• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rockstar Mag] GTA VI is a big mess and is likely to be bad

Bartski

Gold Member
I have no doubt Take Two has asked Rockstar to tone it down. They don't want the headaches that have come from watching the Ubisoft and Activision mess. We need to be prepared for games to change and that includes games like Grand Theft Auto. It sucks, but its going to happen. It's obvious that Take Two wants this to be more toned down.

They key is can they find the right balance between these compromises to keep it well loved while at the same time minimizing the grumbling from the extreme progressive mob that permeates the media and other groups. I, as many, have my doubts.
I have no doubt making sure there is no "grumbling from the extreme progressive mob" will be Take Two's biggest priority making the follow up to the highest-grossing entertainment product of all time

Edgelord79

Gold Member
I have no doubt making sure there is no "grumbling from the extreme progressive mob" will be Take Two's biggest priority making the follow up to the highest-grossing entertainment product of all time
I said to "minimize" the grumbling not "no" grumbling. Also, I am just guessing that the Hausers leaving and this type of rumour are probably related a bit somehow. The game will still sell millions of copies based on name alone. Again, I don't want this to happen, but its happening in every other company (within and outside of video games), so why is this particular thing excluded? The money will be made regardless based on name recognition alone.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
'R * is aiming for something more mainstream for GTA VI. (Please note that I'm using mainstream but it's a bit 'strong' for the original meaning in French. The literal traduction is 'general audience')'

Huge red flag. I'm expecting GTAVI to be really toned down from other games in the series.

Does anyone (maybe KyoZz KyoZz ) know any other good French video game YouTube channels? I find that the French have a much more mature and sophisticated style of YouTube presentation in general and I'd like to start getting more of my gaming news from them

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
I don't think I even care about GTA6 at this point. GTA had it's time in the spotlight of gaming history.

ultrazilla

Chris from R* Mag (who is very well informed and proven to be reliable) heard this summer that if GTA VI is still a long way off, it's because it's a mess.

logo-gta-vi-captain-hishiro.jpg

Yes, GTA VI has been restarted after Dan Houser's departure.
Chris also points out that the story of GTA VI was already changed before Dan Houser's departure.
This is mainly due to what has happened in recent years (Dan Houser leaving R * is a direct consequence).

R * CANNOT provide any information on GTA VI (the original announcement was slated for 2020) because they changed the story and other game elements too many times since 2019, so don't count on something related to GTA VI soon.
This is the most chaotic project R * has managed to date. More than RDR 1 and GTA IV. He didn't want to develop but that's not a good sign.

Chris also confirms that the game will take place in 2 time period. He saw the map and other elements but everything is changing so fast, it's useless to share anything (but some leaks align with what he knows).
R * is aiming for something more mainstream for GTA VI. (Please note that I'm using mainstream but it's a bit 'strong' for the original meaning in French. The literal traduction is 'general audience')

Red Dead Redemption Remastered is happening for Xbox Series/PS5/PC but is not set to release soon. Expect something ala GTA Trilogy Remastered (not a full remake, but more than a simple resolution upscale).
No remaster for GTA IV, and GTA V current gen could be postponed again (maybe April/May).

Source are in French:

I usually throw huge chunks of salt around with these type reports but this just feels different.
Unfortunately this is probably true. The "two time" periods has to entail a ton of programming work and with
the project undergoing numerous "re-starts"(I believe so anyways) it just adds to the chaos.

I don't think we'll be seeing this for another 2-3 years minimum. That's why we're getting "remasters" now because part 6 isn't anywhere close to being done.

And you know what? That's fine with me. I don't want a shitty GTA game. If it's crap, that's something Rockstar may not recover from ala Cyberpunk 2077. I'm not sure CD Projekt will
ever recover *fully* from that horrible launch. R* hopefully understands that and will take their time.

It's not like they need to rush anyways. I mean GTA online makes hundreds of millions of dollars a year for them anyways.

I just wish R* would ease up on the single player mod scene(graphical overhauls). They were leaving the modders alone but apparently R* is back screwing with them.

MiguelItUp

I think it's hysterical to even think of what GTA is and has been, but then try to make it "woke." It just doesn't make any sense to me. I mean, it's like South Park going "woke", which seems ludicrous. But I suppose with Dan Houser's departure, and things shifting around there could certainly be some strange things going odd. I just personally don't see or understand how GTA as a series could improve. I feel like we've already seen everything we can, and need to. Sure, you could add more "things to do", details, etc. But how much further would that really carry it?

I thought GTA V was a fine game, more impressive in terms of technology for the time, etc. But so many things about it were pretty forgettable IMO. I mean, I remember more story points from the previous games than anything in V.

It's a series that's gone on for quite sometime, and I'm really not sure where else it could go. Hell, I feel that way about Red Dead Redemption as well. I loved both games, but I don't think there's much else that could be done to improve everything.

