• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retroarch on Series X and S |OT| Too many games

Fredrik

What core for ps1 you using?
I’m not entirely sure what I used this time, might’ve been Duckstation.

Reflections is owned by Ubisoft now and does mostly work on Watch Dogs lately. they are usually supporting other developers with big AAA games.

and they did "Grow Home" and "Grow Up"

Driver San Francisco was pretty great and somewhat overlooked. it was their last really big solo project.

60fps, classic driver style missions with a twist and no on the foot nonsense.

it also has a really cool easteregg, if you drive a Delorean and go 88MPH you will go back to the past and have to replay the tutorial mission of Driver 1 lol
Cool that they’re still around though! Didn’t know that. They used to be the Naughty Dog of the Amiga era. They were awesome on PS1 as well, without Reflections I don’t think PS1 would’ve done as well. Wipeout and Destruction Derby was really on point for how the console was marketed.
Ubisoft needs to let these guys do something original with a big budget!

Brutal to get sent back to that tutorial haha, I probably spent 20 minutes trying to beat all those challenges.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
I don't hate it but I'd buy Spiderman last out of those games. We are spoilt for quality open world games and the fact that I'm not a Spiderman fan in general may contribute.

Fredrik

ive got a 1.98gb update for this app but it wont update....is that the end of the app for me? lol
Are they pulling it from devices now? I have auto update on but it’s the jan 7th build and I can still remote play some sweet Super Metroid in bed.

AmnJbFR.jpg

New dash background 👌
oH8mzmp.jpg

Last edited:

REDRZA MWS

Year and a half ago I built a beefy PC. Hardly ever use use and have never messed with emulating old consoles/games. Doing this on my series x, using the ps2 emulator, can I play Socom 2 online?

Well guys after randomly trying tomb raider again the one with loads of bin files, I loaded up the single cue file and it worked!!!!! Is there anyway of bumping the resolution

Last edited:

Banned
I'm currently building my library... full GB,GBC,SNES,MD etc. sets run perfectly so far. but my CPS1 and CPS2 sets give me issues.
I tried setting these up to use the Final Burn Alpha 2012 cores for CPS1 and CPS2, but many of the roms simply do not run. for MegaMan I had to switch to MAME 2010 (I think?) but others don't start no matter the core. I have an extensive BIOS library, so that shouldn't be an issue (maybe the naming of some.. but CPS systems should mostly use only 1 bios each right?)

so my questions,
A: is there a compatibility list anywhere?
B: do I need a different rom set that works better? (I know arcade emulation can be a bitch... getting a somewhat working MAME set going for example is a nightmare, even on PC... so maybe I need different roms?)

but I finally did the work and set up everything in the XMB layout, with many playlists of full rom sets (basically all older home systems up to SNES) and for bigger games only the highlights. got most of them to have screenshots (yay...) and classic consoles make no issues for the most part. N64 is a bitch, as always... PS1 works ok (anything above 2x resolution slows down in beetle PSX HW tho) and PS2 still not amazing but amazing that it works at all :)

edit: ALSO wtf is going on with Amiga? I can't get a single Amiga game to run.

I tried multiple kickstart roms, all of which were correctly named.
but every time I boot up a game it says the kickstart rom wasn't found.

I tried every Amiga model and none of the kick roms work -_-

on PC, same core, no issue... wtf?

does anyone have working kickstart roms for Xbox?

Last edited:

Fredrik

edit: ALSO wtf is going on with Amiga? I can't get a single Amiga game to run.

I tried multiple kickstart roms, all of which were correctly named.
but every time I boot up a game it says the kickstart rom wasn't found.

I tried every Amiga model and none of the kick roms work -_-

on PC, same core, no issue... wtf?

does anyone have working kickstart roms for Xbox?
Do you have the kickstart file in the systems folder?
I’ve got everything to run, even my own janky game from my teenage years 🤓
kMYgvNN.jpg

nkarafo

Everyone is using the PS2 libretro core in this console and i'm sitting here waiting for the PC version to be released since 3.000 years ago.

I don't remember the last time the most common emulation platform (the PC) being so far left behind compared to such a niche solution.

