• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridley Scott Pins ‘The Last Duel’ Bombing on Apathetic Millennials

Toons

Banned
Its sad to see the older generation contonue on the trends their predecessors did in alien the youth of the world and assuming they were the problem and not reaching out to them. O think something really cool cod happen if one age group didn't just look at the one that came after and say "hey you! F you guys! You should be like us!!" Its really childish, produces zero results and just makes the critiquing party look bad.

Also, seeing a bunch of people on a video game message board agreeing with him..... man. Im in my 20s but I feel like I'm too young to be here now lmao

Last edited:

sol_bad

Movie theaters are a niche interest now. Stream this shit, I want to watch it on my 65" on my couch with no annoying fuckers talking, eating too loud, theater sound mix too loud, can pause for pee breaks, just can't compete anymore. Like dude I'll watch your movie when I can in my home, chill.

LMAO
Niche? What the? You serious bro?

Toons

Banned
The thing that really bugs me about this response is that, by lamenting what the 'kids" are doing instead of watching his movie, hes implying that he knows what these "kids" are interested in.

So then, why make the movie? Like knowing your demographic is a part of effective storytelling. Maybe you should've just not made this movie that no one would wanna see, and then barely market it in the first place?

Its like the other guy said, hes acting like were "supposed " to wanna see the movie. If I make something that has little to no appeal to my market and I know this but make it anyway, its not their fault for not watching it; its my fault for making it when I knew they wouldn't want to.

Scotty W

Its sad to see the older generation contonue on the trends their predecessors did in alien the youth of the world and assuming they were the problem and not reaching out to them. O think something really cool cod happen if one age group didn't just look at the one that came after and say "hey you! F you guys! You should be like us!!" Its really childish, produces zero results and just makes the critiquing party look bad.

Also, seeing a bunch of people on a video game message board agreeing with him..... man. Im in my 20s but I feel like I'm too young to be here now lmao

In a few years, you will hear the kids listening to a new style of music so bad that you will lose hope in humanity. And son’t give me that subjective crap. Music is losing harmony, melody, lyrical depth and originality. We can look back over the past few decades and see the tune wavelength being reduced to monotone. The west is getting stupider and is actively being engineered to be stupider.

People are unable to concentrate or even think. I heard of a guy who, during his wedding, checked his phone while his wife was walking down the aisle.

Consider this. From time immememmorial, each generation has been almost exactly like the next. Only with the development of industrialism do radical changes between generations become normal. The rise of the internet has created the largest split thus far and not for the better.

The real problem of humanity is the following: We have Paleolithic emotions, medieval institutions and godlike technology. -E O Wilson

Yet out tech and our emotions are pulling in opposite directions.

Ridley Scott is one of the last great artists making films. The Counsellor is a great work of art filled with despair for the future of the world. I understand why people hate it, but I also know that they have not understood it. It is not ‘entertainment’ which is meant to be sat thru and smiled at, it is a meditation on a difficult problem which must be fought to be understood.

Anything else is folly.

Ionian

In a few years, you will hear the kids listening to a new style of music so bad that you will lose hope in humanity. And son’t give me that subjective crap. Music is losing harmony, melody, lyrical depth and originality. We can look back over the past few decades and see the tune wavelength being reduced to monotone. The west is getting stupider and is actively being engineered to be stupider.

People are unable to concentrate or even think. I heard of a guy who, during his wedding, checked his phone while his wife was walking down the aisle.

There's plenty of new music out there that isn't on your Spotify or iTunes playlists. It's just people are lazier.

"The west is getting stupider and is actively being engineered to be stupider."

Where are you from? Simply out of curiosity.

Toons

Banned

Consider this. From time immememmorial, each generation has been almost exactly like the next. Only with the development of industrialism do radical changes between generations become normal. The rise of the internet has created the largest split thus far and not for the better.

The real problem of humanity is the following: We have Paleolithic emotions, medieval institutions and godlike technology. -E O Wilson

Ridley Scott is one of the last great artists making films. The Counsellor is a great work of art filled with despair for the future of the world. I understand why people hate it, but I also know that they have not understood it. It is not ‘entertainment’ which is meant to be sat thru and smiled at, it is a meditation on a difficult problem which must be fought to be understood.

Anything else is folly.

Humanity has been advancing since the dawn of time. We've adapted to it. There was a time traveling to another land to meet new people was completely impossible and everyone you'd ever meet or ever know was right in your village. There was a time any ideas you had or thoughts you wanted to communicate needed to be written in one letter sent to one person, or passed down by word. Any philosophy, religion, practice or guide could only be accessed if you personally knew the person who concocted it, or knew someone who knew them. Advancement didn't start in the last 2 centuries, its been happening for as long as we've been here.

All this to say, it doesn't have to be something feared. It comes with negative connotations but also positive ones. Some of us can look to the future without dreading it but seeing it as a new opportunity. Why limit yourself to some nostalgic time in the past? Because things were "better"? Every generation says that. Even when their generation wasn't actually better. Or even if you ignore how you've benefited from the existence we have now. Theres people I hold as dear friends I would've never been able to meet if I lived 200 or even 100 years ago. Passions I wouldn't be able to pursue. Jobs I wouldn't be able to have.

And as for music? There is no rule to music. Just like any other art, I welcome anyone bold enough to experiment. Doesnt meant ill always like it; but if you're saying no good music is being made today you can't be listening to that much. Music is like painting, the notes are brushstrokes and our ears are the canvas. Explore different sounds, different colors of "paint".

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
So House of Gucci has been getting some good reviews and apparently ticket sales for that are doing well, the film has been advertised for a while now, ...and that's also a Ridley Scott movie. Who's he going to blame here as it's most likely millennials who will be watching that one. 🤔
I was gonna say. Nobody talking about House of Gucci here?

Lightjolly

Neo Member
Doesn't advertise movie

Movie bombs because no one even knew this film existed

"Fucking millennials only watching movies that actually market themselves well"

802.jpg

Last edited:

Ownage

Anything else is folly.
ownage

Scotty W

Humanity has been advancing since the dawn of time.
This is not really true, or is deceptive at best. Greek and Roman culture advanced very slowly, and then stopped almost entirely for 1000 years before advancing progressively faster starting in the renaissance.

The more common story is something like the Aborigines, who made a few imperceptible changes every few millenia.

Saying humanity has been advancing conjures up the image of humanity marching lockstep into a brighter future, when in fact a very large percentage of humanity does not want to march and distrusts that future.

All this to say, it doesn't have to be something feared. It comes with negative connotations but also positive ones.

Not so.

We can probably agree that in the long run, Roman colonization of Europe was a good thing. But not for the people who resisted it, who died in their millions trying to resist it.

Did you know there was once a culture in the area of Vietnam call Cham? They were pushed from their land, and now they have nothing. There are many groups of displaced people in the world, who have fallen under the wheels of history.

It’s not that progress is “good or bad?” It’s that progress is “good and bad.” Let us not forget that bad is a very real part of that.

Theres people I hold as dear friends I would've never been able to meet if I lived 200 or even 100 years ago. Passions I wouldn't be able to pursue. Jobs I wouldn't be able to have.
You wouldn’t miss your friends if you lived at a different time, just like now you don’t miss people you have never met.

You wouldn’t have those passions, since our passions are shaped by society and what is possible at that time. And for most people for most of history, the range of possibility has been relatively small.

Does it bother you that you will never be a space bounty hunter? Of course not. It is not within your range of possibilities.

And as for music? There is no rule to music. Just like any
any other art, I welcome anyone bold enough to experiment. Doesnt meant ill always like it; but if you're saying no good music is being made today you can't be listening to that much. Music is like painting, the notes are brushstrokes and our ears are the canvas. Explore different sounds, different colors of "paint".

This is some high school art teacher nonsense. The subjective element in music cannot render Ravel and Spottemgottem equals. Too much modern music has such a tiny range of what it can express, and so much of it is just filth. Modern art is a condom, use once and destroy; except that they are manufactured with STD’s built in.

People confuse rewatchability or relistenability with depth. They are not the same. I could rewatch Terminator 2 every year and enjoy it, but there is simply nothing else there. Great art is inexhaustible. You can never finish interpreting Hamlet.

Ridley Scott is one of the few modern directors that captures even a bit of the greatness that is possible in art.

This time, it IS the children that are wrong.

taizuke

Gee now i can't wait to see the movie! After the director berated me for not seeing it...

On a serious note. Saw the trailer over a month ago and liked it quite a lot. One of the best trailers in recent months imo. That being said, i don't watch dramas in theaters (even pre-covid), rather reserve that genre for home viewing.

