• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Riot Games Will Record Valorant Voice Comms To Catch Racists

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Don't forget about Ring 0 anti-cheat, that shit is probably going to record any input devices on the PC anyway...

laynelane

They require "the ability to analyze voice data" and "human moderation will also play a role" - this sounds like how robots would talk if they currently existed in a really advanced form.

Hydelol

Banned
One more reason to never start playing anything Riot offers, not that I would have ever played their games regardless.

Old West Reaction GIF by GritTV

Joke's on them. I don't use voice chat.
You slur it all out at the groccery store.
I feel sorry for whoever is being tasked with listening to voice chat clips all day. The turn over is going to be higher than Walmart during the holidays.
Im very sure they have AI for this. Maybe a human for appeals though.

One thing that always seems weird to me about trying to regulate speech in audio chat, is that something like the “N word” is generally socially acceptable for black people to say, but not anyone else.

From my experience playing online games from the 360 to today, a majority of people I’ve heard using the N word were black, and most of the time in a non-hostile manner. So are games going to ban black people for saying the N word? I don’t think these automated voice recording systems would be able to distinguish someone’s race, and even if they could that opens up a whole other can of worms.

I mean if someone’s being a dick and using a slur in a demeaning way you can just mute them. I don’t understand why we need NSA levels of surveillance for a game.

Tripolygon

Banned
Who’s to say they don’t analyse you’re interests and on sell to advertisers or use it against you in 20 years etc. simple thing privacy, with potentially complex outcomes.
Neogaf does that. Every piece of electronic device you use and web service does that. Nobody has privacy, only the illusion of it.

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
Under the false pretence of fighting racism?
Why is it false pretence?

Also the lot of you are bent out of shape over a clickbait headline written by Kotaku.

What Riot Game say is;

“In order for us to take action against players who use voice comms to harass others, use hate speech, or otherwise disrupt your experience, we need to know what those players are saying,” Riot wrote on their website. “Which is why, moving forward we’ll need the ability to analyze voice data.”

“When a player submits a report for disruptive or offensive behavior in voice comms, the relevant audio data will be stored in your account’s registered region and evaluated to see if our behavior agreement was violated,”

This is same thing Sony and Microsoft do with their Party System. When a user reports you, a short snippet of the audio is recorded and sent in for review.

Last edited:
You cannot operate a business in Communist China without being a card-carrying member of The Party. There is no 'just following orders' argument, and frankly Riot games should be monitored like any Chinese national firm.

Arkam

Week one- 1000 racists removed
Week two- 1000 0000 people removed to re-education camps.
Yup. Starts with fighting “Racist” then next thing you know they move on to “misogynists”, then “homophobic”, then the “transphobic”, then those who don’t speak out against systemic racism or police brutality, and so on as it circles the drain waiting for a flush.

FYI kiddos there is no objective morality (sans religion). Cuz unless you are just abdicating responsibility by says “god says so”.... you are forced to PROVE why an action is bad. Which is an impossible task. So non divine morales are a moving target. You can do the same thing that is praised today and be penalized for tomorrow.... by the same people.

But at the end of the day, this doesn’t effect me personally. It would be an exceptionally cold day in hell before I play anything from Riot.

CloudNull

Banned
Why is it false pretence?

Also the lot of you are bent out of shape over a clickbait headline written by Kotaku.

What Riot Game say is;

“In order for us to take action against players who use voice comms to harass others, use hate speech, or otherwise disrupt your experience, we need to know what those players are saying,” Riot wrote on their website. “Which is why, moving forward we’ll need the ability to analyze voice data.”

“When a player submits a report for disruptive or offensive behavior in voice comms, the relevant audio data will be stored in your account’s registered region and evaluated to see if our behavior agreement was violated,”

This is same thing Sony and Microsoft do with their Party System. When a user reports you, a short snippet of the audio is recorded and sent in for review.
But Riot, a subsidiary of a China company, is bad and Microsoft and Sony are holy lol.

People in this thread are insane. Riot is legitimately trying to clean up coms so that they are more about the game and not attacking people on your team.

They are not going to care if you say anything about Taiwan or Hong Kong.

Last edited:

HoodWinked

This game continues to be a complete joke. This pile of shit already had kernel level access and now continuous audio recording. What next blood sample? Direct access of your bank transactions?

Their game, their rules. It’s not an attack on freedom or liberty if you sign their user agreement. I’m not supportive of the practice, I’m just saying it’s a stupid argument.

I don’t get the language. “Catch racists.” Like... what does that even mean? They’re not the boogeyman, I assure you. They’re cowards that wouldn’t say this stuff outside of a video game chat. When you’re say “catch” it kinda sounds like you intend to do something to them. Like release their name and info so everyone knows who the racists are.