Yoda

I vaguely recall a Houser quote along the lines of "I don't know how I'd write the satire in today's environment". I think one of the two brothers is still there, but with Leslie gone as well, Rockstar is really close to being staffed by a MBA from Take Two. Even if GTA 6 is a stinker, the franchise had an incredible run.

clarky

Gold Member
Noped out as soon as he said "the map and other elements are changing so fast there is no point sharing any details" typical insider fluff.

Woodchipper

How anyone can be excited for anything R* makes nowadays is beyond my comprehension. I mean, they just delayed a remaster of GTAV, which has already been released for two console generations straight. They simply suck.

Raven117

Gold Member
Did I miss where they said the story was changed for “modern audiences” or are all yeah just hand-wringing based on nothing?

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Does anyone (maybe KyoZz KyoZz ) know any other good French video game YouTube channels? I find that the French have a much more mature and sophisticated style of YouTube presentation in general and I'd like to start getting more of my gaming news from them
Yes I agree. You have this channel: Julien Chieze
He do review, interview with dev, talk about rumor and he know a lot of people in the industry (recently he talked a little bit about PSVR2 for example, I didn't make a thread because of people like that)

Other channel I can recommend you:
Monsieur Plouf, Atomium, Sheshounet.

I usually throw huge chunks of salt around with these type reports but this just feels different.
Unfortunately this is probably true. The "two time" periods has to entail a ton of programming work and with
the project undergoing numerous "re-starts"(I believe so anyways) it just adds to the chaos.

I don't think we'll be seeing this for another 2-3 years minimum. That's why we're getting "remasters" now because part 6 isn't anywhere close to being done.

And you know what? That's fine with me. I don't want a shitty GTA game. If it's crap, that's something Rockstar may not recover from ala Cyberpunk 2077. I'm not sure CD Projekt will
ever recover *fully* from that horrible launch. R* hopefully understands that and will take their time.

It's not like they need to rush anyways. I mean GTA online makes hundreds of millions of dollars a year for them anyways.

I just wish R* would ease up on the single player mod scene(graphical overhauls). They were leaving the modders alone but apparently R* is back screwing with them.
Yep. I just hope we can get a good GTA VI too.

Did I miss where they said the story was changed for “modern audiences” or are all yeah just hand-wringing based on nothing?
Yeah I'm searching for it, he says exactly: "the story has been changed even before the departure of Sam Houser, to make it more appealing to the general audience (not modern audience)"

Last edited:

Wildebeest

I guess there haven't been enough new crime shows and movies for them to plagiarize. Sorry, satirically homage in a totally clever way.

Raven117

Gold Member
Yes I agree. You have this channel: Julien Chieze
He do review, interview with dev, talk about rumor and he know a lot of people in the industry (recently he talked a little bit about PSVR2 for example, I didn't make a thread because of people like that)

Other channel I can recommend you:
Monsieur Plouf, Atomium, Sheshounet.

Yep. I just hope we can get a good GTA VI too.

Yeah I'm searching for it, he says exactly: "the story has been changed even before the departure of Sam Houser, to make it more appealing to the general audience (not modern audience)"
Wow, alright. 3 pages based on nothing.

TheMan

Disheartening but perhaps inevitable? These games keep getting bigger and bigger and expectations are insane, so it makes sense there’d be turmoil as to how they’d meet these expectations. Add in the departure of a big dog (who was deeply involved in development) and you have a recipe for disaster.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Wow, alright. 3 pages based on nothing.
This is the only point I can't find the timer. But feel free to look the whole video.
You are the reason why people don't post leaks anymore, if you don't like it don't click it's simple. If you click just to act like an ass you can go look elsewhere (and question yourself).

Major leaks happened before with people like you saying "hurhurhur this is so fake" remember the map of RDRII leaked years before the release?
This is true for you too Abriael_GN Abriael_GN & Jdroop Jdroop

SaucyJack

The Housers were Rockstar. They left the building and here we are. I bet there's a power vacuum that's trying to be filled with infighting while corporate is trying to milk the corpse.

Not just the Housers.

The creatives that made GTA what it is were Dan Houser, Leslie Benzies and, to a lesser extent, Lazlow Jones. They’re all gone.

Airbus Jr

Banned
People need to calm down gta under new management can still be good aswell even in a different ways, people comes and go all the time and yes that include people like housers

Last edited:

SaucyJack

He didn't work on RDR2 and it turned out to be great.

Sam Houser didn't leave.

RDR2 is a good game, which looks great, but is quite overrated IMO. It is the first game produced post-Benzies and it shows in a lot of ways. It is the least rockstarry rockstar game.

Sam Houser isn't really a creative btw, he was more the businessman whilst Dan is the creative.

From reporting on the lawsuit ….

