• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockstar Games confirms Grand Theft Auto 6 is in active development

Fbh

Too late Rockstar. We've already invited other people into our living room:
c2271-16299128154294.png

Technically, I can see this being an achievement, given that it's most likely gonna be on current-gen console hardware & PC only. But as a game overall in today's culture, idk man. And this is not coming out in 2024, 2026 at best.

Same, visuals and overall tech will probably be amazing.
I have very little hype for the actual game though, wouldn't be surprised if they make it more politically correct and put the main focus on GTA Online from the beginning.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I mean, who actually thought it WASN'T in development? It's been their cash-cow for decades now. GTA5 launched on the Xbox 360 for god's sake.....2 generations ago. So, of course it has been in development. It's been almost 10 years since GTA5

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
After getting burned on the trilogy, my hype levels - once high - are now miniscule.

I'm more looking forward to what the Houser brothers do with their studio.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
My gut tells me its going to be in Liberty City.

It is kinda there thing for a new gen, and Sam Houser is still there who lives in Brooklyn and he was a big reason why they keep coming back to liberty city.

Hopefully they will use an updated version of the RDR2 RAGE engine and not stray to far from it, visually they could up the polycount, increase the textures, add some Realtime G.i and that would be sufficient

Sosokrates

With the way things are going in society, I expect Rockstar to go full on 'woke' with GTA VI.

It would get slaughtered PR wise.

Sam Houser and the rest of R* will hopefully stick to there guns and take to the piss out of both sides.

Its impossible to make a GTA game and not have some people cry about it.

Let them cry, and it will still be a multi billion dollar seller.

EDMIX

will release at the end of PS5’s life cycle.

doubtful. If they are talking about this now, its because its window to release is very soon.

Look back at Red Dead 2's reveal and release dates.

Oct 2016 reveal
Oct 2018 release

same with GTA V too.

Oct 2011 reveal
Sep 2013 release

So even if we see a reveal like this year, that simply means they are aiming for 2023-2024 or something like that. I'd hardly call that the end of PS5 and Series X life cycle tbh.

Last edited:
doubtful. If they are talking about this now, its because its window to release is very soon.

Look back at Red Dead 2's reveal and release dates.

Oct 2016 reveal
Oct 2018 release

same with GTA V too.

Oct 2011 reveal
Sep 2013 release

So even if we see a reveal like this year, that simply means they are aiming for 2023-2024 or something like that. I'd hardly call that the end of PS5 and Series X life cycle tbh.
Does this count as a reveal?
watch the game release 4 years from now.

EDMIX

Does this count as a reveal?
watch the game release 4 years from now.

? Nope.

I mean I literally say "if we see a reveal like this year", as in later on or something. I don't see it being a 4 year release window as I believe they've been working on this game for a long time and they don't really like long marketing tails. Not as short as AC or Call Of Duty, but generally not extremely long windows.

Them confirming its development is significant in that they are starting that window, even with this small detail.

I think this will be the first truly lacklustre open world R* narrative.

Dan Houser won't have touched this narrative. They only give a shit about the online stuff now. I hope it's good and I'm wrong. Lots of potential with the cartel/miami & columbia rumours going around.

Ozzie666

Let's be honest, other than Halo, no one will throw the type of budget into a project. No stone unturned, no resource will be missing from the development. Each GTA has just pushed the limits and changed open world gaming. I guess the question now is, has everyone else caught up? or do they have another level and gear they can reach?

However if investors expect the insane success levels of 5 again, I'm not sure they can manage that. Is this going to be another on line affair, full of micro transactions and incorporate NFTs?

Not sure they can capture lightning in a bottle, again.

EDMIX

I fully expect GTA 6 to look on par or better than the matrix demo we got earlier.
Same

The most logical guess thus far imho.

I also wouldn't be shocked if it was cross gen if they started like years ago, but seeing how even EA is moving their games next gen only this early, I expect Rockstar to have a next gen only title.

Aaron Olive

We already knew Rockstar was making a new GTA. This announcement serves one purpose and that was to beg and remind those unaware of their greed to please buy our old half assed content, no price and no comparison footage like 2014 huh R*?

Last edited:

Fitzchiv

GTA VI is going to be a bit of a crossroads moment I think for the entire gaming, TV and movie industries combined.

If in its production they take a knee and dumb-down it's irreverence, violence and taking the piss out of the ridiculous elements of society then it will be the last entry in the series in single player format.

If it captures the zeitgeist and taps into the growing rejection of "woke" stupidity, then it'll likely continue to be a wild commercial success and may provide a milestone for the other forms of entertainment that have been destroying themselves.

clem84

Gold Member
My Series X will be happy to welcome GTAV next month! I played GTAV when it came out in 2013 and never again and been looking for an excuse to replay it.

Paasei

After scolding their own reputation for quite some time, I'm going into this thinking this will be a mediocre game at best. And I'll just wait and see IF I will be proven wrong.

Boss Mog

I feel like I will buy GTA V for the umpteenth time just to have the definitive version of what will probably be the last good GTA game made and the last GTA game I will buy.

cormack12

Gold Member
maybe its time to introduce all female protagonist.
That's so five years ago. What we actually want is a part female protagonist these days.

I wonder if this will prompt a question on the call. You said last week development was well underway, whay FY Q are we looking at for release?

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
That's so five years ago. What we actually want is a part female protagonist these days.

I wonder if this will prompt a question on the call. You said last week development was well underway, whay FY Q are we looking at for release?
nah im just jk, but yea i think its not surprising if this time theres at least 1 female part of the gang.

Sosokrates

After scolding their own reputation for quite some time, I'm going into this thinking this will be a mediocre game at best. And I'll just wait and see IF I will be proven wrong.

Sam Houser is still the President of Rockstar, He created R* and GTA, I dont think he will do a 180 on the brand. RDR2 came out in 2018 and still had that R* magic.

#NoFucksGiven

I want a new game, GTA5 is in the garbage bin to me no matter how many remasters they make. Waiting this long to even start developing the new sewuel? Shows you the new standards of Rockstar.
I get it now, I genuinely didn't know you were being sarcastic before. I understand how you feel.

Buhaj

Is this how they announced GTAV? I think they dropped a trailer on YouTube, I'm surprised they just posted a generic tweet this time instead.

Last edited:
Top Bottom