• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

|OT| Community Retro Anime Discussion |OT|

What retro anime titles are long overdue for a blu-ray release in North America?

• Total voters

JunkerWoland

Jun 29, 2016
At least for DVDs & BDs, my tactic with Amazon is to make small orders (two discs at most) that will fit in the company's various mailer envelopes, ideally a bubble mailer. As long as the delivery agent doesn't mindlessly throw the package under some heavy boxes, the envelopes usually keep cases safe. Slipcovers do tend to be a crap shoot, likely a combination of a release's age and Amazon's outsize ordering. (Slipcovers are also the worst packaging decision to happen to collecting.) Manga, on the other hand, is almost always a lost cause.

I do wish Amazon in North America would pay even a fraction of the amount of care to packaging as Amazon Japan. Even with the occasional beatings applied by customs & DHL and Japan's use of wafer-thin cardboard, the overwhelming majority of my orders still arrive in pristine condition.

Last edited:

Space Runaway

Sep 5, 2018
Running Man was shown on Liguid Television? That's something else I did not know. It fits with the abstract or extreme cartoons which made their run on Liquid. I'm also thinking (although I've never read this) that Aeon Flux' creator was possibly inspired by the works Yoshiaki Kawajiri somewhat in style. I don't want to go too far down that topic as it may go off topic from the OP.

Yeah they showed it in one of the second season episodes. This was still a couple years before I was even aware of anime so I just saw it as some super cool looking short.

Peter Chung has mentioned Kawajiri as an influence (Though it was one of like 20 names he listed off in succession along with the likes of Moebius, Kubrick, Lynch, Umezu and such). So i don't know to what degree Kawajiri influenced his work. His main visual influence is Egon Schiele, which he's mentioned several times and is very apparent in his work.

Though to keep on subject of retro anime, he did say his main influence for his directorial style and such was Dezaki and the Cobra series. He talks about it quite a bit in this interview:

Regarding Angel Cop...no. I'm not into censored anime and I get that would make it seem less offensive but what I wanted to know - you pretty much already told me. I get they're fictional stories but that's a subject no one should have put into animation. The idea that Jewish bankers/politicians took over the U.S. and Japan sold out to...makes me start to question to beliefs of the writers. That idealology is completely twisted. I would have considered it if they had some conspiracy in the story that stated Jews are completely separate today from those prior to the 1st century. But this was not about their beliefs but rather their heritage. I'll pass on that --- glad I found out here before picking the Blu-ray.

Yeah I didn't know about any of that stuff when I originally saw it way back when, so I just watched it for what it was, b-movie trash you'd expect to see on USA Up All Night or something. =P Although Itano wrote Angel Cop it appears Noboru Aikawa is responsible for the antisemitic content. I'm not aware of any of his other writing having such but he does seem to include political content in a lot of his stuff.

First episode has the "best" scene in the series though. =P

Maybe I'm thinking of something else but was the A-Ko new release given a steel box release too?

I forgot to respond to this the other day but no, it doesn't have a steelbook. It does have a slip case and the cover insert is reversible so you can have the original cover art displayed.

Talking about OVA vs. TV as Dirty Pair is one example. Series even with a less budget per episode (which is almost always the case) was indeed better. However, this might piss some off to hear but...I liked the 'New Cutey Honey OVA' better than the original TV series from over a decade before.

That was like full two decades even. ;) Though I can understand as "New" is feels completely different from the original and has benefit of brevity, whereas the original was just a monster of the week comedy show. Though I did really like the background art and the spotlight motif for said backgrounds in the original.

I do like New Cutey Honey as well though I guess not too many other people did since they ended up having to shorten their planned 12 episodes to 8. =/

I feel most Go Nagai series' can be covered in an OVA and their stretches into TV just seemed to get a bit boring for me. The only exception I'd say in which they needed a series was with the first Mazinger franchise. Then again, I have somewhat of a bias as I've always preferred OVAs more than a series. I appreciate someone who can get their point across in a one to 12 episodes rather than dragging things out until they become of little interest. I feel if I want the full story; I'll buy the manga. I enjoyed the Ranma 1/2 TV series, even though they had to write away from Rumiko after the 2nd volume mostly. However, as mentioned last year when I went through with watching the full 5 seasons of the original Dragon Ball; it was good up until about season 3. After that, it just got worse and worse. I know you all have more takes on this and feel free to share.

