• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Return To Monkey Island announced, coming 2022

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Cool, but not very optimistic.

Animation looks cheap and game could just be a way to cash in from nostalgia.

Honestly for as much as I liked those games as a kid, I would prefer if they'd try new things instead of this.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Wow what, how could you say that? And if you want new things you have plenty of other like Thimbleweed Park etc.
Hey it's Monday, let me be just a bit sour. :messenger_squinting_tongue:

I dunno, I don't like the teaser's animation, and whenever I see some media from the 90's being brought back for no apparent reason all I can think of is getting some cash from.the nostalgia people.

Hope I'm wrong ofc!

Wait what? but.. what happen with Monkey Island 3 and 4 story?
Oh so this is supposed to be set between 2 and 3?

What's there to tell? I thought Guybrush just escaped the carnival or whatever was that at the end of 2, since at the start of 3 he's on a bumper car.

amigastar

Hey it's Monday, let me be just a bit sour. :messenger_squinting_tongue:

I dunno, I don't like the teaser's animation, and whenever I see some media from the 90's being brought back for no apparent reason all I can think of is getting some cash from.the nostalgia people.

Hope I'm wrong ofc!

Oh so this is supposed to be set between 2 and 3?

What's there to tell? I thought Guybrush just escaped the carnival or whatever was that at the end of 2, since at the start of 3 he's on a bumper car.
lol, ok.

00_Zer0

Cool, but not very optimistic.

Animation looks cheap and game could just be a way to cash in from nostalgia.

Honestly for as much as I liked those games as a kid, I would prefer if they'd try new things instead of this.
Hey, at least this wasn't the newly reformed Telltale and their outdated engine.

I am glad Lucasfilm/Arts/Didsney is allowing these properties to be developed by outside companies again. It's easy for them to approve something like Star Wars or Indiana Jones or Marvel games on the Marvel side of things, so it's a rarity and good news overall when you see something like this happen.

With a small teaser like this you can't tell much about the overall look of gameplay so I will hold off judgment for now.

DKehoe

Gold Member
So, basically they are retconning the series, but Murray is there anyway? Ok.

Not a fan of that graphic style, too.
Yeh seems odd to have Murray in it if this is a Gilbert one. But getting to see him make a new one is something I've wanted for so long. So I'm absolutely on board with this.

I don't know how to feel... I'm excited about a new Monkey Island game but it looks like a flash game!
Why didn't they use pixelart style or the animated style of 3... sigh...

Will most likely buy it though.

KWAB

Banned
So, basically they are retconning the series, but Murray is there anyway? Ok.

Not a fan of that graphic style, too.
read this he talked about it

Twelve - It would be called Monkey Island 3a. All the games after Monkey Island 2 don't exist in my Monkey Island universe. My apologies to the all talented people who worked on them and the people who loved them, but I'd want to pick up where I left off. Free of baggage. In a carnival. That doesn't mean I won't steal some good ideas or characters from other games. I'm not above that.

stranno

Not a big fan of the Special Edition graphics style for backgrounds, but at least characters look much better. Hard to tell with just that short scene.

I loved the MI2 ending back in the day, it was the original Lost.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Baby Babies GIF

Wish they would release the re-releases on PS5 as well, they were only ever on Xbox.

Is this going to be on PC only? So much nostalgia for this series, love it.

Fuz

Banned
I should be over the moon but I'm worried as fuck.

Being kind of obsessed with Monkey Island since the '90s, loved to death the 2 games and hated the fake third... this could be a case of "careful what you wish for". I wanted nothing more that (a proper) Monkey 3 but what I see leaves me worried. I greatly dislike that art style and especially the horrible flash animation style. I don't like Murray, always felt out of place and too cartoony. I don't even like Dominic Armato as Guybrush (but I get it).
I'm sured that writing and puzzles will be top-notch, the rest leaves me kinda scared.
Worried. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom