• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockstar Games confirms Grand Theft Auto 6 is in active development

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Who doesn’t want to play GTA6 now? Gamers want it and love everything GTA stands for it’s the polar opposite of JRPGs, first person shooters etc. it doesn’t everything in its power to be BAD.
30 years trucks GIF by Monster Jam
season 4 GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Who doesn’t want to play GTA6 now? Gamers want it and love everything GTA stands for it’s the polar opposite of JRPGs, first person shooters etc. it doesn’t everything in its power to be BAD.
30 years trucks GIF by Monster Jam
season 4 GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants
After reading that article? Loads of people I'd bet.

Sounds puritanical and sterile as hell. GTA is a satire of modern culture. Who wants a sanitised version of GTA?

Either everyone is a target or nobody is. It's going to be all the obvious "capiltalism bad" "karens" "patriarchy bad" jokes. There's a certain edginess to GTA that isn't racist, homophobic or transphobic but moreso holds a mirror to society and just intensifies aspects of American culture, I think we might lose some of that given this "cultural reset" which is occurring at Rockstar.

I hope I am proven wrong and I hope the game is great, but we'll have to wait and see.

Heylon

“Rockstar’s next game, Grand Theft Auto VI, will include a playable female protagonist… Developers are also being cautious not to “punch down” by making jokes about marginalized groups…. Rockstar has attempted to reinvent itself as a more progressive and compassionate workplace.”

so a Resetera friendly GTA, got it. Wonder what they’ll replace the prostitutes with…?

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
“Rockstar’s next game, Grand Theft Auto VI, will include a playable female protagonist… Developers are also being cautious not to “punch down” by making jokes about marginalized groups…. Rockstar has attempted to reinvent itself as a more progressive and compassionate workplace.”

so a Resetera friendly GTA, got it. Wonder what they’ll replace the prostitutes with…?
Yeah it's dead on arrival.

Zs7JZIK.jpg

Woggleman

I actually would not mind a female protagonist but the woke language they are using is not looking good. I never thought I would see the day.

Woggleman

I just don't understand who this is for? Part of the appeal of GTA is it's unpc nature and it's renegade kind of status. They are the fans who made it what it is today so who exactly is the audience for a woke GTA?

That being said if done right a Bonnie and Clyde kind of story could work very well.

amigastar

We don't know anything about the game and people already calling it out that it's dead on arrival? At least wait for a trailer.

Last edited:
It will sell like nothing else ever did but it'll be disappointing to the old crew. GTA is clearly aiming to not be the satire of American culture that used to be. It'll be inclusive and full of millennial internet culture jokes. It might not be bad per se, but I get the message that I'm not their core audience anymore. I enjoyed my stay from GTA1 to GTAV but I'm tempering my expectations.

mckmas8808

Banned

Does Rockstar not "get it"? Those jokes aren't "punching down" on marginalized groups. Not when everybody was getting them jokes. I think the new Rockstar doesn't get it at all. :(

NickFire

This is going to be a complete trainwreck isn't it?
I was really interested when I first heard about a Bonnie and Clyde type storyline. Sounded like a golden opportunity to spin an old (real life) story for a modern audience. Satire could be hard hitting and really on point when you consider the horrible things the real duo did while being romanticized by story tellers. The duo could be covered in victim's blood while reading tweets (etc) making them into hero's, and really get people thinking about the difference between facts and narratives through satire.

Then I read the actual article. I now have no hope for this game after reading: "Senior executives at the company, concerned about how the narrative"; "Developers are also being cautious not to “punch down” by making jokes about"; "Rockstar has attempted to reinvent itself as a more progressive and compassionate workplace"; "But the development of Grand Theft Auto VI has been slower than impatient fans and even longtime employees have expected"; and "The game has been in development in some form since 2014. Although there are loose schedules in place, people interviewed for this article said they didn’t know of any firm release date and that they expect the game to be at least two years away."

If the article is accurate, which I have no reason to dispute, then in my humble opinion we will be getting a game that took at least 10 years to develop by a company that eschews both itself and the type of content that let it to succeed previously. So yeah, it sounds like a train wreck.

Top Bottom