• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RGG Studio director believes Game Pass has contributed largely to increasing the audience size of Yakuza/Like a Dragon series

DaGwaphics

The mistake you're making to assuming MS doesn't care where users spend their time. If players aren't playing a game, then they're not going to invest in another one. It's simple.

This is like the same people who say, "MS doesn't care about sales" stuff. lol. It's a business, they're not going to ignore data that says gamers are not playing their game and then try to make a sequel.

I don't need to discuss this any further. The proof is right there, yet people ignore it.

I already explained that. The user that uses GP to play 5 or 6 single player games a month is more likely to stick with the service than a user addicted to MLB. In one case you have a user that has grown accustomed to utilizing the catalog of games they have access to within the service, the other can easily purchase the game they play and not need the service. GP continually adds new content, as long as you are utilizing the service, it doesn't make a difference to MS if you play 1 game or 10 in that month, though the user that plays 10 is much more likely to stay subscribed.

I never said they wouldn't be looking at the data to determine what projects are worthy of continued investment. But that doesn't have much to do with GAAS games. A single player game can still come and go from the chart and have very solid data behind it (a high % of GP users played it and completed it).

Last edited:

Fbh

I mean yeah, did anyone expecting something else?
Making the earlier entries easily and cheaply accessible on a new platform will always help expand the audience

You just proved my point.

If they're playing for longer then that means they're going to be subscribed for longer.
No, not necessarily.
If single player games drop off the chart after the first month, then that means they're moving on to something else.
Yes, to other single player games.
The likelihood of people staying subscribed goes to GaaS/Multiplayer games. This also includes the benefit of in-game content.
No, that's a different segment of the Gamepass audience.
There's nothing else to be said. GaaS is the driving force when it comes to increasing and maintaining subscribers and that's what they're going to have to focus on.
Nope. A very diversified game portfolio is the driving force for inceasing and maintaining subs. Microsoft understands that and they've been acting accordingly.

Last edited:
I had never played a Yakuza game until they were on Gamepass. Played Yakuza 0 and then it was off to the races. I've now played Yakuza 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 and LAD. It's now one of my favorite gaming series.

Ozriel

M$FT
Attracting is one thing, but KEEPING gamers on the service is another.

This is proven by the most played games charts on all platforms. A successful single player game will remain in the top 50 for a few months and then drop out. However, a successful GaaS title will remain the top 50 for a year or longer.

Again, you're purposely ignoring the point. Read what I told reksveks above. It's not what YOU personally feel, it's about what attracts and keeps players on the service.

You guys love to look at the top 50 most played games list. MLB the show is STILL in the most top 50 games list on Xbox. It's actually on there twice for both Xbox consoles.

What happened to all the day one single player titles that were released on Game Pass? They dropped out.

If a person loves Starfield and MLB The show, but he put in 500 more hours into MLB the show than Starfield, then that means that person will stay subscribed to Game Pass longer because of MLB the show and NOT Starfield.

You keep gamers on the service with a mix of SP and GaaS, adult and family friendly and games across multiple genres.

The gamer in your hypothetical situation isn’t going to stay subscribed just because of MLB. If that were the case, they’d drop the sub and buy the game outright. They’ll stay subbed because they can play MLB, Starfield, Redfall etc on the service, and still use that service to let their kids play Disney Dreamlight Valley or Forza Horizon.

There has never been any sense behind the doom posting about GP becoming full of GaaS

Roberts

I had never played a Yakuza game until they were on Gamepass. Played Yakuza 0 and then it was off to the races. I've now played Yakuza 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 and LAD. It's now one of my favorite gaming series.
Exactly. Same with me. Also, I bought Like a Dragon on the first day, because these games impressed me so much. Would never do it if not for GP.

Last edited:

Bippicaster

Neo Member
I’m one of the people who got into the series because of Game Pass. It’s not a series I believed I’d like enough to make a purchase. But trying it out on game pass was a low bar, and now I really enjoy Yakuza games.

Of course it has. If people are given a game for ‘free’ then some of the people will stick with the series.

The question is whether the increased audience size translates into more sales or whether it becomes more of a ‘subscription game’ for GamePass and PS+ Extra. That’s all it will be for me, at least.

