• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ring Fit Adventure is pure Nintendo magic (Pilates Wings)

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
What’s wrong working out while playing fun game? They don’t have to be separate things.

Yep. Game looks like it will be a greats supplement to other forms of workout or as an entry to exercising.

Not to mention some people can't readily afford or go to gyms nor simply "go outside" ,especially when there is 3 feet of snow and ice on the ground.

McCheese

Picked this up and just finished my first session, after 45 minutes I can barely walk up the stairs.

Told it I trained regularly and put my full force into the strength calibrations, and it's kicking my ass - not too much, but just enough that at the end of each level I'm pretty wiped. For those who were worried this is just for stay at home mums and soy boys, nope!

The ring device is surprisingly great. It can register everything minor to major compressions, and due to its form, it puts up more resistance the stronger you are, so it's a perfect one-size-fits-all exercise tool. I power lift 3 times a week and was squeezing that little bastard hard, and the game was just like "meh, you are doing okay I guess".

I'm sure could lower the settings and have it as a cake-walk, but the fact that it's picked a default just from the initial calibration that I find exhausting is impressive, and that's at about 20% off the hardest setting.

Gameplay-wise it's fun, or at least as fun as you can expect a game about exercise to be.

It's definitely more entertaining than just doing squats to music, and having the game track your progress with its little RPG elements is a real added incentive to exercise, it also forces you to mix things up and therefore I think It's probably giving me a better work-out than I would give myself. As the game opens it I'm sure it'll teach me some new moves too, and whilst it can't correct my form etc, it does a good enough job of making sure I'm not completely bodging the moves, and the tutorials are easy to follow.

There is clearly some clever psychology behind almost everything in the game, even subtle things like when you hold a move you see the body part it exercises as the 'weapon', and the more effective you perform the move, the more buff that weapon becomes. So stomach exercises, your weapon is a big fat beer belly that turns into rock-solid abs the longer you can charge it before attacking. It's constantly throwing positive reinforcement at you, EXP, gold, showing me how many calories I burnt, levelling up.

The only disclaimer I would add is that this isn't a game with exercise elements, this is Nintendo making an exercise title. If you don't want to sweat, it's not for you. You are not going to come back to this just for the gameplay, you'll come back to this as you want to do exercise and enjoy what this adds on top of that.

Wardrobe warning - The leg strap keeps slipping down on me which is annoying, you can't really wear it on bare skin nor put it over baggy gym shorts, so I'll need to get some cycle shorts or something.

zenspider

haahahh Nintendo "games" absolutely blow now. I don't think even Sega has fallen as far as they have.

Fire Emblem 3H, Astral Chain, Daemon X Machina, Dragon Quest XI-S, Link's Awakening have all come out in the last few months, Ring Fit now (which, sorry to say, is fun as hell), and soon Luigi's Mansion 3 and Pokemon S/S.

Get that weak shit out of here.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Fire Emblem 3H, Astral Chain, Daemon X Machina, Dragon Quest XI-S, Link's Awakening have all come out in the last few months, Ring Fit now (which, sorry to say, is fun as hell), and soon Luigi's Mansion 3 and Pokemon S/S.

Get that weak shit out of here.
His logic is if he doesn’t like something others shouldn’t either.

zenspider

Picked this up and just finished my first session, after 45 minutes I can barely walk up the stairs.

Told it I trained regularly and put my full force into the strength calibrations, and it's kicking my ass - not too much, but just enough that at the end of each level I'm pretty wiped. For those who were worried this is just for stay at home mums and soy boys, nope!

The ring device is surprisingly great. It can register everything minor to major compressions, and due to its form, it puts up more resistance the stronger you are, so it's a perfect one-size-fits-all exercise tool. I power lift 3 times a week and was squeezing that little bastard hard, and the game was just like "meh, you are doing okay I guess".

I'm sure could lower the settings and have it as a cake-walk, but the fact that it's picked a default just from the initial calibration that I find exhausting is impressive, and that's at about 20% off the hardest setting.

Gameplay-wise it's fun, or at least as fun as you can expect a game about exercise to be.

It's definitely more entertaining than just doing squats to music, and having the game track your progress with its little RPG elements is a real added incentive to exercise, it also forces you to mix things up and therefore I think It's probably giving me a better work-out than I would give myself. As the game opens it I'm sure it'll teach me some new moves too, and whilst it can't correct my form etc, it does a good enough job of making sure I'm not completely bodging the moves, and the tutorials are easy to follow.

There is clearly some clever psychology behind almost everything in the game, even subtle things like when you hold a move you see the body part it exercises as the 'weapon', and the more effective you perform the move, the more buff that weapon becomes. So stomach exercises, your weapon is a big fat beer belly that turns into rock-solid abs the longer you can charge it before attacking. It's constantly throwing positive reinforcement at you, EXP, gold, showing me how many calories I burnt, levelling up.

The only disclaimer I would add is that this isn't a game with exercise elements, this is Nintendo making an exercise title. If you don't want to sweat, it's not for you. You are not going to come back to this just for the gameplay, you'll come back to this as you want to do exercise and enjoy what this adds on top of that.

Wardrobe warning - The leg strap keeps slipping down on me which is annoying, you can't really wear it on bare skin nor put it over baggy gym shorts, so I'll need to get some cycle shorts or something.

I strapped it "bareback" under shorts today and it was much more comfortable, and I'm finding it tracks better too - the squats and chair pose feedback felt really good today.

Finally set aside the time to try this out. It's honestly really fun. Beat the first boss and I was pretty wiped out. The combination of running, constant squats, then holding a squat stance for a prolonged period of time, combined with the upper body stuff, wiped me out. I'm tired! Surprised how well it all works. The leg strap keeps coming tangled up though. I'll have to experiment a bit.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I gave this my first workout yesterday, I was definitely sweating and winded by the end but didn’t think much of it. Holy shit today I am sore though. It’s been a while since I hit the gym regularly and I can already tell I overdid the first workout. Oh well, at least I know it’s actually doing something and it’s a pretty funny and charming game

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
The minigames (which are all accessible from the main menu, too) are amazing fun and provide a decent workout. I still like the whack-a-mole game the best so far, and I also enjoyed the belly-swinging game where you smash robots. I still have yet to try several of them (like the rock-climbing and the thigh-racing). I won't go as far to say the minigames justify the whole purchase, but they're a big added value in the game, for sure. They don't tire me out but they do make you move your body, kind of like a carnival or arcade game (think Time Crisis 2 or DDR or whack-a-mole). Sin & Punishment 3 using the RingCon, please.

I always get my heart-rate up during 20m or more of playing a normal round of levels. Nintendo invested an obvious amount of R&D and thought into the overall game design. If you look at the trailers and wonder "how could that stupid ring setup actually have enough exercises?", believe me, they cram them in. My wife has used a variety of workout DVDs over the years and I would say RingFit surpasses the quality of those. Granted, you're buying an expensive ring + software plus a game system instead of a $20 DVD and $10 elastic bands (or whatever), but I think RingFit is a quality product if taken alone as an exercise aid.

It can be a brisk Dance Dance Revolution-ish experience where you exert yourself a bit and have a burst of fun (like at the arcade), or you can genuinely get a workout over the course of 10 - 30m. It suits both roles which is remarkable.

Last edited:

Hotspurr

Banned
Just ordered this. I bodybuild at the gym but always have a hard time working enough cardio and bodyweight stuff in. I fully expect to be destroyed by this given what I've seen so far.
Also all the reviews online have been extremely positive, even from people who hit the gym regularly. I think Nintendo's extremely cringe marketing of this put me off but luckily I was able to do some proper research on it and it seems like the real deal.

Good news that this is having Stock issues in the UK and Nintendo are advertising the hell out of it as we like to hit the Gym this month. :LOL:

Getting back to the Gym myself and seem to be out of shape so may have to look into this but I missed when it was £55 on Black Friday. <_<

Hotspurr

Banned
Good shit.
Did like 15 min and definitely worked up a serious sweat. This is perfect for anyone bodybuilding and needing to get cardio in, but for some exercises the ring offers sufficient resistance for muscle building too.

For someone who isn't already actively going to the gym, this is a no brainier, and far better than exercise videos. I did some videos a few years back during a recovery from a bad injury, and that was far less interesting than having this. The minigames are a great add-on too, especially if you wanna get your friends hooked on it (plus you can sweat on each other). Wife likes it too, we're making it a competition and that seems to be good motivation haha...

Definitely worth the $65 I paid for it. I'd say it's definitely worth full price if you are serious about getting in shape (and this is coming from someone who rarely buys games at full price on release day).

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Good shit.
Did like 15 min and definitely worked up a serious sweat. This is perfect for anyone bodybuilding and needing to get cardio in, but for some exercises the ring offers sufficient resistance for muscle building too.

For someone who isn't already actively going to the gym, this is a no brainier, and far better than exercise videos. I did some videos a few years back during a recovery from a bad injury, and that was far less interesting than having this. The minigames are a great add-on too, especially if you wanna get your friends hooked on it (plus you can sweat on each other). Wife likes it too, we're making it a competition and that seems to be good motivation haha...

Definitely worth the $65 I paid for it. I'd say it's definitely worth full price if you are serious about getting in shape (and this is coming from someone who rarely buys games at full price on release day).
I've had similar impressions. It's great to see more GAFers trying it out cause I think it's a sleeper hit (for people who are in the market for this kind of game). The complexity of stuff they have you doing is impressive, and like you said it's way more engaging than an exercise video.

I've had similar impressions. It's great to see more GAFers trying it out cause I think it's a sleeper hit (for people who are in the market for this kind of game). The complexity of stuff they have you doing is impressive, and like you said it's way more engaging than an exercise video.

If it helps, the UK are advertising it despite being out of stock in many places. Some people are trying to sell them for double price!!!

I want one too. :(

Sorry as I am repeating myself there but it is good news for the sale of the game!!!

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
If it helps, the UK are advertising it despite being out of stock in many places. Some people are trying to sell them for double price!!!

I want one too. :(

Sorry as I am repeating myself there but it is good news for the sale of the game!!!
That's great to hear! I truly wish the game ends up being a success. I'm hoping it sells well enough to at least warrant a sequel and perhaps a separate non-RingFit title that uses the peripheral. Sin & Punishment 3: Swole Gains, please.

Picked it up on Friday. I put in 15 minutes on Friday evening and the game absolutely kicked my arse.

Will certainly echo the sentiments in this thread though. What a solid piece of kit. I've done the first world and wanted to give it another shot yesterday but I'm still in recovery mode. Will give it another shot tonight.

I started working from home back in September and have noticed that the pounds have slowly crept on in that time (must be around half a stone), so I'm hoping this'll give me the kick up the backside I need along with the better diet and no tinnies in an evening. Will post more impressions as I go, but this is leagues ahead of Wii Fit.

Last edited:

Shifty1897

I picked it up last night because of this thread and the fact that it was cheaper to buy this than to buy new pants that fit.

I did the first level 3 times to get to level 3. My legs burn today. I'm very out of shape.

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned
Anyone who has to buy a 75 dollar game to get in shape let me save you the trouble, you wont. You'll dick with it a while and quit.

You can go buy a jump rope, a large sized hula hoop, and some hand weights for a whole hell of a lot less money and get just as much of a work. Hell you can work out with nothing, or use some items in your home already if you were dedicated. You still need that dedication to continue with ring fit, only difference is you might if you dont have dedication the ring fit might keep you doing it a week or two longer but in the end you'll still quit. No gamer will use it for long once the novelty wears off and they realize the time they are spending using it is time they could be playing games on their switch instead.

Hotspurr

Banned
Anyone who has to buy a 75 dollar game to get in shape let me save you the trouble, you wont. You'll dick with it a while and quit.

