• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro classic The Immortal out now on Xbox, Playstation & Switch

Bullet Club

QUByte Classics – The Immortal by PIKO Out Now​

bwSvwIy.jpg

A classic from the early 90s is brought into the present thanks to QUByte Interactive. The Immortal is re-released as QUByte Classics – The Immortal by PIKO and is available today on Xbox, PlayStation and Nintendo Switch.

The classic isometric action game that makes Dark Souls look like a walk in the park is here today to remind you that they don’t make games like they used to. Originally released for the Apple IIGS it was later ported to Atari, NES and SEGA Megadrive consoles. This version available on Xbox today features both 8-bit and 16-bit versions of the game.

Dive straight into the dungeon on either version and face-off against the creatures that live down there. As an unnamed sorcerer, your story will only begin to unfold as you journey further into The Immortal. Meet new allies, find new items and of course, encounter more dangers in order to survive the labyrinth and all the horrors within.

QUByte Classics – The Immortal by PIKO to give the release its full title is ready to download now on Xbox priced at £6.69. I’m sure fans of the original will be eager to pick this up, but will there be any new fans tempted to give this old-school classic a go? Let us know in the comments if you are playing it for the first time.

Game description

The Labyrinth holds mysteries unfit for mortal eyes. Mysteries of eternal life. Of sudden death. Of sorcery and betrayal. The Immortal is an isometric action-adventure game, with combat scenes and multiple choices when it comes to story. Developed in 1990, this game is a fan favorite of the old times of Nintendo/mega drive. The game consists of the player controlling an unnamed sorcerer, apprentice of Mordamir. The sorcerer faces various deadly creatures and traps in a dungeon, where at each stage he discovers more details about the story of his journey and finding new allies, items and dangers. The player must solve puzzles, avoid deathtraps, use magic spells (in the form of books and scrolls), and acquire various items in order to survive the labyrinth.

Source: The Xbox Hub

I've got this on the Mega Drive. A fun old game.

Naked Lunch

Interesting release.
When you buy an Everdrive flash cart for NES or Genesis - the Immortal comes packed in with it for free for some reason. Obviously roms are usually: find your own, provide your own.

Bigfroth

Lol, me and my buddy rented this back in the day and thought the graphics were jaw-dropping couldn't believe how good it looked. We would play NES in between our D&D sessions lol and yes this game is very hard. good memories lol

Last edited:

Thaedolus

This is something I'm fine watching someone play out of curiosity, but would probably absolutely hate if I tried to go through it myself with no guide or anything.

Darak

I remember playing this game when it was new in MS-DOS. It had a good soundtrack and visuals for the time, and an interesting (if simple) magic/combat system. I remember it being very puzzle-like and quite hard, but at the end of the day it was a short game, and no big success. It's a weird choice for a retro release.

Was looking at this a couple of days back, not played it and I know it's supposed to be good but it;s not very clear about what exactly you get so I'm waiting fora review of this re-release.
Perhaps more interestingly, the same people released this the same day which looks like a brand new version.

Duchess

Was looking at this a couple of days back, not played it and I know it's supposed to be good but it;s not very clear about what exactly you get so I'm waiting fora review of this re-release.
Perhaps more interestingly, the same people released this the same day which looks like a brand new version.

Ha. They've tweaked the Prince Charles Dalek monster to look a lot less like Prince Charles's head on the body of a Dalek.

Last edited:
Just found this, not watched it yet though.

OK, that was probably the worst review that I've ever watched in my life. I've never seen anybody so confused and annoyed about not understanding a game, perhaps strangely, he seems to be wearing a Pro Gamer t-shirt although he doesn't seem to have played any older games .
If nothing else it does at least show that the re-release contains what they call the 8 bit and 16 bit versions of the game.

ManaByte

OK, that was probably the worst review that I've ever watched in my life. I've never seen anybody so confused and annoyed about not understanding a game, perhaps strangely, he seems to be wearing a Pro Gamer t-shirt although he doesn't seem to have played any older games .

You just described most YouTube gaming channels. You're lucky to find someone familiar with games before the PS2 era. Most people on YouTube consider the PS2 retro.

Top Bottom