• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roblox is down and its developer has given no indication why

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In a tweet posted October 29, the official Roblox account said “We know you’re having issues using Roblox right now. We’re sorry and working hard to get things back to normal.”

Since then, the account has tweeted again, implying that the team isn’t sure why the platform, which allows users to create and monetize their own games, is down.

“Still making progress on today’s outage. We’ll continue to keep you updated. Once again, we apologize for the delay.

We know that this outage was not related to any specific experiences or partnerships on the platform.”

Visiting roblox.com will take players to a screen which reads “We’re making things more awesome. Be back soon.”

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Hopefully it dies. Kids need to play actual games, I don’t understand why they play this
You know not what you speak. Roblox is the best kids game. My kids love it and they have been playing since they were 5. There is literally games where all you do is fall down hills and it seems stupid but its pretty fun. Its also pretty easy to monitor and limit as a parent. Like someone else said its a constant stream of new games they can choose from.

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
youtube the evil is defeated GIF

Kokoloko85

You ain't a kid and you ain't no father to a kid, if you where you'd understand

Actually I have plenty experience. They have fits when I don’t play with them and I cant stand the game. Luckily the older one has moved on to Minecraft and I play that with her.

Its a pile of shit whether your a kid or not.
I remember my little brother use to play and finish games as a 2 year old like Sonic 2, Streets of Rage etc.

Kids 6-10 now days can’t hold there attention on a game and as soon as they lose they don’t wanna try. There friends are the same.

It’s basically an introduction to gaming for kids, so the simplicity makes perfect sense to me.

My oldest eventually moved on to Minecraft, then Kerbal and Switch, etc. There is a sea of gaming out there, so it’s appealing to little ones learning how it all works.

Kacho

Gold Member
It’s basically an introduction to gaming for kids, so the simplicity makes perfect sense to me.

My oldest eventually moved on to Minecraft, then Kerbal and Switch, etc. There is a sea of gaming out there, so it’s appealing to little ones learning how it all works.
My kids don't play it, but their friends at school do so they're always talking about it. Crazy how popular it is.

Xenon

I still don't understand what Roblox is and I am too lazy to bother and look it up.

Take the concept of create and share from Little Big Planet, the graphics from Lego Games on the PS2, and every predatory monetization techniques used video games mix it up and eat it. What you would shit out is Roblox.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
My step daughter found out what Squid Game was all thanks to Roblox. She made the mistake of telling the wrong people what she does in Roblox, which is anything users create. It could be a nice fashion show where you dress up your avatar or it could be a game about murdering other people. It’s a drug for kids with wild imaginations. I’ve blocked friends because I don’t trust people who hop onto these platforms. For all we know it could have a lot of predators looking to play these games with kids. It’s so accessible too. Install the player and run the games through your web browser.

Malakhov

Banned
My daughtrer plays this shit, pretty much only this. Weve been busy since friday so she has no idea it is down... Oh boy

Kadve

Gotta be honest, to this day I have no fucking idea what Roblox actually is and how it plays.

Some Minecraft clone?
Released in 2006, so It predates minecraft by a few years,

And its more of creation tool for making games than anything (think of it like RPG maker). Described as "LEGO for software developers" by its creators.

The fact that you genuinely own the games you make and can earn real money trough your own set of micro transactions for example is also helping its popularity.

Last edited:

Flintty

You know not what you speak. Roblox is the best kids game. My kids love it and they have been playing since they were 5. There is literally games where all you do is fall down hills and it seems stupid but its pretty fun. Its also pretty easy to monitor and limit as a parent. Like someone else said its a constant stream of new games they can choose from.
My two sons have also used it to get into game making.
My youngest actually did some animation work for someone and was paid via Steam gift for a game he wanted 🤣

Ballthyrm

I still don’t understand what Roblox is

It's Uber or Taskrabbit but for Kids to start them early on wage slave.
Instead of being payed minimum wage for moving you around or making stuff for you.

They instead makes video games that they can share for fake money.
Other kids then buy fake money with real money and buy your game.

Roblox just is "the platform" that facilitates this wonderful "creator" economy and makes tons of money.
So in short, it incentives children to work for free so some of them can make money just like youtube can, except only the 1% of the 1% actually makes any money at all.

Isn't technology wonderful.

As for why it went Down, I suspect their slave labor in the Uighur children school probably stop pedaling on their "exercise bikes".

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It's Uber or Taskrabbit but for Kids to start them early on wage slave.
Instead of being payed minimum wage for moving you around or making stuff for you.

They instead makes video games that they can share for fake money.
Other kids then buy fake money with real money and buy your game.

Roblox just is "the platform" that facilitates this wonderful "creator" economy and makes tons of money.
So in short, it incentives children to work for free so some of them can make money just like youtube can, except only the 1% of the 1% actually makes any money at all.

Isn't technology wonderful.

As for why it went Down, I suspect their slave labor in the Uighur children school probably stop pedaling on their "exercise bikes".
🙄There are hundreds of games for free. My kids have bought anything for Roblox

Ballthyrm

🙄There are hundreds of games for free. My kids have bought anything for Roblox
Sure, just remember, if it's free, you are the product.

Having children getting used to play video games for free is just going to narrow the games that get made and its setting them up to be abused with MTX in the future.

Nothing is without consequences. Roblox business model is everything wrong with the modern video games industry.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
This is a sign. Everybody should take advantage of this by making their kids play Super Star Wars and eat vegetables.

McCheese

into the third day of downtime now, they've come out and ruled out external (i.e. hackers) so my money is on them needing to restore something from a backup and discovering the backups were not running/storing properly. No planned infrastructure change would take this long to "undo" as at an enterprise level you have a change request process you carry out first, which includes stuff like a risk assessment and a plan on how to revert said changes if it goes wrong. But I have seen a lot of big enterprise companies get sloppy with backups, they have a ton of automated backups happening so they sleep soundly at night, but never schedule enough time for the developers to actually do a trial-run of recovering using those backups, so often you don't find out the backups are not sufficient until you need them and it's too late.

Roblox is highly monetised, a lot of auction house style trading between users, real-money to Robux conversion both ways.. so if they've gone and lost data, they are in big trouble.

Having said all of this, they might just have forgotten to renew a domain name or third party API - and are having to update a bunch of hard-coded shit and deploy it all and re-test.

TLDR; If I lose my "Adopt Me" progress and just go back to being a junior babysitter i'm fucking done with Roblox.

Top Bottom