• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Third Power

Ok, so there wasn't a party at all, but there should have been.

5df4afb5a4d1eb0cab10cceabaa607b8b81a9078c8a89a8cacc5f0b7a310812d_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_639.jpg

I discovered this game completely by accident while searching for Rise of the Tomb Raider on PSN. I love turn-based RPGs, so I was interested, but I've been burnt on really bad old-school style indie RPGs (looking at you KEMCO).

Well, I took the chance and I'm glad I did. The game is exactly what it claims to be - a turn-based RPG that is reminiscent of 2D JRPGs from the 16 or 32-bit era. And it does it very well.

Rise-Third-Power_01-12-22.jpg

The story and characters are very impressive for an indie team. The gameplay fits right in with games from that era. The OST is also better than expected.

As much as I enjoyed the game, I really felt compelled to plug it after emailing one of the creators. I had what I thought was a glitched trophy that I could find nothing about online, so I tried emailing the company. He emailed me back and walked me through the trophy and how he modified the checks to be more thorough recently. He even sent me spreadsheet images of all the checks to help me figure out what I missed (and it showed the trophy was not glitched - I messed up).

maxresdefault.jpg

Regardless, the game stands on its own as a very good old-school style RPG with a bit more mature plot than we got in those days. I don’t know what all platforms it's on, but I recommend any other fans of the genre to give it a shot. It's currently on sale for $14.99 on PSN.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
Ok, so there wasn't a party at all, but there should have been.

5df4afb5a4d1eb0cab10cceabaa607b8b81a9078c8a89a8cacc5f0b7a310812d_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_639.jpg

I discovered this game completely by accident while searching for Rise of the Tomb Raider on PSN. I love turn-based RPGs, so I was interested, but I've been burnt on really bad old-school style indie RPGs (looking at you KEMCO).

Well, I took the chance and I'm glad I did. The game is exactly what it claims to be - a turn-based RPG that is reminiscent of 2D JRPGs from the 16 or 32-bit era. And it does it very well.

Rise-Third-Power_01-12-22.jpg

The story and characters are very impressive for an indie team. The gameplay fits right in with games from that era. The OST is also better than expected.

As much as I enjoyed the fame, I really felt compelled to plug it after emailing one of the creators. I had what I thought was a glitched trophy that I could find nothing about online, so I tried emailing the company. He emailed me back and walked me through the trophy and how he modified the checks to be more thorough recently. He even sent me spreadsheet images of all the checks to help me figure out what I missed (and it showed the trophy was not glitched - I messed up).

maxresdefault.jpg

Regardless, the game stands on its own as a very good old-school style RPG with a bit more mature plot than we got in those days. I don’t know what all platforms it's on, but I recommend any other fans of the genre to give it a shot. It's currently on sale for $14.99 on PSN.
I'm sure this is a kemco game, or is it just published by them?

Guilty_AI

Not exactly LTTP since this game released not too long ago (and there was no party).

Either way its on GOG, so wishlisted.

Guilty_AI

Such games were extremely boring back in early 1990's and pretty unbearable. Imagine playing such games 30 years later.

asks mr bean GIF
Imagine playing games that are just a compilation of boring cutscenes with average stories, tied together by uninspired gameplay segments.

I must've just looked at the cover and assumed when browsing the Xbox store (meaning I promptly ignored it)

Maybe I'll check out a trailer or something then :)
Lol, I do that too. If it looks like Kemco, I just ignore it. I wish there was a filter button where I could keep all Kemco games from showing up at all.

PhaseJump

Banned
Linus mentioned this game on the WAN show on April 8th, as the next thing he wanted to play, along with Sea of Stars.

He didn't even realize it was already released at the time.

anthony2690

Banned
Lol, I do that too. If it looks like Kemco, I just ignore it. I wish there was a filter button where I could keep all Kemco games from showing up at all.
How frequent are battle encounters? I picked up octopath traveller a while back, and the encounter rate is absurd imo! :l

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Having watched a few videos I think this game looks cool. Only thing I don''t dig is the art for the character portraits during conversations, but everything else looks great, specially those battle animations.

Thanks for posting about this game OP, never heard about it before.

Top Bottom