• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League is closer to real soccer than FIFA.

SimTourist

Gameplay wise it's absolutely no contest. While in FIFA you're at the mercy of how the game decides to interpret your inputs and the random roll of the dice nature of shooting/passing/defending where it feels like the system makes the decision, as well as having to control multiple players at once, you never feel like scoring or getting scored on is your achievement/fault. In RL you play as yourself and have direct effect on the outcome of the game, goals feel earned, defence feels satisfying and you make strategic decisions and field/boost control is important. FIFA feels like a slot machine, the most you can do is pull the lever and hope for the best, you're not actually in control.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Gameplay wise it's absolutely no contest. While in FIFA you're at the mercy of how the game decides to interpret your inputs and the random roll of the dice nature of shooting/passing/defending where it feels like the system makes the decision, as well as having to control multiple players at once, you never feel like scoring or getting scored on is your achievement/fault. In RL you play as yourself and have direct effect on the outcome of the game, goals feel earned, defence feels satisfying and you make strategic decisions and field/boost control is important. FIFA feels like a slot machine, the most you can do is pull the lever and hope for the best, you're not actually in control.

What? I feel in control in FIFA. For it to feel like a slot machine, I'd have to just smash the shoot button and hope for the best, but that's not the case at all in FIFA (or EAFC as it's now known)

If I lightly tap the shoot button, I'm going to lightly tap the ball and produce a grass cutter slot in. If I hold the shoot button I'm going to sky it into row Z. I can also choose the direction of my shot, as well as having options such as chipping the keeper, finesse shots, volleying on the single touch etc etc.

That's just shooting. Everything else is also in my control from defending to build up play.

Bridges

I would like more sports games where you play as an individual instead of the team. It definitely gives it a more electric feeling

Banjo64

cumsessed
What? I feel in control in FIFA. For it to feel like a slot machine, I'd have to just smash the shoot button and hope for the best, but that's not the case at all in FIFA (or EAFC as it's now known)

If I lightly tap the shoot button, I'm going to lightly tap the ball and produce a grass cutter slot in. If I hold the shoot button I'm going to sky it into row Z. I can also choose the direction of my shot, as well as having options such as chipping the keeper, finesse shots, volleying on the single touch etc etc.

That's just shooting. Everything else is also in my control from defending to build up play.
How is the goalkeeper or team mate AI within your control on FIFA?

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
FIFA is simulating how it feels to play football about as good as Street Fighter is simulating how it is to be in a street fight.

Any real-life team-based sportsball adaptation is fundamentally flawed to start with.

And yes, Rocket League is the most team sport like game I'm aware of in terms of the way you develop mechanical skill and strategy/tactics.

Three

I would like more sports games where you play as an individual instead of the team. It definitely gives it a more electric feeling
I haven't played a FIFA in ages but I'm pretty sure FIFA had this before. Where you could play as a single player online in a pro club. They even had an offline "the journey" campaign mode where it was the career of an individual footballer.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
How is the goalkeeper or team mate AI within your control on FIFA?

Pretty decent.

If I'm playing offline or online against one person, then the AI team mates are given instructions before the game. Do I want them to pressure after possession loss, or play the long ball game etc. I can also give individual players instructions and modify positions within a chosen formation. Besides that I take control of players with the ball. I can also take control of the keeper while in play if I want to.

You can also choose to play a match as a single player offline or online. There is even a 11v11 online mode where everyone playing is in control of a single player.

Anyway, my counter argument originally was against the claim that FIFA is like a "slot machine" where you just press a button and hope for the best, which clearly isn't the case.

I should add that I also love Rocket League. I've been playing it with my son since day one. We're both pretty decent, but I'll admit he's better and has saved our asses online too many times to count.

Go_Ly_Dow

I gave up Fifa for good in 2011 after I realised the gameplay felt slot machine esque. I have a group of pals who still play it and all they do is complain, nothings changed blah blah with each new entry. Yet they'll come back to it each year. The Fifa cycle is real.

Top Bottom