• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Return To Monkey Island announced, coming 2022

Thimbleweed Park was Ron Gilbert explicitly making a retro LucasArts style adventure game. In the kickstarter pitch they mentioned it was supposed to be like someone finding an old forgotten game from '87 on a floppy disc. With certain design improvements that come with a long history of game making, of course.

With Monkey Island 3, I believe the game will have many hallmarks of Gilbert & Grossman's design, but they're not trying to make a retro game anymore. That's something I think Ron got off his chest with TP. A while back he was posting about a new adventure game engine he was making & testing out with the Delores mini adventure. That game featured updates to the controls and interface of TP and it wouldn't surprise me if we got something similar in Return to Monkey Island.

Neolombax

I've only played Escape from Monkey Island and Tales of Monkey Island. Thought they were hilarious, Escape more than Tales. Definitely excited for this.

ManaByte

Gold Member
This must be why there were Monkey Island references in the POTC Sea of Thieves content and why Rare is teasing an even bigger collab this year.

Filben

Now we also need Dominic Armato back as Guybrush. His voice is so engrained to me as Guybrush and he performs fantastically.

Duchess

I'm hoping I enjoy this more than Thimbleweed Park. Ron Gilbert has a habit of getting too meta, and that sort of humour is all too easy to mess up.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I'm hoping I enjoy this more than Thimbleweed Park. Ron Gilbert has a habit of getting too meta, and that sort of humour is all too easy to mess up.
They do have Dave Grossman back in the writing seat too: Gilbert + Grossman + Schafer were behind MI2 and Grossman co-directed/wrote DotT with Schafer, so I am confident.

I do wish they had a bigger budget and could afford pixel art instead of either 3D or what looks like skeletal animation (2D sprites connected by joints).

Fools idol

Banned
WHHAT! no way...

I was just playing the original game this weekend and wondering if we would ever see a resurgence of these types of games in general, let alone Monkey Island.

I miss the golden age of point and clicks sorely - they were my comfort food for many years at school and college. So many great memories of things like Gabriel Knight, Broken Sword, Monkey Island, Day of the tentacle, Grim fandango, Discworld... ahhh

IMG20220405161726.jpg

.Yas queen

IMG20220405161726.jpg

.Yas queen
Those bundles back in the day were something else. I had the one with the first Monkey Island, Zac McKracken, Loom, Maniac Mansion, and I think Indy and the Last Crusade... then there was another bundle I had that had Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe and.. damn can't remember, but pretty sure I didn't buy SWotL by itself.

Then Sierra had compilations with all the Quest series... PC gaming bringing the value for 30+ years.

Those bundles back in the day were something else. I had the one with the first Monkey Island, Zac McKracken, Loom, Maniac Mansion, and I think Indy and the Last Crusade... then there was another bundle I had that had Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe and.. damn can't remember, but pretty sure I didn't buy SWotL by itself.

Then Sierra had compilations with all the Quest series... PC gaming bringing the value for 30+ years.

Yeah I've got the King's Quest Collection

Gamezone

Gold Member
Who has the rights to make Monkey Island games? I thought it was EA after buying the Disney license and Lucas Games.

Bartski

Gold Member
I'd be happier to see they're making one with 90s retro graphics but it's still great news, despite the obvious nostalgia trip.

The first two are some of my best childhood gaming memories.

Does it make sense to play the Curse of Monkey island beforehand? I somehow never did

Last edited:
I'd be happier to see they're making one with 90s retro graphics but it's still great news, despite the obvious nostalgia trip.

The first two are some of my best childhood gaming memories.

Does it make sense to play the Curse of Monkey island beforehand? I somehow never did

Yeah I'm not sold on the art style, it looks like phone game graphics.

But do play CMI, it's pretty great

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Hey it's Monday, let me be just a bit sour. :messenger_squinting_tongue:

I dunno, I don't like the teaser's animation, and whenever I see some media from the 90's being brought back for no apparent reason all I can think of is getting some cash from.the nostalgia people.

Hope I'm wrong ofc!

Oh so this is supposed to be set between 2 and 3?

What's there to tell? I thought Guybrush just escaped the carnival or whatever was that at the end of 2, since at the start of 3 he's on a bumper car.

I will highly suggest you to skip the game

I love Monkey Island. Trying to figure out the pirate insult fighting as a child back in the Amiga days was one of the few happy memories I have with my father.

Hooks

Oh... who would've thought. I knew Gilbert was saying he is trying to get the rights back some years ago but then nothing was heard. Amazing news!

That said, I think Curse is really, really good, might be even the best of the first three games. It's awesome situations and some great puzzles. The whole death thing is hilarious.

edit: just watched the trailer. Isn't that Murray?
I love curse too. I hope they keep that control scheme and don’t go back to the old way like thimbleweed.

RAIDEN1

Now all we need is a sequel to Full Throttle that CAN be done, despite Ben's voice no longer being with us, they can easily take the story forward with Ben's son, or daughter he may have had....

zaanan

Banned
Amazing games, especially the first one, and the original creator is doing it which is good news.

So why do I have this feeling?
Probably because creators revisiting their creations years later can just as easily fuck up everything as make another masterpiece. A lot of people (not everyone, to clarify for the idiots) wish that Ridley Scott had not returned to the Alien franchise, for example.

That said, I have a lot of respect for the old LucasArts guys, so fingers crossed for a masterpiece!

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
They could even team up with Purcell for a new (good) Sam and Max game again.
I'm not sure what you mean in this case. Steve Purcell actually owns the Sam and Max IP outright, there would be no reason to "team up with" LucasArts (now just a holding company) for a new game. For a remaster of the classic one maybe (since LA does still co-own that), but otherwise I don't understand.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I'm an old faithful fan of MI1 and 2. Thimbleweed Park was a really nice surprise to me and can't wait for this one.

Who has the rights to make Monkey Island games? I thought it was EA after buying the Disney license and Lucas Games.

I think Ron bought it back from Disney

The trailer has Copyright and TM Lucasfilm. They own the IP.

I'm not sure what you mean in this case. Steve Purcell actually owns the Sam and Max IP outright, there would be no reason to "team up with" LucasArts (now just a holding company) for a new game. For a remaster of the classic one maybe (since LA does still co-own that), but otherwise I don't understand.

I know he does that's why I mentioned his name. However Lucas owns Hit the Road and the unreleased Freelance Police. I want a remake of the first and modernizing and releasing the 2nd.

is anyone old enough here to remember the crazy Dial-A-Pirate antipiracy system?
When I got my first pirated copy of the game as a kid it came with the two discs photocopied onto a piece of paper. Thinking back, it really wasn't all that effective, especially compared to other games that made you look up the fifth word in the third paragraph on page 62 of the manual or whatever. Copying a 100 page manual is a hassle. 2 paper discs? Not so much.

Last edited:
Top Bottom