• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Riddick image quality problem...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm planning on at least renting this title upon finishing Thief (though I don't want to rush my Thief experience at all).

Anyways, I've heard talk that the final version of Riddick still suffers from the same issues that plagued the demo version. Essentially, it seems as if the frame buffer effects are simply going berserk and the result is often a VERY blurry and pixelated image. When running in 480p, this makes the game almost DREADFUL looking. There were times when you could actually see this effect changing in realtime simply by STANDING STILL...

So I'm asking, is this problem as severe in the final as it was in the demo? The game certainly seems like it will be a solid title (despite the awful demo) so I AM a bit interested...but this issue concerns me a bit.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
its odd, in that the effect is only in a few places. you can see it in a lot of the cutscenes, and some of the bigger areas at the start of the game, but its not as bad as the demo made it out to be in the final.

IJoel

dark10x said:
I'm planning on at least renting this title upon finishing Thief (though I don't want to rush my Thief experience at all).

Anyways, I've heard talk that the final version of Riddick still suffers from the same issues that plagued the demo version. Essentially, it seems as if the frame buffer effects are simply going berserk and the result is often a VERY blurry and pixelated image. When running in 480p, this makes the game almost DREADFUL looking. There were times when you could actually see this effect changing in realtime simply by STANDING STILL...

So I'm asking, is this problem as severe in the final as it was in the demo? The game certainly seems like it will be a solid title (despite the awful demo) so I AM a bit interested...but this issue concerns me a bit.

It still has the same issues which are apparent during some scenes/levels in the full version of the game. However, in the overall scheme of things, it becomes a nitpick as the game is excellent in both gameplay and graphics. Give it at least a rent. The demo didn't impress me at all, while I was certainly impressed with the full version of the game.

Yeah, that problem still exists in the full game. It seems to be a weird combination of MIP mapping and level-of-detail that kicks in at a certain distance from the camera. Anything up close and at a reasonable distance looks great, but objects and characters that are a little farther away appear distinctly more pixelated than you'd expect them to be.

Your mind will ignore this effect after a bit though. It doesn't detract from the game's overall asskickingness.

Sho Nuff

Banned
I'm playing the game on a HDTV projector, so I'm seeing it during cutscenes, but it doesn't detract from the game all too terribly much.

BTW, THANK YOU Starbreeze for including a true 16:9 mode! It takes a little extra effort to do it, but it's awesome to play in widescreen without having everyone looking all squashed. :D

gunstarhero

BTW, THANK YOU Starbreeze for including a true 16:9 mode! It takes a little extra effort to do it, but it's awesome to play in widescreen without having everyone looking all squashed

What "extra effort" do you mean?

gunstarhero said:
What "extra effort" do you mean?

He probably means that he's happy the devs took the extra time to include the mode. Extra effort would imply optimization, bug testing, etc

Top Bottom