• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal 2.0 update - incl Suspend Cycle and photo mode

I'll have to go back to this and try it out, I'm still not sure it needed the the ability to save the cycle but I know that it was a popular request and Housemarque have spent a lot of time trying to get it right so I'll definitely try it again.
What is it with games and photo modes?

This is NOT a critic to the game, but to photo modes in general...
Only game I ever took screenshots was fh4 and just because I would get $$ to buy cars, I never even saved them

Feel like every game today has to have photo mode...
It's been pretty standard in Sony's first party games since the PS4 launched when they added a Share button to the controller. The Xbox Series consoles and Switch have both done the same now so I assume that it's something customers like.
It's not something that I use a great deal but I am an avid photographer in real life so it really be fun to mess around with them on occasion.

Dr Bass

FFF right off with that bs
I've finished the game but inability to stop the run and go to sleep does not work well with my work schedule.
A good run can be easily 5-6 hours. I finished that game 2 am
What?? I beat the game from start to finish, no death, in like 2-3 hours. Wtf were you doing?? :messenger_tongue:

tommib

What?? I beat the game from start to finish, no death, in like 2-3 hours. Wtf were you doing?? :messenger_tongue:
It9sO8g.jpg

💀

SCB3

Ah good, a nice compromise for it that I was looking for, still stuck in the 2nd biome boss but wanting to go back over winter

Great addition. There have been times when I wish I could suspend my current run because stuff came up.

And photo mode! The scenery is this game is so beautiful and mysterious. And now you can take proper photos, ah yes!

FrankWza

Sounds like "suspend cycle" is an awesome QoL improvement.
I think it should work for every single game or don’t bother at all. I mean, now people that play Returnal are going to talk about it like its a great feature, only it doesn’t work for every game. Get rid of it completely unless Every game can have it.
Paulie Walnuts GIF

Swift_Star

Banned
i feel sorry for those who claimed there was no issue with the previous arrangement, now that the devs themselves admit suspend is a well requested quality of life feature.

It will remain the weirdest, most puzzling and completely daft storyline of the year that people were ACTIVELY against quality of life features in this game. Christ.

I’ll definitely be buying this game now. Probably during the Black Friday sales.
Oh, just wait when they finally put an easy mode in a souls game. (It'll happen, you'll see).

xrnzaaas

Suspend is a very welcome feature, but it should've been added much sooner imo. Or maybe even caught during focus tests. I can't imagine most of the people actually liked going on long runs without being allowed to save in the game.

Last edited:

Orpheum

Some impressions on the update

It seems like they fixed a bunch of other stuff in the game. I could be wrong here or maybe i was just unlucky during the 20 hours i've spent before the update, but the room variety was significantly better than on the previous patch. I could go for hours without ever finding a xenoglyph cipher prior to today but during my first run today i found 4 immediately.

Performance overall seems to be better too. Way less framedrops.

Like i said i could be wrong or maybe i was just lucky but it surely does feel a lot smoother and together with the save function this game is now definitely GOTY material for me
Now i hope they'll add the option for a fresh savefile sometime in the future. I wanna experience it from the beginning without having to delete my savefile

skit_data

Some impressions on the update

It seems like they fixed a bunch of other stuff in the game. I could be wrong here or maybe i was just unlucky during the 20 hours i've spent before the update, but the room variety was significantly better than on the previous patch. I could go for hours without ever finding a xenoglyph cipher prior to today but during my first run today i found 4 immediately.

Performance overall seems to be better too. Way less framedrops.

Like i said i could be wrong or maybe i was just lucky but it surely does feel a lot smoother and together with the save function this game is now definitely GOTY material for me
Now i hope they'll add the option for a fresh savefile sometime in the future. I wanna experience it from the beginning without having to delete my savefile
Good, I have 3 ciphers in 3 different biomes to go in order to get the platinum trophy, but I got tired of rerunning the same 3 biomes with basically no new rooms spawning so if they have indeed improved that I’ll have my platinum in no time.

At least I really hope I actually am missing a cipher in those biomes. I found what I thought was the last cipher (I had 19/20) in the first room of Crimson Desert but it didn’t count for some odd reason. I really, really hope it was just a glitch and that there is an actual cipher somewhere in the biome because otherwise I’ll have to delete the save and just start it all from the beginning.

Bartski

Gold Member
Good, I have 3 ciphers in 3 different biomes to go in order to get the platinum trophy, but I got tired of rerunning the same 3 biomes with basically no new rooms spawning so if they have indeed improved that I’ll have my platinum in no time.

At least I really hope I actually am missing a cipher in those biomes. I found what I thought was the last cipher (I had 19/20) in the first room of Crimson Desert but it didn’t count for some odd reason. I really, really hope it was just a glitch and that there is an actual cipher somewhere in the biome because otherwise I’ll have to delete the save and just start it all from the beginning.
Earlier Crimson Desert was bugged and 19/20 counted as 100% and a biome gold trophy. No idea, but maybe they fixed it and increased spawn rate of rooms with uncollected ciphers, that wouldn't hurt imo. Good luck!

Dr Bass

Well I did that feat AFTER I spent 50 hours and died like 50 times I meant lol. Then I did another run and went from start to finish with zero deaths. It was awesome and showed just how you actually do improve at the core mechanics. Awesome game.

I just never had anything close to a 5-6 hour run with that game. Like I said 3 from start to finish. So when I would die or have an issue with a Biome it was like 1 hour tops, on average.

Didn't mean to imply I blazed through the game or had an easy time of it. Far from it.

In my top two games of the year without question. :messenger_beaming:

Great news, hope more people can enjoy this great game now.

I have platinumed it already but this new suspend feature makes me want to come back and experiment some new loadouts.

First thing that came to mind was "I can play without random generation now" when I saw Suspend Cycle. That's really the only thing keeping me from buying it. Still a slick update for those into the game. Sony's been doing pretty great things in that aspect.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm alone or just exceptionally lucky, but I never really cared about losing a run because I can count on one hand the number of runs I had where I didn't feel like I had a great setup. Seriously, like every run by the end of the first biome I always felt like I got great RNG and that I am in good shape. And at that point who cares if you lose a run because you know the next one would be just as good.

Top Bottom