• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal |OT| Live. Die. Repeat.

Do it! It's just like riding a bicycle. You still have it in you!

Believe Jason Sudeikis GIF by Apple TV
I started to play Sekiro after a short break (yes that one too, but I haven't finished it yet) and I'm doing pretty well in it.

Let's see if I can get myself back in the saddle.

saintjules

The Suspend Cycle function creates a save that, when you resume it later on, is deleted, which means you can't keep reusing the save over and over again. Only, you sort of can. Once you use Suspend Cycle, you can hop out of the game, upload the save to the cloud, and then continue. When you die, you can just download that save and pick up where you left off. Suddenly, you've got infinite chances to progress your run further, if you can be bothered to go through the extra steps.

2AdEPT

some poeple saying this is an indication of DLC annoucement? I dont see it but explain away if I missed something?

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned

Returnal
This eerie time-loop sci-fi game is one of the greatest and most darkly fascinating third-person shooters ever. Running, jumping and shooting your way around its desolately beautiful planet feels so good that you don’t even mind restarting from the beginning every time you’re killed by one of its ominous alien life-forms. It’s intimidating, and requires a lot of your time, but the rewards are great. A rare game that remains as intelligent and compelling as it first appears to be.

What we said: “Forget about seeing the end. Once you do that, you can lose yourself in the near-infinite pleasure of the movement and combat, and the near-infinite mystery and creeping horror of Atropos. Every try is different, and yet also the same. But, with the right mindset, you can find meaning and pleasure in that instead of despair.”

How's the Returnal community doing? I haven't been playing for a while because atm I'm playing Deathloop, Sekiro (new game+) and Kena.

I think Deathloop does something better than Returnal e.g. the feeling of getting new abilities, guns and upgrades. It's not as hc as Returnal and dying doesn't feel nearly as punishing.

I think Housemarque does the gameplay loop (no pun intended) and the combat a lot better. I can't wait for Housemarque to make their next third person shooter.

Both games utilize Dualsense great!

Last edited:

Sygma

Been playing it since these last two weeks and the difference between the disc unpatched and 2.0 is so monumental it doesn't feel like the same game at all. Unpatched : utter joke and probably the easiest "rogue like" out there

Patched : you don't get damage augment per adrenaline level at all, max integrity fabricators are way nerfed, healing tombs / second life device takes way more important ressources - commitment, levels are streamlined (huge chunks of them simply don't exist any longer) and there's way less enemies to deal with too

Two very different games

Tomeru

I only have 3 biome survey trophies left for the plat, but man is the grind getting to me. I shouldve done the first three biomes first... Its so boring with low level weapons...

engstra

Really need to find the time to try out the new content. Don't care too much about an endless challenge mode but it still is a new environment with some story elements.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
I did. I think it does look better but I didn’t see anything in the marketing about an upgrade. Could just be that we haven’t played in a while
Most likely since an upgrade in the rendering technique or upscaling would have been mentioned. I just thought about your post in the first minute of playing the DLC and questioned myself.

FrankWza

Most likely since an upgrade in the rendering technique or upscaling would have been mentioned. I just thought about your post in the first minute of playing the DLC and questioned myself.
Yeah I wonder if it’s possible that a firmware update could have made an overall improvement in the time since I’ve played it? Or that game update that added suspend.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Hadn't played the game for 5-6 months I guess. Booted up Returnal today to see how the Sisyphus mode is. That mode is fire :messenger_fire:

Reached Phase 3 Room 6 in the first attempt. I am still worthy 🥺

SR2kntO.jpg

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Are there new weapons?
Or will I forever use the amazing rotgland lobber ?

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Are there new weapons?
Or will I forever use the amazing rotgland lobber ?
There is at least one new "weapon". It works differently though: like d-pad consumable items but then you fire with your weapon, and the effects are combined.

That has weapon has different variants, e.g., one would act as trackerswarmer; another would act like a laser.

[Sigma]

Meh I hate falling off cliffs and die like that lol. Getting back into it. Let my multiplier start to fall after phase 4 started. Need to work on that. Only need 7 more disgorgers kills for that trophy and i'll be done completed the dlc trophies. I want to at least come close to 100,000,000. So yeah I need to work on keeping that multiplier up.

Returnal-20220328041336.jpg

Last edited:

[Sigma]

Dreadbound party might be over boys. I didn't depend on it anyway:messenger_smiling_with_eyes:. Looking forward to seeing what they do with the balance, hopefully it gets tougher a earlier on too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom