• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro games that would still be GOTY contenders even today (without a "was revolutionary for its time" caveat)I be

Zelda Link's Awakening
Super Mario Land 2
Wario Land
Super Metroid
Earthbound
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy IX
Zelda Ocarina of Time
Zelda Majora Mask
Chrono Cross
Persona 3
Persona 4
Metroid Prime
Zelda: Wind Waker
Pikmin 2
Resident Evil 4
Mario Galaxy
Mother 3
Radiant Historia

All timelesss.

MacReady13

Ok, so, tell us
Super Mario World. Yoshi's Island. Super Metroid. Zelda. All these games, if made today with that "retro" look, would kill anything released today. They are all timers for a reason.

And I disagree with the OP- I still think Mario 64 holds up well today. Not perfect, but that level design is 2nd to none.

None on Neogaf that's for sure. If you ain't got AAA production values you don't stand a chance here.

For my money Yoshi's Island has aged the best. Ocarina, Baldur's Gate, Planescape, would also do well I reckon.

Banned
there are almost none. mainly because game reviewers are dogshit and it is after all based on what they think earns a GOTY that is the deciding factor here.

Resident Evil 4 for example would not even be close to a GOTY contender these days because critics would say some shit like "you cant even move while shooting" or "the camera controls are clunky and the tank controls are outdated", not even considering the gamedesign behind all that.

then there's the problem with difficulty, I bet most modern critics wouldn't even be able to finish games like Maximo... hell even the original release of Devil May Cry 3 would most likely be way too challenging for most critics and that is after they would unlock easy mode too... you would read about how "unfair" it is or how it lacks "accessibility features", shit like that

Last edited:

Justin9mm

Shut It Down 30 Rock GIF

one and done
Not gonna lie, I started Tetris Effect on my Series X for the first time last night and I forgot how fun and addictive Tetris is. Such a simple concept that stands the test of time.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
1:1 can't think of any. Not even something like Age of Empires 2 as it had 1280x1024 max resolution (officially).

Last edited:

Hoddi

I'll name Chrono Trigger. I didn't play it until 2020 and it was my own favorite that year.

I had also never played Super Metroid and still found it (mostly) fantastic even by modern standards.

93xfan

Banned
I believe Mario 64 is the most revolutionary game of the 3D era, but would fully admit it doesn't hold a candle to today's games.

What games would still be GOTY contenders without you having to say things like "for it's time" or "if you consider this or that..." or "for the limited hardware".

What games just straight up transcend time?

I think a lot of first party SNES games make the list. What about you?
What games do you feel have surpassed Mario 64? I don’t feel many platforms have, if any. Sure, the camera and visuals have improved, but the mechanics, sense of discovery, and fun factors are top tier.

93xfan

Banned
Super Mario Bros 3
Illusion of Gaia
Contra (NES)
Halo CE
Halo 3 (does this count as retro)?
Zelda: aLttP, OoT, Majora’s Mask
Metal Gear Solid 1 and 3
Final Fantasy 7

I think super mario galaxy? If that counts as retro. I honestly don’t see any of the other examples doing well today without some serious overhauls

Chrono Trigger, Castlevania Symphony of the Night, Sonic 3 & Knuckles and Super Mario World. I think that's it.
CT is the only one of those I agree with. SotN is great but it's no Rondo of Blood (or even Aria), and you missed Mario 3 (and "no saves!" doesn't count).

93xfan

Banned
Socom 2- the Fortnite killer.

kids would be asking what a Battle Royale is in 5 years. You all know it’s true!

I don't even remember GOTY really being a thing growing up. Maybe it existed in the magazines? But nobody around me cared. I was pretty confused in the mid 00s when some dude responded to me not liking a game with "Yeah but it won Game of the Year" as if that was going to convince me I was wrong. And my obvious question of ,"uhh, who assigns 'game of the year'" didn't really get a real answer.

As it turns out GOTY was just assigned by whoever the fuck felt like declaring something GOTY.

At least nowadays Pope Keighley has some kind of official looking process and show. Still kind of meaningless to me though.

Also, Wing Commander Privateer. Hell plug in a Thrustmaster stick and you got a far better gaming experience than 98% of today's gamers have ever had :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

DukeNukem00

Banned
I don't even remember GOTY really being a thing growing up. Maybe it existed in the magazines? But nobody around me cared. I was pretty confused in the mid 00s when some dude responded to me not liking a game with "Yeah but it won Game of the Year" as if that was going to convince me I was wrong. And my obvious question of ,"uhh, who assigns 'game of the year'" didn't really get a real answer.

As it turns out GOTY was just assigned by whoever the fuck felt like declaring something GOTY.

At least nowadays Pope Keighley has some kind of official looking process and show. Still kind of meaningless to me though.