Ten_Fold

They won’t be the last, no more homo slurs and N words flying online, I can see more shooting games doing this, the days of saying whatever is over. Outside of private lobbies.

It won't work. But maybe that's the idea and it's just a pretense to allow a game company to overtly and actively monitor users on the platform beyond what they already do.

People are shitty to each other and the internet exacerbates it. Deal with it.

CloudNull

Banned
Or Brave New World. Or We.
Education is in short supply these days.
This is such a dumb argument.

Brave New World is my all time favorite book. I have also read 1984 multiple times, Animal Farm and just recently read Fahrenheit 451... great book by the way. What Riot is doing is no different than Sony and Microsoft.

No one is going to care what random shit you say in game. The people that are racists' and misogynist are going to get banned which is a good thing. There have been many times where a girl will give out an in game callout and teammates start dog piling on her. It sucks because the game immediately goes down the shitter. A lot of times these instances are recorded already because everyone and their mom streams now a days. Riot is just kicking out the middle man.

I grew up during the birth of online gaming so I know what is being said now a days is nothing compared to the past but it doesn't mean that companies can strive to do better.

For all the people against this what else should they do? Muting people is not the answer.

Derktron

Banned
And that's where Discord comes in, don't announce what you are going to do if you want to catch them in the act. If you want to clean up house then you play it safe by not saying anything. Now those racists are going to use other means of communication like Discord.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
For all the people against this what else should they do? Muting people is not the answer.
No, muting people IS the answer, you absolute clown. The fact that you're too much of a fragile crybaby to cope with hearing the meanest words ever and you're too stupid to work out where the mute button is does not constitute an argument that favours mass surveillance and the capture of voice logs without anyone's consent.

You are an idiot and a coward. Do you think Facebook and Google's completely unethical surveillance of the entire population of the planet is also completely acceptable for reasons of 'safety'? I guess you do.

ShaikhCroft

Got their mail today. I spend like 5-6 hours everyday in Valorant. Toxicity is one of the biggest problem in Val. But the most annoying problem is their stupid matchmaking. They should improve it as well as the smurfing problem.

Hugare

Use Skype, Discord, whatever

But most people use ingame chat so yeah

I dont give a damn about this stuff. If we go down the rabbit hole: we are recorded from our cellphones, both by voice and camera, notebook and etc.

If they wanna hear me talking shit all day and naked over the webcam, I feel sorry for them

CloudNull

Banned
No, muting people IS the answer, you absolute clown. The fact that you're too much of a fragile crybaby to cope with hearing the meanest words ever and you're too stupid to work out where the mute button is does not constitute an argument that favours mass surveillance and the capture of voice logs without anyone's consent.

You are an idiot and a coward. Do you think Facebook and Google's completely unethical surveillance of the entire population of the planet is also completely acceptable for reasons of 'safety'? I guess you do.
Homie you don’t know nothing about me so Suck my dick. I’m trying to have a reasonable discussion so how about you stop being a pussy and stop crying about your freedoms.

This has nothing to do with how I feel but with the major issue of many people being too afraid to talk in game voice coms or when they do they get flamed. There is a fine line were you can still flame people in coms with out being an insufferable twat which this will hopefully stop which in turns leads to better games.

This is not COD deathmatch but a competitive tactical shooter in which communication is key. Muting people is not the answer.

Optimus Lime

Homie you don’t know nothing about me so Suck my dick. I’m trying to have a reasonable discussion so how about you stop being a pussy and stop crying about your freedoms.

This has nothing to do with how I feel but with the major issue of many people being too afraid to talk in game voice coms or when they do they get flamed. There is a fine line were you can still flame people in coms with out being an insufferable twat which this will hopefully stop which in turns leads to better games.

This is not COD deathmatch but a competitive tactical shooter in which communication is key. Muting people is not the answer.
I'm not your 'homie'.

I don't care about you. And, just so that we're clear, I called you a coward and an idiot for endorsing surveillance, and your response - in a thread in which you decry toxic behaviour - is to tell me to 'suck your dick'?

Absolutely pathetic hypocrisy.

CitizenZ

Banned
Ironic those who entail non hatred, hate opposing views even if it is not hate speech. Interesting. Please research history and the use of censorship. Only one thing ties all the most vial leaders in history together and it was censorship.

CloudNull

Banned
I'm not your 'homie'.

I don't care about you. And, just so that we're clear, I called you a coward and an idiot for endorsing surveillance, and your response - in a thread in which you decry toxic behaviour - is to tell me to 'suck your dick'?