Banned
Do you have the kickstart file in the systems folder?
I’ve got everything to run, even my own janky game from my teenage years 🤓
kMYgvNN.jpg

yeah the issue seemed to have been that I use a folder on my USB stick as a bios folder (you can change the System/Bios folder in the settings)
PS1, PS2 and other systems seem to work fine that way, but I tried placing the kickstart roms in the default folder and setting the bios folder back to the default, and now the kickstart roms are detected.

so to everyone who want's to use a folder on external drives as their bios folder, BE AWARE that some systems might have issues that way.
I named that folder ##BIOS## so it's easy to spot and clearly labled, what I will try next is if the issues are solved if I name the bios folder "System" just like the default one is named... maybe that will fix that issue, I'll report back

another issue that i'm having now tho is that WHDLoad format games throw me into a screen where I can look through the folders of the rom... and not actually starting the game.
is there a core setting that I need to change or do I just need to use normal disk games that aren't formatted to that?

Last edited:

Banned
so I finally got Amiga multi disk games working correctly.

.m3u files is the way to go on Xbox. on PC I had zero issue loading up WHDLoad files on the same core and the same bios files, but the Series X seems to not cooperate with those... oh well.

Lionheart runs perfectly now, although I had to manually switch the model to A500+ 1MB otherwise it would either not load at all or have significant graphics glitches (basically unplayable)

so my tip, use .m3u formatted games (or format them yourself, although tutorials on that are terrible online and I basically had to figure half of it out myself)
and set the model to Amiga 500+ with 1MB memory.

upping the disk drive speed also doesn't hurt lol

Banned
Lol yeah and I love how you can still hear the sound, makes the speed boost so satisfying!

yeah, I just love that they actually did that in the first place. very nostalgic and honestly nice to have so you know something is happening and it hasn't crashed on anything lol

ThisIsPrfct

Neo Member
Is there any where to follow updates on the Xbox Series X state of retro arch? Like a specific page that gets updated while filtering the other platforms, etc? And is it being updated regularly? I just tried some sega and snes games which work really well but was really interested in emulating wii games and some ps2 games to play with my guitar controller (like guitar hero van halen) but I found out I have to copy big files to the internal and that it looks like the guitar controller is not recognized by retroarch... so I would like to have a page to check and see if this is "fixed" down the line.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Is there any where to follow updates on the Xbox Series X state of retro arch? Like a specific page that gets updated while filtering the other platforms, etc? And is it being updated regularly? I just tried some sega and snes games which work really well but was really interested in emulating wii games and some ps2 games to play with my guitar controller (like guitar hero van halen) but I found out I have to copy big files to the internal and that it looks like the guitar controller is not recognized by retroarch... so I would like to have a page to check and see if this is "fixed" down the line.
https://www.retroarch.com/ Scroll down and there is a news there.

Banned
has anyone here tried running DS games on Xbox One or One X? I will soon set it up for a friend on his Xbox, and I don't know if the games run at anything close to an acceptable speed on Xbox One systems. on Series X it runs fine for the most part. I might need to test it on my One X... but I would have to set it all up again first

edit: oh I already had it installed on it, so I tried. Contra 4 runs full speed during my test in the first level... my One X doesn't like Retroarch tho it seems, it literally corrupts after every other launch... wtf? had to reinstall twice just now (retail)
so DS run on One X, at least 2D games like Contra 4... I can't be arsed to try other games atm since my One X is acting up real hard with Retroarch -_- but I'll try on my friends system when I set it up. I hope his One X doesn't shit its bed running it lol...

another friends Base Xbox One didn't have any of these issues when I set it up for him.

oh BTW. you can download retroarch on other Xboxes if your account is whitelisted. you download it and launch it once with your whitelisted account. then after that the whole system can use it even if it's notset up as your Home System. so if a friend of yours wants retroarch on retail, you can install it for them using your account. settings and playlists etc. as well as Bios files are tied to individual accounts tho so the setup has to be done with the account of the person that wants to use it.

Last edited:

Banned
YOU CAN >>ALMOST<< USE YOUR XBOX AS AN HD DOCK FOR YOUR PSP

so, I just took my PSPgo, connected it through USB to my Series X, opened up PPSSPP (the standalone version, the Retroarch version sucks frankly)
...and I could super easily start playing the games that are installed on my PSP!

the PSP gets detected like any other USB device and games load fast and have no issues from what I tested.

