• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retropie screen tearing issues (RPi400)

Doczu

I started using my Pi to play some ps1 classics and every time i eventually get some awfull tearing on 1/3 display on the bottom of the screen. It's not game or settings depended, cause i tried all of them and i messed around with the settings to no avail. It's never a question if, just when.

I dug a bit around the net and found some older posts and topics talking about the issue (a total of 2 on the retropie forums and 1 on reddit) and how the only way to combat it was to change the v3d driver to KMS instead of FKMS. Supposedly it helps, but i got hit with the black screen that may (and in my situation did) happen. Fuck me. Emustation started, chose a game and it bricked my emustation. Pi boots into the terminal.
I refuse to believe that there is no way to overcome the tearing, maybe i'm missing something or maybe someone had the same issue but found a solution.

Please bro's, help me out. I need my SH fix for Halloween 😥

Newest Retropie OS, all cores were updated etc.

Last edited:

Doczu

Go to your terminal and type in sudo raspi-config
Then advanced options and disable compositor
Ok, so i changed ot and for now it looks like it works correctly. I'll have to do some more intensive testing after work, but it looks like it really did help. Gex 1 had that tearing almost from the start and now it's smooth as butter.
Thank you!

Doczu

Ok, so that didn't help or (subjectively) made things worse.
But i have abother clue which leads me to think this is a v-sync problem?
I have the fps counter on all the time and played Medal of Honor for testing. All those tearing issues happened when the gsme jumped from 30 to 60 fps. Whenever the framerate went up or down it teared hard untill the framerate met the high or low point.
But it doesn't make sense to me as MoH was a 30 fps game and the constant framerate jumps make it look like some setting is off. Then again Gex is a constant 60fps game and still the tear issues are happening.
I tried turning v-sync off, change the settings of it or even hard sync to the gpu but it works only when i exit the overlay - after a few seconds or a minute tops it starts all over.

Please help me, it's surely not normal or no one would use.Raspberries for emulation 😐

Doczu

Well, not much traction in this thread, but i'll bump it for the last time as i found the solution myself:

Forcing 1080p on the Pie on my 4k tv. Yeah, something that stupid. Of course now when i google i find a hundred thousand topics with this issue.

Maybe this thread will help someone else, if not, at least laugh at my stupidity!

Top Bottom