• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal has sold around 560,000 copies

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Its a fantastic core gameplay loop however the save system and progression system sucks ass for most people. I gave up after biome 2, dont have hours at a time to play unfortunately with a family.

That's where I ended up and my ultimate thoughts. And I don't even have a family yet, just a fiance, and even that prevents me from being able to endure a four or five hour single-siting run or try to rely on sleep mode to same my progress (which failed me as, in this heat wave, brownouts or random but brief losses of power are more common).

I don't see what's so hard or controversial about adding a save. I mean I could spit ball it but I'm no game designer: one finishes a biome and they save - done. I had to really give some thought to that one but I think it could work.

So I’m in postgame now and it took me circa 5h biome 1-3 run thoroughly exploring every single nook and cranny, fighting all enemies and those special star doors. And beating Nemesis again for a good measure. It was definitely not my intention to sit that much but I couldn’t quit because I was so buffed and it was such a joy to kick those scumbags in B3, now with ease.

So yeah, definitely not a game for everyone, especially for those people that have half an hour to hour free play time every day. It sucks but I appreciate the courage to create something like this in today’s day and age. And AAA title at that.

Last edited:
I've been playing it for a couple of days now. I think it's an amazing game, BUT maybe too hard?
I'm at the third biome. Every run I manage to go a little further. But then I die and it's so demoralizing to lose everything.
I need a different game to be my happy place.

This game is so much different from Sony's usual style of games. It will never be as successful as HZD or GoW.

Rinnegan

Neo Member
Wonder how many copies came from the bundles, here you couldnt buy a PS5 without Returnal for over a month and those copies almost instantly went on trading apps cause nobody wanted them and they were being sold for like half off within a week.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

It's pretty interesting to see these sales numbers.

PS5 has 3 exclusives? Ratchet & Clank, Demons Souls and Returnal.

They've sold 10 million consoles but it seems like a large majority of the next-gen console owners are just using them to play last gen games.
I don't see the problem, Ratchet, Demons Souls and Spider Man have sold very well.

Oher cross gen games like RE Village are more appealing than Returnal plus it was released at a cheaper price. It was still a new game

ClosBSAS

An install base of 10 million compared to an install base of 100 milion + and don't forget one has only been out for a couple of months while it took the other a couple of years and a PC release to reach that benchmark.
10 million? Wtf . I dont see more than 5 ppl playing demons souls. Where is everyone? Nobody plays demons right? Or they already beat it...

Goalus

Try writing all the numbers from 1 to 5.6% and you'll realize then that's it's a pretty yuge number
If you include rational or even real numbers, it will indeed be a massive amount of work even getting to 5.6.
560k will look like a number from another planet in that case.

It's a rogue-like with a not so good looking protagonist. Not exactly a stellar game that will appeal to the masses, besides being overpriced. Sony saying the game did well was only because they expected it to sell poorly considering the genre however that does not mean it sold enough. Its price will drop a lot more in the coming months. Thats when I'll grab it.

tommib

It's a rogue-like with a not so good looking protagonist. Not exactly a stellar game that will appeal to the masses, besides being overpriced. Sony saying the game did well was only because they expected it to sell poorly considering the genre however that does not mean it sold enough. Its price will drop a lot more in the coming months. Thats when I'll grab it.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, PlayStation will not be lowering prices. Prices will stay high for much longer than expected. They’re pulling a Nintendo on their prestige PS5 games, which Returnal belongs to. You better stay sitting if you’re waiting for the digital version to drop in price apart from intermittent sales. Physical copies though can be found for your acceptable expectations.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, PlayStation will not be lowering prices. Prices will stay high for much longer than expected. They’re pulling a Nintendo on their prestige PS5 games, which Returnal belongs to. You better stay sitting if you’re waiting for the digital version to drop in price apart from intermittent sales. Physical copies though can be found for your acceptable expectations.

Returnal has been on a 25% sale two times in the last month, once on the 25.06 and second 21.07 and going. Facts speaks for themselves. https://psprices.com/region-ro/game/4336084/returnal

No other "premium" game has had 2 sales in less than a month. Keep dreaming while I'll be getting this at half the price in the coming months.

Last edited:

tommib

Returnal has been on a 25% sale two times in the last month, once on the 25.06 and second 21.07 and going. Facts speaks for themselves. https://psprices.com/region-ro/game/4336084/returnal

No other "premium" game has had 2 sales in less than a month. Keep dreaming while I'll be getting this at half the price in the coming months.

It had the same sales than demon’s Souls and miles morales and at the same time. You need to drink less:

It had the same sales than demon’s Souls and miles morales and at the same time. You need to drink less:

You do realize Demons Souls is also a niche just like Returnal right, a game that most likely did not touch a mil in sales. Miles Morales is not a PS5 exclusive, it's also not a huge title. It also launched last year. Again, stop being a numbskull.

tommib

You do realize Demons Souls is also a niche just like Returnal right, a game that most likely did not touch a mil in sales. Miles Morales is not a PS5 exclusive, it's also not a huge title. It also launched last year. Again, stop being a numbskull.

Again, sit waiting for a major drop in price. Or better. Keep waiting for it to appear as PS+ game. Anyway, you’re just missing the game of the year. Whatever.

Miles morales is not a huge title? You heard it here first gentlemen. Although I don’t even know what that has to do with Returnal sales. Again, Returnal had sales at the same time all other PS5 exclusives had. Get over it. Go cry in a corner because a game with a middle-aged woman protagonist is the best game you could play this year.

Last edited:

JaksGhost

Still a “premium” game that never received an official discount until the same two previous sales. Stop goal shifting and stay on track. Also Miles Morales isn’t a huge title?! The same game that has sold over 6.5 million copies with a majority being on next-gen? That Miles Morales you say. 🤔

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
lol....what? It sold 2 million + copies this year, and the year before that was it's best year ever...
MILLIONS.
Plural.
I don't even know why I have to explain this.

It wasn't selling nearly 2 million copies in a single year when it was on ONE platform, yet they still continued to produce more MLB titles.

This is why you have to READ what I'm telling you.

MLB The Show 21 is one of the best-selling titles in the series and it sold 2 million on two platforms to date. The sales have been lower going sevearl entries back.

This means if MLB was only selling around 1 million copies on a single platform within a single year, then that means it would have been considered a flop by many people's standards.

Last edited:

coffinbirth

I don't even know why I have to explain this.

It wasn't selling nearly 2 million copies in a single year when it was on ONE platform, yet they still continued to produce more MLB titles.

This is why you have to READ what I'm telling you.

This means if MLB was only selling around 1 million copies on a single platform within a single year, then that means it would have been considered a flop by many people's standards.
SMH

The only sales figures available for previous years are for PHYSICAL SALES ONLY...unless you think 1-1.5 million physical copies of a game somehow didn't also have AT LEAST 50% digital sales, I don't know what to tell you.

Sony's statement regarding MLB The Show didn't say it was the BEST selling year for the franchise, they said it was the FASTEST selling.
I mean, you realize this game has only been out for a few months, right?

That all goes without saying that a massive chunk of profits from this franchise for several years has been MTX anyways...

TrebleShot

Its a fantastic core gameplay loop however the save system and progression system sucks ass for most people. I gave up after biome 2, dont have hours at a time to play unfortunately with a family.
I hear ya, again I don't have a family but a GF who I live with, its just a really odd choice in this day and age where peoples attention spans are fairly short.

Also I read alot about people being buffed or really over powered, I NEVER have that experience, got through most of Biome 2 and am always under-powered I also explore alot and tried to make it easy for myself by making myself really powerful.

Its just not fun or enjoyable to play through the game and spend a good hour or 2 getting to a certain point to be fucked over by the random drops and enemy encounters, the only game I played like this before was Spelunky on Vita which seemed more balanced.

I think the gameplay and atmosphere is brilliant I just can't be arsed with the "HXCORE GAMER" angle, they should slap a "casual" or "traditional" mode in there and id finish it and maybe platinum it.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
SMH

The only sales figures available for previous years are for PHYSICAL SALES ONLY...unless you think 1-1.5 million physical copies of a game somehow didn't also have AT LEAST 50% digital sales, I don't know what to tell you.

This is MLB The Show where the vast majority of sales come from the US. This has been the case for years. This year MLB The Show debuted 20th in Europe in digital sales on the PS5 and didn't chart on the PS4. As I said from the beginning - MLB didn't sell massive numbers are some people may think in previous years.

Sony's statement regarding MLB The Show didn't say it was the BEST selling year for the franchise, they said it was the FASTEST selling.
I mean, you realize this game has only been out for a few months, right?

That all goes without saying that a massive chunk of profits from this franchise for several years has been MTX anyways...

I made this clear several times that I'm not talking about this year's MLB The Show sales, so this is irrelevant.

coffinbirth

This is MLB The Show where the vast majority of sales come from the US. This has been the case for years. This year MLB The Show debuted 20th in Europe in digital sales on the PS5 and didn't chart on the PS4. As I said from the beginning - MLB didn't sell massive numbers are some people may think in previous years.

I made this clear several times that I'm not talking about this year's MLB The Show sales, so this is irrelevant.
Shouldn’t you be in Tokyo?

tommib

For the fans, a nice video showcasing where the Hyperion boss fight melody comes from (if it wasn’t clear). I love that the whole game revolves around Don’t Fear the Reaper which was playing during the car accident. World building and lore in this game is fucking outstanding. Game of the year, for sure. Can we at least agree Returnal has the boss fights of the year? Nothing comes close.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
I stand by what I said when I said (in a different thread) that the ps5 only releases are SMALLER budget titles compared to the ones that are releasing on both ps4 & ps5 (horizon 2/gow2/gt7)

Like Demon Souls, Returnal, Ratchet, what would explain why Sony sees Returnal as a mega success with 560k units.

And that's pretty cool, as it shows they can do some pretty cool stuff on a smaller budget, wonder if I get a snarky comments thrown my way again this time though lol

tommib

I stand by what I said when I said (in a different thread) that the ps5 only releases are SMALLER budget titles compared to the ones that are releasing on both ps4 & ps5 (horizon 2/gow2/gt7)

Like Demon Souls, Returnal, Ratchet, what would explain why Sony sees Returnal as a mega success with 560k units.

And that's pretty cool, as it shows they can do some pretty cool stuff on a smaller budget, wonder if I get a snarky comments thrown my way again this time though lol

Thing is, I don’t see anything smaller about DS, Returnal or Ratchet. they all look like sky rocket high production value games. Until we know the budget for these games, it’s all speculation. I do remember reading Edge review drooling over the production of Returnal:

4Qwntjq.jpg

What I see is a lot of people undermining these games because they’re not open world or don’t have endless cutscenes. To play Returnal and not see that was a very expensive game to make is kind of blind and biased honestly.

Top Bottom