• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Return to Monkey Island, calm down after being insulted by a fan for your art style.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Fans are so mad about the new controversial monkey Island art style that Gilbert has put down his block.

Ron Gilbert, creator of the Monkey Island Point and Click series, will no longer talk or show his next game: Return to Monkey Island.

After showing the game’s trailer at Nintendo Direct on Tuesday, Gilbert received a number of insulting comments from fans about the game’s new art style. So stop commenting altogether, starting with Gilbert’s (Grumpy Gamer) blog. But that’s not all. Gilbert also said that he has completed the broadcast. Return to Monkey Island Generally. After playing on his blog and defending the team, he concluded his words with the words “The joy of sharing is forbidden from me”.

The art style of Back to Monkey Island is a great transition from a set of pixels to a Disney graphic. Instead, the game takes a more abstract style and has more in common with recent games like the ones below. Guacamelle Compared to previous Monkey Island games.

It looks like fans aren’t too interested in the change, but in a previous blog post (taken by Eurogamer), it got a new look because it’s exactly what the creator wanted. “Going back to Monkey Island may not be the art style you want or expect, but that’s the art style I want,” Gilbert said.
Although Gilbert had finished speaking Return to Monkey IslandThe voice actor of the main character of the series, Gaibrush Tripwood – Dominic Armato – I went to twitter To defend Gilbert and the game itself.

from Tuesday Armato shared his thoughts with his fans Information about the game, especially a change in visual style to which players react badly. Armato (who said he played it this spring) was interested in the arts and shared some fans’ general bewilderment at the poison he spit on Gilbert and the team’s road – Gilbert himself reset the argument Helping.

Armato shuts down Twitter discussion about monkeys’ return to island A simple yet powerful statement To protect the dev team: “As much as you want it to be a monkey island, I’m going to go out and suggest that doing this for developers takes more time than fun, is the quickest way to make sure it doesn’t happen. Be for everyone.”

At the time of this writing, Gilbert’s blog is down and it is unclear how long it will stay that way. But, of course, fans seem to be the last to hear about it. Return to Monkey Island prior to its release this year.[\quote]

H4ze

Most "Fans" are pieces of shit, Internet troll babys still living at their parents. I am not a big fan of the new artstyle too, but this is just pathetic. Gilbert has every right to design the game how he envisions it. I feel bad for him.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Most "Fans" are pieces of shit, Internet troll babys still living at their parents. I am not a big fan of the new artstyle too, but this is just pathetic. Gilbert has every right to design the game how he envisions it. I feel bad for him.

Of course he has, just as every fan has the right to have their opinion about it.

Edit: I am against the personal insults as much as anyone else

Last edited:

Fredrik

I played the original Monkey Island game on the Amiga many times in my youth, while I would’ve rather seen a HD-2D style like in Square Enix’s games I don’t think the new style is all that bad. Twitter is cancer, that’s the problem here. Just ignore Twitter and make your dream game Ron! 👍

Last edited:

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
I don't mean to be rude, but why does the article look like it was google translated from another language?

"... is the quickest way to make sure it doesn’t happen. Be for everyone."
"Gilbert also said that he has completed the broadcast. Return to Monkey Island Generally."
"Armato shuts down Twitter discussion about monkeys’ return to island."
"... fans seem to be the last to hear about it. Return to Monkey Island prior to its release this year."
This wasn't written by a human.

Last edited:

SweetShark

This comic will be always my answer.

ESIK3kNWAAE0Chj

Kimahri

Banned
Of course he has, just as every fan has the right to have their opinion about it.
Having the right to have an opinion doesn't mean you should have the right to voice it in every vile manner possible.

There's difference between not liking something, and verbally assaulting whomever made it.

These pieces of shit deserve no excuses.

So fucking tired of the constant excuses made for this bullshit behaviour. "oh, but it's the internet, it's just how it is", "oh, but if you can't handle criticism, don't put yourself out there", "oh, but everyone has a right to an opinion".

Fuck off with that shit. These assholes need to be put in their place. Constantly. Excusing them only empowers, normalizes, and trivializes what in actuality are pretty severe attacks on actual people.

Banned

he has the right to make the game the way he wants, and I have the right to say that the style looks like ass and the animation work is pathetically amateurishly done.

