• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RIP South Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blinky

http://www.animated-news.com/

Matt Stone and Trey Parker have posted some audio clips [WARNING: VERY MATURE CONTENT] from the editing room of their new movie Team America: World Police in which they talk about their previous projects, the new film and, in a QuickTime video clip, the eventual demise of their hit show South Park, which they say will end after "two more runs". The site also has a very loose talking fan forum, and is keeping track on production of Team America, posting a couple scoops so far, with more to come [WARNING: VERY MATURE CONTENT].

Lot's of people are upset. I think they've had a good run. Two more seasons is enough.

Discuss.

BlackMage

Banned
Yeah, they have had a good run with South Park and ending it soon would be a good idea seeing as how there is only so much you can do with it.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Two more runs isn't likely two more seasons, though. A run is probably just those 7 episode sets that they split the season into.

Guzim

Even if it's 9 or 10 seasons, any show that runs for that long is impressive. But South Park could go on for much longer. It's such an amazing show.

Fifty

That's not really bad news. I love the show, but I know that Trey and Matt can only move on to bigger and brighter things. It's going to be interesting to see how Team America turns out. It'll be nice to see South Park go out on a high, unlike the pathetic shell that The Simpsons has become.

Gattsu25

Banned
Fifty said:
It'll be nice to see South Park go out on a high, unlike the pathetic shell that The Simpsons has become.

That's true...I stopped watching South Park for a while...was too absurd and not very funny, but these recent episodes have been great :)

Fifty

By the way, is there a link to those audio clips? I went to that site and didn't even see it listed as a news story, or on the forums.

SKluck

Banned
Watch them make another show that does exactly the same thing but with different characters. It's the same thing as Family Guy/American Dad.

Jonny said:
Yeah, they have had a good run with South Park and ending it soon would be a good idea seeing as how there is only so much you can do with it.
I'd disagree. As long as there's a focus on current events and trends in entertainment or the world in general, the possibilities for shows will continue to present themselves.

I don't, though, disagree that ending the show wouldn't be a bad thing. Good shows ending is generally only a very bad thing if they're canceled and thus we won't expect to see much from those responsible for it.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Drensch said:
It's also fair to say that people will actually care when the Simpsons end.

People will care when south park ends, too. And by "care", I do not mean "throw parties to celebrate that the corpse of one of their all time favorite shows is no longer being allowed to be raped by savage rabid gorillas", as applies to the Simpsons.

Fifty

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but The Simpsons is much more of a cultural icon than South Park ever will be (sadly) and of course it will be a big deal when it finally goes off the air. Nostalgia is a powerful drug.

In the very final scene in the last South Park, everyone but Kenny should die, Kenny should say (a muffled) "oh my god" and then it should cut to the credits.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
From TV Tome:
August 17, 2004

Correction: Matt and Trey actually meant two more SEASONS, as they have two more seasons on the contract for Comedy Central. (Up to the tenth season) So, actually, it's ending in 2006/2007 after the 10th season.

I think that's a good run. I'll miss it when it's gone, but as long as Matt and Trey are doing other projects, it'll be ok. I would agree though, that with the focus on current events and stuff the show could go on as long as they wanted, but either way, it's been great.

Hournda

It sucks to see that they're going but I guess after 40 more episodes or so they'll probably have run out of ideas by then.

Fifty

After listening to their thoughts (not on that site) about doing the South Park movie, while at the same time working on episodes, I can understand where their comments were coming from. :) If they've been working as hard as they seem to be, perhaps by the time the new season rolls around their thoughts won't be as negative. If they are, that's cool too, as long as it's not miserable in the South Park offices 24/7 :D

Whatever, I guess we just haven't had a South Park thread in a while, and I'm just rambling.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Nah, if anything the two guys are just extremely worn out right now. They've been plugging away at Team America nonstop, and once that's done they only get a single day of rest before they need to start cranking out the new South Park episodes. In all of their interviews lately they've been rather frustrated and tired, although they'll readily admit it's still tons of fun, just also a real pain in the ass.

Love the show, and also feel it's best to leave on a hight note.

But I'm just chiming in to say..

liukangbakingga.jpg

.... dear God, best avatar ever!

Drensch

People will care when south park ends, too.

I'm sure. It's just that it seems to me, that its popularity has waned, as has the show. I used to love it, and it pained me to miss it, but now I don't know anyone who watches it, let alone who cares. The show(for the most part) just isn't a big deal once the initial shock wore off. I still watch the Simpsons-and know more people who care about missing it.

I personally feel that South Park is in its prime right now. Its the funniest its ever been. The last 3 seasons or so have really been pretty hilarious for the most part. That's more than I can say for some "other" shows.

Phoenix

All good things must come to an end and South Park is no exception. The morons at the wheel at Fox keep trying to enchant the zombie corpse of the Simpsons to keep it going. A lot of it likely has to do wiht the fact that they are afraid of the change that will inevitably follow losing one of their anchor shows. They'll actually have to come up with a lineup again.

This reminds me a lot of the situation surrounding the Cosby Show. After the Cos left, NBC was in shambles and it took them nearly a decade to recover. I expect Fox to (unfortunately) milk the Simpsons until there is an outcry against the show or something. For them to shut it down is a huge marketshare risk for them.

Belfast

I dunno. Maybe its a good idea and maybe its not. Over time I think South Park became more and more topical, taking on issues and popculture references that concern events that could've only taken place a few months ago. The cheap and quick style of animation that they use allows them to stay pretty current and on top of things. That way, they always have something new to say. Even if they run out of ideas, they could continue going by parodying current events, but id they feel its time to let it die, perhaps they should.

Guzim

Phoenix said:
This reminds me a lot of the situation surrounding the Cosby Show. After the Cos left, NBC was in shambles and it took them nearly a decade to recover.
You do remember a show called Seinfeld right?

I think this is a good thing. A lot of shows run themselves into the ground and then, that's it! Done. Funny in memory, but it got ruined.

This leaves them open to come back and do more episodes 4-5 years from now, when everyone is reminiscing about SP and how great it was. BAM! New episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom