• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockstar Games confirms Grand Theft Auto 6 is in active development

Cock of War

My gut tells me it's gonna be Liberty City Cyberpunk setting like the first two.

It's the only way they have a chance of getting away with the "offensive" satire.

What? GTA 1 was not cyberpunk! It was contemporary and in fact set in Liberty City, Vice City and San Andreas.
GTA 2 might be considered cyberpunk, but I really never got into it. Futuristic at least.

I’m calling 2025 to 2026 at the earliest. I feel GTA Online will unfortunately dominate Rockstar’s attention again though when GTA6 comes out. It will have a story mode I’m assuming, right? Right?

Why does it take 10+ years to create a new GTA game?
GTA Online and literally everyone on the planet buying the game in droves 3 generations in a row was probably the large contributing factor I’m assuming. Yeah, it’s still ridiculous it took 10 years plus.

NeoGiffer

5PGP.gif

This GTA announcement reminds me TES6 announcement from Bethesda. More like give the assurance to public rather than real announcement.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war

Because enough people in charge lost there nerve, were probably scared about releasing in a trump presidency (one of the housers even said they were thankful not to be releasing during trumps era).

Its really sad, GTA is one of my favourite franchises. But dummies keep on playing a 9yr game and take 2/R* dont care about the brand and creativity as long as its making money.

I really dont know why a dev does not really try hard to make a game using the GTA formula. Even if it was 1/4 the size of GTA5s map , as long as the quality was high it would take a lot away from GTA, which would light a fire under Rockstars ass.

Last edited:

Sybrix

Tbh….how the fuck could GTA VI have come out in the last 5 years? It would have seemed tame given real world events.

GTA lampoons and parodies society in the most extreme way…. And the last 5 years has felt like living in a GTA polarization!

Having a strange orange TV celebrity as president, 1000s genders, ‘men’ having babies, wokism etc, it’s not something even GTA would have done.

Fools idol

Banned
I'm really intrigued how they handle this one in the current political climate. Stuff that was in GTA V is not going to fly with the current oversensitivity in the media.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
We're gonna play the final version of this before we get a glimpse of Metroid Prime 4.

Because GTA online makes them more than enough money to not have to create a new game. Tons of people still play and buy microtransactions for GTA online.

The only reason we got so many GTA games in the past was because they didn't have a cash cow like GTA online before.

I would not be surprised if GTA 6 is a multiplayer only game that expands on the current GTA online

Woggleman

It breaks my heart to see what has happened to a studio I used to love. From 2001 to 2013 they could do no wrong in my eyes.

mortal

Gold Member
Tbh….how the fuck could GTA VI have come out in the last 5 years? It would have seemed tame given real world events.

GTA lampoons and parodies society in the most extreme way…. And the last 5 years has felt like living in a GTA polarization!

Having a strange orange TV celebrity as president, 1000s genders, ‘men’ having babies, wokism etc, it’s not something even GTA would have done.
None of that would be relevant if GTA VI doesn't take place in modern day again like GTA V.
It'll likely be a period setting instead, and after a decade of GTA V that would honestly be preferable imo. 1970s setting would be way more interesting.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I'm really intrigued how they handle this one in the current political climate. Stuff that was in GTA V is not going to fly with the current oversensitivity in the media.

Same. I personally think GTAVI will be hugely toned down compared to previous installments.

GreatnessRD

GTA Online and literally everyone on the planet buying the game in droves 3 generations in a row was probably the large contributing factor I’m assuming. Yeah, it’s still ridiculous it took 10 years plus.
Its still wild to me that GTAV released when I was in my mid 20s. And we still don't have the next version. Shit is crazy outchea. I don't have any faith in the next one because GTA Online is the main focus going forward.

Hard to get excited about this when it probably gives them like another four years to maneuver. Life is too short to wait for Rockstar games.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
My gut tells me its going to be in Liberty City.
There have been some leaks suggesting a combination of Vice City and a an island nation as well as some smaller islands in between.

The fact that this is in active development shouldn't really be news to anyone. Rockstar takes their damn time with development, but they are working.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Because they can. Because it will sell for 10+ years and justify their budget many times over.

No game in history has generated the revenue of GTA5. It's the second best selling game of all time, behind Minecraft, it's moved 155 million copies (at about twice the price of Minecraft) on top of a huge revenue stream of microtransactions. It was in the top 10 selling games for EIGHT YEARS in a row, and it still makes money.

So if it takes them 10 years, it's because they know if they do it right, it will make them money for 10 more years.

There have been some leaks suggesting a combination of Vice City and a an island nation as well as some smaller islands in between.

The fact that this is in active development shouldn't really be news to anyone. Rockstar takes their damn time with development, but they are working.
Wasnt the rumor Miami and Cuba (GTA counterparts) with a male and female protagonist?

Ozrimandias

Another way to mitigate the "We're going to fully charge another entry of GTAV"

"Hey but also we're developing GTAVI, just stay tuned you guys!"

"We're only developed 2 games in the last 9 years"

Its still wild to me that GTAV released when I was in my mid 20s. And we still don't have the next version. Shit is crazy outchea. I don't have any faith in the next one because GTA Online is the main focus going forward.
Yeah, I’m definitely feeling that the single player campaign assuming there is one is going to take a big backseat to the online portion. I’m sure GTA: Online is one of the main reasons everyone has to wait so long for GTA6.

Last edited:
Top Bottom