Majormaxxx

No one should go to his personal blog and write vile personal insults. This is just ugly behavior.

That said, the new art style is hardly aesthetic. It is controversial, and that was done by Gilbert ON PURPOSE to SHOCK AND SUBVERT EXPECTATIONS as per his own statement. My opinion is that this is the wrong approach for an ip that relies on the type of customers targetted by adventure games in general and monkey Island in particular.

This is an point and click game that relies on fans and nostalgia.

Why pull the rug from underneath your fans?

If he expected universal acclaim for the visual choices, he must have been delusional. Some amount of backlash was forthcoming with this particular type of product and this particular artstyle.

Why Gilbert chooses to subvert expectations? Must be his personality because the same thing was done in MI2(ending) , TP (the ending in general ), Delores (the ending political comment). I didn't care for the monkey Island 2 ending back then. Completely inappropriate. But that is his personality and sense of humor.

Again, to reiterate, the people who acted like pre-pubescent bullies are super annoying. I think his blog comments should have been closed or private from the start.

Comments are just words and in reality don't hurt physically but could be psychologically very disturbing.

No one should have to be exposed to this. In the long run, his comment section is better off being turned off.

Looking forward to getting the game. On sale.

Majormaxxx

Some more examples of subverting expectations that divided the fans and in my opinion backfired:

Mass Effect 3 - universally beloved series, known for its epic and satisfying ending sequences. Then me3 ends with a slap in the face. Such a disappointment. Why?

TLOU2. Commented here enough. Lots of love and hate for the way it turned out. TLOU1 - universally beloved. Why flush half your fans down the drain?

The Last Jedi. The old subvert the expectations trick. Why do this do the most beloved franchise?

Game of thrones final seasons. Why ruin the most beloved fantasy series like that and make the fans go 180?

We had a discussion where 95 percent of Gaf said the art was bad.

This article is about 95 percent on the Internet agrees that the art is bad.
This "article" is a shoddy rip-off of a Polygon piece written by someone who can barely string an English sentence together. It's not about "95% of the internet agreeing that the art is bad", but about Ron Gilbert shutting down the comments on his blog and refusing to provide further updates on the game after a bunch of assholes started attacking and threatening him personally. All of this was covered and discussed in the previous thread, by the way.

Some more examples of subverting expectations that divided the fans and in my opinion backfired:

Mass Effect 3 - universally beloved series, known for its epic and satisfying ending sequences. Then me3 ends with a slap in the face. Such a disappointment. Why?

TLOU2. Commented here enough. Lots of love and hate for the way it turned out. TLOU1 - universally beloved. Why flush half your fans down the drain?

The Last Jedi. The old subvert the expectations trick. Why do this do the most beloved franchise?

Game of thrones final seasons. Why ruin the most beloved fantasy series like that and make the fans go 180?

I bailed on GOT after S3, but I was on the ground for everything else. Sure I was vocal about my displeasure online in forums and what-have-you, but I never felt the urge to contact people directly to be hateful. I just figured they no longer want me as a fan, and walked away.

Fans yes, they have the right to theyr opinion in a civil way, personal attacks and insults and tantrum reactions, no, in no way.
Developers must ignore does bullies and dont let those guys under theyr skin. Ignore them and make the game YOU want to make. You have always people who criticise your work. Those people who are in the minority will not buy your game, others will, it is what it is...

STARSBarry

Gold Member
You know guys... I just want to point this out, we recently had a diffrent thread where some chick was sent dick pics and I avoided because for some weird reason the consensus of the thread was "its the internet people are going to do that, why would you expect diffrent that's just how it is" and I just could not figure out why.

But now in this thread things which I would personally put much further down the list than dick pics are "vile" and "ugly" and people need to stop.

Why did Gaf blame the victim in the former and now blame the abusers in this one? What's diffrent here?

By the way that art style fucking sucks, jesus.

Last edited:

Majormaxxx

I bailed on GOT after S3, but I was on the ground for everything else. Sure I was vocal about my displeasure online in forums and what-have-you, but I never felt the urge to contact people directly to be hateful. I just figured they no longer want me as a fan, and walked away.
I think that was the right call.

The kind of people who harass artists like that are just beyond qualification. Unstable, sociopathic, crazy behavior.