My opinion is all over the place when it comes to that subject. Like say, I feel the original Gundam is better watched in the movie form for brevity (And animation fixes) whereas Zeta I'd rather watch the full TV series. I like the JoJo Stardust TV series better than the OVAs but then I prefer the OVA versions of D'arby and the entire final encounter with Dio. Then you have all the long running manga adaptions which can't be told in short form except so many are loaded with filler episodes to avoid passing the comic. Outside of some exceptions I hate those filler episodes. Even worse if they're recaps. So much of it feels like a waste of my time. But then at times they'll do things like extend key sequences or fights and sometimes those end up being an improvement. Blah. Plus now that I'm older I don't have as much time for such undertakings and the old 26 episode season sounds much more agreeable.

There's my TL;DR screed for you. =P

• Empathy
Reactions: Happosai

kunonabi

Dec 2, 2010
New Cutey Honey is still my favorite since it was my introduction and I loved the more bodacious powerful body type compared to the smaller versions of her. That said I like every series aside from Universe, ugh, and Live which I haven't seen yet.

On a totally unrelated note my copy of the new road buster bean bandit short arrived today to my complete shock.

• Fire

Happosai

May 13, 2020
South Central, Mexico
myanimelist.net
I'm sort of off amazon since you can't depend on them coming with slipcovers and the poor packaging is starting to grate on me.
I would agree on the not being able to depend on them to send out those collector's sets. For whatever reason, they tend to mostly send the Discotek releases with the slipcovers. I think they handle the international orders a bit better out here. To me, it would be nice if all releases had slip covers by default. It just seems to me that those of us left buying the physical releases are for those who've been collecting since the 90's or early 2000's.
Yeah they showed it in one of the second season episodes. This was still a couple years before I was even aware of anime so I just saw it as some super cool looking short.

Peter Chung has mentioned Kawajiri as an influence (Though it was one of like 20 names he listed off in succession along with the likes of Moebius, Kubrick, Lynch, Umezu and such). So i don't know to what degree Kawajiri influenced his work. His main visual influence is Egon Schiele, which he's mentioned several times and is very apparent in his work.

Though to keep on subject of retro anime, he did say his main influence for his directorial style and such was Dezaki and the Cobra series. He talks about it quite a bit in this interview:

Yeah I didn't know about any of that stuff when I originally saw it way back when, so I just watched it for what it was, b-movie trash you'd expect to see on USA Up All Night or something. =P Although Itano wrote Angel Cop it appears Noboru Aikawa is responsible for the antisemitic content. I'm not aware of any of his other writing having such but he does seem to include political content in a lot of his stuff.

First episode has the "best" scene in the series though. =P

I forgot to respond to this the other day but no, it doesn't have a steelbook. It does have a slip case and the cover insert is reversible so you can have the original cover art displayed.

That was like full two decades even. ;) Though I can understand as "New" is feels completely different from the original and has benefit of brevity, whereas the original was just a monster of the week comedy show. Though I did really like the background art and the spotlight motif for said backgrounds in the original.

I do like New Cutey Honey as well though I guess not too many other people did since they ended up having to shorten their planned 12 episodes to 8. =/

My opinion is all over the place when it comes to that subject. Like say, I feel the original Gundam is better watched in the movie form for brevity (And animation fixes) whereas Zeta I'd rather watch the full TV series. I like the JoJo Stardust TV series better than the OVAs but then I prefer the OVA versions of D'arby and the entire final encounter with Dio. Then you have all the long running manga adaptions which can't be told in short form except so many are loaded with filler episodes to avoid passing the comic. Outside of some exceptions I hate those filler episodes. Even worse if they're recaps. So much of it feels like a waste of my time. But then at times they'll do things like extend key sequences or fights and sometimes those end up being an improvement. Blah. Plus now that I'm older I don't have as much time for such undertakings and the old 26 episode season sounds much more agreeable.

There's my TL;DR screed for you. =P
Well, it would have been interesting had Peter Chung been able to collaborate with an anime studio back in the 90's. I doubt it would have been quite what he was expecting. Seems like the 90's was when budgets were dropping out and it became standard to see overworked animators coming into work and getting paid very little.

The spoiler either didn't open or I missed the joke ;)

There are certain series' that I would prefer to OVAs and I've mentioned Ranma 1/2. When I first had the opportunity of buying it. The series was spread out on so many VHS' that I never even tried watching it until VIZ released the DVD sets. The OVAs were more convenient but unlike some OVAs (which are a compartmentalized version of a series); there were episodes based on particular short stories from the manga. They're not bad but the series was more enjoyable on my end (minus seasons 5, 6 and 7 having been relatively lackluster).
New Cutey Honey is still my favorite since it was my introduction and I loved the more bodacious powerful body type compared to the smaller versions of her. That said I like every series aside from Universe, ugh, and Live which I haven't seen yet.

