• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridley Scott Pins ‘The Last Duel’ Bombing on Apathetic Millennials

ManaByte

“I think what it boils down to — what we’ve got today [are] the audiences who were brought up on these fucking cellphones. The millennian, [who] do not ever want to be taught anything unless you told it on the cellphone,” Scott said.

“This is a broad stroke, but I think we’re dealing with it right now with Facebook,” Scott added to Maron. “This is a misdirection that has happened where it’s given the wrong kind of confidence to this latest generation, I think.”

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Sure but there's also the part where Robin Hood, Prometheus, The Counselor, and Alien Covenant were not particularly good movies. Last Duel may in fact be a good movie but there's no reason for the average moviegoer to have any optimism after a spotty track record like that.

Doom85

Or maybe realize your name doesn’t hold as much weight given a few misfires from you within the last two decades? I’ve heard The Last Duel was solid, but this is like Shyamalan whining if The Visit had bombed in the box office.

Seriously, the guy who directed a movie (Alien Covenant) focused on characters with the IQ of 10 doesn’t really have any business criticizing the intelligence of a generation over a fucking movie not being seen. You made a film, doesn’t excuse you being a bitch about it.

Also, funny how studio A24 keeps the lights on just fine yet they make pretty much exclusively non-conventional films. Oh, but that doesn’t fit the “all modern audiences are dumb” bullshit narrative, so please don’t pay them any mind, Mr. Scott.

Tschumi

>pause, eyes scan the lines<

>looks up The Last Duel on his movie service<

---

I'm wondering if it's as titanic a GoT ripoff as it looks in stills

Last edited:
I watched it and was entertained throughout. Must be due to my attraction to films with natural white lighting which is something I love. One thing I wasn't a fan of was Ben Affleck's performance, I could barely make out what he was saying.

The-Last-Duel-Actor-Matt-Damon.jpg
60f7407dd66d590001755362_1920x800_FES_v1.jpg
g_thelastduel_8_21551_ea23b1f1.jpeg

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Or maybe realize your name doesn’t hold as much weight given a few misfires from you within the last two decades? I’ve heard The Last Duel was solid, but this is like Shyamalan whining if The Visit had bombed in the box office.

Seriously, the guy who directed a movie (Alien Covenant) focused on characters with the IQ of 10 doesn’t really have any business criticizing the intelligence of a generation over a fucking movie not being seen. You made a film, doesn’t excuse you being a bitch about it.

Also, funny how studio A24 keeps the lights on just fine yet they make pretty much exclusively non-conventional films. Oh, but that doesn’t fit the “all modern audiences are dumb” bullshit narrative, so please don’t pay them any mind, Mr. Scott.
what about Matt Damon's name? how many bad movies has he made in the last ten years? Or Adam Driver? That guy has been on fire. Even Ben Affleck killed it as Batman.

Ridley's last movie with Matt Damon, The Martian was an oscar nominee.

I dont know. I think he's right about this. We talk a big game. We want more than just marvel trash, but we dont walk the walk. I am shocked Dune did well. I fully expected that movie to bomb like Blade Runner.

I am now convinced that the entire reason people watched Game of Thrones was because of the dragons. My first clue that millennials were clueless was when i saw everyone watching it in bars like its a sports event. or in brightly lit rooms either to record their reactions or thats just how people watch this shit nowadays. then they had the gal to complain that they couldnt see shit. yeah, maybe dont watch it in a bar. the bar stuff just screamed like millennials wanting to copy what their parents did in the 90s with Seinfeld.

Movie was great, it is pathetic that audiences didn't support it. Enjoy your non stop super hero movies.
This.

MrMephistoX

Ridley just needs to adjust his mindset: people have gotten used to day and date home delivery on films and they don’t want to go back unless it’s a superior experience to home. Yes in theory the best place to watch a film is in a place like LA where the theater experience is leather recliners and state of the art projection with a nice beer served on tap and meal delivered to your seat but the vast majority of theaters are shitty multiplexes with sticky floors and rowdy kids with laser pointers pre COVID: who wants to go back to that when you can DoorDash a beer and a nice meal and watch a first run film at home?

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I mean, people in general are getting too high off of their immediate dopamine hit instant gratification, it's true. People want payoff without buildup, and it's making the amount of payoff needed to satisfy go up exponentially all the time because we're all ADHD ridden mental patients.

It's like comparing Dragon Ball's Red Ribbon Army arc to the Kid Buu arc. We've already blown up the earth and killed and revived our main character, there's no realistic stakes to keep the audience engaged, to the point where we're now talking about multiverses and shit.

But, to argue the other point

I don't know that the way to convert people into appreciating your work is to call them all stupid, either, lmfao

Bomb how? In views? Well not only is the movie a medieval drama, there's a pandemic out in the world which will at least cut in half the already low viewers of said type of movies. Even in perfect conditions, this kind of movie would've barely made its budget back. The trailers did not do it justice at all, nor did its marketing. It's BS to say Disney is not to blame for this. It most certainly is for almost no marketing at all. I didn't even know this shit launched.

Doom85

what about Matt Damon's name? how many bad movies has he made in the last ten years? Or Adam Driver? That guy has been on fire. Even Ben Affleck killed it as Batman.

Ridley's last movie with Matt Damon, The Martian was an oscar nominee.

I dont know. I think he's right about this. We talk a big game. We want more than just marvel trash, but we dont walk the walk. I am shocked Dune did well. I fully expected that movie to bomb like Blade Runner.

I am now convinced that the entire reason people watched Game of Thrones was because of the dragons. My first clue that millennials were clueless was when i saw everyone watching it in bars like its a sports event. or in brightly lit rooms either to record their reactions or thats just how people watch this shit nowadays. then they had the gal to complain that they couldnt see shit. yeah, maybe dont watch it in a bar. the bar stuff just screamed like millennials wanting to copy what their parents did in the 90s with Seinfeld.

This.

I mean, actors can sell a movie, but it’s not a guarantee. And again, when your director’s most mainstream films of recent time was Prometheus which was a mixed bag and then followed up by a sequel which doubled down on the prior film’s issues, yeah that shit is going to stay in people’s minds.

Another factor Scott is ignoring is how crowded the releases are. So many movies got delayed that would have been out in 2020. Not everything is going to catch fire, just take your licks and move on, but Scott just comes off as a sore loser here.

And I wouldn’t call GOT the best example of a complex show in terms of writing within the past decade, I’d give that to Breaking Bad. Which continually grew in viewer numbers with each passing season despite being a slow-paced character study.

Honestly I’m just tired of generalizing millennial bashing. Shit has gotten old. And ironically when “ok boomer” became a thing, not even a month passed before boomers were like, “hey, that’s enough of that” which is hilariously ironic considering boomers constantly mock millennials for being thin-skinned yet when boomers got a brief taste of that medicine millennials had been dealing with for years the boomers couldn’t handle it. How about that. And funny enough, Scott also comes off as thin-skinned here. Movie underperforms, well “clearly” that justifies bashing an entire generation!

It’s honestly the same tired shit. Boomers got generalized by their prior generation as well. Nobody wants to own up to their mistakes that affect future generations so cue the bashing so said mistakes are less focused on. To quote Battlestar Galactica, “this has all happened before, and this will all happen again.”

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I didn't even realize the movie had been out until it's second week. =P
Yeah and by which time it was already gone from theaters! Blame the studio for failing to push it - I go to see a movie once a week and I never saw a single trailer for it even.

BigBooper

I'll probably watch the bluray someday, but I'm not sure people are generally up for a depressing blockbuster right now.

But yea, what everyone else said is true too. I haven't even heard of this movie before reading this topic.

Last edited:

sol_bad

If you want more than the usual MCU fair (which everyone here knows I absolutely love) you need to seek out and support movies in the gennres you like. Hell, even support Netrflix movies at the cinema if you can.

Movies that have my interest over the next few months.

Blue Bayou
Tick Tick ... Boom
Cry Macho
Best Sellers
Titane
Dune
Encanto
The Card Counter
Don't Look Up
The French Dispatch
Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City
Spider-Man: No Way Home
The Lost Daughter
Matrix Resurrections
West Side Story
Ghosdtbusters Afterlife
House of Gucci
The 355
The Kingsman
King Richard
Scream
Spencer
Morbius
Black Phone

That is a lot of variety of films just in the next 2 and a half months. I'll try and support as many of them as I can depending on screening times. Some are Netflix films but I'll watch them at the cinemas if I can like I did with Red Notice.

If you want more than the usual MCU fair (which everyone here knows I absolutely love) you need to seek out and support movies in the gennres you like. Hell, even support Netrflix movies at the cinema if you can.

Movies that have my interest over the next few months.

Blue Bayou
Tick Tick ... Boom
Cry Macho
Best Sellers
Titane
Dune
Encanto
The Card Counter
Don't Look Up
The French Dispatch
The Lost Daughter
Matrix Resurrections
West Side Story
Ghosdtbusters Afterlife
House of Gucci
The 355
The Kingsman
King Richard
Scream
Spencer
Morbius
Black Phone

That is a lot of variety of films just in the next 2 and a half months. I'll try and support as many of them as I can depending on screening times. Some are Netflix films but I'll watch them at the cinemas if I can like I did with Red Notice.
Same here, HUGE MCU fan and I'm interested in most of those movies. The Green Knight and Dune are my two favorite movies this year.

I find Phase 4 to be extremely disappointing

The rest I'm interested from that list

Blue Bayou
Tick Tick ... Boom
Don't Look Up
The French Dispatch
Matrix Resurrections
The Kingsman
Scream
Spencer
Morbius
Black Phone

Yoda

I had no idea it was coming out and when I finally saw marketing for it, it was being marketed as a "historical movie for the MeToo era", which I assumed meant the movie would shove far left politics down my throat (don't actually know if this is the case, but the marketing seemed to want me to think so).

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I like it when they blame the Millennials.
Makes me feel young again....even though a cellphone wasn't something I had or was widespread until my late teens/20's
But this is why we shouldn't be people like me shouldn't be called Millennials, I mean the term didn't even exist 1989 so why are people born before then considered Millennials?
Maybe he still thinks Millennials are the youngest Generation still?
Then again... With young Millennials he might have a point..

I had no idea it was coming out and when I finally saw marketing for it, it was being marketed as a "historical movie for the MeToo era", which I assumed meant the movie would shove far left politics down my throat (don't actually know if this is the case, but the marketing seemed to want me to think so).
Why it failed thankfully

Sorry, but I used my hard-earned money seeing Dune in theaters. The movie didn't look interesting, and I barely saw any advertising for it. The Last Dule had a lot of competition to go up against.

Funny how he blames Millenials because this millennial fucking loves Alien and has seen many of his movies.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Sorry, but I used my hard-earned money seeing Dune in theaters. The movie didn't look interesting, and I barely saw any advertising for it. The Last Dule had a lot of competition to go up against.

Funny how he blames Millenials because this millennial fucking loves Alien and has seen many of his movies.

I was gonna say…technically I’m a millennial and I love a lot of his movies. But also millennials have kids and jobs and I can’t remember the last movie I actually watched in a theater. It might’ve been Star Wars 9

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Matt Damon and Ben Affleck casting was bizarrely awful. I'll watch this when it hits streaming but movies in general haven't excited me in some time. I'm trying to think of the last movie released that I thoroughly enjoyed...Hell or Highwater in 2016?

Malakhov

Banned
Never heard about this movie up until now, looks very good. Marketing and lack of theater visits is to blame, although he's right about millenials.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Matt Damon and Ben Affleck casting was bizarrely awful. I'll watch this when it hits streaming but movies in general haven't excited me in some time. I'm trying to think of the last movie released that I thoroughly enjoyed...Hell or Highwater in 2016?
They were both brilliant in this movie. Adam Driver too.

People in this thread actually saying Ridley Scott is a bad film maker? Lolol

Amiga

Did little more than bank on names. and I didn't even know RS was the director until this thread. And the theme was done plenty. Rob Roy was similar but in a different era. Braveheart had a similar incident as the trigger. What was different about this movie? why not communicate that instead of bitching.

Old Hollywood is just used to being the center of attention by default. today people have a lot of constant information at their hands so they need to actually work for it for a change.

Enjay

Banned
So it's the audience's fault movies and are shit nowadays. Also directors and producers with fond memories of their last experience need to realize that movie theaters without red carpets and approved paparazzi are on the average a shit experience. Streaming has won.

Top Bottom