• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rockstar Mag] GTA VI is a big mess and is likely to be bad

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Chris from R* Mag (who is very well informed and proven to be reliable) heard this summer that if GTA VI is still a long way off, it's because it's a mess.

logo-gta-vi-captain-hishiro.jpg

Yes, GTA VI has been restarted after Dan Houser's departure.
Chris also points out that the story of GTA VI was already changed before Dan Houser's departure.
This is mainly due to what has happened in recent years (Dan Houser leaving R * is a direct consequence).

R * CANNOT provide any information on GTA VI (the original announcement was slated for 2020) because they changed the story and other game elements too many times since 2019, so don't count on something related to GTA VI soon.
This is the most chaotic project R * has managed to date. More than RDR 1 and GTA IV. He didn't want to develop but that's not a good sign.

Chris also confirms that the game will take place in 2 time period. He saw the map and other elements but everything is changing so fast, it's useless to share anything (but some leaks align with what he knows).
R * is aiming for something more mainstream for GTA VI. (Please note that I'm using mainstream but it's a bit 'strong' for the original meaning in French. The literal traduction is 'general audience')

Red Dead Redemption Remastered is happening for Xbox Series/PS5/PC but is not set to release soon. Expect something ala GTA Trilogy Remastered (not a full remake, but more than a simple resolution upscale).
No remaster for GTA IV, and GTA V current gen could be postponed again (maybe April/May).

Source are in French:

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I obviously don't know if it's true, but just the idea that the development of GTA 6 is a mess has a ring of truth; GTA 5 released basically seven years ago at this point, and we've seen nathan regarding a followup. Out there are people who began playing GTA 5 as a freshman in highschool, and are now soon to graduate college, and all during that time not a single ball hair of an update from R* regarding a followup.

ZehDon

I keep saying the time has never been better for somebody to come in with a GTA killer but nobody is stepping up to the plate
In an alternate universe, Sleeping Dogs 2 launches to rave reviews, incredible sales, and firmly established a contender to the throne. Alas, we are stuck in the darkest timeline, where GTAVI needs to be “mainstream” when it’s predecessor has sailed past 100 million copies sold.

Zones

I keep saying the time has never been better for somebody to come in with a GTA killer but nobody is stepping up to the plate
Well Cyberpunk tried...

I obviously don't know if it's true, but just the idea that the development of GTA 6 is a mess has a ring of truth; GTA 5 released basically seven years ago at this point, and we've seen nathan regarding a followup. Out there are people who began playing GTA 5 as a freshman in highschool, and are now soon to graduate college, and all during that time not a single ball hair of an update from R* regarding a followup.
GTA V launched over 8 years ago, Sept 2013.

Go Woke Go Broke

sad to see this has infected even a game series like GTA

is nothing sacred anymore from these blue haired nazis that have taken over?
Don't blame the woke gas-lighting crowd on this... blame the ones that aren't able to keep their artistic vision and integrity to try and virtue signal instead.
Artists are supposed to be counter culture and push barriers and norms.

GreatnessRD

Sadly those weirdos have a louder voice than the rest of the world. A politically correct gta, imagine that lol. The end of the world is just around the corner 🤣🤣
The End we didn't want, but The End we deserved because of cancel culture, snowflakes and binary frying pans. You just hate to see it.

But to the topic, I didn't have any hope for the next GTA once the Houser brother left. Just some pieces shouldn't be changed and this might prove to be one of them. Time will tell however. Just praying for the best but expecting the worst for GTAVI.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
People really dont know about game development, most games are mess before the final stretch of development.
However this could still be true. Not only are games of GTAs quality, expectation and size very hard to make but in todays social + political climate im sure many people will clash on its direction.

More mainstream? GTA is the most mainstream franchise on the market. I fear that political and social agendas are trying to influence its direction.

Can't wait until I play as a non-binary or trans character next time around. All while hilariously murdering 1000's of civilians and robbing prostitutes after they give me a bj in the car.
You know... keeping it politically correct for the new generation :messenger_sunglasses:(y)

i can't see GTA VI being anywhere near as successful at GTA V. i know the post said about Dan leaving but don't forget about Leslie Benzies. he was very important to GTA. dan might've been the guy at the top of Rockstar but Leslie was the one in Scotland running Rockstar North which is the studio that does GTA games.

rockstar have a shit load of money and can get the worlds most talented developers/writers/managers,etc. who wouldn't want to work on a GTA game? so yeah i'm not saying GTA VI will be a failure. it could be utter shit and still sell a fuck load of copies. for GTA VI to be more successful than GTA V it needs to become the 2nd best selling video game of all time. i think it's at ~150m copies sold so far and that's not even including upcoming current gen versions.

i don't think we'll see anything the on level of GTA V and people will need to keep realistic expectations which is too hard for a lot of gamers apparently.