You can go buy a jump rope, a large sized hula hoop, and some hand weights for a whole hell of a lot less money and get just as much of a work. Hell you can work out with nothing, or use some items in your home already if you were dedicated. You still need that dedication to continue with ring fit, only difference is you might if you dont have dedication the ring fit might keep you doing it a week or two longer but in the end you'll still quit. No gamer will use it for long once the novelty wears off and they realize the time they are spending using it is time they could be playing games on their switch instead.

That's a bit of a pessimistic view of the thing.
There are many people for who going to the gym after or before work is a big barrier. The prospect of exercising at home in front of a wall is also incredibly boring. Being able to make it into a game makes it more bearable. Think of it like adding sugar and flavoring to cough medicine. For some people it will just be above the threshold where they are willing to use it to work out. There will be a segment that will get it and then let it collect dust, kinda like with VR, but the difference is there is tangible improvement to be made and clear benefits from doing the workouts to your health. I don't see people getting this for gaming first - this is first and foremost for exercising, and it doesn't pretend to be something that it's not.

Andyliini

As this game has no OT, I'll just post here.

I've been playing this for some time now, and am currently in World 7. The stages are quite easy, though I play at highest difficulty, and really break a sweat when playing through these stages. It's much more engaging than any other fitness game I have tried. Can't say if I have actually lost any weight, but at least playing the game is fun.
Also, this was probably the last game I expected to find waifu at, but then I battled Allegra:

She's even more gorgeous in motion.

Xeaker

I am playing on intensity 25 and it is pretty challenging. I do Weight training but this game still pushes me very good.
I'm only sad that the squats are the weakest Leg attack with only 30 even though its much more exhausting then the other 2 I have unlocked.

Hotspurr

Banned
I am playing on intensity 25 and it is pretty challenging. I do Weight training but this game still pushes me very good.
I'm only sad that the squats are the weakest Leg attack with only 30 even though its much more exhausting then the other 2 I have unlocked.

That's my one big criticism of the game - some exercises are super easy and they do more damage. During some worlds if you were focused on playing the game more than exercising, you were better off stacking multiple "easy" attacks. Luckily as you progress you'll get tougher version of the squat (wide squat and overhead squat) which will be worth more points. So I think they do try to balance it out. I think it's also up to you to create a challenge for yourself and make the game aspect secondary if yo're trying to get a solid workout.

I have been consistent with this game for over a month now and my wife does it every day after work. It's pretty awesome and very easy to stick to. The workouts I get are solid as they end with me sweating like a pig. It's perfect cardio stuff for off days from the weightroom, but also I feel my flexibility has gone way up as a result.

As this game has no OT, I'll just post here.

I've been playing this for some time now, and am currently in World 7. The stages are quite easy, though I play at highest difficulty, and really break a sweat when playing through these stages. It's much more engaging than any other fitness game I have tried. Can't say if I have actually lost any weight, but at least playing the game is fun.
Also, this was probably the last game I expected to find waifu at, but then I battled Allegra:

She's even more gorgeous in motion.
I expected it. Wii Fit Trainer is a hottie too.

I've been working out in the gym regularly so I set this game aside for a while now. Been doing intensive stairmaster / elliptical training, sprinting speed for an hour total 4x a week. Then doing weights for about 35 minutes.

This game is still kicking my ass. What the hell? I was breathing hard and out of breath. Got a decent pump in my chest and deltoids.

Overhead press is great for inner / front deltoids. Lower press is not bad for chest if you combine it with some pushups after a few sets, you will feel it fast.

I also started changing the knee to chest move for stomach. I instead lay flat on my back and lift my legs up with the knees totally straight. Hits the stomach hard, doesn't hurt your back on a hard floor, and it registers the movement the same in the game.

Last edited:

TriSuit666

Banned
I've been working out in the gym regularly so I set this game aside for a while now. Been doing intensive stairmaster / elliptical training, sprinting speed for an hour total 4x a week. Then doing weights for about 35 minutes.

This game is still kicking my ass. What the hell? I was breathing hard and out of breath. Got a decent pump in my chest and deltoids.

Overhead press is great for inner / front deltoids. Lower press is not bad for chest if you combine it with some pushups after a few sets, you will feel it fast.

