• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal PC port seems imminent. Bunch of updates to Steamdb entry.

NikuNashi

Great, if someone can mod it so that you don't have to restart at the beginning every time I might pickup where I left off at Biome 2.

bender

What time is it?
I played Blioodborne for over 200 hours and couldnt give a shit about the frame pacing. Game was a masterpiece
Didn’t notice it on Mario Kart 8 either lol

I think I'm immune to it too, fortunately. I get it though as there are certain things that bother me like screen tearing.

Kokoloko85

I think I'm immune to it too, fortunately. I get it though as there are certain things that bother me like screen tearing.

Yeah screen tearing is way more obvious for me. I get the frame pacing but really had to be shown it first lol

Banned
Is it anything like frame pacing? I remember people being upset with Mario Kart 8 on Wii U and for the life of me, I was never able to notice it.

MK8's framepacing issue was super tiny, 1 mised frame every 4 seconds or some shit. that was basically nothing. you could spot it of course but that wasn't an issue at all, only a technical curiosity.

UE4 shader stutters manifest in framedrops often down to below 10fps every time something new loads in. imagine if you shoot a new weapon in a shooter for the first time and the whole game just crawls to a halt for a second.
then you thow a grenade for the first time and the moment you throw it the fps drops hard, and when it explodes it happens again.

this gets better the longer you play, but never fully stops as new stuff will need to be compiled.

also driver updates and/or game updates can often erase your shader cache and it will start all over again.

in Fortnite on PC for example (even in DX11, most people think this is exclusively a DX12 issue) after literally every driver or game patch I usually have shader compilation stutters for at least the first 2 or 3 matches.

bender

What time is it?
MK8's framepacing issue was super tiny, 1 mised frame every 4 seconds or some shit. that was basically nothing. you could spot it of course but that wasn't an issue at all, only a technical curiosity.

UE4 shader stutters manifest in framedrops often down to below 10fps every time something new loads in. imagine if you shoot a new weapon in a shooter for the first time and the whole game just crawls to a halt for a second.
then you thow a grenade for the first time and the moment you throw it the fps drops hard, and when it explodes it happens again.

this gets better the longer you play, but never fully stops as new stuff will need to be compiled.

also driver updates and/or game updates can often erase your shader cache and it will start all over again.

in Fortnite on PC for example (even in DX11, most people think this is exclusively a DX12 issue) after literally every driver or game patch I usually have shader compilation stutters for at least the first 2 or 3 matches.

MK8 repeated the 59th frame so 1 repeated frame per second.

Thanks for the explanation. I had a similar issue with Stranglehold on my deck. It runs at 60FPS but has massive stutters due to shader compilations which improves the more you play. Not sure why I didn't put 2 + 2 together here.

Banned
MK8 repeated the 59th frame so 1 repeated frame per second.

Thanks for the explanation. I had a similar issue with Stranglehold on my deck. It runs at 60FPS but has massive stutters due to shader compilations which improves the more you play. Not sure why I didn't put 2 + 2 together here.

wasn't it 1 frame every few seconds or so?
I seem to remember that it ran at something like 59.7fps or something along those lines

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
wasn't it 1 frame every few seconds or so?
I seem to remember that it ran at something like 59.7fps or something along those lines

I think the 59th frame is always repeated. Conceptually I understand what frame pacing means but I can never see it so it doesn't bother me.

Banned
I think the 59th frame is always repeated. Conceptually I understand what frame pacing means but I can never see it so it doesn't bother me.

depends on how bad it is, Bloodborne never feels smooth for that reason. you get used to it of course but a steady 30fps would instantly be noticeable in that game I bet

bender

What time is it?
depends on how bad it is, Bloodborne never feels smooth for that reason. you get used to it of course but a steady 30fps would instantly be noticeable in that game I bet

I don't think I'd notice it honestly. Bloodborne at 60FPS, sure. Bloodborne just felt like a 30FPS game to me.

Banned
I don't think I'd notice it honestly. Bloodborne at 60FPS, sure. Bloodborne just felt like a 30FPS game to me.

if you turn the camera you can see the unevenness of the framerate for sure. but I also didn't think it was all too bad.
at least they did that to reduce latency, which ultimately was the right choice imo.
we saw with that modded version DF tested how shit the game would have played if they prioritised even framedelivery

bender

What time is it?
if you turn the camera you can see the unevenness of the framerate for sure. but I also didn't think it was all too bad.
at least they did that to reduce latency, which ultimately was the right choice imo.
we saw with that modded version DF tested how shit the game would have played if they prioritised even framedelivery

I believe it exists, I just don't see it or it doesn't bother me.

tommib

I wonder if they are going to sit on it until next year.
I don’t think they sit on ports. They’re probably waiting for Direct Storage to come out and iron out features as much as possible.

The PS5 game always starts with a short FMV scene. You think they could use these scenes for the shader compilation? I know you know your shit for PC gaming. Just wondering if that could run in the background during FMVs so that the game is as smooth as possible the moment your start playing.

Sony has been releasing way too many PC games in a row. If anything it's hurting them more than anything else right now.
With Miles Morales coming this month and TLOU Remake potentially coming in January when the TV show debuts...this might not be released for a while tbh.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Sony has been releasing way too many PC games in a row. If anything it's hurting them more than anything else right now.
With Miles Morales coming this month and TLOU Remake potentially coming in January when the TV show debuts...this might not be released for a while tbh.
I don't think it'll be an issue. Returnal is aimed a at different public than that of Spiderman or TLOU, imo.

Mister Wolf

I don’t think they sit on ports. They’re probably waiting for Direct Storage to come out and iron out features as much as possible.

The PS5 game always starts with a short FMV scene. You think they could use these scenes for the shader compilation? I know you know your shit for PC gaming. Just wondering if that could run in the background during FMVs so that the game is as smooth as possible the moment your start playing.

They need to allow us to precompile all the shaders before we even start the game. Needs to be in the graphics options.

Last edited:

Midn1ght

The new Star Ocean game had this and people had meltdowns. Their low spec PCs were taking 1-2 hours to do it.
It's not like they can't start the game until it's at 100%. If they can't wait and prefer long loading screens and stutters, so be it.
People complain about anything these days.

Shader compilation should be in every games that needs it.

winjer

Gold Member
The new Star Ocean game had this and people had meltdowns. Their low spec PCs were taking 1-2 hours to do it.

We can't have the industry being hampered by ignorants.
I would easily prefer having to wait 1-2 hours for a game to compile shaders, than having stutter throughout the game.
I can just let the game compile shaders and go do something else for a while.

Mister Wolf

That's their fault for not having enough money to get a good CPU. You get what you pay for. I have Star Ocean on PC. Took less than 30 min to compile for the first time. What I got upon starting the game was a butter smooth experience 95% of the time when entering every single new location. My only gripe with the game is the framerate being capped at 60fps. Overall it's a solid port.

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
I would easily prefer having to wait 1-2 hours for a game to compile shaders, than having stutter throughout the game.

That durante port should be the gold standard for shader compilation. Give users a choice.

Banned

exactly. just think of it like part of the installation process.

but one issue is game and driver updates. usually your shadef cache gets deleted with patches, which would be highly annoying

winjer

Gold Member
exactly. just think of it like part of the installation process.

but one issue is game and driver updates. usually your shadef cache gets deleted with patches, which would be highly annoying

Yes that is a bit annoying, but not a deal breaker.
For example, when I update my GPU drivers, FH5 re-compiles shaders. But it's under 5 minutes and then the game runs smoothly.
I would take a really old, weak CPU to make shader compilation to take 1-2 hours.

Top Bottom