• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Road of Naruto - 20th anniversary PV

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
My childhood man

Grew up with it, read the Manga, watched the show, played the games. Then got married, my wife was not into anime, we watched Naruto and she loved it. It was her gateway to anime, she now loves it. Now we watch everything together. We also went to Japan during fall 2019, right before the pandemic. There she bought a Naruto volume without telling me.

She then revealed with said volume she was pregnant

2m2d9HP.png

Now just waiting for my 1 year old to grow up to rewatch it all over again!

VP brought so many memories

Last edited:

Fbh

Loved it before the time skip. But afterwards I started to gradually loose interest.

Like Dragonball before it, Naruto was a victim of its own success. They stretched the story thin because it was too popular to finish.

Naruto…and I’m not joking about this…influenced an entire generation. It’s a vibe, and tbh we’re pretty lucky we grew up on a show like this that has very solid themes about general life. Just look at the garbage being put out these days, nothing really cool to watch for adolescent years anymore

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I’m more of a Bleach guy but no doubt Naruto was a cultural phenomenon comparable to the likes of Dragonball and Yugioh. It sometimes has absolutely gorgeous animation and clearly resonated with many.

Also awww thats a cute story OP.

TrueLegend

Yeah. Naruto is great. If we remove the fillers and early academy episode where there is no presence of Naruto in Boruto then it is still solid. I stopped watching Naruto after it ended and Boruto sucked hard in beginning but the story and the themes are still kicking ass. Naruto's Baryon mode episode was the best episode yet and you get to see the skills of everyone at leaf village more. I don't watch it regularly though, I haven't watched any this year but yeah it's still good.

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
Loved it before the time skip. But afterwards I started to gradually loose interest.

Like Dragonball before it, Naruto was a victim of its own success. They stretched the story thin because it was too popular to finish.
I promise you, Shippuden isn't as bad as you think, specially if you skip fillers. It's actually great

Loved Naruto up until the ending where we learn
Kaguya was revealed to be behind absolutely everything and aliens and chakra thieves and chakra trees - it was terrible. It should have just ended with Madara.

Even with the dips in quality in the manga - it was still a great ride. Same with Bleach (though I would say Bleach felt a lot worse given how much it just reused the same damn arc).

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
Kaguya was revealed to be behind absolutely everything and aliens and chakra thieves and chakra trees - it was terrible. It should have just ended with Madara.

Even with the dips in quality in the manga - it was still a great ride. Same with Bleach (though I would say Bleach felt a lot worse given how much it just reused the same damn arc).
It wouldn't say terrible, but could have been handled better. I liked how that led to the events of the boruto movie (this was before even a series was announced)

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
Naruto for me ends after episode 500 (skipping fillers of course), The Last movie, and the Boruto movie (or those events in the anime), as well as that story about Saradas mom and Shin, and the story with orochi and Mizuki, since all those were canon. But that's it. I havent gotten into karma, Kara, kawaki, the events with jiren and kurama etc. I plan to visit it once it's all over, if it's considered good by then, and when I can skip fillers

But a more straightforward ending is, finish the show, watch the Last and Boruto movie, that's it

Last edited:

GymWolf

I still loved bleach to death thanks to the anime, music was so fucking good.

Can't wait for the anime final arc for that one.

YukiOnna

This was a great PV to celebrate 20 years. Every single scene from beginning to end I remember and my not-too-distant youth with it. Hopefully, every reader or watcher of a Shueisha Jump series has that one or two work that they grew up along with, that's the best part about it being long-running.

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
It was decent up until around the end of the Pain arc.
The final stretch was pretty terrible IMO
Everyone seems to stick to that narrative for some reason, but no, Naruto doesn't stop being good after the pain arc. Plenty of great stuff and moments happen after it. This comes from someone who read the manga, and watched Shippuden twice (as it was happening, and when I rewatched with the wife) . Heck, I'm watching the Normies reaction to the anime, they are ending Shippuden now, and not only are they having a good time, but so am I with watching them. Too many fillers came during that time, and I think people had a sour taste. But if you remove fillers, some of my favorite moments happen after pain

Like even if you want to argue for bad, mediocre, meh, etc. There might be some arguments for that, but terrible, definitely wasn't that. It was good with flaws, and sometimes outright amazing.

Guy.... Naruto vs obito.... Some moments with kushina, Madara real introduction... Gosh

Last edited:

Wunray

That was a treat to watch, Naruto was goated, shame what boruto did to it, but IO will always have this to go back and watch so I'm ok.

Also funny how my spell check has boruto as an unknown word but Naruto is a known word.

Imagine the timeline we could have got where we got a prequel with Jiraiya or Minato or Hashirama or someone else instead of Boruto.

squallheart

Enjoyed the beginning of the series and shippuden had its moments but during thr pain arc, my brother was watching as well and I told h I bet I can predict the ending. When I explained it to him since he had already read the Manga I'm like I'm done so stopped watching it and never finished it xD

Kenpachii

It was great because it actually killed people, it was a pretty darn brutal anime at the start, specially when those kids and that gaara clashes in that forest.

The fight at the end with lee vs gaara was just insanely good to the point u either where hooked or u don't.

The time skip was fine, the problem really was the endless bullshit war with endless power levels that all these shows at some point fall in a trap towards. It's shit. The fillers where also god awful.

Still better pacing then one piece tho, that series is unwatchable.

Naruto is a show that truly deserves an official 'Kai/Abridged/Brotherhood' version. There are great story bits and great individual moments that are weighed down by typical shonen pacing issues. Imagine how much better it would be with the fat trimmed out and touched up animation.

Blade2.0

This was a great PV to celebrate 20 years. Every single scene from beginning to end I remember and my not-too-distant youth with it. Hopefully, every reader or watcher of a Shueisha Jump series has that one or two work that they grew up along with, that's the best part about it being long-running.
Where can I watch the anniversary special?

Top Bottom