• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rideshare drivers given citizen arrest by SF International Airport officials

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://arstechnica.com/business/201...arrest-by-sf-international-airport-officials/

Officials at the San Francisco International Airport (SFO) say they have been making citizen arrests of rideshare drivers throughout July. Airport spokesperson Doug Yakel told Ars on Tuesday that airport officials have made 12 such arrests since July 10.

Rideshare companies like Uber, Lyft, and Sidecar use mobile apps to help city dwellers find rides in areas where cabs are scarce or expensive. But taxi service is heavily regulated in big cities nationwide, and rideshare companies have ruffled feathers by operating outside of traditional restraints placed on taxi drivers.

Cities like New York and Chicago have made it difficult for rideshare companies to operate, and the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) slapped Uber, Lyft, and Sidecar with $20,000 fines in November 2012 (although the commission later rescinded the fines). In December of last year, the CPUC issued a proposal for examining the legality of the rideshare services, and the commission is expected to revisit the issue sometime this week.

In the meantime, rideshare services excluding Uber, which says it is properly licensed by the CPUC, have been operating in California in a legal gray area. Still, SFO issued a cease and desist order banning Uber, Lyft, Sidecar, and other rideshare services from airport premises in April. After the cease and desist order was issued, airport officials and police began “admonishing” rideshare drivers who dropped off or picked up passengers at the airport, according to CBS San Francisco.

Starting July 10, airport officials began slapping rideshare operators with citizen arrests for trespassing when they were discovered at the airport. “This is not the type of arrest where somebody gets put in jail,” Doug Yakel told Ars. “It's a misdemeanor and it's for trespassing.” Yakel went on to say that the curbside airport police observe and “have the right to question drivers,” if they see anything that appears to indicate ridesharing. Tells include anything from the giant pink mustache that Lyft drivers slap on their car grill to seeing the rider and driver exchange money before the rider leaves. “There could be a variety of different things that [airport police] would be looking for to see if there's a rideshare transaction,” Yakel explained.

At that point, airport police contact an airport official, who writes the rideshare driver a citation for a court date. Yakel said that officials are writing citations under California Penal Code section 602.4, which states that people offering “goods, merchandise, property, or services of any kind whatsoever” on airport property, without the airport's permission, are guilty of a misdemeanor. Yakel told Ars that he didn't know how high the fine for such a misdemeanor might be.

In response to the news of the arrests, Sidecar e-mailed its drivers a warning this morning [emphasis theirs]:

We want to let you know that we are working hard to get this situation resolved ASAP. In the meantime and until the situation is resolved, we are advising that you avoid trips to SFO.

An Uber spokesperson told Ars in an e-mail on Tuesday that "all Uber partners and their drivers utilizing the Uber platform are properly licensed and regulated per the California PUC." The company claimed it does not "know of a single instance of SFO authorities arresting any driver connected to the Uber platform."

The Uber spokesperson went on to write that, "Earlier in the day, the [airport] spokesperson was saying [that] drivers working with Uber had been arrested at SFO. We believe those statements to be false. We will check into whether any drivers have been cited... But if any have, we look forward to a court date so that SFO's abuse of power and public trust can be publicly exposed."

A representative from Lyft was not immediately available for comment.

Not sure how I feel about this overall-but in a way it makes me happy because I hate seeing those stupid fucking mustaches on cars.

Jhriad

Not sure how I feel about this overall-but in a way it makes me happy because I hate seeing those stupid fucking mustaches on cars.

Yeah, who cares about whether or not they provide a valuable service. Fuck 'em for having stupid mustaches on their cars.

KHarvey16

Commercial traffic is regulated on SF airport property for a number of reasons. In order to qualify for grants from the US government to support infrastructure, the airport has to collect reasonable fees for using the facilities commercially. Obviously the wear and tear on the roads and other parts of the infrastructure means they have to be maintained. It's also a method used to regulate the amount of traffic into the airport - commercial taxis and the like have to drop off at a specific location, not curbside.

Wait, so say I was traveling to/from SFO, and my family was picking me up/dropping me off. Airport officials are just gonna stroll up and be all 'hey whatcha doin?'

sangreal

Wait, so say I was traveling to/from SFO, and my family was picking me up/dropping me off. Airport officials are just gonna stroll up and be all 'hey whatcha doin?'

No, but I can see how you might get that impression if you didn't read the article which explains what they're looking for.

