• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RGT: Playstation 5 Pro Is COMING - PS5 Pro Performance, Ray Tracing Innovations, Release Date & Specs

ahtlas7

No doubt the engineering on a pro or slim or 5.2.0 has started. I’m sure Sony have a road map. But, the components have to be ordered years in advance at their current level of demand, right? Or that’s the story they are selling. Plus, the manufacturing tooling time.

Im not giving them the ad revenue, i need a tldr. Also, there is no need for the ps5 pro. The main reason behind the ps4 pro was because 4k screens prolifferated faster than anyone thought they would, and sony didnt want to have low res games on high res screens. The ps5 is already perfectly suited to 4k screens, and i dont think 8k will catch on
Sony and MS undershot with specs last Gen due to the "consoles are dead hype". So they needed mid-gen refreshes.

No need for that this time around. This rumor is dumb.

If anything Sony needs to make a PS5 lite with lower specs to compete with the Series S. Binned PS5 GPUs with the same fast storage as PS5.

Last edited:
Sony and MS undershot with specs last Gen due to the "consoles are dead hype". So they needed mid-gen refreshes.

No need for that this time around. This rumor is dumb.

If anything Sony needs to make a PS5 lite with lower specs to compete with the Series S. Binned PS5 GPUs with the same fast storage as PS5.
Compete for space on the shelves?

Your first sentence complains of underpowered systems. Your last requests Sony make another?

Compete for space on the shelves?

Your first sentence complains of underpowered systems. Your last requests Sony make another?
I wasn't complaining, just stating a fact--PS4 and XOne were underpowered out of the gate. Series X and S dont compete for shelf space.

Instead of Sony tossing bad yields, they can just bin them and make a lower spec next gen machine with the same fast storage. Thus PS5 game design won't be held back by PS4.

A completely new system would be dumb. The best Sony could do is an Elite model with 2 TB of storage.

Last edited:
I wasn't complaining, just stating a fact--PS4 and XOne were underpowered out of the gate. Series X and S dont compete for shelf space.

Instead of Sony tossing bad yields, they can just bin them and make a lower spec next gen machine with the same fast storage. Thus PS5 game design won't be held back by PS4.

A completely new system would be dumb. The best Sony could do is an Elite model with 2 TB of storage.

The demand for a lower cost system is lower than you think, and possibility lower than MS thought given the availability of the S. The Series X production cannot meet the demand, and neither can the PS5.

A lower powered PS would end up next to the S on the shelves. A PS5 game would then be held back by this PS4.75 of yours. Now that approach would be dumb.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Dynamic 4k100fps with VRR. Cant wait!
Tease GIF by Shark Week

mitchman

Gold Member
Development on future consoles is an ongoing process, so it makes sense that they are doing a Pro now as an iterative process. It doesn't mean it will be released this year, though.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
That's not how semiconductors work... like at all.

If they can't get enough 7nm chips because of high competition, they have no chance in hell of getting chips on a more advanced node because the first movers on those nodes, e.g. Apple and HPC vendor, will pay multiple times per wafer what Sony can, or will order 10 times the volume of wafers as in Apple's case.

There is literally no chance of a PS5 Pro anytime soon. The people fuelling this are feeding people BS.
By that logic, AMD will never release any new GPUs because they would get outbid by Apple.

AMD is the one who will be in charge of getting those contracts and Sony deals with AMD. Sony knows AMD's plans for future GPUs and theoretically its possible for Sony to use their leverage for a sizeable share of any future chip production.

By that logic, AMD will never release any new GPUs because they would get outbid by Apple.

AMD is the one who will be in charge of getting those contracts and Sony deals with AMD. Sony knows AMD's plans for future GPUs and theoretically its possible for Sony to use their leverage for a sizeable share of any future chip production.

AMD never competes with Apple for the bleeding edge nodes. So you're reasoning is incorrect. AMD does get outbid by Apple. Every freaking time.

AMD moves to the n-1 node once Apple has moved on to the even newer node.

So when Apple moves to 3nm, AMD will get capacity on the 5nm node. That's how it works. Even AMD cannot compete with Apple on the volume of orders. Apple still orders 5x more chips than what AMD can. And the other companies making up the balance on the bleeding edge nodes are HPC companies selling products where a single chip costs tens of thousands of dollars, so it makes sense for them to be able to pay the obscene costs of getting first-mover position on a brand new node.

Essentially, the HPC companies and Apple are the folks who pay back all TSMC's R&D costs for developing a new process node. And when that node is mature and the next newest node is ready Apple+HPC move on to the next best node and everyone else lags behind.

Last edited:

AllBizness

Banned
They should as there is a market for an expensive high performance console. Sony's gotta be sitting back looking at the average PS5 go for 1k far above retail and know that gamers are willing to pay that much. I wouldn't mind a 1k PS5 Pro if it's worth it. These consoles have the equivalent of PC desktop parts and that's expensive.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
AMD never competes with Apple for the bleeding edge nodes. So you're reasoning is incorrect. AMD does get outbid by Apple. Every freaking time.

AMD moves to the n-1 node once Apple has moved on to the even newer node.

So when Apple moves to 3nm, AMD will get capacity on the 5nm node. That's how it works. Even AMD cannot compete with Apple on the volume of orders. Apple still orders 5x more chips than what AMD can. And the other companies making up the balance on the bleeding edge nodes are HPC companies selling products where a single chip costs tens of thousands of dollars, so it makes sense for them to be able to pay the obscene costs of getting first-mover position on a brand new node.

Essentially, the HPC companies and Apple are the folks who pay back all TSMC's R&D costs for developing a new process node. And when that node is mature and the next newest node is ready Apple+HPC move on to the next best node and everyone else lags behind.
All I am saying is that whatever AMD manages to grab after Apple gets their allocation, Sony could and should be there to buy whatever allotment AMD manages to secure. Yes, AMD could potentially make more money selling GPUs on the black market, but Sony is a customer who will buy 100 million chips from them every gen. That has to give Sony some leverage.

We dont know whats going behind the scenes other than the fact that the 7nm chips are in short supply. If Sony can get in on smaller node sweapstakes, why not? It doesnt even have to be the Pro. It could also be the slim model. The PS3 Slim was out in a little under 3 years.

All I am saying is that whatever AMD manages to grab after Apple gets their allocation, Sony could and should be there to buy whatever allotment AMD manages to secure. Yes, AMD could potentially make more money selling GPUs on the black market, but Sony is a customer who will buy 100 million chips from them every gen. That has to give Sony some leverage.

This is already the case. And Sony is still supply constrained because so is everybody across virtually every performance computing-class process node.

We dont know whats going behind the scenes other than the fact that the 7nm chips are in short supply. If Sony can get in on smaller node sweapstakes, why not?

It's not a sweepstake. We know at least that much. If Sony wanted to move to another node in order to get more volumes, it FAAAAR more likely they'd be able to get capacity on bigger nodes, not smaller ones; and it's not as if there'd be any benefit to that.

Regardless, much of the supply constraints are caused by scarcity in substrates and PCBs, which are independent of ASIC fabrication nodes. So whatever node Sony is on will be supply-constrained.

Hence, my main point is that this is not the time to think about designing and launching a new APU design on a new node. There's virtually zero chance of it happ0ening, whether that be a Pro or a redesigned PS5 Slim APU on a 5nm node (and it would have to be a full re-design because N7P and 5nm are incompatible, with the latter being EUV and the former not).

Tqaulity

You say "weak" i say very very strong if we compare an averege PCs out there.

iyvVEfy.jpg
EXACTLY. I"M so sick and tired of people acting like "THE PC" is a single box with the most powerful hardware available. It's NOT....PS5/XSX are still more powerful than >90% of the PCs people actually are gaming on. And there is still no PC that can match the custom I/O capabilities of the PS5 in particular.

Celcius

°Temp. member
This guy is talking about a PS5 Pro and Sony hasn’t even released VRR support for the regular PS5 lol. And the box says 8K support but Sony still hasn’t added that either. Plus you still don’t have custom themes or the ability to show more than 7 games at a time on the main OS menu. Let’s let them finish updating the regular PS5 first (which is less than 2 years old btw) before dreaming of even newer hardware.

Last edited:

Zuzu

Good, I hope so. Both machines are weak on ray tracing and you're gonna see frame rates tumble back down to 30fps once games built on next gen engines start to arrive. The Matrix tech demo is a foretaste for how proper next gen games are gonna run on these consoles (i.e. 30fps). Mid-gen refresh should enable more performance modes and better ray tracing.

Last edited:

Popup

I swear most of these so called Leakers are the nothing more than flim-flam console clairvoyants, I tell ya, employing the same vague, descriptive tricks in the hope of scoring a hit. Also, everything beyond their own comprehension seems to get waved away under the guise of it being 'too complicated for them to go into in this video'.

The Alien

Banned
Meh.

I dont doubt that either XBox or Sony are working on a Pro version of the now current console. Pretty confident, regardless of some YouTube guy, these are years away.

With supply chain issues and procurement of parts, they can barely get the ones already launched out the door.

sendit

Yes way, 2024 if not 2023.

This makes no sense.

Say there’s a next gen only game that has an optional 60fps mode on base ps5… why couldn’t the ps5 pro have an optional 120fps mode? It wouldn’t look like a last gen game if the other modes don’t.

This is of course assuming there’s no cpu bottleneck.

Are you really asking this? A PS5 Pro would need more than twice the performance power to hit 120 FPS given the equivalent settings if a PS5 game was 60 FPS. 120 FPS is a very stupid goal to achieve given the closed boxed limited budget hardware of a console.

Last edited:
Are you really asking this? A PS5 Pro would need more than twice the performance power to hit 120 FPS given the equivalent settings if a PS5 game was 60 FPS. 120 FPS is a very stupid goal to achieve given the closed boxed limited budget hardware of a console.
Firstly it’s not more than twice, it’s twice.

And if it’s not more than twice as powerful they wouldn’t bother releasing a pro ; ps4 pro has more than double ps4’s gpu power.

Third, 120fps is not a waste, it’s actually a very important milestone for fluidity for a number of reasons such as the kinds of displays we are using these days need that high fps combined with 120hz bfi for truly smooth motion because of their sample and hold nature (lcd, oled even upcoming tech like micro led and qned).

Lastly I am not asking for every game to have an 120 fps mode ; just more games to have it and for the games that do on base ps5 to run at a higher resolution on the pro.

Native 4k is a stupid target if you’re just going to blur it with 30fps every time the camera moves… I hope 60 remains optional throughout the generation at the bare minimum.

An 40fps mode would be OK if the game justifies it with out of this universe graphics but I would prefer 60 at least.

Last edited:

sendit

Firstly it’s not more than twice, it’s twice.

And if it’s not more than twice as powerful they wouldn’t bother releasing a pro ; ps4 pro has more than double ps4’s gpu power.

Third, 120fps is not a waste, it’s actually a very important milestone for fluidity for a number of reasons such as the kinds of displays we are using these days need that high fps combined with 120hz bfi for truly smooth motion because of their sample and hold nature (lcd, oled even upcoming tech like micro led and qned).

Lastly I am not asking for every game to have an 120 fps mode ; just more games to have it and for the games that do on base ps5 to run at a higher resolution on the pro.

Native 4k is a stupid target if you’re just going to blur it with 30fps every time the camera moves… I hope 60 remains optional throughout the generation at the bare minimum.

An 40fps mode would be OK if the game justifies it with out of this universe graphics but I would prefer 60 at least.

Twice the GPU power != twice the real world performance. I'm fully aware of the 120+ FPS benefits. I do agree native 4K is stupid, consoles need a DLSS like solution. However, even a 3090 using DLSS at a sub 4K resolution struggles to hit a constant 120 FPS in many current games.

Twice the GPU power != twice the real world performance. I'm fully aware of the 120+ FPS benefits. I do agree native 4K is stupid, consoles need a DLSS like solution. However, even a 3090 using DLSS at a sub 4K resolution struggles to hit a constant 120 FPS in many current games.
I didn’t say native 4k was stupid, just native 4k at 30fps :p because it’s counterproductive to the high pixel count. I’ve enjoyed a number of native 4k games on my ps5 at 60fps.

But yes it would be nice if consoles had dlss as an option. Alternatively, improvements in temporal upsampling would be appreciated ; Unreal 4’s version is much worse than Insomniac games for example. And some are a lot worse than Unreal 4…

Although not every game should use a temporal solution as No AA, MSAA and smaa 1x provide a more crisp image vs. temporal upscaling and dlss.

Last edited:
Top Bottom