I also started changing the knee to chest move for stomach. I instead lay flat on my back and lift my legs up with the knees totally straight. Hits the stomach hard, doesn't hurt your back on a hard floor, and it registers the movement the same in the game.

Same here, I've been doing 30 minutes of the main game daily, then rounding it off with either a Core or Aerobics set at the end for a body workout.

Also, if you're not doing it already, you MUST be doing the daily Multitask sub-game as it gives you 500 coins + a ton of smoothies and points when you check in.

Last edited:

Shaqazooloo

Been slacking on this lately and noticed I've gained a few pounds (shutdown and slow days at work as a result means less physical activity..) So I've started back up again.

I want to put in more workout time into it and explore everything else the game has to offer, speaking of, I spent some time doing the Rhythm mode and it was pretty good, not as taxing as the other modes but it was decent exercise.

Pizdetz

Banned
I'm really enjoying this ring fit business.
I recently decided the main game wastes too much time with a nonsensical story, making smoothies, and a bunch of repetitive garbage. I switched to doing custom mode.
Now one cool thing I absolutely love is the rhythm stuff. When you get to super advanced and ultra advanced that's when shit gets real and playing more than 3-4 courses will destroy you (a grand total of about 10 minutes). The crazy thing is that I'm noticing a lot of improvement, and have slowly started getting close to A or even S in the super-advanced. Ultra advanced is still too crazy, and I noticed sometimes the control input is "sticky", perhaps the switch is overwhelmed, not sure.
Definitely check out the rhythm game and stick with it. You'l be doing legs and core on advanced in no time, and trying to get a high rank on super/ultra advanced for arms/core is where it's at.
Hope they release more songs and stuff to do with future updates (it's nice it was free and not as paid DLC).

TwiztidElf

Yeah, I'm enjoying it too.
For me it is just fun supplemental cross training on off days, but yeah, I come out of it smiling (and sweaty).
I'm sticking with the story though. On world 7 now.

Manji Uzuki

This has been really useful to keep doing some exercise during strict lockdown. It's actually way better imlemented than I thought it was going to be. So far I'm doing only the story and occasionaly the rythm game and I can feel its working fine for me. Hope Nintendo keeps expanding the game.

Btw the thread title made me remember how much I would like a new pilotwings. N64 one was lot of fun!

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I hadn’t been to the gym since March, so I picked this up. The first day I was skeptical, expecting a baby workout. After the first level, I was gassed and threw up from having just eaten 30 minutes prior.

The next day, I came better prepared for world #2. It was a lot of fun, gave me a decent workout and left me wanting to play even more.

Eventually the game began to get easy, even at higher levels, so I slapped on some 2lbs wrist weights I had laying around and... my God what a workout. One hour 15 in and my Apple Watch logged 700 calories, my body was giving out and I had to stop.

Is it fun? Hell yes. However, you do need to compliment it with some jailhouse exercises like push up, pull ups and crunches. Buy yourself some dumbbells and a pull-up bar to go along with this and you can get a damn good workout in while this pandemic rages on.

Amazing product. Was worth every penny.

Amory

These workouts are intense... I figured they'd be weak but I set mine to the 2nd hardest difficulty and I'm going to have to tone it down a bit tomorrow before I end up injuring myself

I wanted to buy a copy when quarantine first started but I wasn't putting up $400 or whatever idiotic price the secondary market had reached. But I wish there hadn't been a shortage. Maybe I wouldn't be such a fat shit now.

One thing I'm happy to see is that it's a quality product for the money. The game itself has really nice graphics and sound, and the joycons seem to do a fine job of picking up movements which can sometimes be subtle. Jogging through the levels collecting coins and medals is an enjoyable experience. The ringcon is well built and sturdy, and offers a fair bit of resistance when you're squeezing or pulling it.

And as I said before, the workouts are no joke at their hardest, but they're scalable for a range of fitness levels.

Good job Nintendo

Redlancet

Banned
im a fan of anything who make people mover their butts,this is one of the finesto of this kind out there but this is a compliment,never forget that

Top Bottom