• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal for PC | Review Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member
returnal_(2)1.jpg

Game Information​

Game Title: Returnal
Platforms:
  • PlayStation 5 (Apr 30, 2021)
  • Steam, Epic Games Store (February 15, 2023)
Trailers:
Developer: Housemarque, Nixxes
Publisher: Sony Interactive Entertainment
Review Aggregator:

MetaCritic - 86/100 - 17 Reviews

c4dUl7j.jpg

Critic Reviews:

Digital Chumps - 100/100
Returnal is still a perfect game in my opinion. It hits all the right notes, even when it feels impossibly difficult. The gameplay structure is complicated, precise, and entertaining. The PC upgrade makes the experience even better with superior visuals and a plethora of ways to play the game. This is a superior version of a superior title.
GamersRD - 100/100
Returnal completely surpasses the PS5 version by providing wonderful graphics and amazing optimization. It literally squeezes the full potential of the new GPUs. One of the best combinations is 3D Audio with Dolby Atmos and of course the DualSense support makes the game way more immersive. Returnal is one of the best choices for PC gamers this 2023.
GameSpew - 100/100
Going back to Returnal on PC, we were instantly reminded why we fell in love with it. This is a game like no other. We were disappointed when Housemarque announced it was stepping away from the arcade-style games that it became known for, but when Returnal was unleashed we quickly came to terms with it. This may be a third-person shooter with roguelike elements and lashings of horror, but it’s Housemarque’s penchant for making games that keep you going back for more that ties it all together. And the result is quite simply phenomenal.
Game Rant - 90/100
Returnal on PC has all the content on day one that was released for the original game in the year after its launch, meaning that it's debuting on PC in a better state than it was in when it first came to PS5. Developer Climax Studios has hit it out of the park with this port, so any PC gamers curious about Returnal can feel confident picking it up, but they might want to consider getting a DualSense to go with their purchase.
Metro GameCentral - 90/100
One of the best PlayStation exclusives of recent years is an inspired mix of bullet hell shooter and roguelike dungeon crawler, that somehow still feels like nothing else on console or PC
GameStar - 86/100
Quotation forthcoming.
Multiplayer.it - 85/100
Quotation forthcoming.
Vandal - 82/100
Quotation forthcoming.
Dexerto - 60/100
Returnal on the Steam Deck is going to look a little ugly. All three supersampling options aren’t the best in the world, as AMD’s FSR and Nvidia’s NIS options muddied the screen and VSR turned the game into a gloopy mess. There are also options to turn down the rendered resolution, as well as turn on Dynamic Resolution, but nothing ever managed to run or look ‘right’.

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
epic online services. not store, sorry... but still. What is that ?

Possibly this:

"Today, we are launching a new crossplay tool for game developers—starting with PC. This service is the first in a series of plug-and-play crossplay services that give developers everything they need to connect their game and community across platforms and stores."

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Detexto really gave it six because don't run on their overpriced handheld?

That is literally the only negative I could find in the review. Bizarre. PC Gamer review is also interesting but for the exact opposite reason; guess the game isn't for everyone.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I'm more than happy to be wrong about this game. I might bite if the good reviews stick.

Edit: I'm confused, is that Dexerto review a PC review or a Steam Deck fanboy review..?

Last edited:

TheMan

You know I played this on PS5 when I was briefly subscribed to the higher tier of PS plus (not worth it btw) and I thought this game was just ok. Good production values but I wasn't really compelled to play a ton.

Holammer

Most of the negative user reviews on Steam mentions that it installs and requires Epic Online Services + launcher to be installed to work (can someone confirm?)
Way to go to nuke your first impression.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Kataploom

Gold Member
Most of the negative user reviews on Steam mentions that it installs and requires Epic Online Services + launcher to be installed to work (can someone confirm?)
Way to go to nuke your first impression.
Definitely something to look at when buying games now... these PC devs don't know how else to fuck on consumers... Don't they see how many just don't want to install Epic shit?... "Why?" you may ask, well, for whatever reasons

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Definitely something to look at when buying games now... these PC devs don't know how else to fuck on consumers... Don't they see how many just don't want to install Epic shit?... "Why?" you may ask, well, for whatever reasons
Epic Online Services is effectively the easiest and cheapest way to get online functionality into your game.
I take it you didnt play Hades or Among Us.....they both use EOS.....actually if I think about it, quite alot of games use EOS for their online functionality.

Last edited:

Tomeru

I don't mind bad reviews, but that PC Gamer™️ is really amazing. When you read/listen to that - that's when you know.

I'm considering double dipping. No doubt it'll be easier to 100% again, and I didn't give the coop mode a try before...

Killer8

Did they lower the RAM requirement before launch? Could've sworn it was 32GB at some point yet now it's 16GB.

I'm going to be disappointed if this is yet another stutter struggle mess on PC, but the PS5 is supposedly not immune to loading stutters either.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Great game, wow. I was thinking of playing 2 hours and returning it, but I had a lot of fun and I didn't understand how the time passed (I took a break at 2.1 hours lol). But I'm starting to think that rogue-lite elements will undermine my fun, even though I normally love the genre. I hope I'm wrong. Playing it with keyboard and mouse and it feels awesome.
I'm not sure why this is getting the reviews it is considering the stuttering issues. Do PC reviewers just not care anymore or what?
I don't have any stutters. My specs are: i7 9700k(base clocks), 3060 ti, nvm ssd, 32 gb ram(at 3600mhz), windows 11, 1440p gysnc monitor/144hz. I'm playing it on High settings, FPS around 70-80(almost stable). I've only changed Vsync option(turned it off). GPU utilization goes up to %100, cpu around %50-60. Nvidia driver version 528.02.
I got one crash(fatal error) while playing though.
Detexto really gave it six because don't run on their overpriced handheld?
What a lame review that is. He says "it's another homerun for Sony" in his review.
Did they lower the RAM requirement before launch? Could've sworn it was 32GB at some point yet now it's 16GB.