But, hey if you want to ALIENate potential viewers by complaining about them then you do you boo.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
1. I agree with others here that he seems to be confusing gen z with mils, which is understandable for a man of his age

2. The trailers looked absolutely boring. I still have no idea what it's about, who exactly is dueling, and why

Toons

Banned
This is not really true, or is deceptive at best. Greek and Roman culture advanced very slowly, and then stopped almost entirely for 1000 years before advancing progressively faster starting in the renaissance.

The more common story is something like the Aborigines, who made a few imperceptible changes every few millenia.

Saying humanity has been advancing conjures up the image of humanity marching lockstep into a brighter future, when in fact a very large percentage of humanity does not want to march and distrusts that future.

Not so.

We can probably agree that in the long run, Roman colonization of Europe was a good thing. But not for the people who resisted it, who died in their millions trying to resist it.

Did you know there was once a culture in the area of Vietnam call Cham? They were pushed from their land, and now they have nothing. There are many groups of displaced people in the world, who have fallen under the wheels of history.

It’s not that progress is “good or bad?” It’s that progress is “good and bad.” Let us not forget that bad is a very real part of that.

You wouldn’t miss your friends if you lived at a different time, just like now you don’t miss people you have never met.

You wouldn’t have those passions, since our passions are shaped by society and what is possible at that time. And for most people for most of history, the range of possibility has been relatively small.

Does it bother you that you will never be a space bounty hunter? Of course not. It is not within your range of possibilities.

This is some high school art teacher nonsense. The subjective element in music cannot render Ravel and Spottemgottem equals. Too much modern music has such a tiny range of what it can express, and so much of it is just filth. Modern art is a condom, use once and destroy; except that they are manufactured with STD’s built in.

People confuse rewatchability or relistenability with depth. They are not the same. I could rewatch Terminator 2 every year and enjoy it, but there is simply nothing else there. Great art is inexhaustible. You can never finish interpreting Hamlet.

Ridley Scott is one of the few modern directors that captures even a bit of the greatness that is possible in art.

This time, it IS the children that are wrong.
1. A part of humanity rejecting that future is an irrelevance. Those have been there since the beginning to. We still move forward regardless. Change is an inevitable constant not just in society but in this universe.

2. Progress can be good and bad yes. That was my entire point. But it WILL happen all the same. History has proven that.

3. And the same will be true of us one day. We don't even know what we don't want yet. So why close yourself off to possibility? I value the things I am able to have in this life, and I have the benefit of hindsight and retrospect to know how I have benefitted from the advancements made in society.

4. The art you're talking about became legend long after it was made in most cases. Art doesn't have to be a permanent statement. Its a meaning of expression that can reflect a given time, an era, even a fleeting emotion that the artist is feeling. It can be made as something to be enjoyed quickly an discarded like a fine meal. It can be an ode to something impermanent. It can also be a universal statement or referendum on something the artists intends. Its impact is entirely subjective for this reason. It doesn't have to have relevance to every being who ever lived to be good. You appreciate artworks made by people who never knew you existed, never even thought you would. It was not made for you. And yet you appreciate it. You have a very boxed in limiting view of what art can be. Everyone has preferences but why limit what others can do, or what you will accept they can do with the medium?

This thinking stifles creativity and stagnated expression to what we currently feel and think we know, when as you've said we can't even fathom what we will or won't enjoy if we haven't already experienced it.

Last edited:

Scotty W

1. A part of humanity rejecting that future is an irrelevance. Those have been there since the beginning to. We still move forward regardless. Change is an inevitable constant not just in society but in this universe.

2. Progress can be good and bad yes. That was my entire point. But it WILL happen all the same. History has proven that.

3. And the same will be true of us one day. We don't even know what we don't want yet. So why close yourself off to possibility? I value the things I am able to have in this life, and I have the benefit of hindsight and retrospect to know how I have benefitted from the advancements made in society.

4. The art you're talking about became legend long after it was made in most cases. Art doesn't have to be a permanent statement. Its a meaning of expression that can reflect a given time, an era, even a fleeting emotion that the artist is feeling. It can be made as something to be enjoyed quickly an discarded like a fine meal. It can be an ode to something impermanent. It can also be a universal statement or referendum on something the artists intends. Its impact is entirely subjective for this reason. It doesn't have to have relevance to every being who ever lived to be good. You appreciate artworks made by people who never knew you existed, never even thought you would. It was not made for you. And yet you appreciate it. You have a very boxed in limiting view of what art can be. Everyone has preferences but why limit what others can do, or what you will accept they can do with the medium?

This thinking stifles creativity and stagnated expression to what we currently feel and think we know, when as you've said we can't even fathom what we will or won't enjoy if we haven't already experienced it.

ManaByte

Watching this right now. It's actually good, not Kingdom of Heaven, but good. Affleck's role is much bigger than some were claiming.

But this is NOT the type of movie you release exclusively in theaters when the box office hasn't recovered from the pandemic.

///PATRIOT

Banned
Sure but there's also the part where Robin Hood, Prometheus, The Counselor, and Alien Covenant were not particularly good movies. Last Duel may in fact be a good movie but there's no reason for the average moviegoer to have any optimism after a spotty track record like that.
ouch

Dr Bass

Good movies should be universal, and hardly have anything to do with age. Yeah there can be certain types of movies that you need to see when you're young to "like" but Ridley probably just didn't do a good job here if people aren't going.

I made a joke about Matt Damon's haircut earlier in this thread, but I was halfway serious. If your characters look goofy and, as someone else put it, your subject matter is a medieval rape story ...

I can see people not flocking to the theaters for that. :pie_thinking:

AJUMP23

It is a good movie and I liked the setting, and the 13th century French countryside and the 3 perspectives, But it isn't his best work. It is no Alien, Gladiator or Blade Runner.

sol_bad

Was their any advertising for this movie? I've not heard of it before and I tend to watch Ridley Scott films.

Advertising for me personally is just trailers on Youtube, I don't watch free to air TV or anything like that. I'm subscribed to all the studios so I'm informed when new trailers are released.
Or look for other channels like Movieclips Trailers, One Media, Kinocheck or IGN Movie Trailers. Subscribe and click on alerts.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I watched The Duellists for the first time a few weeks ago, and they don’t craft movies like that anymore.

Also watched The Last Duel this morning, and it was fantastic. Didn’t know that Damon and Affleck wrote the screenplay (with help from Nicole Holofcener for the female perspectives). Folks that claim that it’s a #metoo or feminist movie … well I never felt that at all. Movie felt relatively organic and grounded, with real stakes, and consequences. There were victims and villains across all spectrums.

As for Scott, yeah he’s still got it but he should show a little more nuance (like he does with his movies) and try to encourage audiences to watch his films, instead of attacking them.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Good grief the US streaming rights for this flick are so fucked. It's going to HBO max then Hulu? Yet everyone else gets it on D+? So weird.

Matt and Ben sitting around.
“How can we make a good old fashion Medieval action movie in the current climate?”
“I know! Lets show how shitty women had it in the 13th century!”
“Genius! Get Ridley Scott on the phone!”

ManaByte

Matt and Ben sitting around.
“How can we make a good old fashion Medieval action movie in the current climate?”
“I know! Lets show how shitty women had it in the 13th century!”
“Genius! Get Ridley Scott on the phone!”

It's based on a non-fiction book about a major event in French history.

Last edited:

Toons

Banned
Good movies should be universal, and hardly have anything to do with age. Yeah there can be certain types of movies that you need to see when you're young to "like" but Ridley probably just didn't do a good job here if people aren't going.

I made a joke about Matt Damon's haircut earlier in this thread, but I was halfway serious. If your characters look goofy and, as someone else put it, your subject matter is a medieval rape story ...

I can see people not flocking to the theaters for that. :pie_thinking:

Good Movies absolutely do not have to be universal. Theres no one thing everyone likes. Theres people that don't like horror films. Theres people that aren't into fantasy. Theres people that aren't into documentaries. Just like with music therrs different tastes with things and some artists will appeal to those that have similar tastes. In fact most do. Ridley is pretty versatile but not every project he's done has been good. He's still one of the greats but he would know better than anyone what I'm saying.

Dr Bass

Good Movies absolutely do not have to be universal. Theres no one thing everyone likes. Theres people that don't like horror films. Theres people that aren't into fantasy. Theres people that aren't into documentaries. Just like with music therrs different tastes with things and some artists will appeal to those that have similar tastes. In fact most do. Ridley is pretty versatile but not every project he's done has been good. He's still one of the greats but he would know better than anyone what I'm saying.
I meant in terms of age. You don’t have to be a certain age to appreciate a good movie, if the movie is good. That was clearly the context of my post. Not that everyone has to like every genre. Good grief.

People will argue anything on the internet.

Last edited:

segasonic

Sure but there's also the part where Robin Hood, Prometheus, The Counselor, and Alien Covenant were not particularly good movies. Last Duel may in fact be a good movie but there's no reason for the average moviegoer to have any optimism after a spotty track record like that.
I liked Prometheus

Top Bottom