• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retired GAF members...

Mondai

Gold Member
Most people think it is the best thing ever when you stay home and don't have to work (and for the most part it is) but sometimes you just find yourself being extremely bored/depressed , like you're just wasting space . Those in a similar positon , what you do with your free time besides gaming, watching TV, internet?

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Far from it. I have a nice job, 3 years in business manager for EVs and hired some great employees. I told my wife the other day, I'll work another 40-years if I can. My Dad's a CEO and refuses to retire (at 64) and my Grandfather was forced to retire at 78 due to health restrictions. I started work when I was 12 with my Dad and just like being active. Why retire and get paid less to do nothing?

Mondai

Gold Member
Far from it. I have a nice job, 3 years in business manager for EVs and hired some great employees. I told my wife the other day, I'll work another 40-years if I can. My Dad's a CEO and refuses to retire (at 64) and my Grandfather was forced to retire at 78 due to health restrictions. I started work when I was 12 with my Dad and just like being active. Why retire and get paid less to do nothing?
Because you can do whatever you want and not have to worry about job stuff?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Oh look at me. I have a pension and a means to retire.
Must Be Nice Imagine That GIF by Awkward Daytime TV

We’ll be lucky they don’t move the retirement age to 80 at this rate.

dave_d

I'm getting up there but still over a decade a way.(Unless I were to retire early.) I'm wondering if the free college for seniors might be a good thing to do while retired.(Since my state has that but I wonder if there's a gotcha that means it isn't really free.) Always did want to try getting a bachelors in physics or chem to go along with my comp sci degree.

OZ9000

Banned
I am no where near retiring but I don't plan to retire myself. I will probably cut my work down to 3-4 days a week in approx 20 years.

Having said that, if I was truly retired I'd spend all my free time exercising, going out for walks, reading books, and playing video games.

Last edited:

John Bilbo

Developing a habit of exercising worked for myself. Also picking up a book that challenged my thoughts. Trying to find a path towards something meaningful.

GeekyDad

Routine is important, but that's the same when I'm working. I can rarely stay on it, but at least I keep it there as a guidepost. Right now, we have our dog back living with us (he was staying with our kids), so I'm taking him for four 15-minute walks each day. I have chores set for house/yard work each day. I take a one-hour walk each day at my local rec center, make my salad and dinner early in the day once my wife is awake. Making my salad each day is very relaxing -- that takes about an hour with clean up and all. Like walking, prepping food helps me to rest my mind. I do store runs twice a week, doctors appointments. When my wife gets home, I let her unload the day's troubles and gossip on me while we eat, we watch a show together, then we each usually retreat to our computers for about 45 minutes or so before bed. I've been experimenting a lot with recipes, stuff that's healthy that also tastes good.

Last edited:

Become involved in local groups be it gardening, woodland ranging, volunteer for something like citizens advice or a repair bank; there are plenty of things retired ppl with skills can do; your community will have vacant roles dying for someone with time and experience to fill them guaranteed.

Rockondevil

Gold Member
My backlog of entertainment is growing so fast these days I can't wait for the day to catch up on it all. At least another ~30 years left I reckon.

Winter John

Gold Member
If there's one thing the pandemic taught me it's I'm never retiring. The first couple of weeks were great but after I'd done all the repairs and shit I'd been putting off for years, things started getting a little too squirrelly. Sometimes I'd wake up in the morning, see my beautiful wife and kid having their breakfast and wish I had a bag of coke just so I could handle another 24hrs with those people.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Most people think it is the best thing ever when you stay home and don't have to work (and for the most part it is) but sometimes you just find yourself being extremely bored/depressed , like you're just wasting space . Those in a similar positon , what you do with your free time besides gaming, watching TV, internet?
You need some hobbies man. Some physical activity and some social. Work on building a skill, like wood working or leather working.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
My uncle retired early, and before he passed he had a schedule of activities he could do with others or by himself for each day. Like Monday afternoons was the driving range (golf), Tuesday the gun range, Wednesday the batting cage, Thursday a matinee at the theater, Friday was wine tasting at the local vineyard, etc. Invited friends or family and if no one could go with him he just went by himself. The kinds of activities working folks could only do on the weekends, you know? But just spread them out over the week.

Last edited:

thefool

Learn, accumulate knowledge. I'm positive that's what we're all here for, to learn as much as we can and expand beyond our limitations.

Last edited:

dr_octagon

Banned
I have a low IQ but I don't appreciate being called out like this in the thread title. No need for name calling.

Fake edit: Oh right, never mind.

Last edited:
I was a tree surgeon from the age of twenty and started to reduce my work load in 2011 when my mum sadly passed away and left me a house and savings and the same situation with my dad in 2021, leaving me a house and savings, so I finally quit working (parents were divorced). I miss my parents and haven't properly grieved if I'm honest.

I miss elements of arboriculture like rigging and tree take downs ect, but I struggled with interactions. I've struggled with mental health problems since I was a child so it's always been an uphill struggle to stay employed. To be fair me and a chainsaw was never a good combination in a stressful situation. I'm glad I'm out of the rat race.

I've a lot of hobbies now that's for sure.

Top Bottom