• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Riot Games agrees to pay $100 million in settlement of class-action gender discrimination lawsuit

Tripolygon

Banned
If you seriously think that no one is looking at this and planning to capitalize somewhere else in the gaming industry (heck any industry) - you severely underestimate the grossness and greediness that is humanity.
People didn't start suing their employers yesterday. Former employees sue their employer for wrongful termination, unsafe workplace, workplace discrimination, sexual harassment, and various other reasons, all the time. You don't hear about most of them because the companies settle quickly and quietly.

Also, general advice, know your rights as an employee.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
This is how silly this gif is. If you rank the world by GDP and put California on it, it would rank 5th. So in this scenario, you want to cut off the world's 5th largest GDP which pays over $200 billion in taxes each year because some employees sued their shitty employer.

I'd be interested to see how much of that GDP translates into tax revenue!

$100m sounds like a lot, but its a drop in the bucket when you can pay for the best tax attorneys to hide billions in income for you.

Pejo

Class action huh? That sucks. Majority of the people get nothing. 1-2 people and their lawyers get payday.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Xi-Jinping-visit-9-25-151.jpg

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Lots of corporate dick sucking going on here. This is a good thing. Know your rights. This is a first world country, not a commie paradise.

Gotta love gamers demanding repairs for their $300 consoles and suing Microsoft and Sony, but god forbid some women demand equal pay.

$35k per employee is nothing if they were working at a company for 5-10 years getting $10-15k less than their male counterparts for doing the same work. Companies dont settle $100 million lawsuits if they did nothing wrong.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Lots of corporate dick sucking going on here. This is a good thing. Know your rights. This is a first world country, not a commie paradise.

Gotta love gamers demanding repairs for their $300 consoles and suing Microsoft and Sony, but god forbid some women demand equal pay.

$35k per employee is nothing if they were working at a company for 5-10 years getting $10-15k less than their male counterparts for doing the same work. Companies dont settle $100 million lawsuits if they did nothing wrong.

Forget the pay disparities (well don't because people shouldn't have to jump through hoops because they've got a V instead of a D), the gross sexual shit from upper level folks is what is eye-watering to me.

. . .just crazy how in any other situation folks would be dragging the "MOBA company. . ." but hey, folks aren't getting paid or are getting goosed in the breakroom and it's "Go woke go broke!"

Men will never be as good as women at #victim, and white women are going to rule the world in no time.
Nah, just like a lot of their initiatives it will fail and backfire. Also we should expect culture clash from latin america, china and middle east that doesn't share their ideals lol

Yeah because that's what this is all about
It is about I want to work here - Do you play League of Legends - No - Good bye! - How dare you! I am a woman!

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
This is how silly this gif is. If you rank the world by GDP and put California on it, it would rank 5th. So in this scenario, you want to cut off the world's 5th largest GDP which pays over $200 billion in taxes each year because some employees sued their shitty employer.
If this was the only issue California had you would be right… but alas

poodaddy

Gold Member
Nothing. High taxes, but probably the closest place stateside to Europe, with regards to legal protections and welfare. Some people get really aggy about it, but then you realize that more people live in California than any other state, and that they have a crazy strong economy. So whatever the deal is with California, the rest of the country could use some of it.
drunk comedy central GIF

The most humorous part is the people who are so controlled by their ideologies making armchair opinions on a complex, multi year class action lawsuit that involves thousands of people as if they know anything about it beyond a small article.

Last edited:
Former leftist Dave Rubin about California:

He told me that individuals making choices to live in freer states is a “bottom-up” way to fix this country.

As much as I wish this would be the case, it isn't.

Most hardcore leftist progressives who voted for these goons that fucked the Californian tax laws, just end up moving to red states because--surprise, they too don't want to pay extortionate taxes. So those rich leftist progressives in red states use their votes to make red states into blue states and fuck over the conservatives living in those more libertarian states.

So by allowing leftists to leave shitholes like California, all you're doing is spreading their neurotic ideological cancer around the country, instead of keeping them quarantined to their own echo-chamber states where they'll ruin themselves alone.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
As much as I wish this would be the case, it isn't.

Most hardcore leftist progressives who voted for these goons that fucked the Californian tax laws, just end up moving to red states because--surprise, they too don't want to pay extortionate taxes. So those rich leftist progressives in red states use their votes to make red states into blue states and fuck over the conservatives living in those more libertarian states.

So by allowing leftists to leave shitholes like California, all you're doing is spreading their neurotic ideological cancer around the country, instead of keeping them quarantined to their own echo-chamber states where they'll ruin themselves alone.

Don't worry, China will keep buying up the US and they don't have the woke virus.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Not sure why the OP didn't include the second paragraph in the WP article which gives - very light - details of the original complaint and a link to the KOTAKU article which is a bit more than being about "psychotic women." Senior Leadership being emboldened enough to grab the genitals of male employees or musing about how they'd like to penetrate female employees seems a wee bit. . .not good. To say nothing of the stymied advancement through the companies ranks.
Agreed. This not just some baseless accusation. I think unfortunately because Kotaku reported on it, people are assuming (rightfully so) that it's just another one of their moral grandstanding articles.

plushyp

The most humorous part is the people who are so controlled by their ideologies making armchair opinions on a complex, multi year class action lawsuit that involves thousands of people as if they know anything about it beyond a small article.
Quote and respond to the people who are actually posting like this because otherwise you are mostly preaching to the choir.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
It is about I want to work here - Do you play League of Legends - No - Good bye! - How dare you! I am a woman!

So the employees getting their dicks grabbed or the women being told through email how desperately their higher ups want to fuck them - where does that fit into this neat dismissal?

Honestly this is just wild how much effort some of you are putting into dismissing this as some gendered entitlement grab. Wild.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The suit came after gaming news site Kotaku published an exposé about a culture of sexism at Riot Games, where female employees were asked in job interviews to be “core gamers” and “League of Legends” players. In the article, women said they were turned away for insufficiently satisfying those criteria during the hiring process.

So women apply for a job at a games company and don't get the job because they don't play games? ffs, they should all be lined up outside the court and given a kick in the cunt each.
So the employees getting their dicks grabbed or the women being told through email how desperately their higher ups want to fuck them - where does that fit into this neat dismissal?

Honestly this is just wild how much effort some of you are putting into dismissing this as some gendered entitlement grab. Wild.
What do employees at work doing shady sexual advancements have to do with hiring qualifications?

I've never worked at a software company. If I applied to MS or Adobe or Google and their job description says they want people with industry experience, what's wrong with that? I have no experience in software, sub plans, graphics programs or SEO/web search. Why would I be put in the front line like someone with those kinds of career experiences?

Last edited:

TransTrender

Gold Member
I'm glad the settlement is now very large but what about the men that were also ball-slapped and farted on while in that bro culture?

dave_d

35k on average per person.
GZ that's half a yearly game developer salary
Damn, game developers are really underpaid. Around here (Boston area) typical entry level wages for a software engineer are around 85k and they just keep going up if you have any experience.

Top Bottom