• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roblox bigger than Nintendo?

reksveks

Just a weird and interesting fact that I learnt today based off one of the interesting Twitter threads going around the place about the exploitative nature of Roblox towards devs/consumers.

This is also more of an indictment of the stock market than a 'real' valuation of the two companies although the market valuation seems to be the one that people care about but

Roblox · Market Cap of 64.70 billion USD
Nintendo· Market Cap of 6.96 trillion JPY (61.3 billion USD)

Youtube video about Roblox and some of the complaints

P.s. yes the revenue of Nintendo so outweigh Roblox, it's a joke.

Last edited:
It has 47m daily active users. Probably more than Nintendo (and other console publishers). I can kinda see it. But the stock market has been a joke for many years now anyway.

Now wait until Roblox gets into the NFT business :messenger_winking:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Tesla is worth more than all other car makers combined ( as of October 21) but sells far fewer cars. This market cap insanity scares me. Will Roblox grow? Definitely. Roblox has ~ 920 M in revenue in 2020 vs 12 billion for Nintendo ( 16 billion in 2021). I don't care to look up the profits because there is so much of a disconnect with the revenue and market caps.

GHG

This is just indicative of the current state of US equities. It's the bubble of all bubbles at the moment when you consider the impact crypto has also had on the market.

Someone mentioned Tesla above but you also have Rivian valued at 105 billion which is more than Nintendo despite not even having a product on the market yet:

Also Roblox is trading at 40x price/sales. Ridiculous.

Last edited:
This is just indicative of the current state of US equities. It's the bubble of all bubbles at the moment when you consider the impact crypto has also had on the market.

Someone mentioned Tesla above but you also have Rivian valued at 105 more than Nintendo despite not even having a product on the market yet:

Our entire economy is a joke. The inevitable implosion will be interesting for sure.

Reactions: GHG

Nautilus

Banned
The market cap is much more about the "future potential" of a company than its actual worth right now, because of one simple principle: You buy stock of a company when its "small" because when it gets big, you reap the profits when the market cap skyrockets in value.

It often time doesnt reflect the actual value of a company because of that.

GHG

Our entire economy is a joke. The inevitable implosion will be interesting for sure.

The implosion has already started in my opinion, but because of the fact that they need to do it in a way that the elite can get their money out without there being significant liquidity issues it appears as if nothing is happening on the surface.

I am just hoping to get my stocks and my parent's out in time.

If you are in index funds then all you need to do is keep an eye on the top stocks like Apple, Microsoft, Google, Amazon, Facebook, etc. Once you see those starting to fall significantly then you know we are in trouble. They are the only things propping up the market right now.

reksveks

If you are in index funds then all you need to do is keep an eye on the top stocks like Apple, Microsoft, Google, Amazon, Facebook, etc. Once you see those starting to fall significantly then you know we are in trouble. They are the only things propping up the market right now.

Trading individual stocks at the moment, but 80% of my portfolio is in faang+ms. Parents are in a relatively conservative fund so less worried about them.

An entirely serious pro-tip: follow Nancy Pelosi's portfolio movements
Any nice sources?

UnNamed

Banned
Market speculations: the thread. We live in a era when everyone is shifting to crypto and NFT hoping to make profit, and some actually did it, and a old game you can easily find in a flea market is sold for 1M dollars.

Also Nintendo should have fewer stocks in the market IIRC.

Von Hugh

Someone mentioned Tesla above but you also have Rivian valued at 105 billion which is more than Nintendo despite not even having a product on the market yet:

Tesla and Rivian values being ridiculously high while chip and component shortage is still going on, and so is the covid situation. That is a big divergence, and probably a very bubbly one.

But who knows when the bubble will pop.

Top Bottom