• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro FPS Renaissance

Your favourite throwback shooter so far?

• Ion Fury

Votes: 86 38.4%
  • Amid Evil

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Dusk

Votes: 58 25.9%
  • Wrath: Aeon of Ruin

Votes: 10 4.5%
  • Prodeus

Votes: 52 23.2%

• Total voters
I dunno man. I liked the game in 1999 because it was multiplayer and the weapons looked leagues better than those in Turok 3, but I honestly can’t see it working today. It’s too slow and cumbersome.
It probably would have been better to include it with the Turok 3 release to be more palatable, but I still think there is value in porting the game to modern platforms and PC, even if there isn't online multiplayer. I want to experience it, and I bet it would be faster to play with modern controls.

Apocryphon

It probably would have been better to include it with the Turok 3 release to be more palatable, but I still think there is value in porting the game to modern platforms and PC, even if there isn't online multiplayer. I want to experience it, and I bet it would be faster to play with modern controls.
Including it with Turok 3 could have worked. That’s basically what I want them to do with Unreal Gold and UT99.

They’d probably have to remake some of the Rage Wars maps though. Make them bigger. My brother and I played the thing to death. I’d be in for the nostalgia

Anybody got any additional recommendations for single-player FPS games (either new or old) based on my likes?

Love
Amid Evil
Bioshock (It’s more shooter than ImmSim)
Bioshock Infinite
Blood
Cultic
Doom II (WADs)
Doom Eternal
Dusk
Quake: Arcane Dimensions
Turbo Overkill
Ultrakill
Unreal

Bioshock 2
Doom 64
Doom (2016)
Duke Nukem 3D
F.E.A.R.
Half-life
HROT
Ion Fury
Prey (OG)
Quake 1 & 2
Rise of the Triad (OG)
Titanfall 2

It’s Fine
Doom 3
Half-life 2
Halo Series
Painkiller
Project Warlock
Serious Sam 1 & 2
Shadow Warrior (OG)

Man, just a quick PSA if this is even the thread.

I've played through Ion Fury on PC with a controller three times now. Works beautifully through Steam, controls feel great, custom button mapping and all.

I love the game so I grabbed it on PS5 as well when I saw it on sale for $4.99.

In short, this port sucks imo. First of all, the game looks weird. There's something off with the brightness. The only option is to turn down Gamma and it doesn't help.

The real issue are the controls. Only two preset options and no way to adjust the shitty default aim accel. The main issue is that there is no way to remap the weapon toggle. On PC, I mapped weapon down to L1 and weapon up to R1 which works really well for me. On console it's mapped to up and down on the d-pad. The game requires constant weapon switching, and quickly.

I just wanted to get it for the convenience and to support a great game but was unpleasantly surprised.

VN1X

Banned
Anybody got any additional recommendations for single-player FPS games (either new or old) based on my likes?

Love
Amid Evil
Bioshock Infinite
Blood
Cultic
Doom II (WADs)
Doom Eternal
Dusk
Turbo Overkill
Ultrakill
Unreal

Bioshock 2
Doom 64
Doom (2016)
Duke Nukem 3D
F.E.A.R.
Half-life
HROT
Ion Fury
Prey (OG)
Quake 1 & 2
Rise of the Triad (OG)
Titanfall 2

It’s Fine
Doom 3
Half-life 2
Halo Series
Painkiller
Project Warlock
Serious Sam 1 & 2
Shadow Warrior (OG)
Boltgun & Quake 2 Call of the Machine.

Apocryphon

Love
Amid Evil
Bioshock Infinite
Blood
Cultic
Doom II (WADs)
Doom Eternal
Dusk
Turbo Overkill
Ultrakill
Unreal

Bioshock 2
Doom 64
Doom (2016)
Duke Nukem 3D
F.E.A.R.
Half-life
HROT
Ion Fury
Prey (OG)
Quake 1 & 2
Rise of the Triad (OG)
Titanfall 2

It’s Fine
Doom 3
Half-life 2
Halo Series
Painkiller
Project Warlock
Serious Sam 1 & 2
Shadow Warrior (OG)
Prodeus, System Shock remake, Trepang2, Void Bastards, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Wolfenstein: The New Order, Wolfenstein: The Old Blood, Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bat, and the Machine Games expansions for the original Quake.

Eiknarf

Banned
I cant wait till we are passed the boomer shooter phase and get to half-life and FEAR clones (like we did with Trepang). The forced pixelation is so tired at this point. Boomer shooters have run their course.

What I want is stuff like Robocop: Rogue City, Trepang, Atomic Heart, Stalker 2.
Wait
What are some examples of “boomer shooters”?

Drizzlehell

Banned

Just finished playing the demo. Looks really promising! Great fun, and another case of a polygonal boomer shooter that seems to take a lot of inspiration from Duke 3D in its visual design and overall theme (urban setting, alien monsters, interactive and destructible environments, wisecracking protag, etc.)

I really dig that urban theme of late-90s FPS games such as Kingpin, Sin, Blood 2, or Shogo so I'm really looking forward to this.

Last edited:

mansoor1980

Gold Member
no gamepad support...................
200w.gif

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Sadly I lost my interest in these games. I've experienced a lot of half-baked early access games, and my hype has faded. I will play Amid Evil and Turbo Overkill someday though.

Montauk

Still waiting to play Dusk on my Series X. I have it on PC but I really, really want to play it on a big TV in 4K.

Been a long, long time and still no Xbox release date.

Man, just a quick PSA if this is even the thread.

I've played through Ion Fury on PC with a controller three times now. Works beautifully through Steam, controls feel great, custom button mapping and all.

I love the game so I grabbed it on PS5 as well when I saw it on sale for $4.99.

In short, this port sucks imo. First of all, the game looks weird. There's something off with the brightness. The only option is to turn down Gamma and it doesn't help.

The real issue are the controls. Only two preset options and no way to adjust the shitty default aim accel. The main issue is that there is no way to remap the weapon toggle. On PC, I mapped weapon down to L1 and weapon up to R1 which works really well for me. On console it's mapped to up and down on the d-pad. The game requires constant weapon switching, and quickly.

I just wanted to get it for the convenience and to support a great game but was unpleasantly surprised.

I got it on Xbox and was super disappointed with it there too for the same reasons you mentioned.

How fucking hard is it to nail proper controller aiming? If youre going to charge consoles the same as PC, at lesst have the decency of putting out an fps without control issues! Game was $25

I got it on Xbox and was super disappointed with it there too for the same reasons you mentioned.

How fucking hard is it to nail proper controller aiming? If youre going to charge consoles the same as PC, at lesst have the decency of putting out an fps without control issues! Game was $25
Yea I let a couple friends know to save them money. The port is hot garbage. I get it, PC masterrace console sux lol but I dont get putting out an inferior version with seemingly zero effort put into it if you're gonna do it at all.

I never touched it again and would seriously pissed if I had paid full price for that.

I did not care for System Shock. The levels are mazes that make no architectural sense. I understand it was the best they could do in 1994. How fast videogames evolved: in just a few years we got Black Mesa!

Guilty_AI

Just beat Turbo Overkill and this has to be one of the best action games i've ever played. From level design, enemy design, style, visuals, everything is polished into perfection. Whatever issue i've had is minor and doesn't affect the game as a whole. It's also the kind of game that gets better the further you progress, which is rare in this genre.

Some bangers in the OST too:

I'd say it surpassed AC6 as my best action game from 2023

Last edited:
Top Bottom