Majormaxxx

You know guys... I just want to point this out, we recently had a diffrent thread where some chick was sent dick pics and I avoided because for some weird reason the consensus of the thread was "its the internet people are going to do that, why would you expect diffrent that's just how it is" and I just could not figure out why.

But now in this thread things which I would personally put much further down the list than dick pics are "vile" and "ugly" and people need to stop.

Why did Gaf blame the victim in the former and now blame the abusers in this one? What's diffrent here?

By the way that art style fucking sucks, jesus.
I agree.

Dick picks are not a huge deal but unpleasant nonetheless. In my job I receive people's progress photos (health and fitness) and one time this guy sent me a full frontal. Like, why dude lol?

Most fans aren't on twitter or in some obscure board attacking the devs, it's stupid to use that to discredit people that have nothing to do with this. Reasonable criticism is fine, the art clearly sucks btw.

Last edited:
The whole problem is that the number of people that act in this way is way smaller that both the developer and his fanboys make it looks like.
It just a similar tactics to the ones used by, for example, Hollywood and/or streaming services to mark all criticism as hate against their otherwise bad product
And judging by the large percentage of people who don't like it especially after the release of the trailer they have reason to want to put everyone on the hate column
in order to be able to justify later a very possible flop!
The irony is that Gilbert himself is still fanning the flames with his posts either on his blog or his twitter account.
If you want a similar example you have only to check the whole situation before Obi-wan release.

Wildebeest

Seems that some games are acceptable to be negative about, but others are not. Either way, I don't go along with internet shaming campaigns and cancel culture. Leave the guy alone and let him work on his game.

Try to peddle shit, get shit back. Some comments are out of line but that's the internet for ya. Most are just expressing their opinion of an awful art style.
Gilbert is throwing a tantrum to get free publicity.
Unfortunately that's not free. It will certainly cost in sales. And it's a genre where every single sale count!
Niche genre adventure games are (Yoda style ;-))

Seems that some games are acceptable to be negative about, but others are not. Either way, I don't go along with internet shaming campaigns and cancel culture. Leave the guy alone and let him work on his game.
He is the one who don't leave things alone, not the fans.
In the current situation what possible gain he would have to post that stupid thing on twitter about his interest about a Maniac Mansion remake?
Even as joke (which probably is) the timing is very bad to post something like this now

Last edited:
Unfortunately that's not free. It will certainly cost in sales. And it's a genre where every single sale count!
Niche genre adventure games are (Yoda style ;-))
Perhaps, we'll see. The game is on everyone's lips now and a lot of younger people seem to enjoy the art style so they might gain from this in the end.

AJUMP23

Art style isn’t controversial. It just doesn’t look like what it use to. I think it is a shame that people killed his creative desire to share.

Killing peoples passion.

Wildebeest

He is the one who don't leave things alone, not the fans.
In the current situation what possible gain he would have to post that stupid thing on twitter about his interest about a Maniac Mansion remake?
Even as joke (which probably is) the timing is very bad to post something like this now
What are you even angry about? You want him to stop posting on twitter so you don't get triggered any more?

Perhaps, we'll see. The game is on everyone's lips now and a lot of younger people seem to enjoy the art style so they might gain from this in the end.
but alot of younger people don't even know monkey island.
what's worst is that the game is marketed as a sequel and a continuation of previous games

of course we will see but personally it looks like that it's heading already to game's hell:messenger_crying:
(there are other red flags after all beside the bad art)
which will certainly kill any desire from Disney to resurrect any other old IP

Last edited:
Reactions: Fuz

Prekk

Neo Member
I can't imagine Gilbert to actually be honest about that this is what he really wants his game to look like.
This "art" style and the horrible cheapo flash animation have to be a cost cutting measure.
A proper hand-drawn 2d art style and animating that, a la Curse of Monkey Island or something like Sam & Max or Full Throttle, would be too expensive nowadays.

So it's _this_ or no Monkey Island at all.

Salz01

I can't imagine Gilbert to actually be honest about that this is what he really wants his game to look like.
This "art" style and the horrible cheapo flash animation have to be a cost cutting measure.
A proper hand-drawn 2d art style and animating that, a la Curse of Monkey Island or something like Sam & Max or Full Throttle, would be too expensive nowadays.

