• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockstar Games confirms Grand Theft Auto 6 is in active development

NeoGiffer

Is it too much to ask for any new, non GTA games from Rockstar?

giphy.gif

ToxicWeeb

Banned
It's sad that you guys are hyping this up honestly. GTA5 is a massively overrated turd. Awful oval map with no San Fierro or Las Venturas. 3 protagonists, all underdeveloped. Short campaign. Barely any enterable buildings. Downgraded physics compared to 4. Tons of cut content like being able to buy houses (something that they teased in the trailer and it was just a lie). I could go on.

If you're an online player fine, but for single player things are looking grim.

Last edited:
Will it have a single player component, or are they just not gonna bother with that this time around?
I wish they would just dump the SP honestly, and focus on the MP. Rockstar SP just isn’t that engaging, but their open world sandboxes are great for multiplayer mayhem. I’d like to see them throw all their resources into the aspect that works.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
It's sad that you guys are hyping this up honestly. GTA5 is a massively overrated turd. Awful oval map with no San Fierro or Las Venturas. 3 protagonists, all underdeveloped. Short campaign. Barely any enterable buildings. Downgraded physics compared to 4. Tons of cut content like being able to buy houses (something that they teased in the trailer and it was just a lie). I could go on.

If you're an online player fine, but for single player things are looking grim.
GTA 5 is still by far the best open world in gaming. I uppose RDR2 is technically better but GTA 5 still Feels the most alive, has the most random events, is the most fun to play and is not just vast emptiness and lifeless. It feels lived in. Only R* can top R* when it comes to open worlds. GTA 6 will be glorious

jaysius

Banned
RDR2 sucked RDR 1 was amazing, whatever magic they forgot in RDR 2 they need to remember to put into GTA 6, GTA 5 wasn't that great either, for all the annoying cousin bullshit 4 was a better game.

It won't be a great game now that they have to be so fucking politically correct.

Last edited:

ToxicWeeb

Banned
GTA 5 is still by far the best open world in gaming. I uppose RDR2 is technically better but GTA 5 still Feels the most alive, has the most random events, is the most fun to play and is not just vast emptiness and lifeless. It feels lived in. Only R* can top R* when it comes to open worlds. GTA 6 will be glorious
Half of the map has nothing in it, that's the definition of empty and lifeless

Arcadialane

Don't get your hopes up.

This will be a GTA without Dan Houser, who left Rockstar after he said he wouldn't like to write another GTA in the current climate of "intense liberal progression and intense conservatism".

It's also coming from a Rockstar who wants to punish the GTA players who run over women or minorities.
Just imagine a GTA game where you need to carefully only run over white guys when running from the police.

Yeah, It's one thing with the rest of the games and the industry, but seeing GTA being neutered, for me at least, is going to be especially sad to see

amigastar

I hope i will still live when GTA 6 comes out. Today you never know :(
Anyways i'm sure GTA 6 will look awesome when it comes out on this gen.

Last edited:
It will be released at the tale-end of this console generation so that within 16 months they could release an "Enhanced" or "Next-Gen" version for the PS6 and New Xbox and millions will double-dip.

Droxcy

About time! Also could see the official Title & Logo drop this week or within the next few as they do once they do these vague posts!

iu

Laptop1991

I need more to be excited to be honest, it's good GTA 6 is coming, but is the SP going to be good!, if it's more online like V, then i'm not that excited.

Bombolone

Gold Member
Always excited to see the new GTA.
Have low expectations for this one though.
GTAO is probably their main focus. Thats a no go for me.
Single player wise, they need to figure out more interesting mission designs to compliment this beautuful, vast open world.
Absurd/fun humor & gameplay would be a start but considering the climate today, i dont have high hopes.

Saber

Gold Member
In the current situation, I dunno if this is good news. I mean their priorities shifted drastically, so I have a feeling the GTA we know will never be the same.

This isn't Rockstar anymore. Time will prove me right. The real Rockstar wouldn't announce a game like this. Say hello to the new millennial and zoomer replacement squad that will surely produce a shit game(s) just like all the other companies that changed over the years while keeping the same team name but changing all the hires.