Absolutely pathetic hypocrisy.
What I said is not racist and does not get you banned in Valorant so how exactly am I being hypocritical?

My whole point is Valorant has a great system that allows flaming people without taking it to far. Some of the best times in Valorant is shit talking your team without being racist or personally attacking people. It’s what makes the game so fun but there are people who do nothing for the community and deserve to be banned from ranked because of the issues that Riot is targeting. If this system gets rid of that than I am all for it.

From a lot of the responses in here it looks like no one read the actual article.

Optimus Lime

What I said is not racist and does not get you banned in Valorant so how exactly am I being hypocritical?

My whole point is Valorant has a great system that allows flaming people without taking it to far. Some of the best times in Valorant is shit talking your team without being racist or personally attacking people. It’s what makes the game so fun but there are people who do nothing for the community and deserve to be banned from ranked because of the issues that Riot is targeting. If this system gets rid of that than I am all for it.

From a lot of the responses in here it looks like no one read the actual article.
Oh. So your argument is that 'toxicity' is 'being racist'. You instructing me to 'suck your dick' because we disagree isn't the kind of toxicity that Riot wants to eliminate through surveillance of their users, because it wasn't 'racist'?

Is that really the argument that you're making? That you aren't being completely hypocritical because toxicity is 'racism', and it is not telling strangers on the internet to suck your dick?

Fare thee well

Neophyte
The thought finder will link up with your neural brain interface and monitor thought patterns for anything impure or deemed dangerous by our censors. If detected, thought encouraging electrical voltage will be sent to your neural interface to encourage more pure thoughts.

:)

Last edited:
Oh. So your argument is that 'toxicity' is 'being racist'. You instructing me to 'suck your dick' because we disagree isn't the kind of toxicity that Riot wants to eliminate through surveillance of their users, because it wasn't 'racist'?

Is that really the argument that you're making? That you aren't being completely hypocritical because toxicity is 'racism', and it is not telling strangers on the internet to suck your dick?
Don't bother.
It's not until these people get perma-banned by the system they so ardently endorse, for things they consider harmless banter, will they realize how much they fucked up by letting this wolf in the door, and not a moment sooner.

CloudNull

Banned

Stop playing the victim. You talked shit so I gave it back which riot is okay with. No one gets banned for that.

Let me break it down for you. 98% of games coms are good with no issues besides some people not using mics. 1.5% turns into shit talking which is okay. People will call me out for a bad flash or are mad that some one is bottom fragging. This usually turns into friendly shit talking which doesn’t ruin the match and sometimes works in favor of building team morale.

.05% is straight racist shit. I’ve had matches were a teammate gave feed back to another who in turn goes off immediately by calling them the nword because of the way they breath and tells them to go back to the plantation. Besides the moral issues of what’s being said the whole matched is ruined. The person takes the bait and They start trying to team kill. No one will surrender and I’m stuck running down mid trying to frag out. A straight waste of time 40 minutes.

These people are the people that the community will be better off without. I don’t even play that much... game is my most played game ever but still compared to most it’s a fraction of the time. Since I’ve experienced this it makes me wonder how bad it is in casuals.

Riot has already laid great ground work for a friendly less toxic community and I trust them in their next step to take it further. How hard is this to grasp? Shit talking about in game or friendly banter is fine but straight racist shit deserves to be banned.

Phase

Stop playing the victim. You talked shit so I gave it back which riot is okay with. No one gets banned for that.

Let me break it down for you. 98% of games coms are good with no issues besides some people not using mics. 1.5% turns into shit talking which is okay. People will call me out for a bad flash or are mad that some one is bottom fragging. This usually turns into friendly shit talking which doesn’t ruin the match and sometimes works in favor of building team morale.

.05% is straight racist shit. I’ve had matches were a teammate gave feed back to another who in turn goes off immediately by calling them the nword because of the way they breath and tells them to go back to the plantation. Besides the moral issues of what’s being said the whole matched is ruined. The person takes the bait and They start trying to team kill. No one will surrender and I’m stuck running down mid trying to frag out. A straight waste of time 40 minutes.

These people are the people that the community will be better off without. I don’t even play that much... game is my most played game ever but still compared to most it’s a fraction of the time. Since I’ve experienced this it makes me wonder how bad it is in casuals.

Riot has already laid great ground work for a friendly less toxic community and I trust them in their next step to take it further. How hard is this to grasp? Shit talking about in game or friendly banter is fine but straight racist shit deserves to be banned.
Censorship is the death knell for any once-good community.

AJUMP23

If I played a game that was going to record our chat I would stop playing. Not because anything I say or do is wrong or but because I don't think you should be spying on people in the name of "helping the community"

Top Bottom