I’d rather have no monkey island at all then. Probably won’t get this no matter how good the jokes are. Part of playing these type of games is for the art because you have to stare at it so long to figure out puzzles etc… There was no real need to dig up the franchise at this point anyways since it’s been so long. I get it’s all creators intent, but he should have at least done some focus testing or get feedback on his blog. And yes, devs shouldn’t be harassed.

Reactions: Fuz

Several indie companies manage to make beautiful adventure games with minimal budgets!!!!
So this is definitively not the issue here.
some recent high res (to avoid comments about pixelart) examples
even the new simon the sorcerer look great (and that's coming from someone who don't like origins stories of heroes)

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
The character art is definitely different for the series, but a hell of a lot better than what we got for the remakes. It's a shame to see people hung up on a single thing like that when it's too late to change anything.

Gilbert should get a thicker skin as well, any time you change up with a classic IP people are gonna be precious about it. If the game speaks for itself and gets good reviews people will get over it.

Fuz

Banned
The whole problem is that the number of people that act in this way is way smaller that both the developer and his fanboys make it looks like.
It just a similar tactics to the ones used by, for example, Hollywood and/or streaming services to mark all criticism as hate against their otherwise bad product
And judging by the large percentage of people who don't like it especially after the release of the trailer they have reason to want to put everyone on the hate column
in order to be able to justify later a very possible flop!
The irony is that Gilbert himself is still fanning the flames with his posts either on his blog or his twitter account.
If you want a similar example you have only to check the whole situation before Obi-wan release.
Spot on.

I've seen those comments. There were a few toxic among HUNDREDS of comments, and often from the same person. And there were toxic comments ON BOTH SIDES (but that other side doesn't count, I guess).
This is a clear case of "No criticism allowed".

Sorry, but Ron is being a giant crybaby here.

Kssio_Aug

As usuals the so called fans are overreacting to the roof. Let the guy work the way he wants... Don't like the art? Don't play it. Is that simple.

But at this point, developers also need to expect that whatever they do that won't please a considerable amount of their public target, will get hate on social media. Just ignore the iditos.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
And this is not as simple as, "don't like, don't buy" as some of you are reducing the issue. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity, something that fan dreamed for 30 years, completely squandered and thrown into the trash.
full20190314233649.png
62805-the-secret-of-monkey-island-dos-screenshot-close-up-of-guybrush.png
full20190314233728.png
full20190314233705.png
Carla-The-Sword-Master-Monkey-Island.jpg

mi0106151280jpg-c993fd_160w.jpg

full20211020084150.jpg

full20210514230408.jpg

Ron Gilbert's Monkey Islands (the ONLY real Monkey Islands) always looked pseudo-realistic, accounting for technical limitations of that age. Those were the real Caribbeans. Those were real pirates. They were real pirate stories, albeit a bit wacky, not silly cartoons. The pseudo realism also affected the weight of the jokes. Monkey Island was as much a creature of Purcell as Gilbert's.
And now we went from an Errol Flynn movie to a nickelodeon cartoon.

I wonder what you people would think if God of War Ragnarok looked like Terrance and Phillip just because the dev found it fun.

Last edited:

Shmunter

And this is not as simple as, "don't like, don't buy" as some of you are reducing the issue. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity, something that fan dreamed for 30 years, completely squandered and thrown into the trash.
full20190314233649.png
62805-the-secret-of-monkey-island-dos-screenshot-close-up-of-guybrush.png
full20190314233728.png
full20190314233705.png
Carla-The-Sword-Master-Monkey-Island.jpg

mi0106151280jpg-c993fd_160w.jpg

full20211020084150.jpg

full20210514230408.jpg

Ron Gilbert's Monkey Islands (the ONLY real Monkey Islands) always looked pseudo-realistic, accounting for technical limitations of that age. Those were the real Caribbeans. Those were real pirates. They were real pirate stories, albeit a bit wacky, not silly cartoons. The pseudo realism also affected the weight of the jokes. Monkey Island was as much a creature of Purcell than Gilbert.
And now we went from an Errol Flynn movie, to a nickelodeon cartoon.

I wonder what you people would think if God of War Ragnarok looked like Terrance and Phillip just because the dev found it fun.
Has to be noted that there was a sizeable gulf between the style of those static interludes vs in-game

Not that I like the new art.

Top Bottom