Benzies largely led Rockstar’s project design and in the implementation of ideas, based in part on storylines developed by Dan Houser. His lead role is “established by Bugstar’s objective measurement metrics.” In fact, Sam Houser reportedly had no account for Bugstar.

Overall, it looks like if it wasn’t for Leslie Benzies, Rockstar’s biggest releases such as Grand Theft Auto IV, Red Dead Redemption, and Grand Theft Auto V might have been very different games.

Last edited:

Fbh

To be fair I wouldn't want to be in charge of making the follow up to GTAV. The pressure must be enormous.

Imagine you only end up selling 90 million copies. You'll have to face the shareholders like:

Suicide Samurai GIF

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
So same as every GTA since 3? I cannot imagine how the mission design could get much more stupid than in GTA5.

Raven117

Gold Member
This is the only point I can't find the timer. But feel free to look the whole video.
You are the reason why people don't post leaks anymore, if you don't like it don't click it's simple. If you click just to act like an ass you can go look elsewhere (and question yourself).

Major leaks happened before with people like you saying "hurhurhur this is so fake" remember the map of RDRII leaked years before the release?
You are misunderstanding my post. I was eye rolling at 3 pages worth of people claiming “zomg! Sjw ruining gta!” Maybe they are or maybe they aren’t but based on that leak we have no idea.

so save the lecture

Last edited:

hyperbertha

Are people here just too dumb to read between the lines? Houser left because rockstar was going woke and his creative input was no longer needed for the 'new direction' they are taking. 'Modern Audiences' mean 'progressive' audiences. Its not rocket science.

RDR2 will be the last great game Rockstar made. It is sad but true. I just wish somebody else would pick up the mantle from them in the open world crime genre.

What evidence is there for this? We know and have seen nothing of GTA 6 yet. It could still be a good game even with the political bullshit.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year

Broken clocks are correct twice a day.

Guilty_AI

What evidence is there for this? We know and have seen nothing of GTA 6 yet. It could still be a good game even with the political bullshit.
its not 100% certain but if i had to bet between GTA6 sucking or not sucking, i'd go with the latter.
The cracks were already forming for a while now with key people leaving them, the astounding success of gta online coupled with them putting almost their entire focus on it, some of their recent statements about the direction the company is going, RDR2s horrendous game design... personally i have no plans to give too much attention to their games going forward.

Boss Mog

You are misunderstanding my post. I was eye rolling at 3 pages worth of people claiming “zomg! Sjw ruining gta!” Maybe they are or maybe they aren’t but based on that leak we have no idea.

so save the lecture
They already ruined Saints Row which was even more out there than GTA.

Stuart360

To be honest i'm sure a lot of whats said here happens with most big budget games.
The woke stuff though, yeah they can get fucked with that. I simply wont buy the game. I'm a huge GTA fan but i dont conform to this fascist woke disease infesting the current world. I have missed out on a few games i really wanted to play, but doing this with GTA is a step too far.
Fucke them, and the game.

Javthusiast

Banned
We obviosuly have no proof, but as mentioned here already, with key people leaving, online having a huge impact on the development probably and current social climate mean it could influence the game into a bad direction.

its not 100% certain but if i had to bet between GTA6 sucking or not sucking, i'd go with the latter.
The cracks were already forming for a while now with key people leaving them, the astounding success of gta online coupled with them putting almost their entire focus on it, some of their recent statements about the direction the company is going, RDR2s horrendous game design... personally i have no plans to give too much attention to their games going forward.

I would love to be wrong but I have a bad feeling. Two of the people who made their past games great are gone.

Yeah there have been changes at the studio and also the world and society has changed alot and we are seeing some of the effects seep into videogames but Im willing to give rockstar the benefit of the doubt. Let's give the fresh blood at the studio a chance first.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I dont think it will be bad, theres just to much money on the line.
They will delay it until its at least a 90+ metacritic.
The formula of GTA is actually rather simple.

• Satire of reality, take the piss out of modern culture.
  • Very detailed world
  • Crime related missions and story

I think the hardest part is having a great story and fun varied missions.

But they have the budget and time to hire the best people, so I don't know how they can fuck it up.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
They already ruined Saints Row which was even more out there than GTA.

The sad part is, its not even realistic.
You can push leftist politics without wearing tight jeans and having purple hair.

If you were to take a bunch of random Hillary or biden voters I think you would find they are not a bunch of progressive student hipsters.

Taking breaking bad, I would not be surprised if walter white and gale voted democrat. Some may think gale is some vegan woke hippie and maybe he is, but he has a ton more depth then the chracters in the new saints row.

ripeavocado

Banned
Old R* is dead, most of the old guard has left and they managed to be even more mismanaged than before.

I expect an half gassed woke, “cinematic” and boring GTA 6 that exists only to push GTA Online for 10 more years.

Please somebody restarts a new R* we need their games now more than ever

Top Bottom