Also, Wing Commander Privateer. Hell plug in a Thrustmaster stick and you got a far better gaming experience than 98% of today's gamers have ever had :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Of course it was. Both on websites and in magazines. In magazines you would have staff choices and readers choices. It was all fun, you would just talk about what game you thought was outstanding that year. Gotta give props to Gamespot here, Diablo in 1996 with Quake as runner up. Total Annihilation as goty in 1997 just commands a refined taste and insight into the medium, because that game absolutely deserves it. First 3d real time strategy game with a scope so vast compared to its competition that it felt from the future. Runner ups Dark Forces 2 and Fallout ? This is how goty games look like

Eww GameSpot 🤮... it's like the GamePro of the internet era. What next? That magazine that GameStop owned and published?

Actually those GameSpot choices don't seem terrible. Though I mean obviously Fallout should've won.

I just always remember GameSpot being an even stupider IGN, back when IGN was readable.

DukeNukem00

Banned
Eww GameSpot 🤮... it's like the GamePro of the internet era. What next? That magazine that GameStop owned and published?

Actually those GameSpot choices don't seem terrible. Though I mean obviously Fallout should've won.

I just always remember GameSpot being an even stupider IGN, back when IGN was readable.

I mean, saying those choices are not terrible seems like a misread of the situation. Quake, Diablo, Total Annihilation, Fallout - these are industry changing games lol. Games that shaped the industry and highly responsible for the world we live in today. I would say the choices are not terrible :) Gamespot and all the rest are shit now, but they werent then.

I can tell you now it'll be nowhere near GOTY discussions this year.
No remaster will ever be.

And it is a incredibly bad remaster. It makes my blood boil tbh.

I never cared about GOTY bullshit. Elden Ring will be the atypical title to get it because it's usually required to be in fashion and accessible to pseudo-gamers . My list is just a list of titles that were really good in their respective generations and are great no matter what because they nailed so much, most of them weren't considered GOTY even back then. I remember Chibi Robo on Gamecube being my GOTY the year it came out, I doubt it was GOTY for most people because in reality nobody played it. Prey 2017 was also my GOTY for 2017 and so on.

Last edited:

tassletine

Realistically nothing could compare to the scope of something like Elden Ring, it just wouldn't have even been possible technically.

There are a lot of older games that are still fantastic games though and would absolutely compare to and surpass indie or low A tier games these days no problem. I've been playing a lot of old stuff lately and much of it still holds up, though I've definitely played a few that have aged poorly.
Elden Ring isn't the best example though as it feels distinctly last gen anyway, but it depends on what you call scope (and Retro) frankly.
I'd say The Witcher 3 matches ER in scope, graphically and definitely lore wise, whereas Elite (BBC micro) is a huge game by anyone's measure.

Gameplay wise -- Sin and Punishment 2 is still superb, Tetris, Pac Man, Yoshi's island?

None of those would win GOTY though. Those tend to be lavish, have huge marketing budgets and rarely push boundaries.

Last edited:

Otre

Banned
All these "none" responses stink of zoomer close mindedness or the douchebag that cant play a game because it looks like it was made before the 2000's but then gladly play their consoles at 30fps.

Ev1L AuRoN

This is a list of games I find superior to every game I played in the last three years, so yes, I do think good games are always be good, not matter the time.

Super Mario World
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Final Fantasy III/VI
Chrono Trigger
Super Metroid
Castlevania SotN
Half Life 2
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Donkey Kong Country 2
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

Ogbert

With a few tweaks, Half Life 2.

And I mean that sincerely. Still the best story of any fps. The gravity gun and physics still feel modern. Ravenholm is, in my opinion, one of the greatest set pieces in video game history.

It would need some modern touches, but the game is 100% timeless.

Last edited:

Rykan

All these "none" responses stink of zoomer close mindedness or the douchebag that cant play a game because it looks like it was made before the 2000's but then gladly play their consoles at 30fps.
Your attempt at trying to portrait people who have a different opinion than you as "closed minded" or "douchebags" is idiotic to say the least.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Literally nothing.

People are blinded by nostalgia.

Currently playing back through a bunch of PS2 games and not only do they look quite bad, but the controls are almost uniformly terrible. Even games that I used to think controlled really well, some are near unplayable.

Just an example, Black looks like a PSP game and is barely controllable.
PS1-PS2 era can be a little rough, we hadn't fully worked out how games should control in 3D, especially Japanese devs who were slow to embrace the now standard dual analog movement.

I think there are old games that are masterpieces better than anything coming out now, but I am inclined to agree with you that few if any would be taken seriously as game of the year candidates just because we don't really do that for smaller scale games, which retro games kind of are by their very nature.

No one is releasing a game as perfect as Another World or Yoshi's Island this year, but that doesn't mean those games would win GOTY now because they're 2D games you can beat in a few hours.

Kssio_Aug

I don't know if they would be GOTY contenders, giving that a lot of other games after that have copied them and improved upon them in some aspects. But some games that still holds up amazingly well imo, and are totally worth playing:

- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
- Halo: Combat Evolved
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and 3
- Super Mario World
- Streets of Rage 2 and Bare Knuckles 3

cireza

Banned
Literally nothing.

People are blinded by nostalgia.

Currently playing back through a bunch of PS2 games and not only do they look quite bad, but the controls are almost uniformly terrible. Even games that I used to think controlled really well, some are near unplayable.

Just an example, Black looks like a PSP game and is barely controllable.
The past is not summarized by "PS2". There are a lot of games that have aged superbly and are perfectly playable and enjoyable today.

Still doesn't make them candidates for modern GOTY though, as they probably don't meet the criteria of modern GOTYs, since so many things have changed in what people want in their games.

Last edited:

DukeNukem00

Banned
The past is not summarized by "PS2". There are a lot of games that have aged superbly and are perfectly playable and enjoyable today.

Still doesn't make them candidates for modern GOTY though, as they probably don't meet the criteria of modern GOTYs, since so many things have changed in what people want in their games.

Exactly. But since the forum is so console heavy, the entire gaming medium revolves around whatever console the person posting used. You leave consoles behind and go PC, and you have the same control scheme and gamedesign today's games use. You fire Max Payne, a 21 year old game and you play it exactly as you would a 3rd person action today. Only Max Payne is better. Consoles aged worse because they had to learn from scratch how to design games with each console generation. Because one gen had a dpad with 2 buttons, the next had four buttons. The next had a single stick. The next had two sticks. While PC more or less nailed its controls in the mid 90s. We always had the same mouse and keyboard and games were built around that since forever. You play Command&Conquer from 1995 exactly the same way you do Age of Empires 4 today.

cireza

Banned
Exactly. But since the forum is so console heavy, the entire gaming medium revolves around whatever console the person posting used. You leave consoles behind and go PC, and you have the same control scheme and gamedesign today's games use. You fire Max Payne, a 21 year old game and you play it exactly as you would a 3rd person action today. Only Max Payne is better. Consoles aged worse because they had to learn from scratch how to design games with each console generation. Because one gen had a dpad with 2 buttons, the next had four buttons. The next had a single stick. The next had two sticks. While PC more or less nailed its controls in the mid 90s. We always had the same mouse and keyboard and games were built around that since forever. You play Command&Conquer from 1995 exactly the same way you do Age of Empires 4 today.
If find that this applies to consoles as well, honestly. 2D control scheme has been the same since the NES days : d-pad and face buttons.
Then you have the move to 3D with dual-joysticks + triggers.

2D games nowadays are not more playable than back then, they play exactly the same.

That's why I find that many old games are still perfectly playable today, exactly like you with mouse + KB.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Strategy games designed well tend to be timeless. For example, if Final Fantasy Tactics came out today with nothing different aside from inevitable improvements like faster load times and higher resolutions, it could totally be a GOTY contender.

Well I've got hundreds of PS2 games so I've played them all more or less. By all means name one you think holds up visually today and I'll try and pull some shots directly from it.

Just as an example Devil May Cry 3 neither looks as good as people remember, or controls as good.

We get games like Cyber Shadow that, if they had released back in 1989, would be considered one of the best games of all time. But today they're just an average indie game. If Super Mario World released today under a different name it would be lucky to even have a thread on here.
Visually, sure, but gameplay wise anything after the PS1 feels mostly the same as games today atleast from my experienced. I never played many PS2 games, but what I mean is that many SNES, Genesis and GBA games still hold up very well and those are considered retro.

And so? Stuff like Cuphead, Shovel Knight or Freedom Planet were widely praised. And many indie games and retro revivals of that style like Sonic Mania, the Crash & Spyro remakes, Megaman 11 or stuff like the upcoming TMNT and Pocky & Rocky games do aswell.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Resident Evil 2
Super Mario Bros 3
Super Mario World
Final Fantasy 6
Super Mario RPG
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Resident Evil (OG 1996 with no auto-aim and original OST)
Super Castlevania IV
Goldeneye 007
Realms of the Haunting

I love all of those games, I really do. But... Streets of Rage can't possibly be a GotY contender today. The problem is that the beat em up genre is way too narrow; the gameplay loop gets repetitive very quickly.

And, again, this is coming from someone who's a big fan of beat em ups!!
Some people don't know how to make beat'em ups. They really feel repetitive, but a good one has sense of danger, stage changes every 30 seconds (max), weapons, solid gameplay, lots of moves, enemies variety, big encounters...

Think in one game that isn't repetitive in gameplay ? Missions, point A to B is just excuse to use the same mechanic over and over again.

Repetitiveness are everywhere. In every game. Every genre and sub-genre. It's up to the creators be creative and captivate your attention.

Last edited:
Top Bottom