• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockstar Games DMCA strike the creator of GTA

CuNi

Rockstar Games just has to stop existing already... the world would be a better place
The world would be a better place when such tools wouldn't benefit big companies but the people or have hefty fines/penalties if misused.
Same with YouTube strikes, where people can just claim your videos and get your revenue. There could be such an easy solution where YouTube holds the money until the situation is resolved and pays either party the money the video generated in that period.

In this case, the proof should lie with the claimer that the content should be taken down, not just an automated system where a big company points its finger at something and everyone ducks in fear and complies because they got money for a long legal battle.

ManaByte

i seent it GIF

I was working at the publication when it happened. Thankfully the PS2 EIC at the time stood his ground and told Rockstar to pound sand and that 9.7 was a good enough score and it didn't meet the standards at the time for a 10.
Pretty shitty, this is a copyright issue though so very different.

No, his point was that R*, the entity, is a fucking asshole. Not different at all in those terms.
No very different, one is an individual from Rockstar being a dick, this is the publisher acting within the law due to a copyright infringement. Nintendo does this all the time by the way.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Any one up the reups or hopefully saved?

Rockstar truely is the shit of the shit now. Even their built up good will isn’t enough to save GTA6 if it goes full woke agenda shit.

Unknown?

GTA IV was, for it's time, a 10/10 game though...but the fact you said "checkmate" leads me to believe that reasoning was not involved here.
I was just kidding since no amount of evidence would change his mind. And I disagree, GTA4 was worse than the trilogy on PS2.

coffinbirth

No very different, one is an individual from Rockstar being a dick, this is the publisher acting within the law due to a copyright infringement. Nintendo does this all the time by the way.
So, you think a PR guy for R* wasn't implicitly told to do such a thing by R*? Okie dokie.

oldergamer

Rockstar as a company has always acted like an asshole to employees or platform holders. I recall, going to to the Sony headquarters and hearing how much they hated the way Rockstar would strong arm them with GTA ( Talking PS2 days )

I also know of one person (rest his soul) that was worked into an early grave by all the bullshit overtime hours that were a culture requirement. He was one of 3 people that got me into the game industry.

I heard speeches telling people they are doing overtime, and that they don't give a fuck if they ruin marriages. They had the attitude of "if you don't like it, there is the door ". I even heard early day stories of people that worked at DMA where the two managers would take you into an alley and rough you up if they got out of line.

Anyway, Rockstar stopped being relevant a long time ago imo. It doesn't surprise me if that company hasn't changed after leadership were forced out.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Rockstar Games' legal team strikes again, this time instead of going after mod makers or people uploading save game files they've gone after Mike Dailly, a founding member of DMA Design (now Rockstar North) and one of the original creators behind a little known game series called Grand Theft Auto...

Zg.gif

coffinbirth

I was just kidding since no amount of evidence would change his mind. And I disagree, GTA4 was worse than the trilogy on PS2.
GTA IV was objectively technically better in every way in terms of gameplay, visuals and controls. It's a good game that still holds up far better today than the PS2 trilogy.

It also had the best story of the series, but that's obviously subjective.

Personally, I feel like GTA III barely had any story worth even mentioning, Vice City completely ripped off Scarface, and San Andreas was a sloppy mish mash of 90's rap, it's culture and movies that started out strong and petered out well before the end. None of these games stories(the environmental and Lazlo-esque stuff is always hilarious) are well written save for some choice lines in San Andreas, IMO. Fun to fuck around in, but they don't hold up quite the same way that IV does. Hell, even the DLC has better writing, missions and stories. The Ballad of Gay Tony and The Lost and The Damned are both top shelf GTA. This was Rockstars peak, IMHO.

GTA V was a major letdown in this department for me the way the story and branching narrative bullshit was implemented, and a lot of the physics systems and other actual gameplay stuff was a step back from IV as well.

Not trying to have a GTA argument here, but saying that "GTA4 was worse than the trilogy on PS2" cannot go unchecked.

He’s not involved with the company who owns GTA so why is it being emphasized that he’s the creator? Like that absolves him on a legal level.

YCoCg

He’s not involved with the company who owns GTA so why is it being emphasized that he’s the creator? Like that absolves him on a legal level.
Because why is him talking about and showing his work from 27 years ago about how he and the team created GTA and talking about their work on GTA2 exactly "damaging the franchise" and such excuses the lawyers used to issue the DMCA?

Yeah... I can't do it no more... Fuck Rockstar and T2. They can shove the franchise where the sun don't shine

You'll play it like everyone else after the previews, hype, and reviews come in.

If you didn't use a product because of shitty business habits you'd be living by yourself in a cabin in the woods.

Because why is him talking about and showing his work from 27 years ago about how he and the team created GTA and talking about their work on GTA2 exactly "damaging the franchise" and such excuses the lawyers used to issue the DMCA?
Because you and I both know Rockstar gives no hecks about the original games. This shouldn’t even be a discussion.

With that being said they still own it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom