• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Road House remake with Jake Gyllenhaal as lead and Doug Liman as director begins shooting, Conor McGregor joins

Will it be any good?

• Total voters
The remake, which was once set to star Ronda Rousey in a gender swapped lead, is set to start shooting this month. Jake Gyllenhaal will now be in Patrick's Swayze's role. Doug Liman is directing, and Joel Silver, who produced the original, will be producing. Other announced cast members include Billy Magnussen, Daniela Melchior, Gbemisola Ikumelo, Lukas Gage, Travis Van Winkle, and recently announced, UFC fighter Conor McGregor.

From the article:
Famously starring Patrick Swayze, “Road House” centered on a bouncer with a mysterious past who overhauls a rowdy bar and takes down local corruption in the process. For the remake, Gyllenhaal plays a former UFC fighter who, per an official synopsis, takes a job as a bouncer at a rough-and-tumble roadhouse in the Florida Keys, but soon discovers that not everything is what it seems in this tropical paradise. Production will start in the Dominican Republic in August 2022.

source: https://www.indiewire.com/2022/08/jake-gyllenhaal-road-house-remake-doug-liman-amazon-1234747369/

So, what do you think? Could it be any good?

Personally, I know it's not gonna have the same magic, but I'm glad it wasn't Rousey, who can't act to save her life. Gyllenhaal has quite the range, playing everything from sociopath reporter to beefcake boxer and he tends to go all in when he's the lead. Doug Liman knows his way around action when he's at his best, having directed the original Bourne Identity, Edge of Tomorrow, Mr. & Mrs. Smith, and American Made. Joel Silver produced some of the most iconic action films of the 80s & 90s, including Die Hard, Lethal Weapon, Commando, Predator, Demolition Man, and The Matrix. The genre declined and so did his output, but he still put his money behind some good stuff including V for Vendetta, Ninja Assassin, RocknRolla, Book of Eli, Sherlock Holmes, Non-Stop, and the Nice Guys. So for me, I know that there's people I know and love in front of the camera, behind the camera, and backing the whole thing from the top.

Patrick S.

Banned
Why were they going to gender swap Swayze's character?

It's clear they don't understand the original film at all.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
This gonna be like the point break remake all over again

Let me guess. It’s going to have a lower age rating and a whole message.

Obligatory

giphy.gif

They trying rouse Swayze's Ghost? Granted, he's a very tender loving Ghost who normally just wants to do sexy pottery but looks like he's gonna have to deliver an Unchained Beatdown from beyond the grave.

RAÏSanÏa

It's going to be difficult to give a shit about the circumstances of a bar in a corrupt town in Florida.

Be nice.

It doesn't give the sense of being a thoughtful movie.

This gonna be like the point break remake all over again

Let me guess. It’s going to have a lower age rating and a whole message.
I hope not. The Point Break remake didn't have any noteworthy, good, or experienced people on it in front or behind the camera. Yeah it's not gonna have patented 80s magic, the excess and silliness, or the rowdy charm and naivety that could only exist in that era (we're in a cynical, bitter, angry, broken and unimaginative dark age) I don't have delusions about. But if we can't stop them from remaking this, then at least they've not thrown it to a bunch of nobodies.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The entire appeal of Roadhouse was its unapologetic trashyness. Take that away and all that remains is a very basic B-Tier western scenario transplanted into the modern day.

PC-ify this and its deader than dead.

I love the original, up there with Commando as a true high-point of 80's macho-cheese!

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Yeah, who wants this? Between Sam Elliot (who is gonna fill those boots?), that SPECTACULAR Kelly Lynch scene, and Swayze being sorta kinda cast against type (from his popular image at the time, Steel Dawn notwithstanding) how to recapture that magic?

At least Rousey would keep it cheesy and I'd love to see her do all that jiu-jitsu in a crowded bar against 275 pound bruisers that otherwise would shatter her bones with ease.

Wow no love in here at all for Jake Gyllenhaal huh. What's up with that?

The entire appeal of Roadhouse was its unapologetic trashyness. Take that away and all that remains is a very basic B-Tier western scenario transplanted into the modern day.

PC-ify this and its deader than dead.

I love the original, up there with Commando as a true high-point of 80's macho-cheese!
Well then you're in luck the producer of both the original and Commando is producing this, and he hasn't backed any PC-fied films as far as I know.

No, i took my username from the colt pistol.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Sounds like New Coke or The Chevy Chase Show.

How long until they remake The Wraith with some YouTube kid.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
For fuck sake, NO!

Road House is a trashy 80s film, and that's why it's beloved. That's it's charm. It's cheesy as fuck and a product of it's time. It doesn't need a fucking remake.

Here is an insane idea. Rather than remaking Road House, how about they put in some effort in creating an original idea?

I'll bust a disrespectful nut at the very idea of this remake.

HAYA8U5A

I like Jake and Liman has had some good movies (Although with his recent output it seems he only has success with Cruise who makes mostly anything he is in good) so I won't totally dismiss it but the fact that Rousey was originally lined up for it doesn't inspire confidence. Nobody with a decent script or faith in a film would consider casting somebody with less acting ability than Tommy Wiseau and less charisma than I could find from a twig in my backyard.

Top Bottom