Spaceman292

Banned
https://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/ak73k92o47ko75/grand-theft-auto-community-update

Grand Theft Auto Community Update​

Updates to The Contract, New Details on GTAV for PS5 and Xbox Series X|S, and More​

February 4, 2022
As the GTA Online community continues to grow stronger with each passing year, we would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for playing with us across 2021, whether through the high-speed thrills of Los Santos Tuners, chasing down Dr. Dre’s lost tracks in The Contract, or just causing havoc in Freemode with friends. As we enter our third console generation and with much more to come in 2022 and beyond, here is a look at just some of what’s on the way.

The Contract – Short Cuts to Short Trips and More​

The Contract brought GTAV’s story into present-day GTA Online as players helped Franklin Clinton set up his celebrity solutions agency and track down hip-hop mogul Dr. Dre’s lost, unreleased music, along with an array of new gameplay including Security Contracts, Payphone Hits, and the ability to step into the shoes of Franklin and Lamar for the Short Trips co-op story missions.

To ensure everyone can easily experience the fun of Short Trips, players will soon be able to access Short Trips directly from the Jobs menu without completing The Contract’s story missions. And look for official versions of Dr. Dre’s tracks from The Contract, hitting your favorite music streaming service today.
vehicle screenshot

A New Generation for GTAV and GTA Online​

With the GTAV community stronger than ever, Grand Theft Auto V and Grand Theft Auto Online will come to the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S platforms this coming March 15, bringing the blockbuster open-world experience to players on the latest hardware. We sincerely appreciate the entire community’s support over the years as the game now heads into an unprecedented third console generation.

Grand Theft Auto V and GTA Online for PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S features new graphics modes with up to 4K resolution, up to 60 frames per second, texture and draw distance upgrades, HDR options and ray-tracing, as well as offering the technical advancements of the latest console generation with faster loading times, immersive 3D audio, platform-specific features like advanced haptic feedback, and much more.

PS4 and Xbox One players eager to continue their journey on the newest generation of hardware will be able to transfer both their GTAV Story Mode progress and their current GTA Online characters and progression to PS5 and Xbox Series X|S with a one-time migration at launch.

Plus, a new standalone version of GTA Online for PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S will debut at launch — available for free for the first three months to PlayStation 5 players — making it easier than ever before for new players to experience everything GTA Online has to offer.

screenshot of Hao

Improvements to GTA Online​

GTA Online for PS5 and Xbox Series also includes a range of improvements including the ability to skip the GTAV Story Mode prologue before entering Online, and an all-new GTA Online Tutorial. New GTA Online players will now enter the Career Builder, with instant access to their choice of one of four illicit businesses — Biker, Executive, Nightclub Owner, or Gunrunner — and a sizable GTA$ windfall to help select a property, high-end vehicle, and the firepower required to kickstart their enterprise. Returning players will also have the option to restart their character and take advantage of the Career Builder at any time.

The PS5 and Xbox Series X|S versions of GTA Online also include the new Hao’s Special Works auto shop, located within the LS Car Meet, which will allow players to upgrade select vehicles (5 new vehicles and 5 existing vehicles at launch) for elite driving performance that takes full advantage of the upgraded power of new console hardware.

What’s Next​

With the unprecedented longevity of GTAV, we know many of you have been asking us about a new entry in the Grand Theft Auto series. With every new project we embark on, our goal is always to significantly move beyond what we have previously delivered — and we are pleased to confirm that active development for the next entry in the Grand Theft Auto series is well underway. We look forward to sharing more as soon as we are ready, so please stay tuned to the Rockstar Newswire for official details.

On behalf of our entire team, we thank you all for your support and cannot wait to step into the future with you!

- Rockstar Games
Wow they're moving fast. It's only been one decade since GTA V.

cormack12

Gold Member
All joking aside I think they just mentioned this ahead of the call on the 6th is it? To deflect from shitty gta trilogy and bad publicity. Also make it seem like people are back hyped for gta v e&e

Verchod

I don't believe GTA VI is that close if they're willing to piss money up the wall milking/making a current Gen version of GTA V

3liteDragon

Technically, I can see this being an achievement, given that it's most likely gonna be on current-gen console hardware & PC only. But as a game overall in today's culture, idk man. And this is not coming out in 2024, 2026 at best.

Last edited:
Top Bottom