I know you really can't dictate this and there are all kinds of slippery slope arguments to be made but I would love for game dev/pubs to limit how much time their employees spend on social media, they all are so hooked on getting likes and want love from the echo chamber that it's not healthy.

As far as GTA aren't they all a huge mess (RDR too) until about 3-6 months before launch?

Boss Mog

I can handle all the delays but saying that they're making the franchise suitable for modern audiences is the worst thing ever. It pretty much kills the franchise for me since the whole point of GTA was not to be politically correct and be counter-culture satire. If they had the balls now would be the best time to make a real modern-day GTA game. So much stuff they could make fun of.

Looks at the market cap and those companies DEI/ESG policies, and the top grossing movies..... Hope you don't believe that phrase is actually true in any meaningful way.

look at the recent Chapelle Show

my comment was tongue in cheek.

But people play GTA because that’s what their game serves, as satire for this clown show society. Curtailing it and spiting your audience to pander to woke political snowflake “ can’t hurt any one’s feelings” narratives will have a detrimental impact to this specific game’s appeal/sales

I don’t believe any word of just some random dude. I mean “things change too quickly, so nothing worth to share”?

If he would have something he would share it, regardless if it might change again..

cormack12

Gold Member
giphy-downsized.gif

I think this is likely just a hot take. The interesting things to me are when the decision to split GTA:Online out from the base game was made. I can imagine, given how massive online grew, and the changes, modes etc. that there is a lot of strange and wonderful code in there to make things work. The online component has several issues. This is how you put body armor on, in the actual game (while engaged in firefights or running away from people). That's right, you have to somehow reach over to the select button, navigate menus (which locks you out of in-world controls) and then select apply body armour. Imagine running away from a heist police chase across open ground (mashing 'A' while trying to do this).

Let's not talk about health either in which if you try and eat a snack to replenish health, the player pulls out a snack and starts to eat it properly, again locking you out of any other input (unless you lock it in prior). You have to take cover against a wall and then select it (from a menu) and then it applies it directly, or lock yourself into action (ADS) where it just applies it instantly.

Then you have weird spawn issues where sometimes your vehicle will spawn on the road next to you, others it will be miles away. Sometimes it will spawn outside a gated compound. But you can spawn Kosatka Sparrows anywhere. I have no doubt that removing Online will remove a lot of spaghetti code from the standalone game as it's just grown and grown and you can see the limitations of them using an immersive sim base into an online game just doesn't translate well and I'm hoping they change that. Online needs to be a bit more gamey/arcadey for it to improve.

Something like Watch Dogs II showed that a world like what Ubisoft built was fine overall. Add to that the R* talent and eye to detail and it would be so good. Despite what the story is or anything, the world should still be built and blocked out a while ago. The world isn't going to change for example so no idea why they haven't just released a city tease.

We are also looking at ways to improve the GTA Online experience for new and returning players in the upcoming release of GTA Online for the PS5 and Xbox Series X|S next March – stay tuned to the Rockstar Newswire for details on this and more information about the expanded and enhanced releases of GTAV and GTA Online in the months to come.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Listen, maybe it's 4:30 in the morning here and I'm thinking about when I see friends like this and God bless you for thinking it's a good idea but who is this person and why should we care what they have to say? And why should we care about a game that isn't coming for years and it's status right at this very second?

Keep in mind that I'm having my morning coffee right now and I'm not a son of a bitch. But I'm hoping for the best and all of the Grand theft autos from the beginning I've been fight appealing and allow me to still continue to be excited enough regardless of how triggered or woke or whatever the trend that the Grand theft Auto games follow I certainly do hope it's more like the first three PlayStation titles versus the last.

reksveks

my comment was tongue in cheek.
As long as it was that, sadly I have seen too many people believe in it.

Curtailing it and spiting your audience to pander to woke political snowflake “ can’t hurt any one’s feelings” narratives will have a detrimental impact to this specific game’s appeal/sales
In theory but unfortunately there isn't any real evidence that the whole market really cares too much.

Top Bottom