• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridley Scott Pins ‘The Last Duel’ Bombing on Apathetic Millennials

Mossybrew

I'm a lazy gen-Xer but I would never watch a movie on my phone. And I don't go to the theater really anymore either, so I'll take the lazy way and catch this when it eventually streams somewhere.

Cattlyst

Never heard of this movie. Just looked up the trailer though and it looks pretty legit. Might have to give this one a watch…when it ends up on Netflix so I can stream it on my cellphone 😅

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I was going to see it but then I didn't so I'm part of the problem. Love this guy's films though. Even his misses have merit. Making Alien, Blade Runner and Legend back to back to back made him a favorite of mine forever.

VN1X

Banned
Would love to see on the big screen but 1. I've not seen it promoted anywhere (didn't even know it was out?) and 2. I would be required to take a test, wait for a negative result, do the QR code thing and yeah fuck all that noise lol.

Kenpachii

Movie looked dull as hell to me so didn't bother.

Also i saw no commericals or anything for the movie, its almost like it never released.

Last edited:
It also bombed because it was described as a feminist medieval movie. And we are tired of seeing shitty feminist movies where men are evil and women are good/victims, with simplistic scripts.

I read this movie is actually interesting, so it is failing because of all the other shitty feminist movies that came before it. Maybe word of mouth will make it perform better later in the cycle and have some legs.

I kinda want to see it now.
I still don't due to the movie being a feminist film. So glad it bombed

BigBooper

Dude... It's based on actual history.
I wonder... The actual history was a he said she said argument. Does this movie keep that, or do the show/imply the rape? Doesn't really impact whether I'll watch it or not, because if Ridley Scott directed, I almost certainly will.

If anyone knows, feel free to answer in a spoiler please.

plushyp

I wonder... The actual history was a he said she said argument. Does this movie keep that, or do the show/imply the rape? Doesn't really impact whether I'll watch it or not, because if Ridley Scott directed, I almost certainly will.

The full truth and details are lost to history but the movie is based on a book suggesting she was in the right rather than the squire.

Sounds more like a he said she said thing

Last edited:

sol_bad

Sounds more like a he said she said thing

That's exactly what it is, a he said / she said scenario.

The movie shows you the story from 3 points of view, Matt Damon, Adam Driver and Jodie Comers point of view.
From Matt Damon's point of view Adam Driver is an arse hole.
From Adam Driver's point of view Matt Damon comes across as a loser idiot.

From Adam Drivers point of view the scene comes across as more "fun" and jovial, although you can still tell that Jodie Comers isn't interested. Where as from Jodie Comers point of view it was a terrifying ordeal. Then you have Jodie Comers informing her husband about the rape, from Matt Damon's view point he comes across as a "hero" standing up for his wife. From Jodie Comers viewpoint he comes across as a prick and the proceeding scenes are done for his own gain, not his wife's.

For the final battle I really wanted Matt Damon to win, not Adam Driver. I won't say who wins here. :)

Last edited:
That's exactly what it is, a he said / she said scenario.

The movie shows you the story from 3 points of view, Matt Damon, Adam Driver and Jodie Comers point of view.
From Matt Damon's point of view Adam Driver is an arse hole.
From Adam Driver's point of view Matt Damon comes across as a loser idiot.

From Adam Drivers point of view the scene comes across as more "fun" and jovial, although you can still tell that Jodie Comers isn't interested. Where as from Jodie Comers point of view it was a terrifying ordeal. Then you have Jodie Comers informing her husband about the rape, from Matt Damon's view point he comes across as a "hero" standing up for his wife. From Jodie Comers viewpoint her comes across as a prick and the proceeding scenes are done for his own gain, not his wife's.

For the final battle I really wanted Matt Damon to win, not Adam Driver. I won't say who wins here. :)
Still skipping it

Stuart360

Even though Ridley is kind of right, there was nothing about this film that looked appealing really. Basically a court room drama from old times, involving whether or not a woman was raped, and if she liked it or not. I mean yay sounds great lol.

Anywya Ridley films are hit or miss at best, especially in the last decade or two. He's very much in his 'sleepwlaking' stage of his career.

Also although the box ofice is slowly rebuilding back to pre covid time, its really only Marvel movies that are grossing anywhere close to what they would of done pre-covid, and that sucks to be honest.

Tams

Gold Member
Matt Damon and Ben Affleck casting was bizarrely awful. I'll watch this when it hits streaming but movies in general haven't excited me in some time. I'm trying to think of the last movie released that I thoroughly enjoyed...Hell or Highwater in 2016?
No one should ever trust your take on anything if you're willing to judge it without even seeing it.

Edit: Call it name calling, but people like that need calling out. We're not allowed to (mildly) insult them, but they're allowed to keep their terrible views up...

Last edited:

Alcibiades

I still don't due to the movie being a feminist film. So glad it bombed
I didn't really see it that way having watched the movie. The subject matter on a meta-level maybe, but at no point does anything happen that seems out of place for the time period. Even the duel itself is the ultimate "man standing up for wife's honor" where basically men determine the outcome and the women have no agency. On a general level you could say the accuracy of the time period reflected is an indictment on the male, chauvinistic culture at the time, but you could say the same for The Godfather or like 90% of period pieces ever made that show women treated to a lower status.

It's a dour, slow, and sometimes uncomfortable film and like I said the subject matter may be "me-too"-ish, but I can't see ultra feminists enjoying much about it.

Last edited:

Scotty W

That's what I was thinking - they maybe would have made a little bit more interesting by throwing hints that the whole thing was made up (historians do not seem to agree here), but I imagine a potential backslash over 'putting women as false accusers of rape' might have them quickly forget about it.

If you read Homer carefully, you will see that one of the keys to it is the ambiguity around the rape of Helen. It is never clear what really happened, and this uncertainty deepens both poems immensely, since as the inciting incident, it can change the meaning of the whole work. If it is good enough to be the foundational work of western civilization, I would argue that it is still good enough for 2021.

Fbh

I'm a lazy gen-Xer but I would never watch a movie on my phone.
Pff, amateur

chris-chriswashere321-watching-dunkirk-the-way-christopher-nolan-intended-35738155.png

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Every time someone over the age of 40 says something slightly controversial nowadays you get all the kids going "just a boomer shouting at the clouds lol".

Truth is, he is a legend and is completely right. Go to hell kids!

Found the boomer!

(Insert gif here that protects me from creating my own ideas)

Even before Covid hit, I was preferring to watch movies at home. I imagine since the pandemic many are opting to do the same because it's cheaper and safer.

There's a few reasons I prefer it:

1) You can pause when you want. Budging past people to go to the bathroom isn't fun during the movie.
2) Snacks are a lot less expensive, and you have more options.
3) Not having to deal with external noises. I find myself more immersed when I'm at home and not surrounded by people.

The only thing the cinema really has going for me these days is the big screen experience. I'll make an effort for movies like the new Matrix coming out, but the marketing has to be good and grab me. I echo the above of not hearing a lot about this movie.

A. Picked the wrong year to expect people to flock to the movie theaters for a medieval movie.
B. Streaming options are at an all time high and much cheaper alternative.
C. He’s burned a lot of us on previous movies this last decade, so faith in his offerings isn’t at a peak.

…..(Insert Principal Skinner Library Meme Here——>……..)

Butch_0451

How about you take responsibility and admit there was a casting mistake. I couldn’t take Matt Damon and his accent seriously in this.

sol_bad

Even though Ridley is kind of right, there was nothing about this film that looked appealing really. Basically a court room drama from old times, involving whether or not a woman was raped, and if she liked it or not. I mean yay sounds great lol.

Anywya Ridley films are hit or miss at best, especially in the last decade or two. He's very much in his 'sleepwlaking' stage of his career.

Also although the box ofice is slowly rebuilding back to pre covid time, its really only Marvel movies that are grossing anywhere close to what they would of done pre-covid, and that sucks to be honest.

It's definitely not a courtroom drama. The courtroom scene is probably 5% of the whole film.

fatmarco

The real success of this film I felt was how close it sticks to the historical facts/ testimonials. Very little of it strays from what we know of the events.

The only real obnoxious historical inaccuracy I guess was the helmets in the duel, but they were done that way so you could see their faces.

But the truth is having something not be compromised by contemporary issues or anachronisms is really a breath of fresh air, even if the movie maybe doesn't reach its full dramatic potential.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I haven't seen it yet. Hope it gets a steelbook release. The standard was up at Best Buy a week ago but they removed the listing for some reason. I'll see it when it comes out on physical.

mekes

I'll totally watch it on my 6.7" screen in 2022.

Jokes aside, I bet the movie is great. I still love Ridley. But I didn't even go to the cinema for Dune. I was glued to Dune when I watched it at home, it didn't feel a minute over 90 minutes long despite being much longer. My attention span is fine. My thirst for good movies lives on. I'm actually looking forward to seeing this.

Excess

Will beg to differ on Prometheus, but only because I think the studio had too much influence in forcing Ridley to add some kind of xenomorph. This was even more apparent with Alien Covenant, which I absolutely hated.

Another movie I heard was shit until the director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven. I still haven't seen the sequel, but now I'm interested.

YCoCg

So House of Gucci has been getting some good reviews and apparently ticket sales for that are doing well, the film has been advertised for a while now, ...and that's also a Ridley Scott movie. Who's he going to blame here as it's most likely millennials who will be watching that one. 🤔

dr_octagon

Banned
Ok Blade Boomer. The guy has liek one successful film and named after a Metroid boss. Take your pills and go to bed, same goes for Chris Nolamb and Denise Vilnew.

Mossybrew

Movie theaters are a niche interest now. Stream this shit, I want to watch it on my 65" on my couch with no annoying fuckers talking, eating too loud, theater sound mix too loud, can pause for pee breaks, just can't compete anymore. Like dude I'll watch your movie when I can in my home, chill.

Top Bottom