• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RGT: Playstation 5 Pro Is COMING - PS5 Pro Performance, Ray Tracing Innovations, Release Date & Specs

Three

The fact that Sony don't expect hardware revenue increase until at least 2025 but an actual decline I don't think anyone should give much weight to these rumours of Pro based on a random TV manufacturers guess slides and RGT. The Series S I can see them iterating in late 2024 maybe even 2023 but other than that I don't think we will see any midgen news for a while.

akimbo009

Gold Member
New consoles were maxxed on day one. These companies keep pushing the useless resolution war.
Ayoo....

Not at all. Have we really even had a next-gen only game built on newer engines? I guess a couple but no way we've seen the full capabilities of the existing consoles yet.

I'm all for better hardware, but let's actually see something that's convincing we're anywhere near the limits.

Dream-Knife

Banned
New consoles were maxxed on day one. These companies keep pushing the useless resolution war.
Consoles were really strong when they launched, then the 30 series and RDNA 2 came out. That's just how it is. For AAA unoptimized gaming sure they're not going to do 4k with everything. Exclusives will be optimized though. That's really more the fault with consumers continually buying the latest EA, Activision, Ubisoft trash then anything really.

Loxus

A real question should be, why isn't the PS5 Pro released alongside the PS5 like in the mobile market. Waiting years for a Pro model makes zero sense.

PS5 Pro is just going to be similar to what Sony did with the PS4 Pro. Higher clocked CPU/GPU with probably double the CUs.

With cross gen going on as long as it is. Might as well release the PS6 instead of a PS5 Pro, call it the Pro model while still producing the PS5 as a base model.

Do you want a PS5 Pro in 2024 or a PS6 in 2025?

Give me that 16 core Zen 5, 80+ TF RDNA 4, 32GB HBM 3, 3TB, 10 GB/s SSD, $600 PS6/XBX360 in 2025.

akimbo009

Gold Member
You're a walking example of the Dunning Kruger effect....

Every gen the same downright religious secret sauce nonsense from some ppl like a broken record.

Not sure what's up with your aggression here around an unconfirmed rumor from a dodgy source. The new consoles barely have any releases that are built with their specific capabilities in mind. Most games are compromised being shoe horned into legacy gaming engines with development teams split between previous and current gen further reducing optimization or other capabilities these consoles could provide. Many of the games that we would presume to take full advantage of these consoles have been delayed or otherwise compromised due to staffing or COVID limitations making most conclusions difficult to make.

In fact, HW manufacturing capacity is strained at best and unlikely to find relief for several years yet - there is little to no reason to launch anything further until developer have a market size worth developing directly for. I'm skeptical of the foundaries ability to even re-tool at this point until supply chain risks are well addressed. So while it's easy to say "more hardware" is the answer, there is ample evidence that there are more opportunities to invest in software to realize better gaming experiences. (not like you have a choice, there are no pro/super dooper versions on the horizon).

Ps5ProFoSho

Sony is buying Microsoft Sega and Nintendo. PSdream6cubePROseriesZ. Basically a console Turducken. 100TF minimum. I read it on Twitter so you know it's true.

Last edited:

Chiggs

Yeah but we actually had a ton of games for ps4 only before ps4 pro. Now we have demons souls and rathet.thats it

And something about a global supply chain problem/chip shortage, a pandemic, economic downturn and....why bother?

Sony releasing a PS5 Pro in 2023 or 2024 might just be the dumbest thing they've ever done outside of the PS3.

njean777

I see no point to this for Sony ,or MS, on the whole pro model subject. People cannot even get a ps5, nor walk in and get a series X easily. Why even do this? I would draw out this gen as long as possible and be able to properly produce PS6/Xbox Next models in the future and just ignore the Pro moniker this gen.

Haggard

Banned
Not sure what's up with your aggression here around an unconfirmed rumor from a dodgy source.
Huh? this discussion was about the religious beliefs in hidden capabilities of the base machines which not even a current 3090 could live up to, not about the rumour of a possible console pro model which definitely would be nice imho.

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

Ps4 released in Nov 2013 and pro released Sept 2016. 3 year time span. A ps5 pro in late 2023 / early 2024 lines up.
No it doesn't. This gen of consoles weren't built with the same standards as that gen. PS4 and Xbox One were both designed cheaper and weren't powerful for the time because the industry was convinced console gaming was dying. The polar opposite of how this gen started.

sncvsrtoip

No it doesn't. This gen of consoles weren't built with the same standards as that gen. PS4 and Xbox One were both designed cheaper and weren't powerful for the time because the industry was convinced console gaming was dying. The polar opposite of how this gen started.
Tough due to weak rt performance of rdna2 consoles won't age so well imo, refresh is still good idea.

Gaelyon

Gold Member
I can see a "slim" version of PS5 with the same specs, easier to produce. But a "pro" by 2024 doesn't make any sense in today's context.

You're a walking example of the Dunning Kruger effect....

Every gen the same downright religious secret sauce nonsense from some ppl like a broken record.
Oh the irony…

Try finding a more “meaningful” way to argue your point. I can come up with several criticisms of the new-gen consoles and none of them revolve around “not enough bandwidth” or other such nonsense

No game developer has come out and said they were concerned with the power of these consoles (expect for maybe the Series S). The PS5 was literally designed around developer feedback, and the devlopers also had a minimum specification laid out for power requirements of both the CPU and GPU, and including memory bandwidth.

Unless you can bring something a little more substantial than just yammering on about “muhh not enough bandwidth”, your argument is just pointless concern troll.

I’m not at all arguing whether these consoles are underpowered or not, that is a very relative matter and will depend on how developers want to push their game, both on a technical and artistic level. Maybe come back towards the end of this generation, at least that way you can actually base your argument on something more substantial.

OZ9000

Banned
If stuff like this matters to you, just get a pc :p it’s a perfect machine for those who lost the sight of what’s important in gaming !
Unfortunately PC gaming is retardingly expensive.

Probably will need a 4080 to guarantee 4k60

And that will likely cost a £1000 to buy just for a fucking video game card.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
It’s perfectly fine to get a pro Modell out that soon. Apple does that all the time with most of their devices.

Sony sees that people are willing to spend more than msrp for a ps5, so why not get a Modell out with an higher ROI.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
why do you need 4k60 on PC? 1440p is more than enough
i agree. 4K is a waste. i bought a 4K monitor and returned it for a 1440p one. the step up from 1440p to 4K isn't that great for the amount of extra power it needs. i'll be staying on 1440p for many years.

It’s perfectly fine to get a pro Modell out that soon. Apple does that all the time with most of their devices.

Sony sees that people are willing to spend more than msrp for a ps5, so why not get a Modell out with an higher ROI.
right. beef up the cooling, run the chips a bit faster, and charge more. easy money.

I don't need more power. I need better games more often!
i'm waiting for a PS5 Slim and games to justify even buying a PS5. So far the only I can't play on my PS4 is Demon's Souls and that's a 2009 game. I might not even buy a PS5 if Sony don't make any good exclusives that interest me. If we get another From Software exclusive and Persona 6 this gen then that's probably the most likely to push me to get one.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Unfortunately PC gaming is retardingly expensive.

Probably will need a 4080 to guarantee 4k60

And that will likely cost a £1000 to buy just for a fucking video game card.
Yeah probably. For now, 700usd that’s 2 years old, is still over 1k here.
And the best design which is founders edition is like a ghost lol.
It’s so weird I managed to grab one from nvidia on release

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Woah!... What's with all the blatantly ignorant posts in this thread?

I thought Gaf had evolved somewhat, but then I guess ever since the next-gen tech threads were killed, most the intelligent informed posters mostly left this place alone.

Resetera rejects have been oozing back in here for the last few months the quality of discussion has dropped dramatically since 2020/early 2021

rofif

Banned
why do you need 4k60 on PC? 1440p is more than enough
1440p is transitional crap.
Looked bad on a monitor, looks even worse on a tv.
Tbh, even 4k was not enough when I had 27” 4k oled. Now on lg c1 48” it looks amazing but needs TAA.

1440p is only really good with good dlss implementation. So when using 4k tv and running quality dlss setting. Even better than native!

Last edited:

rofif

Banned

It’s not the same. Console was always a comfort and ecosystem for about 5 to 10 years. Having a new one coming each year would be really bad. I would always feel left behind.
Console is about safe even ground for gamers and most importantly devs to code to

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
It’s not the same. Console was always a comfort and ecosystem for about 5 to 10 years. Having a new one coming each year would be really bad. I would always feel left behind.
Console is about safe even ground for gamers and most importantly devs to code to
A new one each year wont happen but every 4-5 years seems a likely window moving forward and late 2024 fits into that 4 year window

Personally I am fine with upgrading every 4-5 years

A real question should be, why isn't the PS5 Pro released alongside the PS5 like in the mobile market. Waiting years for a Pro model makes zero sense.

PS5 Pro is just going to be similar to what Sony did with the PS4 Pro. Higher clocked CPU/GPU with probably double the CUs.

With cross gen going on as long as it is. Might as well release the PS6 instead of a PS5 Pro, call it the Pro model while still producing the PS5 as a base model.

Do you want a PS5 Pro in 2024 or a PS6 in 2025?

Give me that 16 core Zen 5, 80+ TF RDNA 4, 32GB HBM 3, 3TB, 10 GB/s SSD, $600 PS6/XBX360 in 2025.
Because tech improves and gets cheaper over time. Why release 2 consoles with a 2060 and a 2080 when you can get 2080 performance from a much smaller, more advanced and cheaper 3060ti if you wait. Each next gen GPU comes with new features that can be leveraged by consoles as well like how the AMD 5000 series didn't support RT but the 6000 series does. It's inevitable AMD will eventually have dedicated machine learning hardware in some future GPUs, if you stuck to the past you wouldn't have access to these.

The other thing is developing 1 console is super expensive, 2 is even crazier. MS can say fuck it and doit because they are one of the few trillion dollar companies. Sony does not have pockets anywhere as deep.

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

It’s exactly the same with phones. You get software updates for around six years on Apple devices and everything still runs on it.

Haggard

Banned
No game developer has come out and said they were concerned with the power of these consoles (expect for maybe the Series S). The PS5 was literally designed around developer feedback, and the devlopers also had a minimum specification laid out for power requirements of both the CPU and GPU, and including memory bandwidth.

Unless you can bring something a little more substantial than just yammering on about “muhh not enough bandwidth”, your argument is just pointless concern troll.
Mr. Dunning Secret Sauce Kruger talking about substantial argumentation....
That's rich.
It's budget hardware and it will stay budget hardware and that's about the end of the discussion.

Last edited:
Mr. Dunning Secret Sauce Kruger talking about substantial argumentation....
That's rich.

I didn't even evoke the idea of "secret sauces", nor do i have to.

But please carry on plucking narratives from your ass...or from the voices in your head (see what I did there) lol

Haggard

Banned
See what I did there) lol
Spouting stupid nonsense ignoring the last 30 years of hardware and software development since pretty much reply 1.
Well whatever, I have enough near retarded developers at work to live with, I don't need online armchair ones, too. Ignored

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned
i agree. 4K is a waste. i bought a 4K monitor and returned it for a 1440p one. the step up from 1440p to 4K isn't that great for the amount of extra power it needs. i'll be staying on 1440p for many years.

right. beef up the cooling, run the chips a bit faster, and charge more. easy money.

i'm waiting for a PS5 Slim and games to justify even buying a PS5. So far the only I can't play on my PS4 is Demon's Souls and that's a 2009 game. I might not even buy a PS5 if Sony don't make any good exclusives that interest me. If we get another From Software exclusive and Persona 6 this gen then that's probably the most likely to push me to get one.
Difference between 1440p and 4K is huge at large screen sizes.

Which monitor did you buy?

I would say monitors have inferior image quality and processing compared to good quality TV sets.

rofif

Banned
It’s exactly the same with phones. You get software updates for around six years on Apple devices and everything still runs on it.
Absolutely not the same thing.
You can’t compare using a phone to gaming system.
I just use my phone for simple stuff. Of course it works good even after some time but phones also slow down.

Running high end games is different.
What you wish for is hell. New system every year is a nightmare and this would ruin gaming and make customers fools. Just like phone makers made fools of people and whole market with thousand dollar phones each year. Nobody wants that

sankt-Antonio

Absolutely not the same thing.
You can’t compare using a phone to gaming system.
I just use my phone for simple stuff. Of course it works good even after some time but phones also slow down.

Running high end games is different.
What you wish for is hell. New system every year is a nightmare and this would ruin gaming and make customers fools. Just like phone makers made fools of people and whole market with thousand dollar phones each year. Nobody wants that
What are you talking about. Pro units would simply allow for games to run better than base ps5. That’s what pc gaming has been doing forever. PS5 with its performance/ quality modes are already that - just that there would be more options.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Well, I'm no techie, but in just about every other electronics/PC category the manufacturer churns out a good selection of models, and then every year introduces new models. Swap some in, swap some out. The differences in quality and feature set are small. It'll never be a big jump like console generations in 7 year gaps. It'll never even be decent jumps like PS4 Pro and One X.

Even Amazon and Roku probably launch new streaming gadgets every year. And so do toaster makers, anything related to PC, and any fridge maker. I'm sure LG and Samsung can coast on selling the same shitload of fridges, ovens and dishwashers for years before changing it up, but they tweak too.

Yet for console makers, it's one gigantic 7 year stretch of the same thing. If they can figure out how to do upgrade refreshes, let them.

Games seem to scale fine on PC across a million configs. I'm sure game makers can figure out how to optimize a handful of console variations.

IMO, I think anyone who hates revised consoles (even though they probably love everything else gets upgrades every year) is because they'll feel like shit if they buy System A now at power level 100, but then another gamer buys System B at power level 110 next year and then another gamer may buy a system later at power level 120.

So they'll feel left out.

rofif

Banned
What are you talking about. Pro units would simply allow for games to run better than base ps5. That’s what pc gaming has been doing forever. PS5 with its performance/ quality modes are already that - just that there would be more options.
I don’t want more option. I don’t want it to become money sucking pc gaming!!!
List consoles be fkn consoles

Top Bottom