HERE IS THE >>ALMOST<< THAT I MENTIONED

the issue here, you can not change the folder location of PPSSPP's files.
PPSSPP emulates the exact folder structure of a real PSP, it has the same folders including the SAVESTATES folder.

like I said you can not change the location of these. if you could, you could quite literally use your PSP on your Xbox and the Xbox would act exactly like a docking station for your PSP where you can just continue playing your games as normal.
it's not possible currently because save states will not by synced up. the ability to change the STAVESTATE folder location would solve this

what you can do, which is super convoluted and annoying, is copy over the files from your PSP to your Xbox, and then back again when you're done playing (manually syncing them up basically)... you can do that using an FTP client app on your phone (for Android "FtpCafe" worked for me) and the Durango FTP app on your Xbox... but it is of course annoying to do each time and not only because of the copying itself but also because save state folders on the PSP (and in PPSSPP for that matter) are not simply named after the game, but instead have their serial number as their name...

if this gets ever patched in, it would be absolutely fantastic.
save states work on both, as I actually transferred my save state of R&C Size Matters through FTP over to my Xbox and it worked

Last edited:

IX_G4ME_OVER_XI

Neo Member
Hi Everyone,

Quick question, but i cant save state my ps2 game son retroarch on my series x. Is this due to not being available at the current time?

Banned
YOU CAN >>ALMOST<< USE YOUR XBOX AS AN HD DOCK FOR YOUR PSP

so, I just took my PSPgo, connected it through USB to my Series X, opened up PPSSPP (the standalone version, the Retroarch version sucks frankly)
...and I could super easily start playing the games that are installed on my PSP!

the PSP gets detected like any other USB device and games load fast and have no issues from what I tested.

HERE IS THE >>ALMOST<< THAT I MENTIONED

the issue here, you can not change the folder location of PPSSPP's files.
PPSSPP emulates the exact folder structure of a real PSP, it has the same folders including the SAVESTATES folder.

like I said you can not change the location of these. if you could, you could quite literally use your PSP on your Xbox and the Xbox would act exactly like a docking station for your PSP where you can just continue playing your games as normal.
it's not possible currently because save states will not by synced up. the ability to change the STAVESTATE folder location would solve this

what you can do, which is super convoluted and annoying, is copy over the files from your PSP to your Xbox, and then back again when you're done playing (manually syncing them up basically)... you can do that using an FTP client app on your phone (for Android "FtpCafe" worked for me) and the Durango FTP app on your Xbox... but it is of course annoying to do each time and not only because of the copying itself but also because save state folders on the PSP (and in PPSSPP for that matter) are not simply named after the game, but instead have their serial number as their name...

if this gets ever patched in, it would be absolutely fantastic.
save states work on both, as I actually transferred my save state of R&C Size Matters through FTP over to my Xbox and it worked

this works on PC btw. I just set it up. so if you have a somewhat decent PC or even laptop, and you want to use it as a docking station for your PSP and have all save files synced + you can load games directly from your PSP's storage,

here is how you do it:

First download PPSSPP from the official site <HERE
I recommend you downloading the Windows Zip, not the Installer, as it is easier to set up that way since you will know exactly where your folders are!

Secondly, unzip it to a folder. preferably named PPSSPP or something similar (just so you recognize it later)

After you've done that. launch the Emulator at least once, to make sure it creates all the necessary subfolders for the first time. (not sure that's necessary but that's always a save bet for Emulators)

Your PPSSPP folder will look like this:
tutorial16lk4m.png

except, that you'll miss the file called "installed.txt" that is marked with the red arrow, this is the file we need to create now! so right click inside your folder click "New" and then "Text Document" and name it "installed.txt"

Now connect your PSP via USB to your PC and put it into USB Mode. Your PSP will now appear in your "This PC" folder with a randomly designated volume letter. for me it is (H: )

Open the the text document we just created (make sure it is spelled exactly correct) and simply enter the path/volume number for your PSP's root folder. This is at least how it works on my PSPgo... it was a while since I had a PSP2000 or 3000 last hooked up to a PC. Should it not be the root folder (it should be tho I'm pretty sure), just look for the folder that has a sub folder in it called "PSP", which in itself should have the folder named "SAVEDATA" in it.

Like I said, my PSPgo has this "PSP" folder in it's root folder and my PSPgo has the Volume letter (H: ) assigned to is, so for me the path I enter into my Text file is simply "H:\" like this:
tutorial2ydkyp.png

So put in your path, and Save the file

From this point on PPSSPP will see and use your native PSP's "SAVEDATA" folder as its default path to Save and Load PSP save files.
MAKE SURE TO ALWAYS HAVE YOUR PSP CONNECTED AND SET TO USB MODE FROM NOW ON WHENEVER YOU WANT TO PLAY, BEFORE STARTING THE EMULATOR (that is when it will check if the path works)

Also make sure that should you have a new Volume connected to your PC, that takes up the Volume Letter that your PSP normally occupies when connected, to change the path inside the "installed.txt" file accordingly so that your save files will always Sync up correctly.

