• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Return To Monkey Island announced, coming 2022

I think we both know that wasn't what you were referring to or you would have said it by name. I was curious what you meant but now I'm losing interest.

I was referring to a direct sequel to Hit the Road. I didn't enjoy the TT games while I adored the LA one. Whether or not you believe me or are losing interest is irrelevant to me.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I was referring to a direct sequel to Hit the Road.
Even that wouldn't require any IP from LucasArts. LucasArts own the assets to that game; the art, music, etc. But not the characters. So you could make a direct sequel with just Steve's say so.

Probably the bigger obstacle, to be honest, is that Steve has been very successful outside of gaming, a key story creative and director at Pixar. So it's unlikely we'd see him write and direct a new Sam and Max game the way he did Hit the Road. That, in my opinion, is the reason the later titles never quite lived up.

When I got my first pirated copy of the game as a kid it came with the two discs photocopied onto a piece of paper. Thinking back, it really wasn't all that effective, especially compared to other games that made you look up the fifth word in the third paragraph on page 62 of the manual or whatever. Copying a 100 page manual is a hassle. 2 paper discs? Not so much.
Think I was the same

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Gilbert has said the game doesn't ignore Curse and that is indeed Murray.
Yeah, somehow apparently they still want MI3 to be canon.
Which is good, cause I found it to be the best game in the series.

Not sure how they're going to pull that off, though.
Time travel?

Last edited:

Kadve

Gilbert has said the game doesn't ignore Curse and that is indeed Murray.
So what does that mean? Is it a retelling of Curse or does it acknowledge its events in broad strokes? And does that mean Escape is ignored?

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I can't remember the ending to 3...might have to dig out my og cd rom.....oh wait....I don't have a drive anymore.

Brock2621

Yeah she and Ken formed a new developer. Their first project is a fully 3D remake of the original 1976 Colossal Cave Adventure, the game for which the Adventure genre is named, which is imo a very interesting place to start.

This is very interesting. I wish they had a larger team to really make this a pillar of VR but alas, pretty inspiring they are basically doing it themselves. I'd love to play it

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
This is very interesting. I wish they had a larger team to really make this a pillar of VR but alas, pretty inspiring they are basically doing it themselves. I'd love to play it
Yeah it's obviously a small team and not gonna win any graphics awards, but updating that game for 3D and VR is pretty interesting on its face, that is a game with a lot of depth to it, and I trust them to do it right.

graywolf323

Gold Member

Strip20220406a.x93667.png

ShadowNate

I kind of like it so far. The art on the teaser was a little rough on the eye -- yeah, especially the character model and her animation.

I think I'm getting used to it. Hopefully it'll be even better in-game with added ambient sounds and effects.

Wildebeest

Curse fans are kind of more bitter than I expected, I guess. The colour palettes in the art are spot on, but I'm not sure about all the composition and perspective and whatnot.

Last edited:
You just mentioned reaching new audiences. Do you feel it was important to choose an art style like this, as opposed to pixel art, to be able to reach a broader audience?

Ron:
Yeah, I think it is. Personally I love pixel art, and there are a lot of people who love pixel art, but I think for a lot of people, pixel art does feel like a dated thing. On Thimbleweed Park, I don’t think an article appeared where people didn’t call it a throwback game. And that always stung me a little bit with Thimbleweed, because it’s like, we were trying a lot of new things; there’s a lot of interesting design stuff going on there, and I always thought it was better than a throwback game, but you can’t shake that.
Own up you heathens and savages!

And who does Ron think his target audience is? The Fortnite crowd? I guarantee, 98% of the people interested in this game will be the stalwarts

Last edited:
The animation is actually spot on. It's the art style that's hideous. The characters, especially

Hype levels slashed by 75%
Old school animation would have an artist painting each frame individually. This one is cheap indie animation, where they just paint the character once, and then flex and move that model to make it look like it's moving. It takes less work, but it looks cheap to some of us. I personally hate it.

Old school animation would have an artist painting each frame individually. This one is cheap indie animation, where they just paint the character once, and then flex and move that model to make it look like it's moving. It takes less work, but it looks cheap to some of us. I personally hate it.

Ok let me watch again

ShadowNate

The colour palettes in the art are spot on, but I'm not sure about all the composition and perspective and whatnot.
I can't quite place it but I also think there's something off with perspective and definitiion of characters and object -- but mostly characters. Like, I can't clearly grasp some of the outlines and details of a character unless I look really closely. For example, the female ghost pirate playing the violin and wearing one boot. My first (and lasting) impression is it looked like a male pirate with a wig or something hanging off his hat and a stump/wooden leg.

Same thing with the guy at the tools and keys shop. (I don't think that's Wally). I can see his head and glasses but the rest of it is kind of a mess.

Elios83

Can't say I like the artstyle, probably there are budget issues at work here, but these games are all about the humor, characters, writing and puzzles so I'm really happy they're making an other one.
Ideally it should have looked like Curse in 4K.

Wildebeest

Same thing with the guy at the tools and keys shop. (I don't think that's Wally). I can see his head and glasses but the rest of it is kind of a mess.
The shades over the glasses are a confusing detail and the lines and angles are weird, especially around the arm, but everywhere on the scene. I don't know about shapes not popping, as I can't literally see what you are seeing on your screen. Maybe you haven't calibrated your gamma and colour balance the same as me, or whatever.

And who does Ron think his target audience is? The Fortnite crowd? I guarantee, 98% of the people interested in this game will be the stalwarts
Yep this dude's delusional. Maybe he should have made New Monkey Island 3 w/ Thimbleweed style graphics and Thimbleweed w/ new style Fortnite graphics so he could more plainly see how the new audience isn't coming.

ShadowNate

The shades over the glasses are a confusing detail and the lines and angles are weird, especially around the arm, but everywhere on the scene. I don't know about shapes not popping, as I can't literally see what you are seeing on your screen. Maybe you haven't calibrated your gamma and colour balance the same as me, or whatever.
Yeah most objects are fine. And I generally like a "busy" scene rather than a lazy barren scene. But shapes around the character models -- especially that glasses guy are a bit of a mess for me. Like he seems to have a collar that is not attached to his overall (?) or is that some weird beard?
Anyway, maybe when animated and with added effects like shadows etc it will look better for me.

Wildebeest

Yeah most objects are fine. And I generally like a "busy" scene rather than a lazy barren scene. But shapes around the character models -- especially that glasses guy are a bit of a mess for me. Like he seems to have a collar that is not attached to his overall (?) or is that some weird beard?
Anyway, maybe when animated and with added effects like shadows etc it will look better for me.
He has a spiky weird orange collar, but right behind his chin there is the green wooden handle of the bellows. I mean, I can see it, but it isn't super clean.

YCoCg

That fucking music style, we're at least back to Curse quality on that front, that brief snippet just reminded me of parts of Course right away.

Even if this game ends up bad, I'm at least getting a brilliant soundtrack.

Top Bottom