• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Respawn Supposedly Rejected Calls for a Female and/or Black Lead for Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (IGN)

I'm all for diversity in games, the world is a colourful place... but why does Diversity seem to just mean Black people?

Where are the Indian or Asian leeds?

I don't particularly care about the race of a character (I don't project myself on them, same as with female leeds), but diversity is not just Black people.
Where are the Eskimo people? What about Arabs? How about Hawaiian people? Did they not have those in a galaxy far far away? Problem is Twitter writers keep trying to decide so we end up with headlines like this.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Where are the Eskimo people? What about Arabs? How about Hawaiian people? Did they not have those in a galaxy far far away? Problem is Twitter writers keep trying to decide so we end up with headlines like this.
To be fair, arabs are plenty in military shooters. Half the time they are one of the forces involved and the main villain is going to be either Russian or middle Eastern.

Too bad they are painted in a bad light just about every time.

Problem is writers and media are boring and they stick to the same shit.

When gamers played MW2 and there was that mission you mow down airport civilians people still loved the game. It’s actually the only thing I even remember from the SP campaign.

Gamers and critics still seemed to love the game even that’s as 180 as you can get for plot lines.

If writers had more courage to think outside the box you get more interesting stories. No wonder so many people like me just mash the button to skip cinematics. I don’t need to see b-tier scripts talking about good guy west and evil east for the 100th time. I get it. USA and UK are global protectors even in video game scripts.

Last edited:
I'm a British Indian, non religious, not having brown protagonists doesn't bug me as like i mentioned, I don't project myself onto characters, I treat stories in games as characters stories and not mine.

But think about the people that are bothered by this! Do their voices not matter? Thats the response you usually get on Twitter.

You want diversity but criticize this approach so your opinion doesn't matter cause you're more or less on our side and the bit we disagree on is wrong anyway. On the other hand if you're against it you're a guaranteed racists and therefore your opinion doesn't matter anyway. The only way to win is to wholeheartedly agree with them.

To be fair, arabs are plenty in military shooters. Half the time they are one of the forces involved and the main villain is going to be either Russian or middle Eastern.

To be fair tho this was regarding the protagonist of a star wars game hence the Galaxy far far away bit but yes in games set in the middle east you do get to see plenty of Arabs.

At the end of the day it's about what sells and what publishers are willing to risk. I can imagine selling a game set in the middle east where you fight American forces wouldn't be very popular in America specially the further back in time you go to 9/11.

On the topic of black protagonist EAs BF1 had a lone black man on the cover and story segments about the black American forces of WW1 and that game sold incredibly well. With BFV they took a step further and had a lone white woman on the cover but that game didn't do so well. For the next game BF2042 they went back to white male on the cover something we haven't seen since BF4 in 2013 and while the game sold well initially it was mired with issues like BFV. I imagine EA went back to white male because they were afraid of losing money on BF2042 after BFVs blunder but I can't imagine having a women on the cover was the only reason BFV struggled.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Let me try communicating with him

Ree reeeee re re reeeeeee re?
Reeee re rere reee re reee re ree re!
Reeeeeeee? Re rerere reee rereeeeeeeee!

Re re :)
The Greatest Showman Lol GIF by Sky

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
To be fair tho this was regarding the protagonist of a star wars game hence the Galaxy far far away bit but yes in games set in the middle east you do get to see plenty of Arabs.

At the end of the day it's about what sells and what publishers are willing to risk. I can imagine selling a game set in the middle east where you fight American forces wouldn't be very popular in America specially the further back in time you go to 9/11.

On the topic of black protagonist EAs BF1 had a lone black man on the cover and story segments about the black American forces of WW1 and that game sold incredibly well. With BFV they took a step further and had a lone white woman on the cover but that game didn't do so well. For the next game BF2042 they went back to white male on the cover something we haven't seen since BF4 in 2013 and while the game sold well initially it was mired with issues like BFV. I imagine EA went back to white male because they were afraid of losing money on BF2042 after BFVs blunder but I can't imagine having a women on the cover was the only reason BFV struggled.
Good points.

IMO I think video game companies can try a lot more ideas if they wanted to and still succeed.

I never played blood borne or elden ring (I’ll give it a try soon as my buddy bought it and we do home sharing), but if you mix it up no wonder people love these kinds of From games.: imagine if all the DS, BB and ER had the same gameplay but all their crazy creatures were replaced with the usual D&D giant rats, goblins and trolls most traditional RPGs have. I’d bet their games would get a lot less attention.

Try something new.

I’d love to try a game where Canada/US/UK were the enemy and it’s up to the rest of the world armies to fight back. Instead of protecting the White House or buckingham palace, your aim is to destroy it. Blow up the CN Tower and have it fall on skyscrapers. Crazy shit.

Last edited:

MacReady13

Where in the FUCK is my Italian/Australian (or more specifically Calabrese) Star Wars lead character? I want to associate myself with a lead and I can never seem to find them! It's a fucking outrage. Diversity my ass...

Top Bottom