If your PSP is not connected or it gets designated a new Volume letter PPSSPP will not be able to find the path and will instead save and load states from its default folder, or the new volume that took up its volume letter instead! the default folder is the "memstick" folder inside your PPSSPP folder. (you can see it in the first image above)
should you forget to do this and want to sync up a savestate you made on PC with your PSP, just go into that "memstick" folder (or the PSP folder created on the volume that occupies the volume letter set up for your PSP) and copy the contents of the "SAVEDATA" folder in there into the "SAVEDATA" folder on your PSP.

ADDITIONAL THINGS YOU CAN DO:

If you have games installed on your PSPgo's internal storage or your PSPgo, PSP1000, 2000, 3000 or E1000's memory stick, you will have a folder named ISO on it. If that is the case, you do not even need to have the games you want to play located on your PC's drive! You can simply load PSP games directly from there. NOTE that this could lead to some loading stutters for some games as the USB speed of the PSP is not quite up to modern standards!
to negate stutters you can enable this option here:
tutorial3m3kpm.png

this might slow down the initial load (it shouldn't by much) because it will load the entire game into your System RAM, but that ensures less stutters and faster loading in-game

also to keep your PSP battery from dying, you can enable the "USB Charge" option so it actually charges while connected through USB

so yeah. if you do this, you will basically set to play your PSP on the go or in bed... or wherever you want. come to your PC, dock it and continue playing on a big Screen and higher resolution + performance (depending on your emulation settings of course), and after you're done just unplug your PSP (savely of course, YES CLICKING EJECT IF YOU WANT TO UNPLUG YOUR USB DEVICE ACTUALLY DOES SOMETHING! always do this if you don't want any corrupt data! just to be sure!, that's true for all USB storage devices!

As you see, on PC this is a non issue. Maybe this can also work similarily on Xbox? but the file structure is completely different in many ways on the UWP version. so maybe you can put such an "installed.txt" file somewhere in that version and make it work like this? Someone with a bit more knowledge in this department should look into that lol... I'm not familiar enough with the Xbox's file structure to do this... the thing has like 10 volumes and each has different apps or app files in it with weird empty sub folders or massive lists of subfolders... all I know is how to somewhat navigate the default path where retroarch and PPSSPP are located (or at least the important files for them)

Last edited:

Calverz

Wow just got this working in my series s. Unreal. Just been playing some saturn powerslave where i customised controls to make it twin stick.
Plan to get ps2 working soon. Is it possible to get xenia working on it? Really want goldeneye xbla to play on it

Hiya all, any help i have not used retroa rch in a while and my app has gone blank and doesn't load anymore, any ideas? Retail version, I guess it's no more.

Tschumi

I need help or I'm gonna give up guys.

I've followed the steps for setting up PS2 emulation religiously. Some things are a bit weird - for some reason on my xBox everything's going in, like, D drive rather than the S drive most videos keep mentioning...

but anyway, I've set pcxs2 or whatever it's called, the right version, i've put a set of PS2 bios (EU) into the right part of the right folder and put it on my xbox

i've got it as far as recognizing PS2 games and putting them in a playlist, but none of them work - the ones that do boot at all go to the memory card/PS2 disc dialogue but don't start (might be because I'm using a EU bios for a NTSC game, hm i'll try that next time i've got a chance) then one of them just hung like a mofo and I had to hold down the power button on my XSS to get anywhere - even the restart process had like 15s latency... Freaked me right out

they have different types of names but they're all .iso files...

...wuhappenin? Could it be that I've only got one bios and it's EU? sigh

wvnative

I need help or I'm gonna give up guys.

I've followed the steps for setting up PS2 emulation religiously. Some things are a bit weird - for some reason on my xBox everything's going in, like, D drive rather than the S drive most videos keep mentioning...

but anyway, I've set pcxs2 or whatever it's called, the right version, i've put a set of PS2 bios (EU) into the right part of the right folder and put it on my xbox

i've got it as far as recognizing PS2 games and putting them in a playlist, but none of them work - the ones that do boot at all go to the memory card/PS2 disc dialogue but don't start (might be because I'm using a EU bios for a NTSC game, hm i'll try that next time i've got a chance) then one of them just hung like a mofo and I had to hold down the power button on my XSS to get anywhere - even the restart process had like 15s latency... Freaked me right out

they have different types of names but they're all .iso files...

...wuhappenin? Could it be that I've only got one bios and it's EU? sigh

1. PS2 emulation is gonna be difficult in general, many games won't work or run smooth

2. Are games on USB? PS2 games won't load off USB

3. Use proper bios

Top Bottom