On a totally unrelated note my copy of the new road buster bean bandit short arrived today to my complete shock.
New Cutey Honey seemed to give better context to the character in a much shorter time. I agree that the TV series was fun but like many series -- I don't think they were pushing much to excite the audience with it after a few episodes. The character is also presented with most of her "secrets" known as it would be anticipated that the anime was aimed at the audience who'd been reading the manga. The New Cutey Honey seemed to come in and introduce younger audiences to a variation of the story. They seemed to get the point across even though it didn't meet the original planned episodic span.

OmegaSupreme

basic bitch
Apr 17, 2019
Speaking of Cutie Honey I need yall's help with remembering what cutie honey I saw. I think it was an ova but I'm not certain. There is this one scene that always sticks out to me. The two girls are training with some hard-ass instructor. They are given these special suits or bands on them that weigh them down and train every muscle in their body at all times. The instructor is giving them shit about their poor performance and they tell him it's hard with these bands on and that he doesn't know. He then takes off all his clothes and reveals he wears the bands 24/7. I always found this scene hilarious.

Happosai

May 13, 2020
South Central, Mexico
myanimelist.net
Speaking of Cutie Honey I need yall's help with remembering what cutie honey I saw. I think it was an ova but I'm not certain. There is this one scene that always sticks out to me. The two girls are training with some hard-ass instructor. They are given these special suits or bands on them that weigh them down and train every muscle in their body at all times. The instructor is giving them shit about their poor performance and they tell him it's hard with these bands on and that he doesn't know. He then takes off all his clothes and reveals he wears the bands 24/7. I always found this scene hilarious.
It's not ringing a bell to me as an episode from the original 73' series or the 'New Cutey Honey' OVA. It could have fallen into any of the preceding franchises though: Cutey Honey Flash, RE: Cutey Honey and Cutey Honey Universe. The latter two spin-offs aren't quite retro in my book even though I get 2004 is not recent (When RE: Cutey Honey was released). If you were able to recall the story of the episode itself -- that may help to better identify which part of the franchise it came from.

Happosai

May 13, 2020
South Central, Mexico
myanimelist.net

Sorry for oversighting the mention of Buster Bean Bandit. Were you in the Kickstarter campaign early on? How did you get that?

Speaking of Bean, Gunsmith Cats and Riding Bean...seems like we'll probably never see a good remaster of Riding Bean as long as AnimeEigo holds onto that. I know Gunsmith Cats had that limited crowd funded release; but it would be nice if they released a more economical version to retailers. I collect but I'll take one thing over nothing. Internationally, I have to rely on the retailers to get most titles.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Jul 2, 2013
Oregon
My son got my wife and I started watching all the old episodes of Lupin III. This show holds up extremely well for something that's 45 years old.

We also watched Lupin the Third: The First (the CG movie from a few years ago) and I really liked it.

kunonabi

Dec 2, 2010
Sorry for oversighting the mention of Buster Bean Bandit. Were you in the Kickstarter campaign early on? How did you get that?

Speaking of Bean, Gunsmith Cats and Riding Bean...seems like we'll probably never see a good remaster of Riding Bean as long as AnimeEigo holds onto that. I know Gunsmith Cats had that limited crowd funded release; but it would be nice if they released a more economical version to retailers. I collect but I'll take one thing over nothing. Internationally, I have to rely on the retailers to get most titles.
Yeah I was part of the kickstarter since I got a notice from the riding bean blu ray campaign. I had extremely low expectations for it and it managed to miss even those.

Last edited:
  • Praise the Sun

Happosai

May 13, 2020
South Central, Mexico
myanimelist.net
My son got my wife and I started watching all the old episodes of Lupin III. This show holds up extremely well for something that's 45 years old.

