• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockstar reportedly turned down Eminem for a GTA movie

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

According to Kirk Ewing, an agent and co-founder of virtual avatar app Veemee, a late-night conversation with former Rockstar boss Sam Houser almost lead to the multi-time grammy winning rapper starring in a film based on the franchise.

Speaking on Bugzy Malone’s Grandest Game podcast, Ewing recalled: “Because of the relationship that I had with Rockstar and I had with Sam, I actually tracked him down to his hotel room one night where I knew he was going to be staying for a while, and the two of us stayed up late and talked about the possibility of making a film.

“This was just after Grand Theft Auto 3. And I think at that point, it was still in Sam’s mind that it might be something that he wanted to do.”

He continued: “I remember taking a call at about 4am from one of the producers in LA with an offer to make a film, and he said: ‘Kirk, we’ve got Eminem to star, and it’s a Tony Scott film, five million on the nose, are you interested?’

“And I phoned up Sam and said: ‘Look, you need to listen to this. They want Eminem in the Grand Theft Auto movie and Tony Scott to direct.’ And he said: ‘Not interested.’

“At that point, they withdrew from any conversation about making a film, when they realised that the media franchise that they had was bigger than any movie that was going on at the time.”

PJX

which is a great film.

Not really

He was actually good in it

His acting was decent imo
Jake Gyllenhaal No GIF

TheMan

Video game movies around that time were especially vile (remember Uwe Boll?) so I can understand why they held off.

AJUMP23

That was a good idea.

You want a GTA movie, watch Heat. Also GTA steals/borrows from so many movies that it would be like making a Lara Croft film or and Uncharted film after they took Indiana Jones ideas.

Top Bottom