving Order 66, being plot twist betrayed by your master then playing the second half of the game as an Inquisitor.

Top Bottom