I'm going to be disappointed if this is yet another stutter struggle mess on PC, but the PS5 is supposedly not immune to loading stutters either.
Yes, they were saying something like that but then they changed it. As far as I can see it's using something like 5-6gb. I don't know if the 32gb ram helped with the stutter issue, it's not using much ram after all.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
So wait...you have to sign into epics online to play it?

If this is true, no way GHG GHG picks it up.

Why the fuxk do we need to sign into epic through steam?
When you first install the game, it installs the "epic online" application for a short time, and when you enter the game, the "epic online app" runs in the background. So, it doesn't open "epic store", but uses epic online app for online features.

I think like hogwarts, RT is the source of stutters.
Might be, I'm playing without "RT" (default "high" settings).

T4keD0wN

I think like hogwarts, RT is the source of stutters.
Hogwarts stutters even without RT, it just seems to make it way worse as RT will need more memory + it puts more workload on the CPU and unreal engine 4 is really bad at utilizing more CPU cores properly.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Played this a bit. Can't maintain 60fps in the benchmark, goes down to about 40 at the worst moment no matter the settings, so I guess I'll lock it to 30 and stick with Epic settings.

Doesn't look so epic tbh. Also got some flickering like texture z fighting here and there (mostly seen in the scene getting close to that first body), some weird loding of shading shifting around pretty massively as you advance and many assets change lod way too closely and abruptly too.

I seem to get some micro stuttering too when just doing stuff with not much happening, the benchmark didn't show it, just when I start shooting or boost around Idk, I don't have a fps counter on outside the benchmark but it just seems to hitch for a fraction of a 2nd, I can feel it.

At any settings that, lowest too.

The game seems alright. I need to re-start it and actually watch the intro cos I skipped all that, O should have known it'd just plop you in game seamlessly.

Not much story to it I take it? Since it throws the twist like, right away on who's that first dead astronaut etc. Then again that part justifies the whole gameplay style.

Also, this lady can obviously just squeeze through the bars of the giant gates you unlock. Noone noticed that?

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Played about two and a half hours so far and am absolutely loving it. Performance isn't nearly as bad as some outlets have made it out to be and while there is some stutter it certainly isn't "unplayable" by any stretch. Game runs fine on native 1440p and high settings but the fps does fluctuate wildly depending on the scene; about 90-130 range on a 5800X3D + 6800XT (not overclocked). With FSR enabled and RT Shadows on Medium (this also looks best imo) it will sit around the 120-160 mark.

Anyway the level design, the narrative, the mechanics, the snappy gameplay... it's all fantastic really and I had to force myself to put it down. Really odd that PC Gamer gave this a 7 in my opinion and the sub headline they gave it makes me think they don't really 'get' it (or the genre itself lol).

This along with Hi-Fi Rush and Scars Above (don't sleep on this btw) later this month, hooooo-whey! 2023 is off to a great start to say the least.

Last edited:

Stuart360

I posted this in the other thread but it may be better here as people are talking about performance -

The game seems pretty well optimized for me.
1080p Epic settings (no RT obviously), 60fps. GPU usage in the 50-80% usage range, and cpu usage is barely anything.
3700x/32gb Ram/GTX 1080ti.

Barely any loading stutter except the odd single stutter to 59fps every so often.
I honestly think because i'm a couch gamer that plays on a 60hz tv (and therefor plays at vsynced 60fps) i rarely get much loading stutter in UE games compard to a lot of poeple. I really do think playing at unlocked framerates makes the stuttering a lot worse.

Also can i just ask, the opeining area/biome, is it supposed to be that dark?. Its so dark its hard to see lol.

VN1X

Banned
Played this a bit. Can't maintain 60fps in the benchmark, goes down to about 40 at the worst moment no matter the settings, so I guess I'll lock it to 30 and stick with Epic settings.

Doesn't look so epic tbh. Also got some flickering like texture z fighting here and there (mostly seen in the scene getting close to that first body), some weird loding of shading shifting around pretty massively as you advance and many assets change lod way too closely and abruptly too.

I seem to get some micro stuttering too when just doing stuff with not much happening, the benchmark didn't show it, just when I start shooting or boost around Idk, I don't have a fps counter on outside the benchmark but it just seems to hitch for a fraction of a 2nd, I can feel it.

The game seems alright. I need to re-start it and actually watch the intro cos I skipped all that, O should have known it'd just plop you in game seamlessly.

Not much story to it I take it? Since it throws the twist like, right away on who's that first dead astronaut etc. Then again that part justifies the whole gameplay style.

Also, this lady can obviously just squeeze through the bars of the giant gates you unlock. Noone noticed that?
There's a ton of story that's told throughout as you progress.

Also it would help if you listed your specs with regards to the performance you mentioned in your post.

Puscifer

Gold Member

I kinda like that, Housemarque is an extremely "gamey" studio and they keep the momentum going. It honestly wasn't even an issue for me on PS5 till you mentioned it lol

Top Bottom