If I’m in a minority that is great for them and they’ve made the right decision, but if I’m part of a majority then that isn’t great as I’m not contributing financially

EDMIX

GP keeping developers happy with the type of exposure and word of mouth you can't get anywhere else.

True, now is that going to translate into actual sales though?

Time will tell.

I think its still great for developers regardless as I'm sure lots of new fans to Yakuza and Persona will continue this series long after they might stop some Gamepass deal or something. Maybe thats the long term goal for them or something.

S StealthGoblin Agreed, I think that likely will be the true test for em.

Last edited:

kevm3

Releasing on another platform we never released on and giving it away for "free" increases audience size?

Noble prize in order for this discovery?

I ended up playing and even buying several games due to gamepass that I didn't want to take a risk on buying, so I'd say gamepass is a great thing for mid to indie developers who want more exposure

Bippicaster

Neo Member
Of course it has. If people are given a game for ‘free’ then some of the people will stick with the series.

The question is whether the increased audience size translates into more sales or whether it becomes more of a ‘subscription game’ for GamePass and PS+ Extra. That’s all it will be for me, at least.

If I’m in a minority that is great for them and they’ve made the right decision, but if I’m part of a majority then that isn’t great as I’m not contributing financially
If you’re paying for the subscription then you’re contributing financially too. Don’t forget the studios also get paid for putting their games on gamepass.

This is just a hypothesis, but I think if a game gets a lot of engagement on game pass, the studio that made it can probably use it as leverage to get an even better deal for a sequel or their next game to be put on game pass.

If you’re paying for the subscription then you’re contributing financially too. Don’t forget the studios also get paid for putting their games on gamepass.

This is just a hypothesis, but I think if a game gets a lot of engagement on game pass, the studio that made it can probably use it as leverage to get an even better deal for a sequel or their next game to be put on game pass.
The amount they get for GamePass or PS+ pales in comparison to a full priced sale, or even a heavily discounted sale. Whole years of sub inclusion are sold for $5 million for a title.

Petopia

Banned
Yeah cause I guess no body wants to own different platforms to play games made way by back when like how Xbox guys are now experiencing p5 royal for the first time.

Roufianos

And yet these games continue not to chart.

I love this series but there's a myth going around that it's suddenly found mainstream appeal.

Petopia

Banned
Cause y'all like that simplified game play now huh I still think this is a cap.
I tried yakuza 1 on ps2 and then y3 on ps3 but it never clicked with me. I downloaded y0 from gamepass and liked it so much that I finished all of them. Take those gamepass $1 sega, no need to thank me.

Petopia

Banned
He ain't wrong.

Same way Gamepass certainly allowed the series to boost its sales, Playstation allowed the series to built a really solid foundation to be what it is today and peek people's interested in it.

It's an amazing series that truly deserves to be played by everyone.

I like the console I support to have exclusives, not gonna deny that, but Yakuza as always been one of the series that I think it truly deserves love and recognition from a much larger audience. It's perhaps one of the few franchises I'm happy it went multiplaform.
You say that but we have people who have been talking smack about games like p5 on Xbox and now theyre glad to have played it on what their own platform. I call that cappin.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
On no. Cheaper games. How Terrible.
Cheaper games would not be terrible, game losing perceived value and having to shift monetisation (affecting game design too) elsewhere is. Look at the wonderful state of mobile gaming on Google Play and iOS App Store for a few examples.
Cheaper for you does not mean cheap to make, but you know this ;). Circle the wagons as per usual if you like, 🤷‍♂️

Corndog

Banned
Cheaper games would not be terrible, game losing perceived value and having to shift monetisation (affecting game design too) elsewhere is. Look at the wonderful state of mobile gaming on Google Play and iOS App Store for a few examples.
Cheaper for you does not mean cheap to make, but you know this ;). Circle the wagons as per usual if you like, 🤷‍♂️
Game design is already shifting. Game pass has nothing to do with it. I mean has Netflix changed movies?

Last edited:

Gobjuduck

Banned
So it’s a win win win. Win for Xbox, sega/rgg, and gamers.

Almost seems like gamepass is a great service, that benefits indies and more niche gaming experience.

Only losers in this situation are console warriors who are losing their niche third party exclusives or the ones not owning a platform with gamepass on it.

Top Bottom