We also watched Lupin the Third: The First (the CG movie from a few years ago) and I really liked it.
Nice to have you posting again jshackles jshackles . I haven't heard from you since page 1, I believe. Do you know which part of the older Lupin lll you're watching/had watched? The one that became popular in the late-90's / early-2000's was Part 2 (which a select number of episodes had aired on Toonami or Adult Swim...I forget which one). kunonabi kunonabi I know has been up-to-date buying every series back to the first (green jacket Lupin). I haven't seen him around in awhile but we had comments in here from one of the people who had worked on the Lupin lll projects with Discotek. By the way, more of a family part of Lupin would be the movies. There are quite a few and as far as I know...they've never stopped making new Lupin movies.
Yeah I was part of the kickstarter since I got a notice from the riding bean blu ray campaign. I had extremely low expectations for it and it managed to miss even those.
Are the kickstarter releases like that of a limited print number? I imagine these would be exclusive to those supporting the campaign and kept in lower numbers.
Rightstuf order came in yesterday:

Not super retro but a sweet haul nonetheless.
What a haul! What a haul! (I never quote my own AV). I must have been sleeping -- I did not know there was a 4K release of Robot Carnival. That's amazing. Thanks for sharing this and just great material. I eager to know how well "Only You" Urusei Yatsura turned out. On the note of City Hunter -- is that set 2 of the original TV run? Where are they at in terms of getting out the entire series released.

I'm looking forward to see if DIscotek can get their hands on Cat's Eye. I wish we had an insider to slip notes like that into the thread.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Jul 2, 2013
Oregon
Nice to have you posting again jshackles jshackles . I haven't heard from you since page 1, I believe. Do you know which part of the older Lupin lll you're watching/had watched? The one that became popular in the late-90's / early-2000's was Part 2 (which a select number of episodes had aired on Toonami or Adult Swim...I forget which one). kunonabi kunonabi I know has been up-to-date buying every series back to the first (green jacket Lupin). I haven't seen him around in awhile but we had comments in here from one of the people who had worked on the Lupin lll projects with Discotek. By the way, more of a family part of Lupin would be the movies. There are quite a few and as far as I know...they've never stopped making new Lupin movies.
I had heard that the first series was pretty dated, so we started with the second series. My son has the DVD box sets so we started with the first one (it's like 6 DVDs) I think it has 40 episodes on it. We're on episode 18 or so, but we've been watching it every night - really enjoying it. He has a lot of the movies as well - like I mentioned we watched "The First" movie and that's what kinda got us into it. He said there are actually new episodes getting released weekly in Japan.

I've been around and have been watching a bit of anime but just haven't posted here much because most of the stuff we've been watching isn't retro. JoJo Stone Ocean got us to rewatching the whole rest of the series (again) but we're back to the middle of Golden Wind so almost back to the end again. Started Demon Slayer and that's been good.

The only other thing I've been watching that's on the fringe of "retro" would be Ghost Stories - the dub from 2006.

The anime is originally from 2001 and was kinda somewhat serious. The dub (we're watching) is from 2006 and is hilariously bad, but extremely funny.

• Empathy

Happosai

May 13, 2020
South Central, Mexico
myanimelist.net
I had heard that the first series was pretty dated, so we started with the second series. My son has the DVD box sets so we started with the first one (it's like 6 DVDs) I think it has 40 episodes on it. We're on episode 18 or so, but we've been watching it every night - really enjoying it. He has a lot of the movies as well - like I mentioned we watched "The First" movie and that's what kinda got us into it. He said there are actually new episodes getting released weekly in Japan.

I've been around and have been watching a bit of anime but just haven't posted here much because most of the stuff we've been watching isn't retro. JoJo Stone Ocean got us to rewatching the whole rest of the series (again) but we're back to the middle of Golden Wind so almost back to the end again. Started Demon Slayer and that's been good.

The only other thing I've been watching that's on the fringe of "retro" would be Ghost Stories - the dub from 2006.

The anime is originally from 2001 and was kinda somewhat serious. The dub (we're watching) is from 2006 and is hilariously bad, but extremely funny.

First series is fun stuff. I'd keep going. As far as I know -- the Lupin lll TV series is still ongoing. Can't beat the first 3 series though.

Ghost Stories still falls in with the hypothetical cutoff year in the OP of 2001. Anime in style was pretty much still mid-90's for TV series at that time. The big change that started in at that time was more so the switch to digital background and digital inking. Cel shading also became less and less as you get closer to 2004. I'm not sure why a dub was thrown into it in 2006. I do recall that Central Park Media was dubbing many 90's anime titles well past 2001.

jshackles

Jul 2, 2013
Oregon
Ghost Stories still falls in with the hypothetical cutoff year in the OP of 2001. Anime in style was pretty much still mid-90's for TV series at that time. The big change that started in at that time was more so the switch to digital background and digital inking. Cel shading also became less and less as you get closer to 2004. I'm not sure why a dub was thrown into it in 2006. I do recall that Central Park Media was dubbing many 90's anime titles well past 2001.
The video I posted above mentioned that Ghost Stories wasn't exactly well received during it's initial run in Japan, and that the creators were looking for a way to make it appealing to western audiences. They let the voice actors go full ham and ad-lib most of their lines, as long as the show still followed the same general plotlines. It's such an oddity though - a bunch of the stuff would have been super relevant in 2006 but unknown in 2001 like references to the TV show LOST. The Japanese production company signed off on it though, so it's now the official dub. Either way, it's hilarious and (I'm sure) holds up better as a comedy than it would have as a middling spooky anime.

Happosai

May 13, 2020
South Central, Mexico
myanimelist.net
The video I posted above mentioned that Ghost Stories wasn't exactly well received during it's initial run in Japan, and that the creators were looking for a way to make it appealing to western audiences. They let the voice actors go full ham and ad-lib most of their lines, as long as the show still followed the same general plotlines. It's such an oddity though - a bunch of the stuff would have been super relevant in 2006 but unknown in 2001 like references to the TV show LOST. The Japanese production company signed off on it though, so it's now the official dub. Either way, it's hilarious and (I'm sure) holds up better as a comedy than it would have as a middling spooky anime.
Crayon Shin Chan took dub ham to the next level. We're talking about ad libs and throwing a bunch of 2000's American pop cultural and political jargon into it. I recall watching the dub once and there was a character which the English dub team wanted to use as a punching bag for right-wing politicians. It was a kid...and there were references to the George W. Bush administration. It's funny in Japanese but the dub was total crap.

kunonabi

Dec 2, 2010

Are the kickstarter releases like that of a limited print number? I imagine these would be exclusive to those supporting the campaign and kept in lower numbers.

What a haul! What a haul! (I never quote my own AV). I must have been sleeping -- I did not know there was a 4K release of Robot Carnival. That's amazing. Thanks for sharing this and just great material. I eager to know how well "Only You" Urusei Yatsura turned out. On the note of City Hunter -- is that set 2 of the original TV run? Where are they at in terms of getting out the entire series released.

I'm looking forward to see if DIscotek can get their hands on Cat's Eye. I wish we had an insider to slip notes like that into the thread.

There are usually some leftover copies that be purchased from animeigo after the kickstarter ends but I don't how many usually make it and or how long they stick around. Other kickstarters will do a separate general release after the initial campaign completes.

That's the second half of season 2 of the original series which is the most recent release from discotek as far as I know.

OmegaSupreme

basic bitch
Apr 17, 2019
It's not ringing a bell to me as an episode from the original 73' series or the 'New Cutey Honey' OVA. It could have fallen into any of the preceding franchises though: Cutey Honey Flash, RE: Cutey Honey and Cutey Honey Universe. The latter two spin-offs aren't quite retro in my book even though I get 2004 is not recent (When RE: Cutey Honey was released). If you were able to recall the story of the episode itself -- that may help to better identify which part of the franchise it came from.
Now that I think about it more I'm pretty sure it was dirty pair.

Happosai

May 13, 2020
South Central, Mexico
myanimelist.net
Now that I think about it more I'm pretty sure it was dirty pair.
It could be. If you watched dubs and you saw a dubbed version of Dirty Pair, then it's in the OVA. The OVA is the only earlier Dirty Pair animation that had been hit by Westernization. The original TV series Dirty Pair is only in the original Japanese w/ optional subtitles. If you saw an older looking version that was in Japanese, the episode was likely in the TV series. I haven't watched either in years but I know a few here that have and may know which scene or episode you're referring to. If it is indeed Dirty Pair.

Reactions: OmegaSupreme

Happosai

May 13, 2020
South Central, Mexico
myanimelist.net
American fast food references in retro anime Space Runaway Space Runaway . I was talking about this with my wife and the top two we've seen across different anime titles. I'd say McDonald's references are something which are probably popping up in anime until today. In the 80's, I noticed that several anime titles would show certain statue cameos of Colonel Sanders or KFC in general. Not sure which anime it was but I did see in a background city painting (possibly in K.O.R. TV of Carl's Jr.). One that I started seeing pop up moreso in the 90's were references to Denny's. I recall reading a manga which had the restaraunt listed as "Dennis." What are some you've seen and what was the fascination with American franchise fast food in retro anime?