Guevara

I think Lyft is pretty shady; it's ride "sharing" with a suggested "donation", and it's just regular people in their regular cars. Using your regular car for livery business is probably not covered by insurance. Oh and if you don't give the right "donation" you get blacklisted. Not exactly how donations usually work.

At least Uber is commercial drivers. It's just a better way to route them and that seems good to me.

Did you pay them?

No, but I can see how you might get that impression if you didn't read the article which explains what they're looking for.

Can I pay them in love?

And I did read it. This bit here was what prompted that.

Yakel went on to say that the curbside airport police observe and “have the right to question drivers,” if they see anything that appears to indicate ridesharing.

They gave certain examples, sure, but that's a slippery damn slope, no?

Also, if I pay my friend there for the gas money, or my family gives me money for the trip, that's technically an indicator? Really?

SupremeEdit: Oh look, Harvey's spoiling for a fight again

KHarvey16

Many people payback the gas and sometimes more to their family and friends.

Which wouldn't qualify them as a commercial operation. Are you going to argue a point relevant to the story?

Can I pay them in love?

And I did read it. This bit here was what prompted that.

They gave certain examples, sure, but that's a slippery damn slope, no?

No. The definition is crystal clear.

devilhawk

Commercial traffic is regulated on SF airport property for a number of reasons. In order to qualify for grants from the US government to support infrastructure, the airport has to collect reasonable fees for using the facilities commercially. Obviously the wear and tear on the roads and other parts of the infrastructure means they have to be maintained. It's also a method used to regulate the amount of traffic into the airport - commercial taxis and the like have to drop off at a specific location, not curbside.
So I pay my buddy 10 bucks to drop me off at the airport, which his taxes likely helped pay for, it is therefore commercial and he should be strung up? Maybe he just has lots of friends that need rides?

i live in new york, and the rideshare companies are not too popular here as far as i can tell. the number of taxi medallions is constrained by the city, to the benefit of medallion holders and the city which auctions them off. i suspect the number of medallions is not TOO far below what the market would bear since getting a taxi at most times in most areas is not too difficult. i have spent some time in SF, and it is by far the hardest city to get a taxi i have ever been to. i can see why these companies would thrive there. i can also see why airports would have a problem with it, since those areas are so heavily regulated.

KHarvey16

So I pay my buddy 10 bucks to drop me off at the airport, which his taxes likely helped pay for, it is therefore commercial and he should be strung up?

Do you think an exchange of money in all cases makes one or both parties "commercial" in nature? Unless anyone here doesn't think the companies listed in the article are in fact commercial entities this argument is silly.

Guevara

Any pictures of these mustaches? All I see are those stupid eyelashes people put on their headlights.

lyft.jpg

devilhawk

Do you think an exchange of money in all cases makes one or both parties "commercial" in nature? Unless anyone here doesn't think the companies listed in the article are in fact commercial entities this argument is silly.
I'm sure no innocent people are being molested in their rideshare witch hunt quest. 100% accuracy. Papers please.

While KHarvey is obviously right that Airport pickups are a valuable commodity and should be purchased, they should be easily available. Lyft should be able to pay a flat fee, and either pass it on to it's drivers or eat it, and lyft drivers should be able to freely pick up passengers. Or the airport could have a carservices toll, or something to both collect revenue and allow increased competition.

The need for competition does not require a municipally backed cab cartel to function and collect revenues.

Goldrush

Not going to be a popular opinion, but, after reading through those companies' website, it sounds like a taxi to me.

KHarvey16

While KHarvey is obviously right that Airport pickups are a valuable commodity and should be purchased, they should be easily available. Lyft should be able to pay a flat fee, and either pass it on to it's drivers or eat it, and lyft drivers should be able to freely pick up passengers. Or the airport could have a carservices toll, or something to both collect revenue and allow increased competition.

The need for competition does not require a municipally backed cab cartel to function and collect revenues.

As far as I know they can obtain the proper permit as long as they use the proper facilities to drop off.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Simple don't tell them a fucking word.

If a non cop tried to put me under citizens arrest they would be in for the fight of their motherfucking lives.

Not going to be a popular opinion, but, after reading through those companies' website, it sounds like a taxi to me.

That's what they are-a Taxi service that tries to squirm out of paying any fees or follow any regulations that other Taxi services are required to do so by law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom